Exo Force Should Come Back!

Banana Gunz

I would absolutely love to see a reboot of Exo-Force, or at least a line revolving around the mecha concept come back. It was totally rad and super cool! I'd especially love to see a strong integration between CCBS/Technic and regular System.

What about you? Do you want to see mecha come back, in the form of Exo Force or other? If so, what aspects would you like to see come back, and what new ones should be added?

• Upvote 9

Yes! I loved Exo-Force, it was a pretty unique line for Lego and I really just adored every set that came out of it, just for the designs. The light-bricks and all the neat little related gimmicks were just really interesting and cool to me and sooo many good parts came out of that line, including the various kinds of minifigs. I just didn't like the way they did joints 'cause it was a bit too finicky for me, but if they updated it into a system-heavy blend with CCBS/Technic, I think it would work a lot better and make for a really interesting building experience. Maybe a short revival of it would be cool, just one or two waves of mechas and villains to really showcase the best they can come up with and make for a really exciting range of play and collecting. 

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Definitely. Even if not an Exo-Force reboot specifically, I definitely want another mecha-based Lego theme. It's been 8 years since Exo-Force ended, but mechs haven't ever gone away. The fact that they keep popping up in all sorts of themes shows that there's a market for it, and I'd love to see a full line of them. Especially now that we have more options for articulation such as the Mixel joints and CCBS it'd be interesting to see what they would do. The only thing I wouldn't want is for it to rely too much on CCBS, but so far that hasn't been a problem in the mechs found in system sets.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Sounds like something I could get behind.  I only got a couple of Exo-Force sets (Fire Vulture, Uplink, and Storm Lasher) but I always thought it was a cool theme.

I especially liked the robots, since they were something completely different than normal minifigures while still managing to be almost as articulate using surprisingly versatile pieces.  Maybe not the body and legs so much, but the arms are still used everywhere.  And the fact that you could give them colored eyes with just an axle.

The mechs and vehicles were also pretty neat.  There was quite a variety in both weaponry and shape, and since they were SYSTEM-based they looks appropriately mech-y.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

I'd love for Exo-Force to come back, especially if it took advantage of the CCBS in combination with its traditional system builds. But I doubt there's any chance of it happening while Ninjago's still going strong. Two Japan-inspired mech- and vehicle-heavy sci-fi/fantasy themes might be one too many.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I love Exo-Force, But let me tell you now, a reboot should be SYSTEM ONLY. CCBS would ruin the original feel that Exo-force had for me.

I still don't understand the big problem with CCBS feet.

I would really love Exo-Force to come back sometime, I have a few sets, but they're all in pieces now. I'd just like to see some mechs that use an equal amount of both Lego and CCBS with maybe a side of technic.

• Upvote 1

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I'm not sure how I feel about CCBS inclusion, either.  It's an awesome and super-versatile constraction system, but a lot of what I liked about Exo-Force was the fact that it was SYSTEM-based.  To me it gave a much more "giant robot" feel.  The click hinges felt like something that would work as a large-scale joint, whereas ball-and-socket doesn't quite seem as right.  A lot of that might just be bias from me seeing constraction as figures for six years before Exo-Force even happened.

IFB was a great Hero Factory wave in terms of sets, but I never saw it the same was as Exo-Force.  It just seemed like more constraction figures.  I feel like Exo-Force integrated its features better, while IFB was pretty surface-level simply by nature of the skeleton system.  With most of the EF mechs being fully brick-built, things like the cockpits especially sat inside their bodies rather than being stuck on the front or top or whatever.

Plus, the light brick thing was pretty cool, though that's nowhere near being restricted to SYSTEM-based sets as a function.  But I do like the way it was implemented with the body lever thing.

(Also, it's a little shocking to realize that I'm talking about a theme that started almost nine years ago, that I was looking forward to while in middle school.)

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

I love Exo-Force, But let me tell you now, a reboot should be SYSTEM ONLY. CCBS would ruin the original feel that Exo-force had for me.

Yeah, no. CCBS wouldn't ruin the feel of Exo-Force any more than the original theme's use of Bionicle parts did. In fact, it'd likely work even better, since CCBS shells have more in common with traditional bricks than Bionicle's parts did.

Mind you, I'm not saying the sets should be like the Hero Factory: Invasion From Below sets and use CCBS as the primary structural elements. But there's nothing wrong with a little here and there. A set like Stealth Hunter would not look considerably worse (or be considerably less complex) with CCBS shells and beams for its upper legs. And a set like Uplink could probably even benefit with short beams like this to add a little more posability in a small space. Speaking of small sets, another innovation that would come in handy for an Exo-Force revival would be the ever-useful Mixels joints.

