LEGO Elves!

Aanchir

Ugh... If there's anything I hate, it's annoying 'cute' animals who act like humans and talk.

Well, so far none of the animals in LEGO Elves talk, though the elves' elemental powers include the ability to understand and communicate with animals aligned with that element. Their behaviors are a bit anthropomorphized, though — they sometimes employ human-like body language, like Miss Spry shaking her fist/paw to convey anger.

Bah. I 'll try to ignore it. I want to watch the special but I don't want to be a 22 year old watching a kids show.

...then don't watch a kid's show? If you have that much of a knee-jerk reaction to the very possibility of enjoying something directed at children (which is really strange for someone on a LEGO forum but whatever) then just don't ever watch something for children.

A million times this. I'm honestly in shock that someone on a website dedicated to a kids' toy, in a topic dedicated to a toy aimed at preteen girls, would be so insecure that they'd consider their maturity threatened by spending 30 minutes watching a cartoon for kids.

For the record, I'm 23 and the only hesitation I ever have toward watching childrens' cartoons is based entirely on the inane commercials that channels like Disney, Nickelodeon, and Discovery Family run during breaks.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

*steals quote from Iblis' profile*

"[/size]Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. [/size]When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."[/size]

C. S. Lewis

I'll probably wait until someone has posted the episode online to get it, like usual. I wonder when that will be.

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 2

*steals quote from Iblis' profile*

"[/size]Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. [/size]When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."[/size]

C. S. Lewis

I'll probably wait until someone has posted the episode online to get it, like usual. I wonder when that will be.

No telling. Frankly, I'm not even entirely certain Lego coordinated the airings we got with Disney Channel very well, considering I hardly saw any official Lego postings promoting the airing. Although who knows? Perhaps they realize that the kind of people who follow them on Facebook and Twitter typically look for any excuse to criticize their girls' themes...

Decided to buy Aira's Creative Workshop for those polybags.  And the pieces.

e: Got it today.  Surprised at just how, well, creative it is.  I thought the little drawer thing would just be a decoration, but no it's an actual little drawer with a little glass of something inside.  The mini dolls are pretty okay, basically what I expected but the printing is excellent and the two-toned hair is cool.  Though I must question the wisdom of making a flying machine that apparently runs on wind-up power.  Probably just a prototype, though.

Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh, it's gotten quiet in here... anyway, my first Lego Elves review on The New Elementary is live! I reviewed Farran and the Crystal Hollow—the first Lego Elves set I got, but far from the last. I've got a few more reviews in the works so I'd certainly appreciate comments or feedback!

• Upvote 2

You know, waaaaaaaaay back when this theme was originally revealed, I was kinda sceptical about whether I would buy any of the sets, and that I would be able to save some more money for modulars this year...

CA959nMWgAAW6bd.jpg

Well that changed quickly. :P 

As for the treehouse itself, I originally just bought it for pieces but now I've built it I don't think it's gonna be taken apart for some time now. The part selection is excellent (Purple leaves = instant win), the minidolls are very detailed (Compared to the rest of the minidolls Emily is quite 'meh' printing-wise, but that's excusable) and the model itself is brilliantly detailed! On the downside the technic function feels a bit loose and not very stable IMO, but apart from that it's pretty dang brilliant! Hopefully I'll be able to get some more of these fantastic sets for myself, which is probably bad news for my wallet...  :P          

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

I want an Elves set because Azari is so dang cute but then I don't because a 22 year old man with a room filled to the brim with Bionicle sets has no room for a tiny fire elf minifigure and her bakery.

Solution.

Widely available for cheap, and while the bakery is awesome, this won't take up nearly as much space.

I want an Elves set because Azari is so dang cute but then I don't because a 22 year old man with a room filled to the brim with Bionicle sets has no room for a tiny fire elf minifigure and her bakery.

Solution.

Widely available for cheap, and while the bakery is awesome, this won't take up nearly as much space.

This is perfect! How do I get it?

Lara Croft

Tomb Raider Cliff Climbing

Solution.

