I'm gonna miss hero factory.

Endymion

I personally prefer BIONICLE, but its kinda sad that Hero Factory is coming to an end now, probably to never return. While Bionicle is unique in its own manner, with the absence of ALL OTHER constraction aside from it from here on out (No Chima Ultrabuild, no Superhero Ultrabuild, No Hero Factory, etc) might impact how useful the pieces we get will be. Building organic creatures will be harder, due to the lack of themes that have them, as well as strictly mechanical beings, since BIONICLE's elements are much more specific to its own biomechanical aesthetic. As a result, we won't be getting many new parts of these types to work with in the CCBS system. Another reason I will be missing it, is the fact that more sets like Invasion From Below from here on out could have been pretty cool! Sure, it probably couldn't have co-existed with bionicle, to avoid it cannibalizing bionicle's sales. But I think with some creativity and freedom with Hero Factory being less story driven then something like BIONICLE, they could have started making sets that could continue the Kaiju VS Mecha theme of Invasion From Below. But, alas, it is gone. Oh well. Now to get all the Bionicle 2015 sets.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of other constraction sets entirely. After all, we don't entirely know what summer 2015 might bring, let alone future years. More Legends of Chima constraction sets seem unlikely, but who knows what other themes might get a constraction range in the future? For all we know, there might even be another dedicated constraction theme in the years to come.

I will remember Hero Factory fondly for the new innovations it brought to the table, and I'm sure there are even more new ideas it could have implemented if it had continued. Maybe even an Exo-Force style theme with hero AND villain mecha. But in general, four and a half years is a good run for a story-driven LEGO theme, and I don't have a lot of regrets about it ending — especially with BIONICLE carrying on the building system and contributing its own new innovations.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, seeing how hero factory hasn't been the only CCBS line since Bionicle's end, I'd imagine that new CCBS lines will still be coming out with Bionicle. I'd imagine, however, that the gear functions will be the big market factor for Bionicle and they aren't likely to trickle into other lines. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that because until Bionicle, the technic action figures didn't really make it as big. And all CCBS lines until now have been merely about being posable and having launchers rather than having melee attack functions. I imagine that if another line comes out to go along with Bionicle, such a line would probably have something different to bring to the CCBS table making it different from Bionicle in both concept and the actual set design (I'm willing to bet more mech/minifig suit kinda things or maybe Star Wars Ultrabuild?) Not sure at this point.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Bring back Lego Ben 10! 

WHO'S WITH ME!?!?!

There were pretty cool for over-priced, pieces of garbage. 

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

They already made ccbsmonsters.

*nervous chuckle* I obviously haven't paid any attention to lego since Bionicle was cancelled...haha I did buy the occasional HF set, but other than that, nothing really.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Bring back Lego Ben 10! 

WHO'S WITH ME!?!?!

Funny story actually, I bought two of those things (for some strange reason) and every time I see them in the dark corner of my room I keep seeing images of fire and demons and just pain flash before my eyes, and every time this happens my mother tells me I collapse on the floor and start speaking in tongues, yeah I wonder what's up with that? 

• Upvote 4

It's time to move on.

Yeah, seeing how hero factory hasn't been the only CCBS line since Bionicle's end, I'd imagine that new CCBS lines will still be coming out with Bionicle. I'd imagine, however, that the gear functions will be the big market factor for Bionicle and they aren't likely to trickle into other lines. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that because until Bionicle, the technic action figures didn't really make it as big. And all CCBS lines until now have been merely about being posable and having launchers rather than having melee attack functions. I imagine that if another line comes out to go along with Bionicle, such a line would probably have something different to bring to the CCBS table making it different from Bionicle in both concept and the actual set design (I'm willing to bet more mech/minifig suit kinda things or maybe Star Wars Ultrabuild?) Not sure at this point.

Star Wars constraction sets would be great. Unfortunately, it will never happen. Hasbro has an exclusive license to produce Star Wars action figures (a remnant from when they acquired Kenner), which they will strictly enforce until the bitter end. That license is the reason why the Star Wars minifigure packs were cancelled, and the reason there are no exclusive Star Wars minifigures distributed individually at Comic Con, and the reason that Star Wars battle packs have to include some type of buildable ship or fortification, and the reason why minifigure magnets are now firmly glued together and to their stands and not able to be used as regular minifigures, and the reason the Star Wars Ultrabuild project on LEGO Ideas was archived.

As for the discussion of the Ben 10 sets... I liked a lot of their parts from an aesthetic standpoint. They had a good balance of geometric and organic shaping that kept them from looking as purely mechanical as BIONICLE sets did. I think in that respect they did help pave the way for the CCBS, and I applaud that. Functionally, they were nowhere near as versatile as the CCBS, but they still had way more connection points than the last buildable alien series (Galidor), and a lot of their parts work great in combination with other constraction parts, as MOCists have demonstrated.

