2015 Nui Rama

Lyichir

Nice build! It looks a bit like my own. A couple things bug me though (no pun intended :P). I feel like the back should stick out a bit more. Although it doesn't need a stinger per say, it should protrude at least as far as the original model did. You should also ditch the yellow gears for black ones. Lastly, I feel like the wings should be tilted a bit more upward, away from the back, rather than downward, parallel with the back.

EDIT: Just saw the tail in the extra photos. Ignore my first nitpick :P

Edited by joev14

Nice build! It looks a bit like my own. A couple things bug me though (no pun intended :P). I feel like the back should stick out a bit more. Although it doesn't need a stinger per say, it should protrude at least as far as the original model did. You should also ditch the yellow gears for black ones. Lastly, I feel like the wings should be tilted a bit more upward, away from the back, rather than downward, parallel with the back.

EDIT: Just saw the tail in the extra photos. Ignore my first nitpick :P

When you said my model looked a bit like yours, I shuddered, worrying that I'd been beaten to the punch with a similar-looking Rahi. Luckily, it's not THAT similar apart from using more modern parts and having much more organic shaping than the blocky original model!

Sorry that the tail wasn't visible in the first pic—it's a dreadfully hard model to get good pictures of, since it can't really "stand" like a Toa or land-bound Rahi can. And the wings aren't actually pointed downward, even though my pictures ended up looking like that—I typically consider them to look best parallel to the ground, with the head itself pointed slightly downward (a good position for staring down earthbound foes, or giving a menacing look to a foe on its level).

The yellow gears were a deliberate choice—I actually had black gears originally and had to scavenge one of the yellow ones from the Piraka Stronghold just to get a full set of four. I think they contribute to the "set-like" appeal of the model. They help tie it together aesthetically with the similar Lord of Skull Spiders set (which also uses yellow gears), and add a fair deal of visual energy to what would otherwise be a fairly unappealing mass of black parts. This is just my personal opinion—I'm also the rare sort of fan who almost universally prefers the red and blue pins to the old black and grey ones, so I was fully expecting someone to criticize the use of yellow for the functional elements.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The yellow gears were a deliberate choice—I actually had black gears originally and had to scavenge one of the yellow ones from the Piraka Stronghold just to get a full set of four. I think they contribute to the "set-like" appeal of the model. They help tie it together aesthetically with the similar Lord of Skull Spiders set (which also uses yellow gears), and add a fair deal of visual energy to what would otherwise be a fairly unappealing mass of black parts. This is just my personal opinion—I'm also the rare sort of fan who almost universally prefers the red and blue pins to the old black and grey ones, so I was fully expecting someone to criticize the use of yellow for the functional elements.

Yeah, the "mess of black problem" is why breaking up the color isn't always such a bad thing. I don't like the red and blue pins, but the yellow gears look like technological details and don't clash with the light green in the way a color like red would.

Edited by Latrodectus

Great job, everyone is MOCcing Rahi right now! 2 Tarakava and now 2 Nui Rama too! Can we see Nui Jaga next? They were the best!

I really love the head/face and claws, not a huge fan of the yellow gears though. I think there is probably enough colour on this set already without them personally. I'd love to see the front of your model (from the shoulders forward) on Joev14s body. I think that would be an amazing set!

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Great job, everyone is MOCcing Rahi right now! 2 Tarakava and now 2 Nui Rama too! Can we see Nui Jaga next? They were the best!

I really love the head/face and claws, not a huge fan of the yellow gears though. I think there is probably enough colour on this set already without them personally. I'd love to see the front of your model (from the shoulders forward) on Joev14s body. I think that would be an amazing set!

Nui Jaga? Joev14 has fulfilled your wishes, and soon intends to build a Kane-Ra revamp as well.

If only someone would build a Manas revamp. (I guess with Power Functions motors or something?) :P

Lyichir, the way you made this MOC look so much like what Lego would actually produce is wonderful. I can't decide whether I like yours or Joev14's version better. I'm accepting both as my head-canon versions of what Nui-Rama look like in the Okotoverse. (As 2 variations of the same species.)

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I think the biggest advantage of this set is simply that it looks like what a 2015 set might look like. It's got the smooth surfaces of CCBS, but augmented by internal detail. The flapping function is fun and playable and it all comes together feeling so professional. 

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Wow, frontpaged! I think that's the first time that's happened for a MOC that was solely mine. :D

This is flipping amazing! The only thing off about it to me is the jaw feels a little high/close to the eyes, but everything look really perfect! And the function is just pure genius awesome-sauce!