It was a special at the Lego store with any Lego Elves purchase. I think you can find it online for bargain-basement prices though, as a lot of collectors would be looking to offload it.

• Upvote 1

Solution.

It was a special at the Lego store with any Lego Elves purchase. I think you can find it online for bargain-basement prices though, as a lot of collectors would be looking to offload it.

Pretty much this. While the window to get it free with other Elves sets has passed, that probably wouldn't have suited your needs anyway considering you're looking to get the smallest set possible. The link I shared is Bricklink, where a variety of sellers are offering it for under $5. You'd have to get a membership, but that's hardly a burden considering that Bricklink can also be your best friend for buying specific parts—including Bionicle/Hero Factory/CCBS parts.

I wonder if there would ever be a chance of LEGO Elves doll/constraction sets? On one hand, the theme definitely has the kind of character-driven storyline that could support a constraction theme. But on the other hand, the creative building aspect of constraction themes might be more limited when dealing with human characters, because models without human proportions could be rather disturbing, so that aspect of play would be largely limited to costume changes (sort of like the Knights' Kingdom constraction sets, which didn't emphasize alternate or combination models to nearly the same extent as BIONICLE, Hero Factory, or Legends of Chima constraction sets). Creating figures that are lifelike enough to be satisfactory to girls might be a challenge as well. It's not that girls have less imagination than boys, but they are often more used to figures without conspicuously mechanical-looking joints.

Still, girl-oriented constraction sets are something I hope LEGO explores one day. The market for dolls has historically been about as strong as the market for action figures, and dolls are in some cases a more creative toy than action figures to begin with since there is more of an emphasis on dressing, decorating, and accessorizing them than there usually is with non-buildable action figures. The trick would be finding a way to reconcile that kind of creative play with LEGO-style creative building, so you don't end up with something like LEGO Scala where building takes a back seat to more traditional sorts of doll play.

I wonder if there would ever be a chance of LEGO Elves doll/constraction sets? On one hand, the theme definitely has the kind of character-driven storyline that could support a constraction theme. But on the other hand, the creative building aspect of constraction themes might be more limited when dealing with human characters, because models without human proportions could be rather disturbing, so that aspect of play would be largely limited to costume changes (sort of like the Knights' Kingdom constraction sets, which didn't emphasize alternate or combination models to nearly the same extent as BIONICLE, Hero Factory, or Legends of Chima constraction sets). Creating figures that are lifelike enough to be satisfactory to girls might be a challenge as well. It's not that girls have less imagination than boys, but they are often more used to figures without conspicuously mechanical-looking joints.

Still, girl-oriented constraction sets are something I hope LEGO explores one day. The market for dolls has historically been about as strong as the market for action figures, and dolls are in some cases a more creative toy than action figures to begin with since there is more of an emphasis on dressing, decorating, and accessorizing them than there usually is with non-buildable action figures. The trick would be finding a way to reconcile that kind of creative play with LEGO-style creative building, so you don't end up with something like LEGO Scala where building takes a back seat to more traditional sorts of doll play.

It will be interesting to see if the upcoming Star Wars line will eventually be able to build up the infrastructure of the CCBS system enough to make doll sets (and really anything human looking) viable - I feel like it could be a really interesting direction for LEGO to take, and it would be awesome to see the system applied in that way if it can be done effectively.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

It will be interesting to see if the upcoming Star Wars line will eventually be able to build up the infrastructure of the CCBS system enough to make doll sets (and really anything human looking) viable - I feel like it could be a really interesting direction for LEGO to take, and it would be awesome to see the system applied in that way if it can be done effectively.

I wonder whether the CCBS would even be ideal for that kind of thing. While it would be nice to have the whole "buildable figure" category of sets under one system, the bulky ball cups of the CCBS can definitely a bit awkward for human-like characters who aren't fully clothed or armored. Perhaps the Mixel-style ball cups would be better suited to an Elves buildable figure line. But the CCBS is Technic-based for a reason — a System-based buildable figure at that scale can be rather fragile unless it, too, uses some sort of Technic bracing.

