Phil Lord Responds to LEGO Movie Oscar Snub

The nominees for the Academy Awards, the film industry's most prestigious commendation, were announced today, and surprisingly The LEGO Movie was not up for Best Animated Feature. While this is a disappointment to many LEGO fans, director Phil Lord responded appropriately via Twitter, saying, "Made my own!" Check it out to see just what he means, and then continue lamenting the lack of an Oscar nomination for our favorite awesome movie of 2014. Well played, sir.

View the full article

Well, most of the time those award shows don't appreciate the films I like anyway, but this is the thing that everybody is talking to me about today. (Besides, I'm also a big fan of Dragons II, so I guess now I won't be torn between the two of them.) And Phil Lord's response is epic indeed.

:music:

What in the world else was there to take that category?? (Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm forgetting something obvious though lol.)

Edit: Uh... I mean...

AWESOME! :lookaround:

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I can't say I expected to see The LEGO Movie be nominated, but I'm a bit shocked that Big Hero 6 was. I found it to be the epitome of pointless drivel... the story was pretty bland and predictable, and there wasn't any development for the other characters. But I did like the CGI lighting, and the music was fantastic.

Maybe I would like it more the second time around.

I was already annoyed about the Golden Globes lost but for it to not even be nomtinated for the Oscars is insane. The only other animated movie that held a candle to it IMO would be Big Hero 6 and even then I thought TLM was far superiour in many aspects and a lot more creative. They probably didn't nominate because it's based on a consumer product but that's such a shallow non-reason. Man I'm mad. :(

Also no Jake Gyllenhaal nomination for best actor?! WHHHYYYYY

:'(

photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

The oscars, where Disney wins by default! I swear it's the reason people voted for Frozen, I even saw quotes around the Internet from people in the Academy that didn't even WATCH any of the animated films. These people get passes for cheap/free access to the theater, it's a disgrace that they still don't take animation seriously!

The oscars, where Disney wins by default! I swear it's the reason people voted for Frozen, I even saw quotes around the Internet from people in the Academy that didn't even WATCH any of the animated films. These people get passes for cheap/free access to the theater, it's a disgrace that they still don't take animation seriously!

While it's definitely (and sadly) true that there some in the academy who don't take animation seriously, saying "The oscars, where Disney wins by default!" is just wrong. Aside from their win for Best Animated Short in 2013, Frozen was WDAS's first Oscar win since Tarzan in 2000. They are by no means just voted for by default.

If there's one thing I love about the Acadamy Awards, it's that for better or worse they always manage to surprise you with their decisions. Glad 'Kaguya' and Song of the Sea made the list, though!

• Upvote 1
BZPRPG

While the Lego Movie wasn't my favorite animated year of last year (for me, that was How to Train Your Dragon 2), I'm still very surprised that it didn't even get nominated in this category. At least Phil has his Lego trophy, which I would take over the real thing anyway. :)

Also no Jake Gyllenhaal nomination for best actor?! WHHHYYYYY

Agreed. He was awesome in Nightcrawler. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

You guys honestly think that a bunch of film critics would support a film literally just about a bunch of toys?

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

You guys honestly think that a bunch of film critics would support a film literally just about a bunch of toys?

If I'm not mistaken, AMPAS membership is only offered to persons directly involved in motion picture production, not to critics.

~ BioGio

Edited by BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

*insert Toy Story series here*

Toy Story is different; that's totally original.

One reason for The Lego Movie being overlooked when it came to nominations may have been the fact that it looked like a popular two-hour toy ad (it wasn't, of course).

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

Toy Story is different; that's totally original.

One reason for The Lego Movie being overlooked when it came to nominations may have been the fact that it looked like a popular two-hour toy ad (it wasn't, of course).

How is the Lego Movie not totally original?

And there was no product promotions anywhere in that film. People can use Lego without buying anything - the bricks in the red Lego box downstairs are still just as good for building and creativity as the Bionicle sets I purchased a few weeks ago. That's like saying a movie about characters in an office setting is a two hour ad for office chairs. The story isn't about buying stuff - it's about a cultural experience centered around a reusable building system. 

Of course, in saying that I sound like President Business, which should reinforce how ironic the film was about the whole branding thing. 

How is the Lego Movie not totally original?

When I say "original", I mean it's not based off some toy line or book or game.

Aside from Barbie and Mr. Potato Head, Toy Story had original characters.

Meanwhile, The Lego Movie has the word "Lego" in its title.

The movie may have an original storyline and stuff, but it still only exists strictly because of Legos.

In that case, it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it was about toys, but that all of the toys share the same brand name, therefore it appears to be brand product placement. 

Of course. That's what I've been trying to get at.

I thought so far. But that's not truly at odds with my original post, so I wanted to get at the fact that you were trying to get at that. :P

What I was trying to say was that a film being about toys doesn't necessarily disqualify it from the awards, using Toy Story as an example. Your point, while related, has very little to oppose this assertion, instead explaining why this particular toy movie wasn't nominated while another was. It gives a different reason, and I'm inclined to agree that it is a better one than the one Wazdakka purposed. :)

Edited by fishers64