Ninjago Graphic Novel Coming in Hot

Cosmic Book News has a <a href="http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/content/papercutz-ninjago-graphic-novel-ship-190000-copies-november-8th" target="offsite">press release</a> from Papercutz regarding the upcoming Ninjago graphic novel. We <a href="http://bzpower.com/story.php?ID=5285">reported in September</a> that there had already been over 150,000 preorders for the comic. Apparently if your toy line appears on several 'Most Wanted' lists, you can have a first print run of 190,000 books. With the Bionicle comics still sitting at around 250,000 copies for the whole series, it's apparent that Ninjago is a big success. In fact, they've already announced a second book, pretty much guaranteeing that we'll be seeing the line again next year.

View the full article

Even more evidence that Ninjago has been massively successful. Of course, only time will tell if that success equates to true staying power, but one thing's for sure: TLG has their formula for success a lot more figured out today than in days of BIONICLE (which is pretty understandable, since BIONICLE was a huge gamble to begin with, made at a time when the company was doing very poorly otherwise).Personally, I really like Ninjago, both in terms of sets and story. It's lighter, sillier stuff than BIONICLE was, but that applies to a lot of the stuff I enjoy these days. And in fact this makes it perhaps easier to enjoy since I don't have to take it so seriously. Meanwhile, Greg Farshtey's writing for the theme has continued to impress me. I've reviewed three of his new books here. I think they're something any BIONICLE fan could enjoy.I haven't read the graphic novel myself, but a five-page preview can be viewed here. It seems, like much of the theme, to start out somewhat somewhat light and silly, in contrast to BIONICLE before it (and to the Ninjago books, which seem a bit more sophisticated in terms of characterization). I'm also not a huge fan of the art style, which seems geared towards the same young audience as the LEGO Magazine comics but without the same level of accuracy and detail. But I still look forward to reading the whole thing someday soon.

Wow. Who's ordering all these books? I like the whole ninjago spinner stuff and all, but 150,000 preorders??? Crazy stuff. Good for you, LEGO.

Nuparu's BoomBoxor is temporarily out of commission (been infected by some malware & whatnot, curse those anonymous russian bots). I guess I'll get around to putting it back up eventually. Maybe when Templar finally get around to re-doing the soundtrack to MNOG.

Interesting. I wonder how long this will keep up. Ninjago could become the next BIONICLE if it sells this much.

Some of the blurbs for the Ninjago books suggest that this is completely deliberate. According to the Barnes & Noble site, "Ninjago is LEGO's biggest new initiative since BIONICLE!" I can only imagine how much focus group testing and market research must have gone into designing the theme-- not to understate the value of the creative input by its story writers and set designers!The effort has been reflected by its reception-- the one-hour TV special had enough viewers for a 13-episode TV series to be planned. The first episode of this will be debuting December 2 on Cartoon Network in the United States. Ninjago art projects parents have done for kids are all over the internet, including professionally-decorated cakes and room decorations. Overall, it's nice to see that this new project has a stable footing! And I, as a fan of the sets and other media, wholeheartedly endorse it.