Now, as far as their accuracy to the actual Ben 10 characters, I'm not equipped to judge. I've never seen any of the Ben 10 series in my life. But it was more accurate to what I've seen of the show's cartoony, organic design language than would have ever been possible with old-school BIONICLE parts, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

Star Wars constraction sets would be great. Unfortunately, it will never happen. Hasbro has an exclusive license to produce Star Wars action figures (a remnant from when they acquired Kenner), which they will strictly enforce until the bitter end. That license is the reason why the Star Wars minifigure packs were cancelled, and the reason there are no exclusive Star Wars minifigures distributed individually at Comic Con, and the reason that Star Wars battle packs have to include some type of buildable ship or fortification, and the reason why minifigure magnets are now firmly glued together and to their stands and not able to be used as regular minifigures, and the reason the Star Wars Ultrabuild project on LEGO Ideas was archived.

As for the discussion of the Ben 10 sets... I liked a lot of their parts from an aesthetic standpoint. They had a good balance of geometric and organic shaping that kept them from looking as purely mechanical as BIONICLE sets did. I think in that respect they did help pave the way for the CCBS, and I applaud that. Functionally, they were nowhere near as versatile as the CCBS, but they still had way more connection points than the last buildable alien series (Galidor), and a lot of their parts work great in combination with other constraction parts, as MOCists have demonstrated.

Now, as far as their accuracy to the actual Ben 10 characters, I'm not equipped to judge. I've never seen any of the Ben 10 series in my life. But it was more accurate to what I've seen of the show's cartoony, organic design language than would have ever been possible with old-school BIONICLE parts, that's for sure.

They're fairly accurate. The proportions and shape are a bit off with some, but Chromastone for example looks pretty accurate, minus the black.

LEGO Chromastone http://prntscr.com/5npofi

Show Chromastone http://prntscr.com/5npozz

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

I'm certain when Lego ever decides to end the Bionicle sets again, Hero Factory would jump back in, then back out to only be replaced by Bionicle again in an ever continuing cycle.

I wouldn't count on it. Part of the reason BIONICLE is coming back at all is that it was once so amazingly successful. Hero Factory was successful for four years, but not extraordinarily so. So if the LEGO Group wanted a new theme like Hero Factory at any point, they might make a new, similar theme, but not necessarily bring back the Hero Factory name, story, or branding.
  • Upvote 2

I'm certain when Lego ever decides to end the Bionicle sets again, Hero Factory would jump back in, then back out to only be replaced by Bionicle again in an ever continuing cycle.

I wouldn't count on it. Part of the reason BIONICLE is coming back at all is that it was once so amazingly successful. Hero Factory was successful for four years, but not extraordinarily so. So if the LEGO Group wanted a new theme like Hero Factory at any point, they might make a new, similar theme, but not necessarily bring back the Hero Factory name, story, or branding.

Here's how you can tell Hero Factory won't be back: Bionicle is copyrighted and Hero Factory isn't.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Bring back Lego Ben 10! 

WHO'S WITH ME!?!?!

The Ben 10 sets were actually treasure troves of pieces, so if Lego were to bring around another set of constraction sets like them, I'd be quite pleased.

~B~

• Upvote 1

Here's how you can tell Hero Factory won't be back: Bionicle is copyrighted and Hero Factory isn't.

That doesn't mean a thing. Space Police has never been copyrighted, but LEGO Space Police came back in 2009 after an eighteen-year hiatus.
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to miss the individual character feel/emphasis that was placed on the heroes. For example, Bulk was a brute, Stringer was a musician, Stormer was a leader, Nex = technology expert. Felt that they brought different skills to the table and there was a reason for them to be a team. 

Bionicle has a different approach to its characters - it feels like they all do the same thing for the most part, and the theme had to work to show the different skill/abilities each member of a particular team brought to the table. HF pulled that off effortlessly, aside from the table characters like Rocka/Furno. 

Although I don't completely feel convinced that Hero Factory is ended because I don't see any proof or announcements (are there any?), but it is much likely that Hero Factory is ended. Poor thing. It had a lot of potential, but it ended. How very depressing.;( But, it will never be forgotten because it showed great sets, and some good story. I am going to miss Hero Factory dearly because I had grown to like it since Bionicle was cancelled in 2010, to heal my broken heart about Bionicle's cancellation. The CCBS system is a great thing that promoted creativity for fans and inspired Super Heroes and Chima to do the same thing. Now that Bionicle is coming back, it is using the system. Hero Factory's story is, well, kind of good, but turned poor in Invasion From Below. Well, personally, I love Bionicle more than Hero Factory, and I am witnessing the days of Hero Factory to be over and the new age of the Bionicle's return has begun. Well, I am missing Hero Factory emotionally, anyway.:( (crying in sadness)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Although I don't completely feel convinced that Hero Factory is ended because I don't see any proof or announcements (are there any?), but it is much likely that Hero Factory is ended. Poor thing. It had a lot of potential, but it ended. How very depressing.;( But, it will never be forgotten because it showed great sets, and some good story. I am going to miss Hero Factory dearly because I had grown to like it since Bionicle was cancelled in 2010, to heal my broken heart about Bionicle's cancellation. The CCBS system is a great thing that promoted creativity for fans and inspired Super Heroes and Chima to do the same thing. Now that Bionicle is coming back, it is using the system. Hero Factory's story is, well, kind of good, but turned poor in Invasion From Below. Well, personally, I love Bionicle more than Hero Factory, and I am witnessing the days of Hero Factory to be over and the new age of the Bionicle's return has begun. Well, I am missing Hero Factory emotionally, anyway. :( (crying in sadness)

Well they shut down their official HF Facebook page. I don't know if that actually means anything, though.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'm going to miss the individual character feel/emphasis that was placed on the heroes. For example, Bulk was a brute, Stringer was a musician, Stormer was a leader, Nex = technology expert. Felt that they brought different skills to the table and there was a reason for them to be a team. 

