New Toa Powers?

Sorry if these are really dumb questions. But Bionicle.com is a bit unclear about it, and as far as I can tell there's no easy online resource for Bionicle 2.0's story info. I'm trying to work out the exact abilities of the new Toa.

As far as I can tell, their masks are now the source of their elemental powers, and without the masks they have none? Also has it been said anywhere that removing their masks weakens them, as it did in the old storyline?

What do the Golden Masks do?

The character bios on the official website also note other powers the Toa have; for example Lewa can "commune with plants and the wind" and Onua has "night vision". I thought these might be secondary powers that the Toa possess even without their masks, but Tahu/Gali are noted as having "fire/water control" which is most likely another way of saying "fire/water elemental powers". So are the abilities noted under 'powers' all abilities granted by the masks? If so, why don't all six Toa have "(element) control" listed? Or can Tahu and Gali control their element even without their masks?

I thought the new storyline was supposed to be simpler. :P

• Upvote 1

I believe it works that the masks give them their elemental abilities. Lewa's thing is a poetic way of saying he has control over plants and air, or something like that. Onua has the added night vision bonus in addition to the elemental abilities given by his mask.

The Protectors have elemental masks as well, but their powers are much lesser than the Toa's. 

It's like how things worked in G1. 

• Protector masks=Noble Kanohi
  • Toa Masks=regular Great Kanohi
  • Golden Masks=Kanohi Nuva (more powerful versions of the regular masks)

The Golden masks don't necessarily let them share the powers with others nearby, but they do seem to give the Toa greater power and access to special "moves" or "attacks."

Until we know more, that's how it's presumed to work. Hope this helps!

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Thanks, that's a huge help.

Golden masks don't necessarily let them share the powers with others nearby, but they do seem to give the Toa greater power and access to special "moves" or "attacks."

I suspected this, but this is the first I've heard of special attacks. Do we know exactly what these attacks are?

While I'm at it, I'll throw one more question into the mix: does Gali have any means of breathing underwater?

While I'm at it, I'll throw one more question into the mix: does Gali have any means of breathing underwater?

Why not?

Well it doesn't seem to be a power granted by her mask, and nowhere in her bio does it say she is amphibious. I'm wondering if she can operate underwater indefinitely or she would need to come up for air every so often.

Well it doesn't seem to be a power granted by her mask, and nowhere in her bio does it say she is amphibious.

If you are a master of water but can't breathe under-exactly-that-water-you-can-control...

Edited by Mjolnitor

TOO LATE.

IT WAS ALWAYS TOO LATE.

Well it doesn't seem to be a power granted by her mask, and nowhere in her bio does it say she is amphibious.

If you are a master of water but can't breathe under-exactly-that-water-you-can-control...

I get your logic but I would think it would be an ability worth noting separately, like Kopaka's cold resistance.

I get your logic but I would think it would be an ability worth noting separately, like Kopaka's cold resistance.

But same Kopaka's ice touch probably isn't an ability worth noting separately that much.

Edited by Mjolnitor

TOO LATE.

IT WAS ALWAYS TOO LATE.

Golden masks don't necessarily let them share the powers with others nearby, but they do seem to give the Toa greater power and access to special "moves" or "attacks."

I suspected this, but this is the first I've heard of special attacks. Do we know exactly what these attacks are?

They're listed as "signature moves" on the character bios on BIONICLE.com, and also on the relevant BS01 pages. For example, Pohatu's "moves" are "Kaboom-erang" and "Sandstorm", while Tahu's are "Lava Dash" and "Flame Spin".

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Is Pohatu immune to having rocks fall on his head?

• Upvote 1

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

If he is aware of falling rocks, he probably can fling 'em away before they land.

And Gali is perfectly aware of herself being underwater.

TOO LATE.

IT WAS ALWAYS TOO LATE.

They're listed as "signature moves" on the character bios on BIONICLE.com, and also on the relevant BS01 pages. For example, Pohatu's "moves" are "Kaboom-erang" and "Sandstorm", while Tahu's are "Lava Dash" and "Flame Spin".

I don't see these 'signature moves' listed?

I don't see these 'signature moves' listed?

They were, but it looks like some of the updates may have caused them to be removed. They should be listed on BS01.

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I don't think we have confirmations of answers to any of these questions, do we? Whenever we do, I'd like to know about it. :P And I would strongly advise against presuming anything, like the theories in T1S's first post. That's how misconceptions get started...

