LEGO Elves!

Aanchir

Despite checked the website a few times a day for updates (don't judge me), I definitely managed to miss that accidental upload. Must have been while I was at work. I have not been checking the LEGO shop site so thanks for posting that page.

Great that we now have those hi-resolution images of the March sets- I see a new transparent purple chain which I consider a necessary acquisition. At least I think this is the first time we've seen such a piece.

• Upvote 1
BZPRPG

Despite checked the website a few times a day for updates (don't judge me), I definitely managed to miss that accidental upload. Must have been while I was at work. I have not been checking the LEGO shop site so thanks for posting that page.

Great that we now have those hi-resolution images of the March sets- I see a new transparent purple chain which I consider a necessary acquisition. At least I think this is the first time we've seen such a piece.

It is—some of last year's HF sets included Trans. Bright Orange chains, but this is the first time we've had Trans. Bright. Bluish Violet. The summer Ninjago sets also feature Trans. Fluor. Green chains. I've long been interested in using the Trans. Bright Orange ones as magic chains for a MOC featuring a wizard restraining a dragon, so I can definitely see the value in further transparent colors.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

What's encouraging to me is that we are actually getting a 22-minute vid for the theme, as opposed to the lackluster Bionicle showing. :P

The other thing - those sets are expensive. *whistles* The boat, which I had my eye on, is $30, and the tree house with all of those cool new parts, is $50. Yeesh. They think parents are made of money?

What's encouraging to me is that we are actually getting a 22-minute vid for the theme, as opposed to the lackluster Bionicle showing. :P

The other thing - those sets are expensive. *whistles* The boat, which I had my eye on, is $30, and the tree house with all of those cool new parts, is $50. Yeesh. They think parents are made of money?

Keep in mind that with BIONICLE we've already seen 13 minutes and 30 seconds of animation in just the first nine episodes (not counting "The Legend" and the character videos, which add another 4 minutes and 45 seconds). And those episodes cover just the first half of the year. I guarantee there will be another batch of episodes to promote the summer sets. By contrast, this Elves video is 22 minutes for the entire year of sets. Nothing extraordinary.

The sets aren't any more expensive than you should expect. LEGO is an expensive toy. That much has always been the case. But six sets with the largest being just $50 is pretty inexpensive all things considered, especially considering that all but the smallest set cost less than ten cents per piece! The new Ninjago sets, Legends of Chima sets, and City sets are MUCH more expensive by comparison.

And if you go back in time a bit, you'll find this is far from a new trend. The 2005 BIONICLE playsets ranged from $30 to $80. That's around $36 to $100 in today's money. You'd pay $200 2005 dollars (almost $250 2015 dollars) for those four sets alone. By contrast, these six new Elves sets will run you only $155 dollars.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

In case people weren't aware, the Elves sets are starting to show up in stores. I picked up Farran and the Crystal Hollow from Toys R Us yesterday (the others were there too, but I want to hold off until sales and/or gifts with purchase like the Azari polybag being released next month).

Edited by Lyichir

In case people weren't aware, the Elves sets are starting to show up in stores. I picked up Farran and the Crystal Hollow from Toys R Us yesterday (the others were there too, but I want to hold off until sales and/or gifts with purchase like the Azari polybag being released next month).

I thought the Bionicle Hero Pack was coming to the U.S. in March, so shopping then would be well advised. 

In any case, I don't have any time to go shopping until then anyway. 

I thought the Bionicle Hero Pack was coming to the U.S. in March, so shopping then would be well advised. 

In any case, I don't have any time to go shopping until then anyway.

Yeah, both polybags will be available next month. I might want to make two separate purchases (one at the beginning of the month to get the Bionicle polybag and one in the middle of the month to get the Elves polybag and possibly a second Bionicle polybag if they haven't run out). If I do that then I'll most likely make at least one of those purchases at a physical Lego store.

Man, the more i see of elves, the more i wish minidoll legs were more posable, the figs are great, but it's hard to have action w/out leg posability :t

Well, I guess it sort of depends what you do with them. I think they have more than enough posability for role-play, but for action scenes in photos or brickfilms it'd definitely be a serious limitation.

I wouldn't mind if LEGO introduced upgrades to the mini-doll design, but currently I'm satisfied with it as-is. And I understand some of the thinking behind having the legs move together rather than separately. For mini-dolls who wear skirts, separately-moving legs could look extremely awkward. So if we did get upgraded mini-doll parts, they might still have to be treated as just a separate option, the same way minifigures have had separate options like the short legs of dwarf and child figures or the springy conjoined legs of the LEGO Sports basketball figures. It's an interesting challenge, and if I am lucky enough to end up working at LEGO at any point I'd love to see if I could help tackle it.