I wonder if there would ever be a chance of LEGO Elves doll/constraction sets? On one hand, the theme definitely has the kind of character-driven storyline that could support a constraction theme. But on the other hand, the creative building aspect of constraction themes might be more limited when dealing with human characters, because models without human proportions could be rather disturbing, so that aspect of play would be largely limited to costume changes (sort of like the Knights' Kingdom constraction sets, which didn't emphasize alternate or combination models to nearly the same extent as BIONICLE, Hero Factory, or Legends of Chima constraction sets).

ah come on, the only thing i look forward to with Elves constraction is being able to combine Naida and Azari to make Qzelok, Queen of the Scorching Lobsters! (or, y'know something else like that.)

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Well, with franchises like Monster High already branching into buildable dolls, it's really quite astounding that Lego hasn't caught up yet. Mind you, those dolls tend to be really fragile and ridiculously skinny. Maybe something like Elves constraction requires a different sort of joint system altogether, though I suspect  any humanoid, waif-like figures would have very limited compatibility with other CCBS sets.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

• 3 weeks later...

Y'know, the new Star Wars limb shells are more slender than previous shells. I could see those theoretically working with some kind of new or custom foot piece to make high boots (like, say, Sailor Moon) with a more recognizably human look than previous shells allowed. Even if they don't do something like that for an Elves constraction line, some kind of girl-oriented constraction line could do something like that.

Y'know, the new Star Wars limb shells are more slender than previous shells. I could see those theoretically working with some kind of new or custom foot piece to make high boots (like, say, Sailor Moon) with a more recognizably human look than previous shells allowed. Even if they don't do something like that for an Elves constraction line, some kind of girl-oriented constraction line could do something like that.

True true. The Star Wars constraction figures do make Elves constraction sets feel more realistic. However, there are definitely still things I have misgivings about. A lot of the appeal of the LEGO Elves character designs comes from their stylish outfits, and that means LEGO Elves constraction sets would likely be competing for an audience with fashion dolls. That means the designers would have a strong incentive to avoid making the figures too blocky or knobbly. Just to pick an example, I really love the Gali set! But the heavy, angular armor on her arms and lower legs would feel rather out-of-place on a buildable doll. The Star Wars constraction sets give us an alternative for the lower legs, but not so much for the arms.

Obviously, I would not be surprised to see new molds in an Elves constraction line. A new torso shell with subtler and less "superhero-ish" proportions would be an obvious step. And new head molds would be a necessity. But new parts that give the characters more lifelike proportions are not the only issue at hand. You also have to think about how you'd vary the builds enough to create variety. The BIONICLE sets are amazingly diverse, but they have a lot of heavy armor, which might not appeal so much to girls. The Star Wars constraction sets are not so diverse OR so heavily armored, but Star Wars building sets and action figures are already incredibly popular, which means they start out with something of a sales advantage no matter what their quality. LEGO Elves constraction sets would not start off with that kind of advantage, and would have to work harder to carve out a niche.

Another question: would it be worth including fabric clothing? Plenty of constraction sets have had capes, so that'd be no issue, but could you go further and include things like fabric clothes? I am worried that it would be hard to integrate that kind of "fashion play" into the usual "building play". Of course, maybe I'm making a bigger deal of this than it is. A skirt would not be a huge issue, especially if it could be cut from a single piece of fabric like other LEGO capes or pirate ship sails. And a fabric blouse would probably be unnecessary, considering that even many actual fashion dolls use hard plastic for articles of clothing like blouses that don't have to be as flexible as a skirt or cape.

And of course, it's important to seek a way to incentivize building play, since that would be one of the big things setting these figures apart from competitors. Hero Factory, Super Heroes, and Legends of Chima constraction sets were pretty consistent about including combi models. We don't know if the Star Wars sets will, but they probably won't need to as badly, because LEGO Star Wars is an unstoppable cash cow and people won't likely need a whole lot of extra convincing to buy them. Elves is a different story, especially since girl-oriented LEGO sets are always under such close scrutiny. You need to make sure that people understand the value of them as building toys, not just as dolls.

