Why wasn't the Avohkii changed/deformed like the Kraahkan was?

Jobber

After Takutanuva was crushed and separated by that giant door, the Kraakan was said to have be smashed slightly (hence the loss of a 'vent' on the 2008 version), and the Avohkii came out unharmed (I assume). What's up with that? Was that just a movie/story plothole? 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

As far as I'm aware the Kraakan was never damaged. Just tossed into the silver sea. As for the vent that is more likly that Icarax wanted to show he was powerful but also that he wasn't Teridax. 

My opinion Kanohi are subtly changed based off the wearer. Like how they showed in the movies. Unique enough for a individual face but still the same enough so you know the mask.

• Upvote 1

Bionicle is amazing.

Legends Never Die!

The "vent" loss had no story significance, it was just a molding change.

Yeah, especially given how characters with different masks on their set versions but the same storyline mask were handwaved with "the mask is made into the shape of another," the vent loss would be trivial enough to not need an explanation. Most people probably didn't notice, anyway.

~B~

I don't remember that ever being said that it was smushed.

When Icarax put it on, he probably shapeshifted once or twice while wearing it, and it was left with that tiny, minor change by the time he got to Karda Nui.

I read it on a Bionicle wiki once upon a time.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I don't remember that ever being said that it was smushed.

When Icarax put it on, he probably shapeshifted once or twice while wearing it, and it was left with that tiny, minor change by the time he got to Karda Nui.

I read it on a Bionicle wiki once upon a time.

And that there was the problem. TBW is not the most reliable source. We don't ever speak of that place. :P

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Masks do not get "smashed a little" and still work as if they were made of soft clay. They're brittle, and a slight crack is enough to make them stop working. That is a false rumor (one I had never heard before incidentally).

Though, if it had been true, one of the masks getting damaged doesn't mean the other absolutely has to. We clearly saw the Avohkii slide out of harm's way in the movie portrayal, which was mostly confirmed canon (except that the door broke into pieces canonically). Whatever happened to the Kraahkan is thus irrelevant; we already know the Avohkii was safe, and we saw why.

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Masks do not get "smashed a little" and still work as if they were made of soft clay. They're brittle, and a slight crack is enough to make them stop working. That is a false rumor (one I had never heard before incidentally).

Though, if it had been true, one of the masks getting damaged doesn't mean the other absolutely has to. We clearly saw the Avohkii slide out of harm's way in the movie portrayal, which was mostly confirmed canon (except that the door broke into pieces canonically). Whatever happened to the Kraahkan is thus irrelevant; we already know the Avohkii was safe, and we saw why.

I thought the book description was considered the official explanation, since nothing else explains how Takanuva was revived by having Vakama recite the Three Virtues.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I thought the book description was considered the official explanation, since nothing else explains how Takanuva was revived by having Vakama recite the Three Virtues.

The book is the one that has the rubble, which is canon. The movie doesn't show that. But the book also has Takanuva not actually dying, which is non-canon. As for not explaining how, that's common in Bionicle, and has been discussed in many past topics, I don't feel like dredging up the old theories again. :P Except to say that the most plausible one is included in my retelling. :)

But no, it wasn't about reciting anything, as far as we know. He was speaking for the sake of those around him hearing him, methinks.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The book is the one that has the rubble, which is canon. The movie doesn't show that. But the book also has Takanuva not actually dying, which is non-canon. As for not explaining how, that's common in Bionicle, and has been discussed in many past topics, I don't feel like dredging up the old theories again. :P Except to say that the most plausible one is included in my retelling. :)

But no, it wasn't about reciting anything, as far as we know. He was speaking for the sake of those around him hearing him, methinks.

Or maybe he likes the sound of his voice, old, wise, and epic. "Listen again, to the BIONICLE!"

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Are you sure that was non-canon? At the last moment, when the strain became too much for Takutanuva, he split into his two component beings, and since Takanuva was smaller, he was able to get out while the door crushed the larger, more bulky form of Teridax.

BS01 has both happenings listed.

Teridax:

As all the Toa Nuva, Turaga, and Matoran hurried in, Takutanuva stopped Hahli and then used a portion of his power to revive Jaller, who had died in the quest for the Toa of Light, from his mask. This weakened Takutanuva, and he was crushed by the gate he was still holding up.

Takanuva survived the encounter, but Teridax remained beneath the door, his armor shattered and his essence left to float. The Matoran took this to believe that Teridax was dead, and returned to Metru Nui.

Takanuva:

Exhausted from bringing Jaller back, the gate then fell and crushed Takutanuva. Takanuva's Avohkii was recovered from the rubble, and taken by the Turaga to the next chamber. There, the mask was used to revive the Toa of Light, who continued on with the rest of the population. Shortly after, Takanuva used his Avohkii to shoot a beam of Light across the Silver Sea to reveal the city of Metru Nui.

Takutanuva:

Takutanuva dropped the gate, crushing and defusing him into Takanuva and Teridax, and killing Takanuva. The gate's weight also caused Takutanuva's mask to split back into the Avohkii and Kraahkan. The Avohkii was used to bring Takanuva back to life, and the Kraahkan was thrown out on the other side of the gate, leaving Teridax with his armor shattered and his Antidermisfloating in Mangaia.

So, both are listed, but one was written by Greg while the other was done by movie-makers who took a bit of artistic liberties besides that one instance. 

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Ah, that answers things. Topic closed. Sorry kiddies, no more answers.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Are you sure that [Takanuva not dying] was non-canon?

Yes. Past topics went through the question and brought out Greg's answer that he did indeed die canonically, as I said. :)

Are you sure that [Takanuva not dying] was non-canon?

Yes. Past topics went through the question and brought out Greg's answer that he did indeed die canonically, as I said. :)

How'd I forget that? Someone better update the Teridax page, then.

Edited by ~T1S~

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I think the Teridax page was intended to be vague (it's a lot easier to say "survived" than "died but was brought back to life immediately after through some heretofore unknown and still as yet unexplained magic"), but could someone point me to an official quote saying the death scene was canon? I've seen it change a few times over the years, and I'd like to have the most definitive one for a citation (yay citations!).
  • Upvote 2