What if CCBS had been introduced with the Glatorian?

Zeb

So looking at some of the first CCBS parts, you may notice that they were copyrighted in 2009. The CCBS wasn't released until 2011. So Lego had been working on the new system for quite some time. But what if they had introduced the system not with HF 2.0, but with the Glatorian?

Think about it, the Glatorian would actually have looked organic, and would probably have ended up being 100% organic in the story, which I think was the original plan. Would the strong, stable joints of CCBS have saved Bionicle? The story was basically a soft reboot in 2009, and perhaps the more streamlined designs of the sets would have resparked interest in the line. perhaps the CCBS would not be as hated, and would have been accepted by the fanbase easier. Of course there would still be people who hated it, but there wouldn't be any people calling them "stupid HF parts".

So what do you think? Could the CCBS have saved Bionicle, or at least kept it going a little longer? I'm personally glad Bionicle ended in 2010, because it allowed for something different to come in, and in the end Bionicle ended up being hard-rebooted with a fresh new story, so I think it worked out for the best.

• Upvote 2

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

It would have certainly cut down on the 'I hate CCBS because HF' mentality. 

However at the same time, not having CCBS in Gen1 makes Hero Factory much more defined that it would have been.

Personally, I would have liked for 2009 to have introduced what 1.0 HF did, a blend of Bionicle and CCBS.

• Upvote 4

bZpOwEr

Well, in that case, people would have complained about "stupid Glatorian parts" instead of "stupid HF parts." :P

But in all seriousness, I didn't think that the quality of the Glatorian sets was too huge a part of why they did badly. I thought the overly complicated story was a much more major factor.

~B~

• Upvote 3

Well, in that case, people would have complained about "stupid Glatorian parts" instead of "stupid HF parts." :P

But in all seriousness, I didn't think that the quality of the Glatorian sets was too huge a part of why they did badly. I thought the overly complicated story was a much more major factor.

~B~

Yeah, that's true. It might have made the Stars have more articulation, though. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

As awesome as it would have been to have the CCBS sooner, I certainly don't think it would have "saved BIONICLE". The decision to end BIONICLE was made in 2008, and while the CCBS was a game-changer in terms of design, the theme's long-declining sales weren't simply a product of stagnant design. The relevance of the BIONICLE brand itself was declining as more and more fans grew out of the theme and it became harder and harder for new fans to get invested in the story.

And the 2009 storyline was already a huge shock to many older fans. Changing the building system as well would have left very little that fans who joined in 2008 or earlier would have been familiar with. A series of gradual, incremental changes is often a lot more palateable than wrapping things up into one revolutionary change.

What's more, the introduction of the CCBS involved a LOT of new molds. It wouldn't have been very wise to make such a huge upfront investment on a theme that was already on its last legs.

• Upvote 6

A 2009 copyright doesn't mean that the system was ready to go that year, does it? I seem to recall that the decision to cancel BIONICLE came some time in 2008.

But assuming that CCBS had been introduced in the original BIONICLE, I think that we would have seen a gradual implementation. It would likely have seen its largest initial use in the villager sets, given the use of the Av-Matoran system, which, while a much different kettle of fish than CCBS, clearly had the shared goal of simplifying the building process. This being BIONICLE, there would probably have been some action-gimmick based around the ball-joint connections.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Aanchir!

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

It was probably a better move on LEGO's part to introduce it in Hero Factory and thus give a separate, distinct flavor to that line.

In all likelihood, though, the system wasn't really ready for production until they were sure all the kinks had been worked out.

• Upvote 1

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

What's more, the introduction of the CCBS involved a LOT of new molds. It wouldn't have been very wise to make such a huge upfront investment on a theme that was already on its last legs.

Well, 2009 got well over 40 new parts, so it doesn't look to me like they were that worried about that particular issue. (so many parts) And I mean, CCBS was always meant to stick around for a long, long time, so spending money on introducing the system would probably not be seen in the same way as making parts specifically for the one year. Not that I think they would or should have done it--I agree with the rest of your post. It's just this that probably didn't play that much of a factor.