Maybe once the Star Wars constraction sets are out (or the parts are on LDD) I'll be better equipped to brainstorm just how LEGO might make LEGO Elves constraction sets. But until then, all we can do is speculate...

• Upvote 2

I can picture the Elves gaining some sort of magical "super mode" further down the track, with some ornate light armour added on. That might make a good constraction set,  and skirts and capes would certainly not be out of place there. I think the hair should be a separate piece to the heads,and could have small holes to add accessories, tiaras, etc (Doll-like hair would be interesting to consider, but I think durability would be compromised...)

... I've just remembered an old "fashion designer Barbie" software thing that one of my friends had when I was a kid, where you could print clothing designs onto special fabric,ct it out and make doll clothes. Imagine something like that with an Elves constraction line...

• Upvote 2

I can picture the Elves gaining some sort of magical "super mode" further down the track, with some ornate light armour added on. That might make a good constraction set,  and skirts and capes would certainly not be out of place there. I think the hair should be a separate piece to the heads,and could have small holes to add accessories, tiaras, etc (Doll-like hair would be interesting to consider, but I think durability would be compromised...)

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about doll hair on toys. On one hand, I love the idea of hair that is as flexible and dynamic as it would be on an actual problem! On the other hand, I have heard plenty of stories about doll hair becoming tangled or frazzled, and I know from my experiences as a My Little Pony fan that styling doll hair is easier said than done! This is part of what has held me back from buying the awesome My Little Pony plushes at Build-A-Bear Workshop... As much as I'd love a soft pony toy with a realistic mane, I wouldn't want a plush that I couldn't cuddle or play with without worrying about mussing up its hair.

Actual doll hair on a LEGO constraction set could actually be pretty awesome, though, and it would help a girl-oriented constraction series compete with fashion dolls, which typically do have brushable hair. I do not think most of the LEGO Elves hairstyles would be too difficult to replicate with doll hair, though packaging a head piece with brushable hair would be a new challenge for the LEGO Group. And if LEGO Elves dolls did have actual doll hair, I would hope that Farran would as well. Too often male dolls get stuck with hard plastic hair that just doesn't look right next to the more flexible hair of the corresponding female dolls.

When I typically picture a girl-focused constraction theme, I tend to picture plastic hair, but in several swappable pieces. So, you've got the basic scalp and bangs piece, with small holes so that you can attach braids, ponytails or just accessories to- slightly complicated by the fact that the elves tend to wear their hair down. When I see girls play with dolls, the most common activities seem to be dressing and brushing, so it's interesting to think of whether you try and imitate that kind of playability, or encourage a different playstyle altogether.

Oh man, I think this theme is really lovely! I love the colors, the character designs, the set designs and I'm a big fan of fantasy and magic. I've yet to really learn much about the actual story LEGO's putting together for the line to help sell the product, mostly since I keep getting sidetracked to look, and I have yet to purchase any sets since... well, they're kinda expensive for my almost non-existent budget (that's already trying to help pay for actual necessities x.x ).

To be honest I've rarely been fan of "doll hair" -- it gets everywhere and it's kind of a pain to style it? Like, a character will have wild hair in the show and stuff, and then their toy won't look anything like them because you can't get the doll's hair to behave that way because physics. I can see the appeal, though, on like actual dolls where it's kind of a feature? But on lego sets I just feel it'd get everywhere and make a mess.

Edited by Goddess of the Dark Sun

Is anyone going to make that Elf Medallion in the Lego Magazine and wear it around? rotfl

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I think they'll probably just have molded heads like Luke and Obi-Wan. 

One issue there (having the hair molded into the head as one part) is that none of the Star Wars or Super Heroes constraction figures had hair as long as the female LEGO Elves characters. With longer hairstyles, solid-molded hair, even if it were molded in rubber like the hair of the actual mini-dolls, could seriously limit articulation. Realistic doll hair isn't just an aesthetic consideration, but a practical one as well.