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I don't think we have confirmations of answers to any of these questions, do we? Whenever we do, I'd like to know about it. :P And I would strongly advise against presuming anything, like the theories in T1S's first post. That's how misconceptions get started...

Was it not confirmed that the masks contain the power? If they don't, then what exactly is the point of having Tahu wear a Mask of Fire, only to go in search of a Golden version which is supposedly more powerful? If the characters contain the power, what use are the elemental masks? It's called an educated guess based on what information does exist. Check "The Legend Animation," which states that Ekimu and Makuta used the elemental forces present on the island to create masks of power. Also, "It was a sacred law that a mask could never contain the power of more than one element." I don't know about you, but this STRONGLY implies that the masks have power. If all the masks have the same level of power, then why have variations exist in the first place?

Also, isn't the name of this forum "Storyline & Theories?" If it's not for theorizing the potential for the story, then what are we even doing here? :P

Edited by ~T1S~
  • Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I'm just objecting to the word choice of "presumed" here:

Until we know more, that's how it's presumed to work.

How likely a theory is, is one thing, but that word choice seems to imply something more than that, and without a careful clarifier, could be taken the wrong way. :shrugs: Just making sure we're clear about that.

Yes, though, the masks themselves are confirmed to be the Mask of Fire, etc. But we don't know how this relates (or didn't last I heard) to the Toa power, or if there are Great/Noble levels in Gen2, etc. There's several different possibilities, and likelihood of most of them seems very debatable right now.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'm just objecting to the word choice of "presumed" here:

Until we know more, that's how it's presumed to work.

How likely a theory is, is one thing, but that word choice seems to imply something more than that, and without a careful clarifier, could be taken the wrong way. :shrugs: Just making sure we're clear about that.

Yes, though, the masks themselves are confirmed to be the Mask of Fire, etc. But we don't know how this relates (or didn't last I heard) to the Toa power, or if there are Great/Noble levels in Gen2, etc. There's several different possibilities, and likelihood of most of them seems very debatable right now.

Fair enough, but if we ignore the Protector masks, the Toa masks versus the Golden masks have some degree of difference in power level, yes? Otherwise, there's no point in seeking out the Golden ones if the power is the same, yes? 

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

They're clearly different, yes.

If he is aware of falling rocks, he probably can fling 'em away before they land.

And Gali is perfectly aware of herself being underwater.

I don't think awareness of their element is relevant here.

Let's say Pohatu sees a rock that's about to fall on him. Once he spots it, he knows it's there, he's totally aware of it. But for some reason or another he doesn't react fast enough, and the boulder gives him a bump that's definitely going to hurt in the morning. Pohatu is not immune to the potential negative effects of his element.

(Funny to note that Kopaka isn't immune to potential negative effects of his element either. He's resistant to cold but he still slipped. I mean, uh, he didn't slip. Right. Anyway, I'm sure the same applies for the rest of the Toa; Lewa controls plants but he could still get poisoned or caught in vines, etc.)

Gali is swimming in the water. She's not stupid; she knows that she's in the water. Doesn't mean she's able to breathe underwater. Gali is not immune to the potential negative effects of her element.

• Upvote 2

but their spirits

Drowning is not a 'potential negative effect' in the same way being bonked on the head by a rock or caught on a thorn or slipping on ice. It's an ever-presebt danger. If the Water Tribe hadn't figured out some way to get around that problem, they wouldn't be living underwater, now would they? The simplest reason must be that the Water Tribe has some way to either breathe underwater, or stay under for long periods. Is this a power of Water? Is there a SCUBA tank they're not showing us? Who knows?

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Yeah, that wasn't how I should've worded that. Failed to explain my point properly. Sorry about that.

Considering the Protector of Water's gear, I'd suspect that it's something close to SCUBA equipment rather than innate amphibiousness, and presumably the same would apply to Gali.

• Upvote 1

but their spirits

If she can control water, she can create an air bubble around herself whilst underwater, therefore giving her a make-shift underwater breathing ability.

• Upvote 2

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

If she can control water, she can create an air bubble around herself whilst underwater, therefore giving her a make-shift underwater breathing ability.

There you go. SCUBA gear.

Ok, of a sort :/

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

This.

TOO LATE.

IT WAS ALWAYS TOO LATE.