Video Game Lego Themes

IcarusBen

Well if you are going to put Uncharted in there may as well have Tomb Raider as well. As for the Mortal Kombat Mini-figs. Would not be too difficult. I mean they practically have the figures already in virtually any Ninja outfit. Just paint the colors blue, yellow, green, red, & purple(is that all of them?), respectively. Though for the sake of Fatalities, the CCBS would possibly be better. Let's see how well they do with the non-robotic(Looking at you vader) characters. I could see them making sets of the arenas or traps. Like the acid pool has a flip door that you could place a mini-fig on and flip the door to reveal a skeleton instead. Or maybe a lever to activate a character's teleport attacks.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I don't think Mortal Kombat would be within Lego's target audience. Just saying...

True, but they can always make it more kid friendly.

Also, I do like the idea of having where the sets would be arenas ,and you'd have 2 figs per arena.

Also also, Tomb Raider would be great as well, as mentioned.

67685335.jpg             

Trying to make Mortal Kombat "kid-friendly" is just asking for trouble. Kids will buy the sets, then they'll want the games. Unless you could devote time and resources to make a LEGO Mortal Kombat game (preferably a fighting game) then I don't see it working out.

Also, anyone remember the SNES MKI port? Poor Kano... I feel bad for his fatality. 

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Trying to make Mortal Kombat "kid-friendly" is just asking for trouble. Kids will buy the sets, then they'll want the games. Unless you could devote time and resources to make a LEGO Mortal Kombat game (preferably a fighting game) then I don't see it working out.

Also, anyone remember the SNES MKI port? Poor Kano... I feel bad for his fatality. 

Don't market the sets to "kids" then.

Slap a 13 or 14 and older message on the box.

Also, what about The Superheroes theme? Or Star Wars?

Neither of those could really be considered "kid-friendly" if you watch or read their original content.

Either way, I'd love to see an MK theme at some point.

Even if it's just a new series of the Minifigures line.

67685335.jpg             

Neither of those could really be considered "kid-friendly" if you watch or read their original content.

• Even though Star Wars and superhero comics/movies sometimes indulge in over-the-top violence, Mortal Kombat is practically defined by it. In fact, its violence has often been touted as a selling point in advertising.

• Besides that, LEGO has never had movie-based sets based on a movie with a rating higher than PG-13. The vast majority of Mortal Kombat games are rated M by the ESRB, meaning only for players 17 and up, and international ratings boards have rated them similarly or even given them higher ratings.  By contrast, this would be like making a theme of a movie series that rarely dips below an R rating.

• The higher a set's recommended age range, the smaller its buying audience will be. LEGO is, at its core, a toy for children. In other words, the business case for a LEGO Ideas set that is designed only for ages 14 and up would be very weak.

• LEGO has their reputation to look after. Even if it's not always justified, a lot of parents are a lot more scared of kids playing violent video games than kids watching violent movies or reading violent books, since video games are a hands-on experience where kids will often not only be seeing, but acting out the violence in question. So they have to tread lightly when making sets based on video game series.

• On the same note, LEGO has a reputation as a family-friendly brand. This means that ties to a brand that is not considered family-friendly will reflect badly on them as a company, even if they put a higher age recommendation on the sets in question.
In short, LEGO Mortal Kombat is unlikely to ever happen unless the series itself undergoes a radical transformation to become more kid-friendly, and I don't think Mortal Kombat fans would like that at all. Edited by Aanchir

Aside from that, there's not much to make Lego out of. Once you have figs of the characters and a giant system model of that dragon logo, what's left? (I never played the game, but from what I understand of it, not much.)

Personally I think a world type game like Destiny, Skyrim, or Mass Effect would be better. Lego does worlds, characters, and spaceships pretty good.

But they don't do multi limbed aliens too well, ending up with massive torsos and stumpy legs.

And I think "evil space zombies" won't go over too well in legos kids department.

Too bad though, a destiny series could have been good.

Edited by ToaSalvus
  • Upvote 1

Well a little tidbit for the non-MK fans, the reason we have ratings for video games is because of the less than kid friendly content(blood; decapitations, gruesome fatalities in general) of the original Mortal Kombat game. So while I think some MK themed lego sets  would be really good. Seems unlikely due to this. However seeing as how in the lego games death consists of parts falling off or being blown apart... How is this not doable MK style? I mean sure, the lack of blood fountains found in Mortal Kombat would be out of the question... Some of the seemingly gruesome fatalities would become more comedic in a lego atmosphere. That is if they made a game out of it. The set wise would best be described as the different arenas with buildable traps coming with at least 2 minifigures representing characters from the games.

