Why Go To Mata Nui?

The other day I had a chance to sit down and watch the "Metru Nui duology" (LoMN and WoS) back-to-back, saving the LoMN epilogue for the very end of both films. Upon doing this, and looking up what I could find on BS01 about the subject, a question occurred to me: What exactly was stopping the Turaga and Matoran from going back to Metru Nui at any time, either just after awakening the Matoran or after Makuta's defeat in '01? Obviously the Visorak were infesting the city for a while, but Vakama took care of that problem...so they spent 1,000 years on Mata Nui building their villages and such, only to THEN go back and rebuild the city. Why not just start rebuilding Metru Nui to begin with? Thoughts?

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

Makuta was. He followed them, taking up residence in Mangaia and harassing them with infected rahi along with harsh weather with his weather control.

• Upvote 4

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Three basic things -- Makuta (timing for the Plan, evidently), the Toa's not having been summoned to the island (by Takua as it happened) until a thousand years after moving there, and the fact that the Turaga did not yet trust the Toa (since they probably thought Makuta was defeated in 01, but they didn't want to tell them about Metru Nui yet).

They probably also thought the prophecy of the seventh Toa must be fulfilled first.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Three basic things -- Makuta (timing for the Plan, evidently), the Toa's not having been summoned to the island (by Takua as it happened) until a thousand years after moving there, and the fact that the Turaga did not yet trust the Toa (since they probably thought Makuta was defeated in 01, but they didn't want to tell them about Metru Nui yet).

They probably also thought the prophecy of the seventh Toa must be fulfilled first.

Pretty much the reasons stated here. Other than that, it's just a plot device. :)

Yeah, it was Makuta's job to keep the Turaga and Matoran away from Metru Nui, as it was part of The Plan. 

When Matoran don't work on Metru Nui for a long period of time, Mata Nui becomes weaker. This exact thing happened with the Matoran Civil War - Matoran weren't working on Metru Nui, so Mata Nui started dying until Toa Jovan's team healed the Great Spirit. 

Matoran not on Metru Nui for a long time, Mata Nui starts dying, a Toa team heals the Great Spirit... sound familiar?

Edited by Professor Turnip

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

It's not like the Matoran came back to Metru Nui and everything was okay. There were still a bunch of mutated and unmutated Rahi on the loose after the Visorak breached the Archives, everything was still covered in webs, the Great Cataclysm left buildings cracked and ruined... there was a lot of work to be done, even with the Rahaga, Keetongu, and Dume having done a good amount of work.

I doubt the Matoran were able to do much to improve Metru Nui before Teridax's head was smashed into Aqua Magna, so the city's final glory days were definitely the ones leading up to the Cataclysm.

I still don't get why they would have wanted to go back to Metru City. This would be the equivalent of telling some Hawaiians that even though they live in a paradise they have to go back to some ruins which used to be New York City.

They had to go back in order to wake up Mata Nui. If the Matoran aren't working in Metru Nui, the Great Spirit robot can't function. 

I still don't get why they would have wanted to go back to Metru City. This would be the equivalent of telling some Hawaiians that even though they live in a paradise they have to go back to some ruins which used to be New York City.

Personally, I've thought for a long time that pretty much only people who think that people stranded in the wilderness and forced to survive are in "paradise" are moderns sitting comfortably in their sofas or the like, typing at leisure on advanced technology gained through many generations of hard work. :P

Admittedly, that wilderness had just gotten much safer with the defeat of the infected Rahi, but the Toa who were the key to that had a mission and they were going to go down to Metru Nui, so that wouldn't have necessarily been reliable. And the analogy also misses that the only reason they really survived in that wilderness was the leadership of the Turaga, who were now the very people telling them to move. Nobody would question that!

(And yes, the real reason is they needed to repair the brain-machinery of Mata Nui so he could be awakened. Of course, the Matoran didn't understand this, so I'd say the above is more relevant in terms of their motivation in obeying.)

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)