So...is "Bionicles" now valid?

Lewa0111 Nuva

So I was thinking the other day, and given that (as far as we know) New!Bionicle is a completely separate storyline/timeline/universe/whatever from Old!Bionicle, does this not make use of the word "Bionicles" now valid if referring to both old and new Bionicle?

Bionicle stands for "Biological (or Biomechanical) Chronicle." The old 2001-2010 storyline could thus be considered a single chronicle, or one Bionicle. The 2015+ storyline, since it is still labeled "Bionicle," is therefore a second Biological Chronicle. So, based on this logic, the correct term for more than one chronicle is "chronicles," and the term for more than one Bionicle is "Bionicles." 15 years, and that word is only NOW grammatically correct.

...Of course, using "Bionicles" to refer to multiple Bionicle SETS or CHARACTERS is still, and will always be, 100% wrong. :P

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

• Upvote 1

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

We're not positive this one will be Biological Chronicle as well (it likely is but we're not 100% sure, and with the very probable lack of a GSR they'd have to make it as such another way). Still, as Bionicle is a portmanteau I'd say it should be both singular and plural at once. Of course, anyone's free to use the word as they like but I'll remain referring to Bionicle in the plural as "Bionicle sets/characters" or "Bonkles".

This title seems a bit misleading... but probably on purpose? :P

Yes, technically Bionicles as "multiple biological chronicles" is valid, and always was, BTW. One tablet Takua wrote could be called one Bionicle, so two about two different events could technically be two Bionicles. But virtually nobody ever used it that way except me as a joke about the normal use. :P (One of my pet peeve creature art pics was of multiple living tablets; Bionicles. :lol:)

But Bionicles as the characters/sets is still not really valid. But people can use it for fun anyways, heh.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

If you're referring to the plural Bionicle stories, it'd be technically acceptable, although it doesn't necessarily make sense to use it. Nobody refers to "the Legends of Zelda" for example.

I've been saying Bionicles for 14 years, if you don't like it, tell me and I'll leave the site because I'm not changing the way I say it.

k bye

• Upvote 2

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Grammatically, yes.

I say Bionicle, and Bionicles. I don't really have a whole lot of a preference. It's kind of like how you're technically supposed to say LEGO bricks, not LEGOs. **shrugs**

I don't think it's that big an issue. But for the purpose the OP stated, yeah, it's correct.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

It's always going to be just 'Bionicle' to me. 'Bionicles' just doesn't sound right when I say it, though that may be from hearing it said as 'Bionicle' for the last 15 years. 

I have no problem with people saying 'Bionicles.' I just won't be using it. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

That's like saying Bugs Bunny Is a Rubbot.

Bionicle is the plural term. There is no variance. No representation of the Matoran, or any other language within Bionicle has ever suggested a variant of any term exists for referencing plural. Same goes for any official use as a title.

Normally I would say 'to each their own' but NO.

Bionicle is the plural term. There is no variance. No representation of the Matoran, or any other language within Bionicle has ever suggested a variant of any term exists for referencing plural. Same goes for any official use as a title.

"Bionicle" isn't a word in the Matoran language; it's "part translated". They have the concept of a biological chronicle in-universe, but as they don't have the English words, the word they use is likely something else entirely. And the plural for English-word things in Bionicle is s (Ussal crabs, for example). So, that logic doesn't work, sorry. :) The "no plural s" rule has nothing to do with why "Bionicles" is normally inaccurate to canon. (For beings.)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Thanks for the discussion, everyone! Yeah I still hate the idea of referring to multiple characters/sets/whatever as "Bionicles" because you're technically calling the characters Biological Chronicles. And I'd love to see those living tablets, bonesiii. That reminds me of a comedy I read where the narrator says something like "The door opened and a mob of Bionicles trampled Matau" and then Matau wonders why he just got trampled by a mob of biological chronicles.

I guess in the end, to each their own, but it would be nice to have a way to refer collectively to both "Old!Bionicle" and "New!Bionicle" together, to differentiate between referring to a group of Bionicle characters or sets together. And also, where did "Bonkles" come from? Never heard that one before...

• Upvote 2

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

I guess in the end, to each their own, but it would be nice to have a way to refer collectively to both "Old!Bionicle" and "New!Bionicle" together, to differentiate between referring to a group of Bionicle characters or sets together. And also, where did "Bonkles" come from? Never heard that one before...

It's a recent thing. Where it came from, I have no idea--though I do hope it decides to go back. :P 

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

"Bionicles" has always been valid because the only people who will correct you are pedantic fans way outside the target age range.

THAT SAID

An interesting grammar question; I'd say yes in terms of something like bones pointed out; referring to the totality, you'd probably say something like "the BIONICLE lines" rather than "the BIONICLEs".

• Upvote 1

I don't think this thread needs to exist over one letter. I've been saying Bionicles for 14 years, if you don't like it, tell me and I'll leave the site because I'm not changing the way I say it.

So happy-cheer

"Bionicles" has always been valid because the only people who will correct you are pedantic fans way outside the target age range.

THAT SAID

An interesting grammar question; I'd say yes in terms of something like bones pointed out; referring to the totality, you'd probably say something like "the BIONICLE lines" rather than "the BIONICLEs".

I'm 13 and all correct you
  • Upvote 1

Here came the bride all dressed in white I wish it was red then you all be deadlandscape_xlarge.jpg