And re: all the comments about the LEGO Elves hairstyles being physically impossible, I'm not sure if I agree. Even though Azari and Naida's hair tends to sort of defy gravity in the show, it's a fairly simple style otherwise, and creating a likeness of it that at least resembles the hair of the actual mini-dolls doesn't seem out of the question. After all, one of my main problems (no pun intended) with styling My Little Pony manes has been getting it NOT to fluff out in all directions, and with Azari and Naida's hair that's about what you'd WANT it to do!

As for the braids in Naida, Aira, and Emily's hair, it would be a new technical challenge for LEGO, but not a technical challenge that no doll-maker has ever managed to overcome. Obviously Disney Princess dolls of characters like Anna and Elsa tend to include braids, since they were a distinctive trait of the actual characters. My Little Pony Equestria Girls even has a range of "rockin' hairstyle" dolls out now which have all kinds of crazy hairdos: Fluttershy has a braid, Twilight has a bun, and Rainbow has whatever you call this punk-rock hairstyle.

If LEGO were going to dabble in doll hair at all (and this wouldn't be their first time doing so, since some of the Belville and Scala dolls had actual doll hair), I imagine that the LEGO Elves hairstyles would not be too hard for them to replicate. My biggest concern would how to maintain their hairstyles inside the package, since the hair would be on loose parts rather than the figures being pre-assembled in a blister pack like most dolls.

Is anyone going to make that Elf Medallion in the Lego Magazine and wear it around? rotfl

That's not a bad idea... though I probably don't have the bricks I need to make one in the particular color it gives instructions for, and I'd be a wee bit worried about losing pieces. Even my brick badge I wear at conventions requires me to be extra cautious, and that doesn't even use as many small detail elements.

I'd probably never follow through with designing and wearing one because I'm generally just not a very fashionable person. The only accessories I ever tend to wear that are merely decorative rather than functional in some way (like hats, glasses or sunglasses) are buttons, lapel pins (when I'm dressed up for a special occasion) or rubber wristbands. And a big LEGO medallion hanging around my neck might not be as comfortable as any of those options.

I do wish I had more stylish LEGO accessories to wear, though. I have three My Little Pony buttons (two of which I wear on my shirt and one of which I wear on my hat), a My Little Pony wristband, a My Neighbor Totoro wristband, and as of yesterday even a My Little Pony lapel pin. But the only LEGO accessories I have are my BIONICLE baseball cap (which I don't wear a lot), a LEGO necktie, a couple Brickfair lapel pins, and a button I got at the LEGO building contest from the Brattleboro Museum of Art (which I pretty much never wear). I wish I had more LEGO accessories related to my actual favorite LEGO themes like Ninjago, BIONICLE, or Elves. But I'm still all kinds of hesitant about wearing actual buildable accessories.

I think they'll probably just have molded heads like Luke and Obi-Wan. 

One issue there (having the hair molded into the head as one part) is that none of the Star Wars or Super Heroes constraction figures had hair as long as the female LEGO Elves characters. With longer hairstyles, solid-molded hair, even if it were molded in rubber like the hair of the actual mini-dolls, could seriously limit articulation. Realistic doll hair isn't just an aesthetic consideration, but a practical one as well.

I could imagine the real doll hair getting caught in the ball joints, though. 

• Upvote 1

That's why I tend to think characters with short hair, buns or ponytails as molded hairpieces would be a better choice for constraction figures- not that the Elves characters couldn't have an alternative style where they wear their hair up for the constraction line- and having detachable ponytails/braids in a range of styles would add playability and customisation potential. 

We've been getting quite a bit of new LEGO Elves information this week! First of all, BestBuy.ca had info for other LEGO themes in addition to BIONICLE, and that included finally telling us the names of the dragon and Skyra's owl (Miku and Nascha, respectively). Additionally, the LEGO Elves microsite at Nick.com has info on Skyra, the Sky Castle, and what the specific powers of the different types of elves are.

I like the limitations placed on element use. It's a nice contrast to the usual combat-based stories which tend to use them offensively. Here it seems more like a relationship, I guess? The Elves can use the elements, but they don't outright control them. Also looking at that background art makes me fall more and more in love with the colors used in this line.

Good stuff.

• Upvote 2
BZPRPG