A cool example could be a freeze trap in a set with Sub-zero where he would trap the other figure in ice. Or Scorpion could have his spear weapon. Goro and the other of his kind could be built by using the Garmadon type build. After all his species are naturally larger than normal humanoids. Back to the Ninjas, you could have Scorpion's figure have an actual skull underneath his mask, Reptile could use the Chima croc prints, and Sub-Zero could have the Ice Chima trans parts to represent his ice powers.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

But they don't do multi limbed aliens too well, ending up with massive torsos and stumpy legs.

*insert CCBS here*

Seriously, that's all you'd need. Slap a small torso on top of a big torso and bang, four-armed aliens. Maybe even six-armed aliens.

Meh, I wouldn't be too interested in a skeleball Fallen.

*insert CCBS here*

Seriously, that's all you'd need. Slap a small torso on top of a big torso and bang, four-armed aliens. Maybe even six-armed aliens.

Meh, I wouldn't be too interested in a skeleball Fallen.

And so ends THAT discussion.

I may be joking, but what if they did a new Sonic the Hedgehog theme?

I'm sure a theme based on Sonic Boom would be the best thing ever, and would not be a complete and utter failure.

Just think of how bad things could be  ;)

I'm sure a theme based on Sonic Boom would be the best thing ever, and would not be a complete and utter failure.

All I can think of now is a set featuring an infinite jumping Knuckles and stupidly shallow water which causes immediate death. :P

• Upvote 1

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

Lol, a Sonic theme could be cool. The Mini-figures would be designed like the Chima ones in regards to the animal motif. With So many Sonic games out there what one if only one would make a cool set design? I remember the original Sega games where you raced around loops and dodged bots and fought Robotnic(not Eggman :P) in various contraptions. How would this translate to set design?

• Upvote 1

Onua.png

Lol, a Sonic theme could be cool. The Mini-figures would be designed like the Chima ones in regards to the animal motif. With So many Sonic games out there what one if only one would make a cool set design? I remember the original Sega games where you raced around loops and dodged bots and fought Robotnic(not Eggman :P) in various contraptions. How would this translate to set design?

I agree that the originals were better, but as I was saying earlier, the new takes on this classic have been... laughable...  :superfunny:

The minifigs would be interesting to see, though.

All I can think of now is a set featuring an infinite jumping Knuckles and stupidly shallow water which causes immediate death. :P

Imagine Knuckles as a big fig...

...And so came the end of the world...

• Upvote 1

SO apparently somebody has been raiding our topic here for ideas. My brother brought to my attention regarding a character named Tremor who was a male brown ninja released in the games. well while doing an image search for the character I found this...

https://seancantrell.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/legomkfigures.png

Onua.png

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought it would be cool if there was a Zelda theme that was a system/constraction hybrid. You could have a Link minifigure with different weapons and a constraction boss. Zelda has always had cool bosses, and I think that would be a unique way to have sets that weren't just assorted dungeons.

I always thought it would be cool if there was a Zelda theme that was a system/constraction hybrid. You could have a Link minifigure with different weapons and a constraction boss. Zelda has always had cool bosses, and I think that would be a unique way to have sets that weren't just assorted dungeons.

I don't think pure constraction would be the best choice for Zelda bosses. Generally constraction figures need specially designed heads and similar parts, and those would be unlikely to see further use (after all, even if the theme lasted several years, how often do you think we'd need to see a boss like Gohma or King Dodongo reappear in sets?). I think a System/Constraction hybrid (like used for the dragons in Ninjago or the Legend Beasts in Chima) would allow for greater detail at a lower price.

I think the best way such a theme could be done would be to have a mix of dungeons, bosses, and even other assorted locations. So, for instance, a dungeon like Ocarina of Time's Water Temple could be portrayed solely by the boss fight with Dark Link as a small set, while a set of a location like Kakariko Village could go without a "boss character", and a set of a dungeon like A Link to the Past's Tower of Hera would almost necessarily need both the boss AND dungeon since the Moldorm fight is so thoroughly integrated into the dungeon design.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• Even though Star Wars and superhero comics/movies sometimes indulge in over-the-top violence, Mortal Kombat is practically defined by it. In fact, its violence has often been touted as a selling point in advertising.