Bionicle has a different approach to its characters - it feels like they all do the same thing for the most part, and the theme had to work to show the different skill/abilities each member of a particular team brought to the table. HF pulled that off effortlessly, aside from the table characters like Rocka/Furno.

I can agree with this. I also liked how not only did the heroes have very individual personalities, they also had individual struggles to work through, instead of all their struggles being as simple as a tendency to get into childish arguments with each other, or facing extraordinary foes. I feel like Bulk's character arc in 2010 and 2011 was especially interesting. It's rare for a story to look intently at how it affects a character emotionally to be thought of as "dumb muscle", and Bulk's arc in Savage Planet deals not only with his attempts at self-improvement, but also learning to embrace his own unique strengths.

"Bulk! Hey, big guy! I need you up here!"

"I'm more than just the big guy."

"I know, I know. You're the smartest of all of us. But right now, I need those big pistons that you were designed with."

The 2007 BIONICLE story arc is one of my favorites because it did give many of the Toa a chance to deal with their own personal struggles. Other story arcs like 2004 let us see the Toa's individual strengths, but few arcs compared to 2007 when it came to showing the Toa's individual weaknesses, and giving them moments of vulnerability where they were forced to turn to each other.

Hero Factory wasn't always the strongest when it came to characterization, but it and other post-BIONICLE themes really did a lot to allow the heroes to triumph over evil in their own individual ways, not just as identical cogs in a larger machine. Most of the Toa's greatest victories, both on a universal and personal level, were achieved by them coming together as a team to employ a single uniform strategy:

• 2001: all the Toa firing their elemental powers at the enemy at the same time.
  • 2002: all the Toa firing their elemental powers at the enemy at the same time.
  • First half of 2003: all the Toa channeling their elemental powers through their Nuva symbols at the same time.
  • First half of 2004: all the Toa triggering the energies of the Great Disks at the same time.
  • Second half of 2004: all the Toa firing their elemental powers at the enemy at the same time.
  • 2005: all the Toa firing their elemental powers at the enemy at the same time.
  • 2007: all the Toa firing their Cordak Blasters at the Cord at the same time.
There are a few examples where individual Toa achieved a personal victory, like the sacrifices of Matoro and Toa Ignika in 2007 and 2008, or Takanuva's victory over Makuta in 2003. There's also the victory over Vezon in 2006 in which Kongu, Jaller, and Matoro all contributed in unique ways. But those examples are few and far between compared to these "team victories" that don't really do anything to showcase the individual strengths of any of the Toa other than the one who came up with the strategy.

One of my favorite examples of a victory in a LEGO theme that allowed a whole team of characters to shine isn't from Hero Factory or BIONICLE, though. It's from the second season of LEGO Ninjago. Observe!

In general, I hope the BIONICLE reboot continues to give its characters plenty of personal challenges and insecurities as well as personal victories.

• Upvote 5

Hero factory was a good theme that had a ton of potential. But they abandoned the story developing and went with IFB. I was hoping for a space themed year with modified dropship spacefighters. I think Hero factory could have been a Sci-fi version of Bionicle. They instead made the TV show blunt and uninteresting. 

Yeah, I'd say it's highly likely that we'll see more CCBS/constraction lines, even if minor ones.

Of course it's not a serious idea, but the chances of Ben 10 specifically coming back are pretty low. Primarily because Ben 10 toys hadn't been selling that well for the past few years and that sort of indirectly led to the last iteration of the original Ben 10 run to end prematurely. We're getting a reboot sometime this year, but it's doubtful that Lego would reach out to that. As for the old Ben 10 sets...well, they were obviously kind of a precursor to CCBS (what with its joints that didn't break and the way detail was added to the limbs) but I was never much a fan of them. Not very accurate and pretty poor values. I always wish that they'd at least come out after CCBS had been implemented. Getting brown and sand green shells would have been pretty nice. (and if they kept Chromastone's purple, well, purple). But whatever, I guess.

I won't necessarily miss Hero Factory, because really I just want Lego to do more original constraction stuff. I hope that once Bionicle ends again (or who knows, perhaps before if Bionicle is successful enough to allow Lego to have more than one full constraction line running) they do something brand new. I've been waiting for them to do something new since like 2012, and I was really just waiting for HF to end so we could get that. Then Bionicle kinda ruined that, but it's ok, I guess.

AXKP5KC.png