Heck, maybe we'll even get some new parts for integrating CCBS with System, such as a brick like this but with a "knee joint" like on this part.

Edited by Lyichir

Speaking of CCBS implementation, for a long time now I've wanted Lego to make a CCBS shell with studs on it. 1x2 Hollow studs would allow the shell to keep its compatibility with cladding while allowing it to mix with system parts better, and would allow for some very neat and simple detailing using cheese slopes or vent plates or what have you. If we got a new mecha series and it used CCBS sometimes (which it almost definitely would) a piece like this I think would be incredibly useful. Heck, even without a full theme, I think shells with studs would just be great parts to have. Perhaps that may even begin breaking the divide between the systems (and better some AFOLs' perception of constraction).

Though speaking outside of the hypothetical, I think that in small doses CCBS would be very useful for mecha building. Lyichir's example of the Stealth Hunter is right on point, and I also want to make mention of the Kai Mech, which is a pretty nice little mech that uses CCBS to great effect. As long as it is primarily system, it can work great. (would work better with studded shells, though. god i want those to exist)

• Upvote 2

AXKP5KC.png

I agree. They should stick to the system they used in Knight's Kingdom. Most of the things that Exo-Force did with it's sets wouldn't be present if CCBS or even the Bionicle system was used.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

I agree that the sets should be primarily system, but I also agree with the points made about how constraction would be very useful and good for the sets.

Also, Buttstink's (I ought to come up with a better nick-name for you :P ) idea of shell pieces with studs on them would be amazing. Once Ninjago burns out (which interestingly doesn't seem to be soon) Exo Force seems like a really great idea. I'm just thinking of the awesome mechs and such that can be made using so many cool new pieces!

And the story was also super appealing to me. Robots v.s. humans stories have always appealed a ton to me, so them fighting in mech suits on a mountain split in two was one of the coolest concepts ever made. Lego's storytelling, as seen with Ninjago, has been fine tuned and improved a ton over the years, and I think they can make a lot out of this idea today.

And even if it's not directly Exo Force, a mech theme would be really sweet and I bet some other great story could be made up for it!

CCBS wouldn't ruin the feel of Exo-Force any more than the original theme's use of Bionicle parts did. In fact, it'd likely work even better, since CCBS shells have more in common with traditional bricks than Bionicle's parts did.

The texture of the original Bionicle pieces actually really worked with Exo Force's mecha anime inspiration, especially since it was primarily weapons. Mecha anime has a lot of those really intricate details that Bionicle's specially textured pieces were known for. I'm not saying this in a "CCBS is too simple" way but in a "it's not really the same case at all because the Bionicle weapon pieces used complemented the mecha aesthetic" way. The part about it being mostly limited to weapons is an important distinction to make as well; with the exception of some later, smaller sets, use of Bionicle pieces was mostly limited to weapons or other such details. What people are objecting to is making CCBS a key part of the build when the original was almost always pure System/Technic in its main construction.

I'm not necessarily saying I agree; a standard 5M or 6M beam with a 5M shell positioned like on Gali is an excellent likeness of the upper legs of most Gundams I've seen, so in terms of staying true to a mecha aesthetic, I can definitely see some use for that. At the same time, though, I can understand people wanting Exo Force to stay with the original in terms of providing a primarily-system building experience.

Eh...I'd prefer if they brought back the classic 'click' joints, but obviously a lot more refined. CCBS just seems too organic for Exo Force's style.

Though, it would be still cool if they used those half brick, half CCBS ball joints like they do in some Chima sets.

There's really no need to "bring back" the classic click joints; they're still around, and aren't likely to go anywhere. They serve a slightly different purpose from the ball-cup joints; the click joints hold a pose better. The tradeoff is, of course, slightly limited articulation, but in a model that can't hold itself on friction alone, or needs joints to be able to stay in a specific position, the click joints work excellently.

Are you kidding me? I would be all over an Exo-Force 2.0 from the get-go. I loved Exo-Force way too much. If they have connectors like they did with the Golden City era, a CCBS-system integration could be very well possible. 

3 things LEGO could do to make Exo-Force even better a second time around:

-Give it a Legend of Korra-style TV show

-Keep the comics, push them out every two weeks like back in 06

-Actually have an ending

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Are you kidding me? I would be all over an Exo-Force 2.0 from the get-go. I loved Exo-Force way too much. If they have connectors like they did with the Golden City era, a CCBS-system integration could be very well possible. 