• Besides that, LEGO has never had movie-based sets based on a movie with a rating higher than PG-13. The vast majority of Mortal Kombat games are rated M by the ESRB, meaning only for players 17 and up, and international ratings boards have rated them similarly or even given them higher ratings.  By contrast, this would be like making a theme of a movie series that rarely dips below an R rating.

• The higher a set's recommended age range, the smaller its buying audience will be. LEGO is, at its core, a toy for children. In other words, the business case for a LEGO Ideas set that is designed only for ages 14 and up would be very weak.

• LEGO has their reputation to look after. Even if it's not always justified, a lot of parents are a lot more scared of kids playing violent video games than kids watching violent movies or reading violent books, since video games are a hands-on experience where kids will often not only be seeing, but acting out the violence in question. So they have to tread lightly when making sets based on video game series.

• On the same note, LEGO has a reputation as a family-friendly brand. This means that ties to a brand that is not considered family-friendly will reflect badly on them as a company, even if they put a higher age recommendation on the sets in question.
In short, LEGO Mortal Kombat is unlikely to ever happen unless the series itself undergoes a radical transformation to become more kid-friendly, and I don't think Mortal Kombat fans would like that at all.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree here.

Back in the olden days, Robocop, of all things, was marketed as toys to children.

Robocop was far from ever being any where close to a "PG-13" rating.

I don't remember ever reading or hearing any backlash about those toys either.

Also, I'd like to point out that a rating on a game or movie RARELY ever effects what a child will get.

Halo, CoD, BF, and the works all have M ratings, but I seem to run into a squeaker every game.

Even though MK Lego may never happen, it is not unreasonable to say it could happen.

Look at Mega Bloks.

They have Halo, CoD, and AC themed sets, marketed as "Collector's Items".

I still consider MB to be a "toy company" for children, yet they still managed to have convert M rated games into kids' toys

Will we ever see MK Lego?

Probably not.

Is there a chance there could be an MK theme?

Absolutely.

Edited by You just lost the game

67685335.jpg             

In short, LEGO Mortal Kombat is unlikely to ever happen unless the series itself undergoes a radical transformation to become more kid-friendly, and I don't think Mortal Kombat fans would like that at all.

Back in the olden days, Robocop, of all things, was marketed as toys to children.

Also, I'd like to point out that a rating on a game or movie RARELY ever effects what a child will get.

Halo, CoD, BF, and the works all have M ratings, but I seem to run into a squeaker every game.

Even though MK Lego may never happen, it is not unreasonable to say it could happen.

Look at Mega Bloks.

I still consider MB to be a "toy company" for children, yet they still managed to have convert M rated games into kids' toys

Probably not.

Absolutely.

Robocop toys were not made by LEGO, though. And the reason Mega Bloks is able to get so many licenses based on M-rated games is because they are licenses LEGO would reject in a heartbeat. The fact that other companies are not as strict about their brand values as LEGO doesn't mean LEGO should or would imitate that.

The general public holds LEGO to a higher standard than most other toy companies. Just look at what a tremendous outcry there has been about gendered marketing in LEGO since 2012, when companies like Hasbro and Mattel have been making far more gendered toys and advertisements for several decades. If being held to such high standards was holding LEGO back, and they were struggling to keep up with other toy companies, there'd be a much stronger argument for relaxing their values. But from the look of things, it's done exactly the opposite. LEGO is currently the largest toy company in the world, and as such they can afford to be a bit picky about which licenses they pursue.

And I'll agree, sometimes that's a real bummer for us fans. I'd love an Ace Attorney set, but the fact that the latest Ace Attorney game was rated M (and that the series has dealt with grisly murders from the beginning) makes that rather unlikely. But sometimes it's best for the company to act in its own best interests, rather than in the interests of a particular group of fans. Most of us wouldn't completely stop buying LEGO because of licenses they DON'T have, but there are people who would stop buying LEGO due to licenses they DO have.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

Look at Mega Bloks.

Probably not.

Absolutely.

Lego dose know that games like Halo and CoD are played by six and seven year olds, right? And I know this one kid who's seven and loves to play saints row. So I believe that kids could handle a game rated "M" being turned into a lego theme. Parents... Depends on how strict they are.

After all, you don't see people flipping their lid because the Transformer Warpath turns into a tank. Granted there is the whole "Megatrons illegal because he's a gun", but that's more due to gun laws than what people want for their kids. Otherwise we wouldn't see NERF guns on the shelves.

The problem isn't that kids don't M-rated games, it's that in most places, it's illegal to sell M-rated games to minors. Lego has brand image to maintain, so they won't make M-rated themes. I don't think Lego has ever done anything higher than PG-13.

• Upvote 2

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

The problem isn't that kids don't M-rated games, it's that in most places, it's illegal to sell M-rated games to minors. Lego has brand image to maintain, so they won't make M-rated themes. I don't think Lego has ever done anything higher than PG-13.

The minors often don't buy the games themselves, but play them because their older brother/sister does. My mom has lots of friends that have kids, and when they come over they are allowed to play Xbox. I don't descriminate based on age, they can play any game they want, as long as they put it back.

And I myself have been playing games rated over "teen" since I was 8.

Edited by Decepticonwarrior

The minors often don't buy the games themselves, but play them because their older brother/sister does. My mom has lots of friends that have kids, and when they come over they are allowed to play Xbox. I don't descriminate based on age, they can play any game they want, as long as they put it back.

Irrelevant. I play games like Fallout: NV and Skyrim all the time, but I can't legally buy them from a store. Lego has a brand image to maintain and can't encourage kids to buy something that they're not supposed to.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Ace Attorney? Rated M? Really?

I know there's a lot of murder and stuff, but I didn't think of it being particularly gruesome, and swearing and vulgarity are kept to a minimum. 

According to the ESRB website, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney — Dual Destinies was rated M for "violence, blood, suggestive themes, language." The difference from the previous games (which were rated T) is most likely due to the cutscenes being fully animated (including murder scenes) and the investigation segments being 3D (some censors are more sensitive to 3D blood than 2D blood due to realism).

Contrast Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It had basically the same format as Dual Destinies (animated cutscenes and 3D investigation segments), but the crimes were not nearly as bloody and never even involved a dead body. That game was therefore rated T for "Mild Blood, Mild Suggestive Themes, Mild Violence, Use of Alcohol".

Rating systems can be weird sometimes. But at the same time, the LEGO Group can't exactly be seen as encouraging kids to play games that they're not legally permitted to buy.

Lego dose know that games like Halo and CoD are played by six and seven year olds, right? And I know this one kid who's seven and loves to play saints row. So I believe that kids could handle a game rated "M" being turned into a lego theme. Parents... Depends on how strict they are.

After all, you don't see people flipping their lid because the Transformer Warpath turns into a tank. Granted there is the whole "Megatrons illegal because he's a gun", but that's more due to gun laws than what people want for their kids. Otherwise we wouldn't see NERF guns on the shelves.

Just because it happens doesn't mean it would be within LEGO's brand values to endorse or encourage it.

LEGO doesn't have any policies against tanks or guns in their sets, so long as they're not ones that could be confused with real, modern military equipment. There have been multiple tanks in themes like Exo-Force, Ninjago, Star Wars, Galaxy Squad, and Legends of Chima — but always with exaggerated fantasy or sci-fi designs. LEGO's anti-military policy is a whole other can of worms, but again they have their reasons for it.

• Upvote 3

Well, anti-real world military. We've seen space marines, fantasy armies, etc. etc. It's only military from 1900s-THE FUTURE OF GENERIC SCI-FI!!!! that they're concerned about. Everything after that is alright, and before is on a base-by-base casis.

Err... a case-by-case basis. 

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Irrelevant. I play games like Fallout: NV and Skyrim all the time, but I can't legally buy them from a store. Lego has a brand image to maintain and can't encourage kids to buy something that they're not supposed to.

Ya becasue a brand that wants to maintain a "kid friendly" image should sell themes that promote piracy, robbing, killing, war, assassinations, etc. Lego can be such a hypocrite sometimes. War? No! Space war/ninjas/pirates? Sure!

None of them "promote" piracy (sea or internet,) killing others (why do you think the Toa have a strict no-killing policy,) ninjas were actually known for their lack of violence, preferring to avoid it if at all possible and in their "war" stories, it's always fantasy where no one is ever killed or space where the enemies are either robots or mindless drones.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

None of them "promote" piracy (sea or internet,) killing others (why do you think the Toa have a strict no-killing policy,) ninjas were actually known for their lack of violence, preferring to avoid it if at all possible and in their "war" stories, it's always fantasy where no one is ever killed or space where the enemies are either robots or mindless drones.

Ok ok, whatever you say. I'm not a debater anymore.

Like a lot of other people have said, I'd like to see a bunch of Nintendo franchises, especially Metriod.

I have also always liked the Sony platformers like Ratchet and Sly. I'd think that LittleBigPlanet's hand-crafted aesthetics would transition into pretty cool Lego sets.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

• 2 weeks later...