There are some people who feel that even the posability of the minifigure is too limited (preferring the enhanced articulation found in some other toy brands and in larger-scale LEGO figures), but I think the timelessness of the minifigure is a good indication that posability isn't the sole measure of quality in a toy figure.

Oh, and the full official site is up! The webisode hasn't been added yet, but the music video for the theme song is — and it's fantastic! They even have a download link for the MP3, which is very nice. Hopefully the webisode will be added in March when the sets are officially released.

Edited by Aanchir

Does anybody else feel like this theme is being overhyped? Like, the set designs look okay, but with the mini-doll figures instead of the minifigures it just doesn't feel like the action theme it was touted to be

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Does anybody else feel like this theme is being overhyped? Like, the set designs look okay, but with the mini-doll figures instead of the minifigures it just doesn't feel like the action theme it was touted to be

Feels hyped enough to me, o:

I mean, yeah, we haven't gotten ACTION (all caps) yet, mostly buildings and spas and whatnot, but-

Idk, i feel they could introduce some sort of peril now that the problem of "human child can't get home" seems to be solving itself?

(plus, i believe they mentioned something about the portal needing to be guarded, which implies elfland could be easily harmed or something. :u)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I mean, yeah, we haven't gotten ACTION (all caps) yet, mostly buildings and spas and whatnot, but-

Idk, i feel they could introduce some sort of peril now that the problem of "human child can't get home" seems to be solving itself?

(plus, i believe they mentioned something about the portal needing to be guarded, which implies elfland could be easily harmed or something. :u)

See, I can understand that the hype is there, but from the initial information we gained about it, it seemed like it would be based around more of the medieval theme, like it would be the next replacement for that series. I don't know, it's probably just me that thinks this :P

It just doesn't seem very intense, or dark. Not that Lego does dark themes, but it should be called Faeries over Elves IMO ((not that there is anything wrong with Faeries, hehe, it just seems more Tinkerbell than Legolas))

Edited by ~Haxorus~

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

See, I can understand that the hype is there, but from the initial information we gained about it, it seemed like it would be based around more of the medieval theme, like it would be the next replacement for that series. I don't know, it's probably just me that thinks this :P

It just doesn't seem very intense, or dark. Not that Lego does dark themes, but it should be called Faeries over Elves IMO ((not that there is anything wrong with Faeries, hehe, it just seems more Tinkerbell than Legolas))

I guess w/ my set of tastes, and the LOTR/Hobbit sets being not too long ago, i'm just more interested in a female-mained fantasy theme than a medival high-elf one. o:

• Upvote 1

Was it ever touted to be an action or conflict heavy theme? It was intended to be story based much like Ninjago or Chima, but you can have story without action.

Great to see the site updated with lots of new information on the characters. Much like the early BIONICLE site, though, it'd be nice if it wasn't all in a wall of text. I'll assume it will get edited later. And also it would be nice if it worked consistently. Has anyone else been having issues getting a blank white page when trying to look at the Elves page?

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Oh, and the full official site is up! The webisode hasn't been added yet, but the music video for the theme song is — and it's fantastic! They even have a download link for the MP3, which is very nice. Hopefully the webisode will be added in March when the sets are officially released.

Music video, translator, multiple voice actors.  Lego put waaaaaaaay more work into their Elves site than the Bionicle one!

Do we know who does the song?  With Ashleigh Ball doing most of the voices, I was half expecting it to be Hey Ocean, but it does not look like that was the case.

The language thing is a bit too complex IMO. It's not like the old Bionicle language, which is simple. 

Lego put waaaaaaaay more work into their Elves site than the Bionicle one!

Welp, Elves is brand-new. Seems that they always put more work into their new themes than their old ones.

Plus it's a bit girl-flavored, which always means a ton of stuff with less meaning to it. There's five "quizzes" as opposed to one game for Bionicle, but the Bionicle game will keep you engaged longer. 

Standard American Girl toy marketing website lol. 

What hype? This theme feels really underhyped to me. There was no big NYCC reveal for this, it was just quietly introduced in the background. 

I don't know why anybody would ever have assumed a medieval theme once we actually had solid info about the theme and not just a leaked theme name.

