LEGO Movie 2 Will Take Place Four Years Later

There's not a whole lot of information about the sequel to The LEGO Movie, but Phil Lord and Chris Miller have provided some info that indicates that it will be taking place four years after the first movie. They don't give a lot of details on what to expect, to prevent spoilers, but Emmet will apparently be having an existential crisis. It'll be interesting to see where they take this, and if it can live up to the first movie. You can read the short article here.

View the full article

First, a minor critique. For an article like this, it'd be more responsible to share the original source. In this case (linked from the article BZP linked), it's Empire Online.

Anyway, this news fills me with even more excitement about the Lego Movie sequel. I'm glad to see the directors will be exploring the repercussions of the movie's climax, and that they'll continue to tie the narrative together with the first movie's third-act metanarrative twist. Now the delay of the movie's true sequel makes even more sense. And I'm glad we have the Ninjago and Batman movies to tide us over until then!

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm honestly hoping a little that Emmet isn't the main character this time, and is instead a mentor and a new character can come in and be explored. I'm just worried that his character could be ruined after being handled so well in the first movie and I'd like to see some one else be explored as the main. I've got some fun ideas for a sequel like this.

• Upvote 2

The first movie was incredible, so it will be hard for this one to live up to it. I have hope though, and it's clear they're taking some risks, so they're not just riding the success of the first. 

On a side note, I'd love to see some Bionicle show up in a minor role... It'd be funny having a character that large next to the minifigures, and they could get some good riffing on the line (Like the character could have a ludicrously difficult to say name). Not too prominent, just a few jokes here and there. 

Edited by Latrodectus
  • Upvote 3

Sometimes, when used correctly, time jumps can be a great thing for a story to use. They can bring mystery and suspense to characters we've already met, allowing them to stay fresh in the story and not become boring. So I'm glad that they are using this concept in The Lego Movie 2. I just hope the kid has become a fan of Bionicle in that time jump, so that there is a chance a Bionicle set could appear in the story. :P 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The first movie was incredible, so it will be hard for this one to live up to it. I have hope though, and it's clear they're taking some risks, so they're not just riding the success of the first. 

On a side note, I'd love to see some Bionicle show up in a minor role... It'd be funny having a character that large next to the minifigures, and they could get some good riffing on the line (Like the character could have a ludicrously difficult to say name). Not too prominent, just a few jokes here and there.

Now that Bionicle is back and Lego is putting a lot into marketing it, I can definitely see this happening.
andromeda_m31_slideshow.jpg

Will be interesting to see what they do with the narrative this time round. Now that they've revealed the 'man upstairs' and the 'hand' they can't really retcon that. This means anyone watching the movie will be aware that everything that's happening is essentially the kids 'playing' with the Lego. In my opinion the best way to avoid this negatively impacting the movie would be to have the little sister 'playing' the main character in this movie and a now older brother being the 'guiding hand' with Emmet. It's likely his tastes will have changed too now he's a little older, he's probably about the right age for Technic which could mean his Dad has set up a whole new area in the basement for these more complex sets. Of course that means there could potentially be Bionicle involvement but I think if it does happen it's highly unlikely to play any sort of serious part in the main story. Of course another possibility is that the brother (now older) could be realising that his Dad was right and things can be more fun when they aren't quite so outlandish and ridiculous while his sister is an even younger builder than he was in the first one. That doesn't mean his imagination is gone or he's 'grown up' but just that he's started put a bit more thought into his builds. More like the quality of MoCs we see here at BZP and less like the ones he made in TLM 4 years ago...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I'm sure a lot of us are looking forward to the inevitable BIONICLE references and cameos. :P Seems like they are taking the plot seriously, which is going to be both challenging and liberating since they can come up with even crazier ideas to explain the relationship between the two dimensions.

I loved the first movie. I'm sure I'll love this one too.

APlayofLight_zps1888c63b.jpeg

Part One of the Chrysalis Saga

By Takuta-Nui

And here I thought we would get the Duplo Wars  :P

That's part of the Lego Batman movie. :P

Don't think the Duplo invasion will amount to much more than an ending gag. But your comment makes me wonder how a showdown between Lego Batman and Duplo Batman might go...
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Don't think the Duplo invasion will amount to much more than an ending gag. But your comment makes me wonder how a showdown between Lego Batman and Duplo Batman might go...

You know that trope where two people approach each other dramatically and then basically just start rapidly swatting at each other ineffectively with their hands?

something like that, i imagine.

Don't think the Duplo invasion will amount to much more than an ending gag. 

Oh come on. The guy who only builds in black and dark grey vs. the awful pink army of doom? How does that not work, especially since it provides opportunity for the other characters to lecture him on appreciating things that aren't black and dark grey? Character development.

I guess, given the four-year thing, it really is just an ending. Once I heard that there would be a sequel, I expected it to be about, you know, the sequel hook. But life is full of surprises...

When I first read the title, I thought the making of TLM2 was pushed back four years.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

When I read that part you wrote about Emmet going through existential crisis, I was thinking that didn't sound any different from the first one. But I think you misread the article; it says he was going through that. Granted, in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, it was mentioned that all fiction has in common one question: "Who am I?"

©1984-2015 Toaraga EAM

COT Official Topics | Trade References | COT RPG Guidelines | Truth | A Naming Day Carol | Stars Review The trouble with the status quo is that it keeps changing."College dropout, Shego: they let me in; I let myself out." -Dr. Drakken No great feat was ever accomplished by those who gave into fear or caved under pressure. Earthquakes in many places.|| Busy with life