Thanks! The very flat head (with a jaw right up against the eyes) was an aspect of the original that I felt was essential. I'm still not 100% happy with the jaw on mine, but less because of its placement and more because of its somewhat wobbly attachment and inability to hinge.

Nui Jaga? Joev14 has fulfilled your wishes, and soon intends to build a Kane-Ra revamp as well.

If only someone would build a Manas revamp. (I guess with Power Functions motors or something?) :P

Lyichir, the way you made this MOC look so much like what Lego would actually produce is wonderful. I can't decide whether I like yours or Joev14's version better. I'm accepting both as my head-canon versions of what Nui-Rama look like in the Okotoverse. (As 2 variations of the same species.)

Joev shared one of his in this topic already. While his MOCs are great I feel they're going for something very different than my own. My MOCs typically shoot for a very set-like build and appearance—in the case of this, I wanted to redesign and improve the Nui Rama solely using modern parts and design motifs, and that included its function (gear functions being a significant aspect of the Bionicle 2015 designs). His are more typical revamps that don't limit themselves to specific parts or styles, and trade the original functions for more complex shaping and posability. Both building styles are perfectly valid, but I can guarantee that they'll result in very different MOCs even when basing them on the same subject.

I might try my hand at a Nui-Jaga revamp like this Nui-Rama one. The Nui-Jaga is the second-smallest 2001 Rahi and as such the second-simplest in terms of its function. That means recreating and potentially even improving upon it should be no great imposition. My only worry is the possibility that the 2015 summer sets might include a "Lord of Skull Scorpions" or the like...

• Upvote 1

You know, it really could be a set, considering the gear function seems to be right in line with the current sets. If I were you, I would take the model, personally go to the lego headquarters, and demand that it be made a part of the summer 2015 wave

• Upvote 1

Awesome job! The MOC looks more menacing than the original set. Thought there is a lack of Infected Masks, the flapping-wings funaction is very great!:) Anyway, it looks like a combination of an IFB beast, Gorast, and Thornraxx. Can you try making a 2015 version of the Nui Rama, because the green one came with it in the set?:)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Brings back lots of memories playing with my original Nui-Rama, and I can see myself doing the same with this. =) One question, does this one not have a trigger for flapping the wings? I'm guessing not, and that's understandably a difficult mechanism to pull off, but that was such a huge part of the original's playability. I guess if you wanted to be completely true to the set concept you could try that.

Also like the stinger being much more of a stinger rather than the oddly rounded abdomen-like version of the original. That made it better for gripping, but I never really figured out what it was supposed to be - actual part of their anatomy or just added for the human to hold it? Yours makes more sense.

APlayofLight_zps1888c63b.jpeg

Part One of the Chrysalis Saga

By Takuta-Nui

Wow this is amazing! You Chir bros never cease to impress me. Every moc you build ends up being something I want to see LEGO legitimately make a combiner, or alternate model or in this case, an actual set! :)

Really well designed and looks just like the Nui Rama from 2001. The return of the stinging function is absolutely brilliant.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Brings back lots of memories playing with my original Nui-Rama, and I can see myself doing the same with this. =) One question, does this one not have a trigger for flapping the wings? I'm guessing not, and that's understandably a difficult mechanism to pull off, but that was such a huge part of the original's playability. I guess if you wanted to be completely true to the set concept you could try that.

Also like the stinger being much more of a stinger rather than the oddly rounded abdomen-like version of the original. That made it better for gripping, but I never really figured out what it was supposed to be - actual part of their anatomy or just added for the human to hold it? Yours makes more sense.

Yes, there's still a trigger for the flapping wings. Did you look at the video? The stinger tail also still functions perfectly well as a handle for it.

Anyway, to everyone else, thanks for the responses, sorry I didn't get to them sooner. Been sick the past few days. I tried submitting it to Lego Ideas and it got rejected for being a rerelease of a classic set... which it's really not, being almost 100% redesigned, with only the overall look and basic functionality in common with the original. I'll go bother Tim Courtney about it at some point, but I just don't feel up to it yet.

• Upvote 1

Wow, frontpaged! I think that's the first time that's happened for a MOC that was solely mine. :D

This is flipping amazing! The only thing off about it to me is the jaw feels a little high/close to the eyes, but everything look really perfect! And the function is just pure genius awesome-sauce!

Thanks! The very flat head (with a jaw right up against the eyes) was an aspect of the original that I felt was essential. I'm still not 100% happy with the jaw on mine, but less because of its placement and more because of its somewhat wobbly attachment and inability to hinge.

Joev shared one of his in this topic already. While his MOCs are great I feel they're going for something very different than my own. My MOCs typically shoot for a very set-like build and appearance—in the case of this, I wanted to redesign and improve the Nui Rama solely using modern parts and design motifs, and that included its function (gear functions being a significant aspect of the Bionicle 2015 designs). His are more typical revamps that don't limit themselves to specific parts or styles, and trade the original functions for more complex shaping and posability. Both building styles are perfectly valid, but I can guarantee that they'll result in very different MOCs even when basing them on the same subject.

I might try my hand at a Nui-Jaga revamp like this Nui-Rama one. The Nui-Jaga is the second-smallest 2001 Rahi and as such the second-simplest in terms of its function. That means recreating and potentially even improving upon it should be no great imposition. My only worry is the possibility that the 2015 summer sets might include a "Lord of Skull Scorpions" or the like...

Lord of Skull Scorpions? I don't think that should stop you from trying to make a Nui-Jaga revamp. It would be pretty funny if one of the summer sets was actually a scorpion that was black & purple and resembled a Nui-Jaga, though. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Very impressive! Making me really want at a modernized Tarakava now. Though I wonder how one would go about that without eliminating the punching feature....

The proportions on this set are nifty too. Love that stinger! Yeah if it existed, I'd buy it. 

blast-hornet.gif Member #473. Gator%2Blikes%2Bwheels.gif

Very impressive! Making me really want at a modernized Tarakava now. Though I wonder how one would go about that without eliminating the punching feature....

The proportions on this set are nifty too. Love that stinger! Yeah if it existed, I'd buy it.

I've considered the Tarakava, but the punching function is tricky to improve upon or modernize (not helped by my inexperience with Technic and being limited largely to LDD in the concept stages). And then there are the treads—somewhat odd even in the Technic era of 2001, but perhaps even more out-of-place on a creature in the high poseability CCBS era of 2015. I think if I attempt another Rahi it'll probably be the Nui-Jaga, or perhaps one of the Rahi from the 2002 Master Builder Set—the Takea, perhaps?

You could use the more recent tracks for a more authentic Tarakava, the segmented ones like the Skopio had must come in smaller sizes right? For technic construction vehicles perhaps? I'd like to see a tarakava build that actually looked like it still was a tarakava as both the ones we've got recently are essentially just a tarakava head on a fish/worm/eel/snake body. They're great, but they're not really tarakava...

You could use the more recent tracks for a more authentic Tarakava, the segmented ones like the Skopio had must come in smaller sizes right? For technic construction vehicles perhaps? I'd like to see a tarakava build that actually looked like it still was a tarakava as both the ones we've got recently are essentially just a tarakava head on a fish/worm/eel/snake body. They're great, but they're not really tarakava...

LOL yeah, they're both great MOCs, but I wish they still had the treads, as weird as they were. :P

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

LOL yeah, they're both great MOCs, but I wish they still had the treads, as weird as they were. :P

Yeah, it's a complicated issue. For a set like Muaka I'd feel more comfortable ditching the treads, since they weren't necessarily AS essential to the function or look of the model as a whole... but it's hard to maintain the look and feel of the Tarakava without the treads, which made up a good third of the build. And yet I'm very fond of the style of the 2015 sets so far, and part of what makes them appealing is the integration of better and more realistic articulation while retaining functionality. It's a hard line to walk, and so I'd rather start with a set like the Nui Jaga which presents simple and obvious potential for improvement, rather than the design dilemma presented by more complex models like Tarakava.

Agreed, you shouldn't have any such issues with the nui jaga (unless you consider their funky shaped pelvis triggers a subject for debate!) As far as M+KR are concerned, I see what you mean but I'd still be sad to see it without the track. Although it only makes up a small portion of it's build, unlike the tarakava, the portion it does replace is essentially the whole entire hind quarters of the creature. That means if you remove the track, you'd have to custom built replacement hips, legs and maybe even spine and tail.

Also, given how big the forelegs are, the replacements at the back would need to be pretty big too! Seems like an awful lot of work to create something unauthentic IMO. How about just improving on what's already there by keeping the track but building it from newer parts, like the assembly from a Cendox maybe? Pimp it out with some CCBS shells if that's the way you want to go, I think it has a lot of potential!

I guess there's a lot to consider with M+KR. Not just the track but the huge amount of technic in the body/neck too. I don't know where you would even start but I hope you'll give it a try. And I certainly hope you keep the tracks :D

• 3 weeks later...

try revamping the muaka

:m_p:  :i:  :s:  :h:  Kopaka.png  :i:  :s:  :s:  :e:  :l:

"INTJ PROUD;" 80788-81311-MI

• 3 months later...