Plus, why would Faeries be a more fitting name than Elves? Let me remind you, not all elves are Tolkien's elves, nor are all faeries Tinkerbell. There are, after all, some extremely dark faerie stories (let's not forget that the actions of classical faeries included kidnapping human children).

And the Tolkien version of elves are very loosely based on the traditional concept. Traditional elves, like traditional faeries, were often dangerous spirits, not a living species or race as Tolkien understood them. The two concepts are so similar (and both so different from Tolkien's version of the concept) that it took him some time to decide whether to use the term elf or faerie in his own writings. But for some reason people seem to have gotten the idea that he was somehow restoring a classical concept of elves, when he was in fact creating an entirely new type of elves that were only loosely based on classical folklore and mythology, and by his own admission were more like men than spirits.

Was it ever touted to be an action or conflict heavy theme? It was intended to be story based much like Ninjago or Chima, but you can have story without action.

I agree with this. It's much more of an adventure theme than an action theme.

The language thing is a bit too complex IMO. It's not like the old Bionicle language, which is simple.

I don't think it's terribly complex (it's definitely much simpler than the Gnommish language from the Artemis Fowl books). Many of the letter symbols echo the shape of the actual letter they're based on. Some of them are less-than-obvious, like the letter G or the letter P, but others are easy to figure out like the letters A, C, M, O, S, V, and W. Those letters will help make the language easier to memorize.

Wow, I'm definitely liking how the theme is turning out so far. The website is chock-a-block with new stuff, the animations look pretty good (I'm slightly worried about the frames per second, but hopefully it'll look less jarring in the actual short), the voice acting is excellent (so many MLP sound-alikes, so little time...  :P ), and the official music video is catchy as heck. Seriously, I can't get that main chorus out of my head however hard I try, and the more I listen to it the more I think a chiptune version would be pretty smegging awesome. Did I mention the song is catchy?  :P

So far I've only really found one problem with the story, and it's a rather large one. Simply put, if you had a choice between living in a magical world with elves and fairies and magic and magical unicorns called Twilight and a world full of terrorism, war, Flappy Bird and situations online where everybody gets into an argument about what colours a freakin' dress are, why would you even want to go back? :P And before you tell me that she typically wants to get back to her family, her grandma is dead (probably) and her mum and dad probably don't care about her THAT much if they're just slinging her into a massive garden as a form of entertainment. :P

But other than that, I'm really excited for this theme overall. :)

Edited by Ayliffe

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

So far I've only really found one problem with the story, and it's a rather large one. Simply put, if you had a choice between living in a magical world with elves and fairies and magic and magical unicorns called Twilight and a world full of terrorism, war, Flappy Bird and situations online where everybody gets into an argument about what colours a freakin' dress are, why would you even want to go back? :P And before you tell me that she typically wants to get back to her family, her grandma is dead (probably) and her mum and dad probably don't care about her THAT much if they're just slinging her into a massive garden as a form of entertainment. :P

There's something to be said for the comforts of home. Hypothetically, imagine you're going to Disneyland. Even if you loved it there and could afford to spend your whole life there, most people wouldn't want to, because they have some emotional ties to the place they came from and the people they knew there. This is especially true in Emily's case because she seems like she's maybe 12–14 years old. It's extremely doubtful that she feels ready to go off and live on her own, whether in a land of magical adventure or not. Not to mention she's probably extremely concerned about her parents worrying about her.

Letting her go play in the garden was actually pretty understanding of her parents, because she loves nature and the outdoors (remember that for the quiz). Even if that were an indication that they were out-of-touch (because most parents are, on one level or another), that's hardly worth abandoning them forever without so much as a goodbye. She just lost one family member and was heartbroken — do you think that would make losing her entire family any easier?

Even if she did decide eventually that she wanted to stay in Elvendale, the idea of being completely cut off from her original home and family would be extremely unnerving. After all, even when we reach adulthood and leave home, a lot of us take comfort in the fact that we do have the option to revisit our childhood home (except those of us who had extremely traumatic childhoods). Think about refugees who are forced to leave their homes by some type of war or persecution. Coming to a new place and abandoning your home, family, and way of life, even if that new place is safer and offers more opportunity than the place you left, is not an easy transition to make.

• Upvote 3

...I think Azari is cute. There, I said it.

No arguments there!

Incidentally, there's been a minor update to the LEGO Elves site. The "Meet the Characters" and "Explore Elvendale" features on the front page are now working (previously, the headers were there, but not the content). There are some very interesting pictures and info to be seen there!

Also, who else has played the mobile app? It's not very story-intensive, but I definitely found it fun (nice to have a less action-oriented LEGO game), and it's got beautiful graphics.

