BIONICLE Storyline? Writers?

Hi all, 

Although I've been a fan of Bionicle since 2001... I feel like a bit of a newbie, once again, with everything new and rebooting! It's a nice feeling! In any case- indulge me this question: 

Who is writing the storyline now? And how will it be conveyed? Comic books? Scholastic reader books? 

I've been hearing around the forums that GregF is no longer in charge of Bionicle? Whatever happened? I loved his work during the original run, though I must admit I lost interest around 2007. (I've since caught up on how the story ended...) 

Thanks! 

EE 

I read somewhere that a few books are planned to be released to further the story told in the online animations next year. I have heard nothing about any comic books for the new story ( :(). I don't know who exactly is writing the books, but I know that person will not be Greg Farshtey. Speaking of Mr. Farshtey, he is currently working on the Lego Magazines as an editor (I think).

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I read somewhere that a few books are planned to be released to further the story told in the online animations next year. I have heard nothing about any comic books for the new story ( :(). I don't know who exactly is writing the books, but I know that person will not be Greg Farshtey. Speaking of Mr. Farshtey, he is currently working on the Lego Magazines as an editor (I think).

Is there any specific reason why he isn't returning to Bionicle? 

EE 

GregF's return would bring old ideas, namely Vezon. We don't want someone operating on the old lore bringing a new story, or it'll just be more of the old lore with a different skin.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I'm sure he's tired of it, for one thing. He wrote a LOT. He probably also prefers to keep his head mostly filled with Gen1 facts so he doesn't get the two confused. And the decision was not necessarily entirely his; the bosses probably wanted to give Gen2 a chance to be different to see if that might draw in a different audience, to add to variety and maybe be even more successful.

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'm sure he's tired of it, for one thing. He wrote a LOT. He probably also prefers to keep his head mostly filled with Gen1 facts so he doesn't get the two confused. And the decision was not necessarily entirely his; the bosses probably wanted to give Gen2 a chance to be different to see if that might draw in a different audience, to add to variety and maybe be even more successful.

Interesting. Glad to hear it wasn't political. I wonder what he thinks of all this. 

EE 

Greg's got plenty of work to do for Lego, so it's not like Bionicle is his only writing outlet.

He had a good, decade-long run with Bionicle; some people love what he did, others hate it. He told the story he wanted to tell, and I enjoyed it, but I think it's nice to let some new guys tell their own version of the story.

• Upvote 4

Greg wasn't the only one in charge of the old story. There was a whole story team that decided what happened. I'd imagine that some of them are returning but not all of them. As for Greg, he was never asked to come back. He might be brought back to write books or comics, but I doubt he'll be as involved as he previously was.

Edited by Sharnak the Bohrok Lord

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

Honestly, I'm glad for the change. Not that I didn't like Greg or his take on BIONICLE, but I really want a fresh start with this new story. It gives me a chance to re-discover the BIONICLE world! Without Greg, I'm hoping the story will still be able to deliver, possibly even more robustly and precisely.

Edited by Takametru007
  • Upvote 1

The new webisodes are written by Merlin P. Mann, a Danish author and screenwriter. But of course, he's just one member of the story team, and there are other people from the LEGO Group and Advance who are also involved in coming up with the characters and storyline.

The author for the upcoming books has not yet been announced. At New York Comic-Con they said they hadn't even decided on a writer yet, though they might have come up with one since then.

Greg Farshtey, Christian Faber, and Christoffer Raundahl were still involved as consultants during the early planning stages of the BIONICLE reboot, on account of their expertise of the original BIONICLE sets, story, and audience. But I believe all three fully understood the need for new blood in the BIONICLE story team, so they are not actually members of it for the 2015 reboot.

• Upvote 2