3 things LEGO could do to make Exo-Force even better a second time around:

-Give it a Legend of Korra-style TV show

-Keep the comics, push them out every two weeks like back in 06

-Actually have an ending

-NotS

I completely agree with those three improvements! More media other than the sets would be perfect and make the story so much more prominent. Exo-Force never having a proper ending really upset me when it was discontinued on such a huge cliff hanger.

I'd love to see more light up bricks and such used to make parts of them light up. A lot of the new parts we have like the stud launcher and windscreen used in HF are really good for new, sleeker mechs.

Eh...I'd prefer if they brought back the classic 'click' joints, but obviously a lot more refined. CCBS just seems too organic for Exo Force's style.

Though, it would be still cool if they used those half brick, half CCBS ball joints like they do in some Chima sets.

There's really no need to "bring back" the classic click joints; they're still around, and aren't likely to go anywhere. They serve a slightly different purpose from the ball-cup joints; the click joints hold a pose better. The tradeoff is, of course, slightly limited articulation, but in a model that can't hold itself on friction alone, or needs joints to be able to stay in a specific position, the click joints work excellently.

They're not necessarily ALL still around. In particular, the bricks with a joint on one end and a socket on the other (the ones typically used for limbs in Exo-Force and Knight's Kingdom) have all been absent for several years. 47452 hasn't been in sets for two years, 47454 hasn't been in sets for five years, and 47432 apparently hasn't appeared in almost EIGHT years—in other words, it stopped appearing in sets before the original Exo-Force theme even ended!

I think that the combination of click joints and ball joints used for the legs in the 2008 Exo-Force sets worked better than the click joints on their own—it helped to give most poses for the legs a steady footing on the ground. And with the CCBS introducing the valuable friction extender elements, I don't really see a reason why the CCBS couldn't offer the same benefits.

• Upvote 1

I'd love to see Exo-Force return. I loved that, and Hero Factory's final waved showed that Lego is still more than capable of building cool mechs. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Exo-Force was pretty fun because the sets were breakable.  When you had two mechs duking it out between you and your brother, the pieces would actually fall off until one was little more than the skeleton and the cockpit.  Then you go and retreat and rebuild, and add a bigger gun to your machine.

Anyway, who doesn't love giant mechs?  (Besides the robot in the other mech about to be blown to smithereens)

• Upvote 1

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I owned Hikaru's blue mech with a zamor launcher and those ratcheting fins and the green-haired guy's big red mech with the "gatling gun" and the Kopaka shield piece and the Takanuva staff pieces.

Those were pretty cool, though I think bringing them back with CCBS would be great. I'm think 50% System, 30% Technic and 20% CCBS.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

I owned Hikaru's blue mech with a zamor launcher and those ratcheting fins and the green-haired guy's big red mech with the "gatling gun" and the Kopaka shield piece and the Takanuva staff pieces.

Dude, my bro had the first set and I had the latter! :D Too bad they're in pieces... :(

I would be all over an Exo-Force reboot. It's easily my second favorite theme of all time. I can only imagine what awesome sets could be made with the pieces and ideas of today.

mindeth the cobwebs

Oh, man. I loved Exo-Force as a kid, it was amazing. I was too young to figure out the storyline very well, but it still had a great cast of characters as well as awesome sets. 

I'd love to see Exo-Force return. I loved that, and Hero Factory's final waved showed that Lego is still more than capable of building cool mechs. 

Hopefully we'll see something like that in the future. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

YES. Absolutely. Exo-Force was one of my favorite themes. The sets were fantastic, the minifigures were awesome (if a tad bit cliche), and the comics and story were fun to read and follow. If they brought it back with both system and CCBS integration I would be really happy, but I'd want more system than CCBS.

>tfw you have no idea what to put here

• 3 weeks later...

Id love to see it brought back, considering that the Ninjago mechs seem to have gotten better in decently recently. However, like most people have said, I'd like CCBS to be used as minimally as possible. It just doesn't have that feel that the original theme had

In addition, even if it isn't brought back in name, I'd love to see just a spiritual successor brought in

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

Exo-Force would be a nice theme to reboot, and I think it would be interesting to see the use of System and CCBS parts in the sets. Kai's Fire Mech did this rather well, and I am pretty sure someone mentioned that already in this thread. Playing off of the style used in that set, adding more articulation points, and even rebooting the character designs would guarantee my willingness to pay for at least a few of the sets.

That is, if this were to happen. :/

• Upvote 1

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif