A bunch of Protector OCs

I bought a couple more Protector sets to built some MOCs. I think for my next project, I'm going to make a bunch of "B-list" Protector characters with unique designs (possibly including unique helmets as well). The goal is to have at least one character per village, though I might make extras if I have ideas for characters/generics. I already have one, so I need five more.

So, without further ado, let's meet the characters:

Baby Fire Villager

f26d9c46-801d-4d1f-a0c6-aefd41831adb_zps

Ah yes, the character I am contractually obligated to make as a Protector MOCist.

Nothing really to say here, just enjoy.

Other pictures:

Front picture, larger

Back

With Dad

With Takanuva

Nyx, Deputy Protector of Earth

9a592487-0025-4cae-8e70-2c351cd218f5_zps

Protectors pass their titles onto their children when they die or retire, but in many cases, said children are deputized at a certain age in order to help out their parents in times of need. Nyx is one of those deputy Protectors, though she mostly spends her time in the Obsidian Mines. Thanks to the ancient Protector rite of "I know a guy", the Protector of Earth was able to get her a job down there keeping the miners safe from the creatures beneath the earth. The gig was a way for Nyx to hone her abilities and build character; As an added bonus, she's also made a few friends among the Miners' Guild.

Nyx is a lot like her father in the sense that she's a rough-and-tumble, outgoing sort with a love for certain drinks (traits that she also shares with her fellow miners). Her hobbies include tinkering with munitions and building slightly dodgy gadgets; when combined with her preferred choice of beverages, these hobbies lead to things like the modified Miner's pack/back-mounted ammo dump that she's taken to wearing lately.

Like all miners, Nyx wears a Mask of Sonar as part of her job. Unlike her fellow miners, hers is a hand-me-down from her family that was crafted by Makuta. Nyx swears to this day that the mask is just as good as its Ekimu-made counterparts, which is part of the reason why she still wears it despite the Mask of Ultimate Power fiasco.

Other Pictures:

Without Pack

Front

Back

Wielding bayonets

Top picture/With pack

Pack back

Drill

Using Drill

It even has a gear function!

Dual Rapid Shooters

Dual Mortars

"NAO IS COWARD KEELINK TIME!"

"Now take that blasted thing off! You look like a walking tank!"

Earth Tribe Miner

42e262fd-fcf2-40c3-b3d4-598860c05222_zps

The six tribes of Okoto each have their own specific trades. The people of Water are fishermen, the Stone Tribesmen are craftsmen, and the Earth Tribe villagers are miners. Distinguished from their fellows by a specialized backpack and heavier armor, these particular villagers can be found deep underground, digging up obsidian and other minerals.

The miners are a tough, rock-headed bunch, known for partying and indulging while off-duty. They tend to charge head-first into danger, which usually gets them into trouble (Especially nowadays with the Skull Spider invasion).

Miners are required to wear Masks of Sonar while on the job (though Masks of Night Vision and similar masks can be used). To aid with vision, their backpacks are equipped with lights, which have the double duty of scaring off the creatures lurking in the underground depths.

More pictures:

Top picture

Front

Back

With backpack

Backpack back

Ready to work

Close-up of visor

"Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work I go..."

Comparison with Nyx

"Just sit tight, Deputy Protector. I can handle this."

"Are you SURE you don't need my help?"

Eckoh

40a412b4-af2e-4a76-83c3-66c98d5a7ce1_zps

Eckoh's a salty old sea diver, eternally curious about what lies below the surface of the Great Ocean, and always on the hunt for the object of the latest rumor the sailors of the village of Water are passing around this week. His is an exciting life filled with adventure and danger...a lot of danger, based on the current state of his body. To say that he's seen better days is incredible understatement.

Since Eckoh explores all of the time and has encountered quite a lot in the briny blue, he has a few tales of his own to tell. When he's not up to diving, he often hangs out at the local tavern, sharing his stories for all who listen. Among his tales, two are the most popular as of late: One tells of the Abyssal Ones, monstrous amalgamations of flesh and steel that lurk within the depths and feast on the souls of sailors unlucky enough to run across them; the other (and far more interesting, at least to the Protector of Water) tells of an underwater shrine, guarded by irate creatures, said to contain a golden Mask of Power within...

More pictures:

Top picture

Front

Back

Walking

Underwater

"Alright, the shrine should be half a mile away. Follow me and don't chase after any strange lights."

