Adventurers - Could They Return?

Jayk

Lego_Adventurers_Desert_Logo.png

If you're like me, you were a big fan of Johnny Thunder and his globetrotting cohorts back in the day; he was one of my very first sets, in fact.  Now that Indiana Jones has run his (excellent) course, and with the emergence of a very outdoors-y CITY Police subtheme for next year...might we see Johnny, Dr. Kilroy, Lord Sinister and their chums return at some point in the future?  I'd certainly be pleased if they did.  Thoughts?

• Upvote 3

15863836330_7c7ce4fb30.jpg

"And at the closing of the day              

She loosed the chain, and down she lay;              

The broad stream bore her far away,              

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

I remember these guys! I never bought any of the sets myself, but my cousin had a bunch, and we came up with all kinds of adventures! Normally, if Lego brings back a line, everything changes besides the basic theme (see Agents), but I think Johnny Thunder is an iconic enough character that he could come back. He's already made appearances in several Lego games and the Lego Movie, so he definitely isn't forgotten.

This is a System theme I might actually get into! The classic Adventures sets seemed believable and realistic (look at the cars, the hot air balloon, and the airplane, to name a few). I hope that if it returns, it keeps that trait, instead of becoming cartooney like most revived themes (think Mars Mission and Power Miners, both great themes, but both less believable than their predecessors).

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

This is a System theme I might actually get into! The classic Adventures sets seemed believable and realistic (look at the cars, the hot air balloon, and the airplane, to name a few). I hope that if it returns, it keeps that trait, instead of becoming cartooney like most revived themes (think Mars Mission and Power Miners, both great themes, but both less believable than their predecessors).

As far as most of the vehicle designs and color schemes were concerned, many Power Miners sets were much more realistic than Rock Raiders sets. Real-world mining vehicles are generally brightly colored for visibility reasons, and do not under any circumstances fly with propellors. Not to mention the set designs were better, with fewer chunky, overspecialized pieces, more creative action features, and much greater building value. Rock Raiders was in some respects like a "junior" version of Power Miners, wrapped up in an exaggeratedly gritty aesthetic.

Anyway, we already had a sort of a spiritual successor to Adventurers in the form of Pharaoh's Quest. The characters even had the same weather-themed naming scheme as the Adventurers characters originally had in US publication, back when Pippin Reed was Gail Storm and Dr. Kilroy was Dr. Charles Lightning — something that was unfortunately lost when the LEGO Group standardized the Adventurers theme's character names across all international markets.

Next time the LEGO Group is in need of an archaeological adventure theme of that sort, I'd certainly be open to one with either the Pharaoh's Quest characters or the classic Adventurers characters.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

As far as most of the vehicle designs and color schemes were concerned, many Power Miners sets were much more realistic than Rock Raiders sets. Real-world mining vehicles are generally brightly colored for visibility reasons, and do not under any circumstances fly with propellors.

Anyway, we already had a sort of a spiritual successor to Adventurers in the form of Pharaoh's Quest. The characters even had the same weather-themed naming scheme as the Adventurers characters originally had in US publication, back when Pippin Reed was Gail Storm and Dr. Kilroy was Dr. Charles Lightning — something that was unfortunately lost when the LEGO Group standardized the Adventurers theme's character names across all international markets.

Next time the LEGO Group is in need of an archaeological adventure theme of that sort, I'd certainly be open to one with either the Pharaoh's Quest characters or the classic Adventurers characters.

If I recall correctly, the Rock Raiders were actually trapped in an asteroid field or somesuch.

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

As far as most of the vehicle designs and color schemes were concerned, many Power Miners sets were much more realistic than Rock Raiders sets. Real-world mining vehicles are generally brightly colored for visibility reasons, and do not under any circumstances fly with propellors.

If I recall correctly, the Rock Raiders were actually trapped in an asteroid field or somesuch.

I guess I don't know much about Rock Raiders. I just thought that some of the Power Miners sets were very unbelievable, like this one, and this one.

IetTsFQ.png

I guess I don't know much about Rock Raiders. I just thought that some of the Power Miners sets were very unbelievable, like this one, and this one.

I dunno, they don't quite resemble specific "real" mining devices, but the claw digger makes mechanical sense, and the mine mech is similar in design to most "loader" suits seen in sci-fi settings. o:

• Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

The story wasn't that in-depth anyway, so I wouldn't see a problem with that.  I'd just want Johnny Thunder back.

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

The story wasn't that in-depth anyway, so I wouldn't see a problem with that.  I'd just want Johnny Thunder back.