@Forgotten Warrior: CCBS is just what Lego calls the system.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Thank you. Now as to why, I really want to find out. Is it due to the fact they used that system during the Tanker Takeover/Savage Planet arc, or was it something else?

I imagine that it has to do with its versatility. Unlike original BIONICLE parts, which were full of pistons and whatnot, CCBS pieces are intended to fit as comfortably in a Super Heroes model as a BIONICLE one.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

I don't know - the story shifted drastically in 2009 which kind of threw off many older fans (myself included). Introducing a new building system might have had as much of a negative impact. Also, I think LEGO really wanted to introduce the system with a new theme to ensure it was publicized pretty extensively (apparently BIONICLE was refused placement on Toy Magazine covers because of how old it had become).

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Hmm... That could have been pretty interesting. I actually thought the Glatorian looked pretty cool, I wish I had picked them up when they were in stock though but alas. I will say the current CCBS used with Bionicle now is very nice. It's basically a happy medium between the movements and articulation from the Inika onward but it brings back the gears we all know and love. I don't think the CCBS would have saved Bionicle, I think the disinterest in the story is what brought the series to an end. It certainly would be interesting to see characters like Strakk, Gresh and Mata Nui in CCBS form, but I think it's best that Lego stuck with the Bionicle build for the entirety of G1. Don't get me wrong, CCBS is fan-freakin'-tastic, but it's cartoony style would not do Bionicle G1 justice. It works wonders on the more vibrant style this reboot is going for though.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

That's the thing people don't seem to understand; CCBS does not = Hero Factory

Hmm... That could have been pretty interesting. I actually thought the Glatorian looked pretty cool, I wish I had picked them up when they were in stock though but alas. I will say the current CCBS used with Bionicle now is very nice. It's basically a happy medium between the movements and articulation from the Inika onward but it brings back the gears we all know and love. I don't think the CCBS would have saved Bionicle, I think the disinterest in the story is what brought the series to an end. It certainly would be interesting to see characters like Strakk, Gresh and Mata Nui in CCBS form, but I think it's best that Lego stuck with the Bionicle build for the entirety of G1. Don't get me wrong, CCBS is fan-freakin'-tastic, but it's cartoony style would not do Bionicle G1 justice. It works wonders on the more vibrant style this reboot is going for though.

Was it just me or were the Glatorian only on the shelves for a little bit, shorter than any sets?

cringe

I hope that by next year, CCBS will be completely associated with Bionicle, and old fans will no longer see it as the "Hero Factory system." Having new molds in the Bionicle style will help this, and when the relaunch hype dies down, old fans will either learn to appreciate CCBS or no longer display interest in Bionicle. What we're left with is all the Bionicle fans who have embraced CCBS, or liked it from the beginning!

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

It pretty much is. It was the the theme that introduced it and used it consistently through its run (barring 1.0).

That's kinda like saying the previous constraction style equaled Throwbots. :P Obviously Hero Factory is very associated with the CCBS, but I think as more time goes on with Bionicle, we'll see CCBS more associated with it. 

That said, I'm very glad to see the old Y-joints haven't been abandoned. Even with a new snap-together system, they're still versatile pieces that are core to Bionicle.

Edited by Latrodectus

That's kinda like saying the previous constraction style equaled Throwbots. :P Obviously Hero Factory is very associated with the CCBS, but I think as more time goes on with Bionicle, we'll see CCBS more associated with it. 

That said, I'm very glad to see the old Y-joints haven't been abandoned. Even with a new snap-together system, they're still versatile pieces that are core to Bionicle.

Maybe in 2001, sure, but BIONICLE did introduce a lot of elements never seen before with characters like the Bohrok, Rahkshi, Metru and Inika. It kind of became a system on its own. So while Hero Factory isn't the only line to use CCBS, a lot of people do connect it to the line because it introduced the system fist.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Maybe in 2001, sure, but BIONICLE did introduce a lot of elements never seen before with characters like the Bohrok, Rahkshi, Metru and Inika. It kind of became a system on its own. So while Hero Factory isn't the only line to use CCBS, a lot of people do connect it to the line because it introduced the system fist.