Original version:

Top picture-larger

Back

Walking

Swimming

Cane storage

Celeris

656eae23-205b-4686-a0f7-292d8fefa15d_zps

Need a parcel delivered across the frozen wastes of the Region of Ice? Don't mind if it's been jostled "a little" during the trip? If so, Celeris is the villager to call...at least, he was before the Skull Spiders showed up. The oh-so-lucky courier has been graciously volunteered as a forward scout for the Village of Ice, so now his job entails spying on the Skull Spiders, locating people and objects, and generally putting himself in the proverbial line of fire.

Celeris was already a neurotic sort, always making sure to pack some survival gear along side his deliveries. The new job has done nothing to ease his issues; if anything, it's made them worse. He's far more prone to panicking now, which often leads to him making serious mistakes. 

As a courier, Celeris wears a Kanohi Kakama to make deliveries quicker. Like the rest of his courier gear, it's been re-appropriated to keeping him out of the claws of his enemies.

More Pictures:

Main Picture

Front

Back

Skiing

"Perhaps I have something of use in here..."

Ski Jump

"OhdearEkimuOhdearEkimuOhdearEkimuOhdearEkimuOhdearEkimuOhdearEkimuOhDEAREKIMU!"

Elder Najami

348351ce-5352-4260-930a-8e000adb976e_zps

The Elder of the Jungle Tribe is also seen as the most eccentric of the bunch. True, the people of Okoto's jungles are an eccentric people with their high reverence of nature and wide range of superstitions and rituals , but Najami takes it to a whole new level. For example, Jungle villagers like playing harmless pranks on outsiders for fun; Najami, meanwhile, sees such pranks as absolutely vital, as she believes that performing minor annoying/"evil" acts would allow one to avoid becoming "too" perfect and consequently  reincarnating as an utterly evil being in their next life as a form of karmic backlash. Somehow.

Despite her idiosyncrasies, Najami is well respected for the genuine good knowledge she possesses. Even the eccentricities seem to pay off for her at time, such as, say, predicting the exact time that Lewa and the other Toa would arrive(give or take a minute; she accidentally offered the Vuata Maca tree Verdelisk scales instead of Kahu down that day).

Najami's Kanohi, the Calix, strengthens her reflexes and allows her to perform incredible physical feats. When she's feeling particularly mystical (or out of her gourd), she refers to the mask as "The Mask of Fate" since the acrobatic feats it grants her have allowed her to reverse her luck more than a few times.

More Pictures:

Main Picture

Front

Back

Headdress

Battle Stance

Battle Stance 2

Najima Vs. Lewa

Najima Vs. Lewa 2

"Hi-ho, Verdelisk, away!"

Edited by Boxorak the Azure Noob
  • Upvote 3

Statements (Mouseover to view): <1> <2> <3> <4> <5> <6> <7><8> <9>

My MOCs:
Characters- Makuta Dys Makuta Kamazotz Lord Vladek The Helmsmith Protector OCs Skull Whaler Skull Warden

Creatures- Verdelisk Lord of Skull Spiders BBC Contest #69: Kahu Oko Taku

Ooh These are nice thus far, Any chance of seeing a sand/stone villager soon? Maybe name him Doseki.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Nyx is my favourite, with the Midak blasters on her back.

Yeah I would have to agree. Either because of her being black, being purple, or maybe my bias opinion of Earth motif characters due to Onua-Mata being my first Bionicle character and I gravitate to them more than the other villages.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Yeah, Nyx's Midak Blasters look fantastic. Really bulky but at the same time a very impressive aesthetic. The baby Fire villager has some interesting ideas, with the custom elbows and knees. Eckoh though - really interesting look with the prosthetics.

Solid builds. Hope to see more. :)

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

I'm glad other people are making Protector OC's too! I made an Earth Protector OC of my own, but his build is nothing special. I love Nyx's pack, it;s really bulky and cumbersome but it has an answer to any kind of problem, and I really like

Eckoh's leg, it looks super interesting! I also love their backstories, they're really fleshed out, good job!

Dude I am literally just a fart

More soon maybe?

We'll see...

Thank you for all of the comments!

Ooh These are nice thus far, Any chance of seeing a sand/stone villager soon? Maybe name him Doseki.

Perhaps sometime later in the future. :P

Yeah I would have to agree. Either because of her being black, being purple, or maybe my bias opinion of Earth motif characters due to Onua-Mata being my first Bionicle character and I gravitate to them more than the other villages.

Yeah, Nyx's Midak Blasters look fantastic. Really bulky but at the same time a very impressive aesthetic. The baby Fire villager has some interesting ideas, with the custom elbows and knees. Eckoh though - really interesting look with the prosthetics.

