Kopaka Alternate Form (app combiner)

Munty

I assume this is the best place to post this, though of course it should be noted that the Kopaka combiner is NOT my own creation so much as my attempt to build the design which is given to android players of the 'Mask of Creation' app as an alternate form. I was considering doing this yesterday and on logging into BZP today I saw that another member has done the same for Onua's alternate form (not uploaded yet as of writing this) so I figured I would have a go at Kopaka! 

Here are some of the pics, the rest should be available on my photobucket which is public I believe. The construction is fairly straightforward but some reworking of the gearbo is necessary to achieve the design shown in the game and one part is not available in the colour it should be. I'll try to point these bits out along with the pics. First up though, here he is!

10912818_10152996180276763_161957711_n_z

Apologies for the less than fantastic image quality but here is a backview of his unobstructed right side.

10490314_10152996180081763_1295809113_n_

Here you can see how the protector torso has been used to bulk out Kopaka's back and attach the two etra armour shells at his waist.

10859870_10152996179986763_784983304_n_z

And finally, here is a shot that hints at the changes the gearbox requires in order to mount Kopaka's spear as shown in the game. The connector that attaches it to his gearbox is correct as depicted in the game but it should be WHITE, a piece that exists in neither set. Everything else is correct. In order to attach this piece, the gearbox must be altered to give a dual function, allowing both arms to be rotated via the gear. My configurations seems to be accurate as far as I can tell by the low resolution in game models. 

10816008_10152996179951763_672248729_n_z

EDIT - forgot to mention there is a discrepancy in the game regarding this alternate form. In the Toa-selection screen, Kopaka is depicted as having his new shoulder pieces raised up almost horizontal as in the first picture above. When playing though, they seem to be angled downwards significantly which can be seen in the image below. I prefer the below variant personally as they look less like giant air intakes! Neither arrangement looks quite so ridiculous as Gali's huge shoulder pads anyway (guess she's an 80's girl!) but neither allow for a great deal of neck articulation which is a shame. It leaves Kopaka somewhat stuck with Lewa in tunnelvision town!

The final build is pretty cool but his shoulders (from the gearbox, not beside his head) are pretty much bare and it looks strange when he has no weapons in his hand as pictured on the Toa selection screen in game. Of course he can be equipped with the spear from his back but I thought he would also have a heavier option in the form of his 'wing' blades. Turns out this theory translates quite well into set form and so here he is taking down his heavy weapons...

10877741_10152996179896763_676177505_n_z

10934438_10152996179866763_1790500528_n_

Any thoughts or criticisms please post away, especially if you think I've got something wrong! What do you think of the combiner? Are you looking forward to seeing the other five? And are you excited to see instructions?

EDIT 2: After checking and playing with the combined form a little I have a final image to share. This is as close as I can get Kopaka to his 'attack' stance as depicted in the game. His wing-blades point down his arms and he uses them to either spear or scythe his enemies. Occasionally he will attack with both blades in a sort of dual jab which one would imagine to be pretty tough! Here he is;

10933352_10152996538786763_257294274_n_z

Edited by Munty
  • Upvote 4

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

That's certainly interesting.

I like how the spear on the back seems to resemble a flag. Matoro throwback.

The "four hands" approach is interesting. Not having seen this model in the game (I have the iOS version with Onua's form unlocked instead of Kopaka's), can you tell me - do they appear to function as normal swords in the game (which would imply that yes, they are indeed hands just sticking out of his upper arms)?

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I just played a quick game with him to check and it's unclear. I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that the upper 'hands' were operational though. I think that would be a bit wierd! They are however clearly movable though as in some of  his attacks he willspin the wing blades (hence spin the 'hands') In the game he moves very fast so a lot of the action is hard to see but in general he either jabs with the spear or uses the wing blades in an almost scythe like fashion, sweeping his upper arm around as if to mount a tackle and slicing up the SS in the process! There's certainly; no point at which you see him hold the wing blades in his hands so as far as we know that's just artistic license on my part.

So yes, they do work as blades (though not swords in the traditional sense) But those upper hadns are almost certainly not hands in the typical sense, more like assisted sheathes!

I have the android version and I really like the winged Kopaka. I would rather have the Onua combiner to play with in the game but hey, this is a better combiner overall.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Thanks TLH, I do like it as a set, I haven't taken it out of that last 'attack pose' since I created it! He's one of 11 desk mascots right now!!! The others include 2 stormtrooper minifigs, a pair of sand tarakava, Preston Stormer and a small toy polar bear :D You should post up a pic of yours when you get it built, or send me a pic and I'll add it to the first post. We can have a gallery of everyone's combiners :P

If they do release instructions for it, you should definitely see how 1:1 your recreation is.

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

• 2 months later...