If you mean "back on his own adventures", then yeah, that might take a revival or reboot of the theme. If you just mean you want him back as a minifigure, there's a new Johnny Thunder minifigure in one of this year's LEGO Movie sets, in his classic costume but now with a slightly modernized look!
  • Upvote 2

If you mean "back on his own adventures", then yeah, that might take a revival or reboot of the theme. If you just mean you want him back as a minifigure, there's a new Johnny Thunder minifigure in one of this year's LEGO Movie sets, in his classic costume but now with a slightly modernized look!

WHAT

I still want him back with sets, but this is glorious news.  Johnny's back!

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

WHAT

Yep! He's in this set!

• Upvote 2

WHAT

Yep! He's in this set!

I saw it, and my wallet is now trembling in fear at what I'm thinking of doing...

The Lady of Shalott."              

+

As one of our resident old fogies, I still remember when people were angry that Johnny Thunder came in nearly every Adventurers set, looking exactly the same. That said, the newer version of him from the movie is a nice step up - and slightly ironic, since there was nothing stopping LEGO from putting back printing on Johnny Thunder's torso in the first place (1998 was the year that both Adventurers and back printing debuted).

I think it's safe to say that if the Adventurers were ever going to be revived, it would have been for the Pharoah's Quest line. Oh, and arguably, Indiana Jones should count as the new Adventurers, since Johnny Thunder did appear in such Studios sets as "Temple of Gloom".

Sadly worth noting: Pharoah's Quest underperformed. I know I love the kits, bought most of them when they were new, and also bought multiples when they were clearanced out - but the reason I was able to buy kits by the dozen at 50% off is because people weren't buying them at full price. Somewhat justified in the high price-per-part ratio for the Scorpion Pyramid, but even the less expensive sets were not that popular. Sometimes people just don't have good tastes.

WHAT

Yep! He's in this set!

Who cares about Johnny. THERE'S LLOYD GARMADON!

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

• 3 weeks later...

Who even cares about those two, BATMAN IS UP IN THE HOUSE...

(I go kill my self from saying that now)

They're all nothing compared to EMMET, though!!!:P:P:P

But yeah, that set is great. It has Emmet, Batman, Lloyd the Green Ninja, and Johnny Thunder ALL IN THE SAME SET.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

This is one of the lines I actually used to collect myself and I still have a few of the old sets (though at my mum's house!!!) I agree though that Pharaoh's Quest is essentially the exact same thing. Also what about Orient Epedition for a less Egyptian, more Eastern theme? I currently have this huge set (which seems to also be a board game!) for sale http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7419-1 Again, this line seems to be just a different spin on the same theme so the liklihood of Johnny Thunder returning in all his glory looks pretty unlikely imo...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

This is one of the lines I actually used to collect myself and I still have a few of the old sets (though at my mum's house!!!) I agree though that Pharaoh's Quest is essentially the exact same thing. Also what about Orient Epedition for a less Egyptian, more Eastern theme? I currently have this huge set (which seems to also be a board game!) for sale http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=7419-1 Again, this line seems to be just a different spin on the same theme so the liklihood of Johnny Thunder returning in all his glory looks pretty unlikely imo...

Technically speaking, Orient Expedition was an Adventurers theme in all but name, featuring most of the classic characters.

Personally, I'd rather see further adventures from the Pharaoh's Quest cast... but at this point I reckon we're actually MORE likely to see the Adventurers crew return, since it's been several years since Pharaoh's Quest and Adventurers would make a much better appeal to nostalgia.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Really? I didn't know that. You'd think I might notice really as this topic has prompted me to part-check and list the OE sets I had in my shop. It didn't even occur to me when I checked the figures that they were the same characters!  ^_^

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Technically speaking, Orient Expedition was an Adventurers theme in all but name, featuring most of the classic characters.

Personally, I'd rather see further adventures from the Pharaoh's Quest cast... but at this point I reckon we're actually MORE likely to see the Adventurers crew return, since it's been several years since Pharaoh's Quest and Adventurers would make a much better appeal to nostalgia.

What if there was a new Adventurers-style theme with characters from BOTH themes? :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

What if there was a new Adventurers-style theme with characters from BOTH themes? :P

It'd be awesome... especially if characters like Johnny Thunder were depicted as older. It'd be cool to see Johnny Thunder in a role like Henry Jones Sr. from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

As a side note, another theme that called back to the classic Adventurers theme was 2012's Dino theme. One of the lead characters, Josh Thunder, was explicitly confirmed to be a descendant of Johnny Thunder!

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It'd be awesome... especially if characters like Johnny Thunder were depicted as older. It'd be cool to see Johnny Thunder in a role like Henry Jones Sr. from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

As a side note, another theme that called back to the classic Adventurers theme was 2012's Dino theme. One of the lead characters, Josh Thunder, was explicitly confirmed to be a descendant of Johnny Thunder!

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! (Adventurers is now confirmed to take place in the same universe as Dino, which is in the same universe as Alien Conquest, Atlantis, & Pharaoh's Quest)

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.