Solid builds. Hope to see more. :)

-NotS

I'm glad other people are making Protector OC's too! I made an Earth Protector OC of my own, but his build is nothing special. I love Nyx's pack, it;s really bulky and cumbersome but it has an answer to any kind of problem, and I really like

Eckoh's leg, it looks super interesting! I also love their backstories, they're really fleshed out, good job!

Seems everyone loves Nyx and her giant backpack of doom. Thanks!

Fun fact: Originally, in the little headcanon I had, Nyx would have been the Protector of Earth, with her father Erebus being a new character who I'd make an MOC for. I later decided against it (mostly due to realizing that arbitrarily changing a character's gender for the sake of gender representation was a bad idea), so I switched around the character roles so that Nyx would be the OC.

And speaking of, I might try to make her more bulky sometime in the future, like the PoE himself. Just a heads up.

Are those Midak's loaded?

Yes, they're fully loaded. A proper girl like Nyx wouldn't be caught dead without loaded weapons. :D

On a related note, I've uploaded two more characters. Comment and Critiques are welcome!

Edited by Boxorak the Azure Noob

My MOCs:
Characters- Makuta Dys Makuta Kamazotz Lord Vladek The Helmsmith Protector OCs Skull Whaler Skull Warden

Oh.... I like the Skiing Ice Protector with the cryo-shoulder-cannon. The last picture with the Frost-Vulture is the best... I was going to ask about that large tube on his butt, though I guess it is a pack of sorts.

The Jungle Protector looks cool as well and while I do like the addition of the headdress, I feel it is not really needed. Love the last pic where he is riding the creature...

Onua.png

Oh.... I like the Skiing Ice Protector with the cryo-shoulder-cannon. The last picture with the Frost-Vulture is the best... I was going to ask about that large tube on his butt, though I guess it is a pack of sorts.

The Jungle Protector looks cool as well and while I do like the addition of the headdress, I feel it is not really needed. Love the last pic where he is riding the creature...

Yes, that container Celeris is wearing is indeed a container. I had a bunch of Hero Factory IFB containers in my parts bin, and I wanted to free up some space. It's the same reason I gave the Verdelisk its backpack.

Also, Najami's actually a female. I probably should have mentioned that. :P

My MOCs:

I absolutely love Nyx, Baby Fire-Villager, and Elder Najami. So since I mentioned her first, lets start with Nyx:

First off, great name; I think "Nyx" should be a canonized name. It's not easy to make a pack like that holds so many tools and still keep proper proportions, but you really pulled it off. The drill is my favorite because that is really the piece that sells "rugged miner", not to say that those Midak Sky-blasters don't look awesome (I bought one from Bricklink and I still can't think of an interesting way to use it). Really, it's interesting to see Nyx with and without her pack because both seem to fit perfectly.

Aww... Baby Fire-Villager; how adorable. Personally, I don't think there's any such thing as using too many ball-joints with axle-connectors; they're my favorite. I haven't seen any limbs that look like that, but I suppose the building-system as applies to BIONICLE is pretty new. In other words y'all are pioneers!

I'm actually kind of impressed with Elder Najami, simply because the combination of different colored transparent elements usually drives me nuts because it doesn't look right. However, you managed to pull it off so well that I didn't even notice at first. Now that I have noticed it, it still works, which is really an impressive feat, I just can't put my finger on why it works. The headress is neat too, and the concept is nice, but I'm not sure if it can really pass as a headress. I think it is just attatched just a little too low and is a little too wide, but I understand that head-modification is probably the hardest to acheive. By the way, keep the way your Protector holds her spear in mind for future builds.

Eckoh is an interesting character and the story really lends itself to a new appreciation of the character. The turn-off for me is using yellow with the gold armor. While those turbine-shells did come with the Protector of Water, it may have served better if you used the stud-launchers and maybe a few other pieces as well. Otherwise you chose the perfect helmet, made an incredibly interesting peg-leg, and used some untraditional pieces for the weapon that I would like to see more people use in the future. Overall well thought I'd say.

Celeris has a really nice form and those skis you built are a large improvement over the ones introduced by LEGO over the years. Give yourself a pat on the back for that. Suggestion for the future, try not to combine white and black. There are a few specialized cases where it makes sense but these are not all that common of occurences and tends to distract.

Since we don't know much about the Gen2 story it is nice to see the little bios you included that give us a glimpse into the lives of the villagers which LEGO doesn't seem to find important. I hope more people do that to add some dimension to an otherwise flat world. Still, I'll mention briefly that most people believe right now that Gen2 masks do not have names and lack the powers that appeared in Gen1, but they're your MOCs and there isn't any conclusive evidence for that anyway.