-NotS

The difference, I would argue, is that the parts introduced for BIONICLE were never intended for anything else. And while elements from the theme were occasionally used in system sets (an extreme example being the Viking line,) they were mostly kept to BIONICLE (and the first year of Hero Factory.) They aren't un-versatile, but they are still mostly limited to mechanical looking characters. Basic CCBS pieces, on the other hand, are less particular in use. When I see one used in a system set, I don't think "that's a Hero Factory piece." I think of it as part of the building system that Hero Factory employs.

I understand the system being associated with Hero Factory, but I don't think that strictly connecting the two is really fair.

• Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

So looking at some of the first CCBS parts, you may notice that they were copyrighted in 2009. The CCBS wasn't released until 2011. So Lego had been working on the new system for quite some time. But what if they had introduced the system not with HF 2.0, but with the Glatorian?

Think about it, the Glatorian would actually have looked organic, and would probably have ended up being 100% organic in the story, which I think was the original plan. Would the strong, stable joints of CCBS have saved Bionicle? The story was basically a soft reboot in 2009, and perhaps the more streamlined designs of the sets would have resparked interest in the line. perhaps the CCBS would not be as hated, and would have been accepted by the fanbase easier. Of course there would still be people who hated it, but there wouldn't be any people calling them "stupid HF parts".

So what do you think? Could the CCBS have saved Bionicle, or at least kept it going a little longer? I'm personally glad Bionicle ended in 2010, because it allowed for something different to come in, and in the end Bionicle ended up being hard-rebooted with a fresh new story, so I think it worked out for the best.

I seriously don't like when people diss CCBS purely because "CCBS = HF parts" thought process. It definitely would've cut that down, but then think of how much HF would suffer, "HF is a complete ripoff of the Glatorians." there really was no winning with introducing this new system, so it was probably better for Lego to use it in HF than the last line of Bionicle.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I didn't fully read all of the above posts but there are at least several that I agree with regarding the introduction of CCBS. I think Bionicle was fated to end on Spherus Magna, that was it's final destiny. I also feel that in fact it should have been shutdown cold turkey (Gen 1 only that is) after the reforming of the planet and final defeat of Makuta for what it's worth but that's another story! Bionicle was already on it's way out. It was too complicated and had changed too much from what made it great in the first place. The sets had been stuck in the same Inika build for too long as well, though I guess that's what we're discussing here!

Introducing CCBS to Bionicle for the Spherus Magna saga and the beginning of the reboot (if timing would've allowed, I missed the dates which I'm positive were mentioned) it would have introduced some much needed variety to the sets but the story had already lost a lot of it's drive and popularity had been waning for some time (else it would never have been considered for cancellation!) The result would have been that CCBS would have appeared to be a lost cause along with Bionicle itself. Only to an extent of course but it would likely have affected what came next in constraction. Then even if Hero Factory was still released in the exact same way, people would feel that they'd already seen the CCBS in Bionicle and they hadn't liked it or it hadn't worked. There would have been even more scepticism over HF, as opposed to what was pretty much just us Bionicle fans saying 'it's not right, it's not bionicle'. As it was, Hero Factory was something new and completely different to Bionicle and it's last stage of development in the Glatorian build. Change can be an unpleasant thing for people who don't want it but a world without change is just as scary. HF prompted new fans to see a product that wasn't previously available, not to mention a brand new jumping on point without 10 years of story to try and get to grips with. I imagine the majority of Bionicle fans probably at least gave HF a go to get a look at the new CCBS system too. Something they wouldn't have done if they had already experienced in the previous line...

2011 (arguably 2010) was the logical conclusion of Bionicle's run and it was a VERY impressive run! We needed Hero Factory to give TLG time to work on the constraction theme more and just 4 years later we got Gen 2. With CCBS Bionicle. If anything I'd call Hero Factory a sort of prototype stage of Gen 2 Bionicle, and I'm perfectly happy with the way that's worked in our favour personally!

Edited by Munty

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!