• Upvote 1

...I think Azari is cute. There, I said it.

No arguments there!

Incidentally, there's been a minor update to the LEGO Elves site. The "Meet the Characters" and "Explore Elvendale" features on the front page are now working (previously, the headers were there, but not the content). There are some very interesting pictures and info to be seen there!

Also, who else has played the mobile app? It's not very story-intensive, but I definitely found it fun (nice to have a less action-oriented LEGO game), and it's got beautiful graphics.

Both of those were working for me at the initial launch, but only intermittently. Anyone think we'll be seeing more of the desert lands next year, assuming the line continues? Judging from what clips we've seen so far (and set designs) it doesn't seem like any deserts feature this year, so it seems like a strange thing to add.

BZPRPG

I swear to God if they make rhyming a thing for this series I'm done. I love the complex characters and the realistic art style but I can't take rhyming seriously. 

No rhyming, you say?

Well, we had a good run.

At the end of the day,

Rhyming's simply good fun.

It may seem childish,

Not quite your cup of tea,

But as long as it's mild-ish

Rhyming's okay by me.

• Upvote 7

I swear to God if they make rhyming a thing for this series I'm done. I love the complex characters and the realistic art style but I can't take rhyming seriously. 

No rhyming, you say?

Well, we had a good run.

At the end of the day,

Rhyming's simply good fun.

It may seem childish,

Not quite your cup of tea,

But as long as it's mild-ish

Rhyming's okay by me.

You want to see how hard I can punch?

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Soooo... did anyone else catch the Elves special when it aired this morning on Disney Channel? It comes on again tomorrow at 2:00 pm if you missed it!

Personally I really liked it. It was far from perfect; the pacing arguably felt even worse than the Bionicle animations this year, which almost makes me wonder if it was scripted in another format (perhaps mini-movies?). And some of the lines definitely felt a little stilted. But as the first story we've seen for the theme, it did what it needed to—it made the characters compelling and displayed the breadth of the theme's setting exceptionally well. Now I just hope that isn't it for this year! The episode may have effectively shown off the full range of sets for the year, but I'm sure more stories featuring the characters could be told even before we get new sets to base them on.

Ok so I'm pretty conflicted.

I want to get sets with Naida and Aira. This whole time I've kind of been planning on getting the Creative Workshop and the Spa Secret for that, because, well. The sets look nice and they're not too expensive, and they have the mini-dolls I want.

But that ship.

The ship looks really nice. So I keep throwing the idea back and forth whether to get the ship or get the two smaller sets. Characters and prices are the same either way, so that doesn't help at all. I'd get more parts from the smaller sets, but the ship is really cool. I kind of like setting builds more than vehicles, too, but that ship is way rad. And the Spa Secret comes with a purple dolphin, but, boat. On some level I do kind of plan to get all of them eventually, but for now I am just not sure where to start. That ship. It just calls to me. But so do the other ones, pretty strongly.

Any opinions? I'm kind of at a loss here. The more I look at all of them the more I like them all. Tough decision.

Edited by farmstink buttlass

AXKP5KC.png

I want to get sets with Naida and Aira. This whole time I've kind of been planning on getting the Creative Workshop and the Spa Secret for that, because, well. The sets look nice and they're not too expensive, and they have the mini-dolls I want.

But that ship.

The ship looks really nice. So I keep throwing the idea back and forth whether to get the ship or get the two smaller sets. Characters and prices are the same either way, so that doesn't help at all. I'd get more parts from the smaller sets, but the ship is really cool. I kind of like setting builds more than vehicles, too, but that ship is way rad. And the Spa Secret comes with a purple dolphin, but, boat. On some level I do kind of plan to get all of them eventually, but for now I am just not sure where to start. That ship. It just calls to me. But so do the other ones, pretty strongly.

Any opinions? I'm kind of at a loss here. The more I look at all of them the more I like them all. Tough decision.

Don't think I'll be much help, since when my brother and I had to make the decision we just ended up going for the full range of sets. The ship is excellent, no doubt—maybe one of the greatest brick-built boats of all time. But notably, it's the only set WITHOUT a cute animal (I don't think the oyster counts). So maybe factor that into your decision.

Edited by Lyichir

But that ship.

Don't think I'll be much help, since when my brother and I had to make the decision we just ended up going for the full range of sets. The ship is excellent, no doubt—maybe one of the greatest brick-built boats of all time. But notably, it's the only set WITHOUT a cute animal (I don't think the oyster counts). So maybe factor that into your decision.

From a collecting perspective, there's another factor that might influence your decision. The ship contains the water key, while neither the workshop nor the spa contains any of the keys. However, if you have plans to get the sky castle, that set has ALL the keys, so getting the sets that contain the keys individually would not be as essential.

Personally, I'd recommend the ship on account of its fantastic build and play potential, not to mention its impressive appearance. I don't have the workshop or spa yet, though, so maybe those ones might surprise me with their value. Certainly the animals they contain are very cute, and those are likely going to remain exclusive to those sets, unlike the key.

I completed the mobile app yesterday! To fully clear the game you have to play through each level at least five times. Each time you play through a level one of the objects you have to find is a "secret item" that will be added to the corresponding character's profile page, which you can then click on to read more info about the characters. Other than this extra info, there is no special reward for clearing the game, but it certainly felt rewarding for me since I rarely have the patience to reach 100% completion in a game (even a simple one like this).

Don't forget, for those who haven't yet seen the TV special, it will be airing again in the US this afternoon on the Disney Channel! I believe I read in the LEGO Message Boards that it will later be posted online as well, for those who don't have cable.

But notably, it's the only set WITHOUT a cute animal (I don't think the oyster counts).

The oyster counts the most. >:0

anyway, i got the minimum elf to get the free one, (and built a combi-model ship from the two...)

the wrists are about as annoying as the legs sometimes, as azari cannot actually put the apple to her mouth when she's donje cooking it. :t

This was on and I went to check it out. I think it is safe to say that about 5 minutes later I changed it to Bonanza.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Ugh... If there's anything I hate, it's annoying 'cute' animals who act like humans and talk.  

Well, so far none of the animals in LEGO Elves talk, though the elves' elemental powers include the ability to understand and communicate with animals aligned with that element. Their behaviors are a bit anthropomorphized, though — they sometimes employ human-like body language, like Miss Spry shaking her fist/paw to convey anger.

• Upvote 1

So I watched the 30-minute TV special, and it was ok. The story felt rushed most of the time (I wonder if they were supposed to be a series of mini-movies before they decided to turn them into a TV special.), but the art style was pretty and other than the pacing the show was pretty nice. I wonder if the theme will continue into next year. It feels like this special was like a pilot episode where the story could easily just end there or could continue next year if the theme is successful.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I completed the mobile app yesterday! To fully clear the game you have to play through each level at least five times. Each time you play through a level one of the objects you have to find is a "secret item" that will be added to the corresponding character's profile page, which you can then click on to read more info about the characters. Other than this extra info, there is no special reward for clearing the game, but it certainly felt rewarding for me since I rarely have the patience to reach 100% completion in a game (even a simple one like this).

I tried to download the app, but given that my phone is a few years outdated most modern apps require newer software I can't install on my phone. This one was no exception. Doesn't sound like I'm missing much, though, assuming the "extra info" is just stuff that's already found on the website or in any of the promotional materials.

BZPRPG

I tried to download the app, but given that my phone is a few years outdated most modern apps require newer software I can't install on my phone. This one was no exception. Doesn't sound like I'm missing much, though, assuming the "extra info" is just stuff that's already found on the website or in any of the promotional materials.

Yeah, you're not missing out on too much. It's a fun game, but no storytelling or characterization you won't find elsewhere. The cutscenes are just video clips from the episode that just aired, and the

The background art for the character select screen does list a location far to the south of everything else called the "Forest of Deep Secrets" which I haven't seen listed on any other maps of Elvendale, and the app contains the first raw character art of Skyra in the Sky Castle level (as well as other beautiful art), but other than that I believe most of the info from the game can be found on the Elves website.

Ugh... If there's anything I hate, it's annoying 'cute' animals who act like humans and talk.  

Well, so far none of the animals in LEGO Elves talk, though the elves' elemental powers include the ability to understand and communicate with animals aligned with that element. Their behaviors are a bit anthropomorphized, though — they sometimes employ human-like body language, like Miss Spry shaking her fist/paw to convey anger.

Bah. I 'll try to ignore it. I want to watch the special but I don't want to be a 22 year old watching a kids show. 

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Bah. I 'll try to ignore it. I want to watch the special but I don't want to be a 22 year old watching a kids show. 

...then don't watch a kid's show? If you have that much of a knee-jerk reaction to the very possibility of enjoying something directed at children (which is really strange for someone on a LEGO forum but whatever) then just don't ever watch something for children.

• Upvote 5