All in all, good show.

I absolutely love Nyx, Baby Fire-Villager, and Elder Najami. So since I mentioned her first, lets start with Nyx:

First off, great name; I think "Nyx" should be a canonized name. It's not easy to make a pack like that holds so many tools and still keep proper proportions, but you really pulled it off. The drill is my favorite because that is really the piece that sells "rugged miner", not to say that those Midak Sky-blasters don't look awesome (I bought one from Bricklink and I still can't think of an interesting way to use it). Really, it's interesting to see Nyx with and without her pack because both seem to fit perfectly.

Wow, it seems I really struck gold with Nyx, haven't I? :P

To be honest, I was expecting Eckoh or Baby Fire Villager to be the big hit; the former due to the unorthodox build, and the latter because everybody loves the Baby Villager. To be fair, I think I get why people like her; We don't really see a lot of purple set characters in Bionicle, plus everybody loves an absurd amount of weaponry.

I've gotta admit, the Midak Skyblasters were more of an afterthought, really; I just slapped them on when I finished up the dual Rapid Shooter. As cool as the Blasters look, they're tricky to integrate into an MOC without it collapsing or the blaster sticking out like a sore thumb.

Aww... Baby Fire-Villager; how adorable. Personally, I don't think there's any such thing as using too many ball-joints with axle-connectors; they're my favorite. I haven't seen any limbs that look like that, but I suppose the building-system as applies to BIONICLE is pretty new. In other words y'all are pioneers!

I actually got the idea for the limbs from Click's Matoran designs. They work pretty well with the blue friction pegs, but I'm worried that the elbow and knee joints will start getting floppy after a while.

I'm actually kind of impressed with Elder Najami, simply because the combination of different colored transparent elements usually drives me nuts because it doesn't look right. However, you managed to pull it off so well that I didn't even notice at first. Now that I have noticed it, it still works, which is really an impressive feat, I just can't put my finger on why it works. The headress is neat too, and the concept is nice, but I'm not sure if it can really pass as a headress. I think it is just attatched just a little too low and is a little too wide, but I understand that head-modification is probably the hardest to acheive. By the way, keep the way your Protector holds her spear in mind for future builds.

The headdress was another "sure, why not" addition. Basically, it was something I could slap together in two minutes that would 1) set her apart from the other Villagers, and 2) not hinder head movement too much. I may tinker with it a little bit in the future once I have the time, but for now, the headdress will stay as it is.

Eckoh is an interesting character and the story really lends itself to a new appreciation of the character. The turn-off for me is using yellow with the gold armor. While those turbine-shells did come with the Protector of Water, it may have served better if you used the stud-launchers and maybe a few other pieces as well. Otherwise you chose the perfect helmet, made an incredibly interesting peg-leg, and used some untraditional pieces for the weapon that I would like to see more people use in the future. Overall well thought I'd say.

I actually tweaked Eckoh's design, and I'll upload the pictures tonight/tomorrow. I will say that the turbines are no longer yellow. =D

Speaking of, Eckoh was originally going to be a more Pirate-esque character with the Protector of Water's mask, which is where the idea for the prosthetics came from. However, I figured Okoto would be more advanced than just shoving a metal hook onto your wrist stump, so I ended up making the cane to replace the traditional hook.

Celeris has a really nice form and those skis you built are a large improvement over the ones introduced by LEGO over the years. Give yourself a pat on the back for that. Suggestion for the future, try not to combine white and black. There are a few specialized cases where it makes sense but these are not all that common of occurences and tends to distract.

Alright, I'll keep that in mine for future MOCs.

Since we don't know much about the Gen2 story it is nice to see the little bios you included that give us a glimpse into the lives of the villagers which LEGO doesn't seem to find important. I hope more people do that to add some dimension to an otherwise flat world. Still, I'll mention briefly that most people believe right now that Gen2 masks do not have names and lack the powers that appeared in Gen1, but they're your MOCs and there isn't any conclusive evidence for that anyway.

Thanks. This was actually my favorite part, writing everybody's biographies. I'm the kind of person that likes writing stories for characters or franchises that have little-to-none. Some may see it as a failing on the creator's part (like with Hero Factory's burnout of a story), I see it as a niche to fill. :P

As for the masks, yeah, I figured the names would be dropped for the reboot. I don't believe that the old Kanohi powers are completely gone, however. After all, the Mask of Creation still exists in this continuity...

My MOCs: