1. The Skull Spiders are part of the natural landscape of Okoto. 

This my be an "argument from ignorance" thing going. But somehow I doubt that the MoUP has the power to give life, only to corrupt life that exists (as witnessed with Makuta). So IMO the spideys would have to exist before the Ekimu incident.

2. If a creature (or perhaps even a villager) dies, it comes back as a Skull Spider. 

This sounds rather weird, but if a few small "Rahi" die and become Skull Spiders every so now and again, they wouldn't amass a huge army of them, presuming that a few of them get destroyed/eaten every so often. But if there was a massive shockwave to kill of a huge number of them at once, then a huge army of them could appear and become a problem. 

3. Larger creatures, upon their death, become the Lord of Skull Spiders and similar villain-type-things. 

Given the normal rate of death, there probably would only be one of them at a time to direct the Spiders and keep them away from the villages. Now there are a bunch of them, and they could be mad at the villagers for causing their death via mask. And they want the masks for themselves to avoid something like that from happening again.  

I'm sure you can find a hole or two in this spiderweb. Go!

• Upvote 2

Nice theory, but where does the Mask fit into this? The Mask of Skull Spiders?

I had once theorized that the spiders existed before and were considered a menace, so Ekimu/Makuta created the MoSS to keep them at bay. After a while, though, the LoSS grew to his size and increased intelligence by some means, and was able to break free of the Mask's power, and took it for himself, using it to command the smaller spiders.

However, I do like the idea of the spiders being born of the dead. Maybe the skulls of the deceased sprout legs and come to life? :P

• Upvote 4

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Here's an idea: Skull spiders are instead discarded masks of the dead that retain some small vestige of their former owner's life force. The LoSS is a natural Rahi, but one that's in the service of Makuta. The Golden Mask of Skull Spiders allows the LoSS to organise the SS into a swarm, whereas before they would've been much like spirits of the wilderness; dangerous, but easily fended off with proper training. The Protectors were appointed to keep the Skull Spiders out of the villages and away from the villagers who were too old, sick or young to defend themselves.

The 2015 'Skulls' are beings corrupted by these 'wraith masks' and armed with inferior elemental masks and superior abilities. They guard Ekimu's Tomb in the Ancient City, preventing him from rising until Makuta is ready for him. Of course, the Masters have been summoned, throwing Makuta's careful plotting off course. They wake Ekimu early, and begin to take the Ancient City back from Makuta's minions.

• Upvote 5

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Here's an idea: Skull spiders are instead discarded masks of the dead that retain some small vestige of their former owner's life force. The LoSS is a natural Rahi, but one that's in the service of Makuta. The Golden Mask of Skull Spiders allows the LoSS to organise the SS into a swarm, whereas before they would've been much like spirits of the wilderness; dangerous, but easily fended off with proper training. The Protectors were appointed to keep the Skull Spiders out of the villages and away from the villagers who were too old, sick or young to defend themselves.

The 2015 'Skulls' are beings corrupted by these 'wraith masks' and armed with inferior elemental masks and superior abilities. They guard Ekimu's Tomb in the Ancient City, preventing him from rising until Makuta is ready for him. Of course, the Masters have been summoned, throwing Makuta's careful plotting off course. They wake Ekimu early, and begin to take the Ancient City back from Makuta's minions.

Good theory, but it still doesn't address the origin or purpose of the MoSS. Are you saying it was one of those discarded masks? How would that work?

I did just have another theory: Makuta. What if he's awake again, and he made the mask for the Lord of Skull Spiders to use? That would fit with your theory, and give an origin for the mask.

Edited by ~T1S~
  • Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I had once theorized that the spiders existed before and were considered a menace, so Ekimu/Makuta created the MoSS to keep them at bay. 

I'm okay with this theory. The implication that LoSS got more powerful...the way I would look at it is that he got more powerful by finding the mask after all the masks were scattered, not by getting powerful enough to overcome Makuta. 

"Ekimu gave me this cool mask to control water!" one water villager said, grinning with confidence. "Isn't he awesome?"

"Yeah." the villager next to him agreed. "But Makuta - he's no good. He made a mask to control Skull Spiders. Surely he can do better than fighting household pests."

• Upvote 1

I had once theorized that the spiders existed before and were considered a menace, so Ekimu/Makuta created the MoSS to keep them at bay. 

I'm okay with this theory. The implication that LoSS got more powerful...the way I would look at it is that he got more powerful by finding the mask after all the masks were scattered, not by getting powerful enough to overcome Makuta. 

"Ekimu gave me this cool mask to control water!" one water villager said, grinning with confidence. "Isn't he awesome?"

"Yeah." the villager next to him agreed. "But Makuta - he's no good. He made a mask to control Skull Spiders. Surely he can do better than fighting household pests."

Not overcome Makuta, just the Mask. Grow to the point where he could drown out its mental influence, and then go after it himself. Once in his possession, he'd use it to direct the attention of his smaller brethren on the villagers.

Also, it seems that only the Protectors have elemental masks. Anything else would just be artistic decoration.

Also, I never said Makuta. Could have been either or both that made the Mask. If Ekimu, then he'd be getting all the praise for driving away those annoying little buggers. 

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Good theory, but it still doesn't address the origin or purpose of the MoSS. Are you saying it was one of those discarded masks? How would that work?

I did just have another theory: Makuta. What if he's awake again, and he made the mask for the Lord of Skull Spiders to use? That would fit with your theory, and give an origin for the mask.

Makuta is confirmed to be waking, so the MoSS could be a manifestation of his Mask of Control. Or Or could've made it when he was awake, as a prototype or experimental version of his later MoUP or his MoC.

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Makuta is confirmed to be waking, so the MoSS could be a manifestation of his Mask of Control. Or Or could've made it when he was awake, as a prototype or experimental version of his later MoUP or his MoC.

Was he? Last I checked, his status was relatively unknown. You know, aside from being comatose.

For a prototype, it has an oddly specific area of control, focusing in on one obnoxious species of creature. Unless you're trying to say that the prototype was meant to see if it could manipulate such a vile force of nature, then that makes sense.

Edited by ~T1S~

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I had once theorized that the spiders existed before and were considered a menace, so Ekimu/Makuta created the MoSS to keep them at bay. After a while, though, the LoSS grew to his size and increased intelligence by some means, and was able to break free of the Mask's power, and took it for himself, using it to command the smaller spiders.

However, I do like the idea of the spiders being born of the dead. Maybe the skulls of the deceased sprout legs and come to life? :P

I like that theory, Im going to fit it into a little story I created

My own hypothesis is that the Skull Spiders and the Summer wave's villains are prototypes of the other lifeforms on Okoto, with bone used in place of whatever substance(s) the Protectors are made up of. The Skull Spiders have a distinctly organic look to them, unlike the decidedly biomechanical feel of the villagers.

I imagine that they are like the 01 Rahi or Bohrok, inherently helpful creatures who are being manipulated by Makuta. The Skull Spiders are being controlled by LoSS, via his golden mask, and the Summer villains seem to have been awakened by the Toa's entrance into the ancient city. It is quite possible that the Great Beings of this story (assuming that they exist) programmed the latter bunch as guardians of the city, in the event that anything went wrong. How are they to know that Ekimu isn't a looter? It's not like he's wearing the Mask of Creation. Besides, something could easily have gone wrong with their programing.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I haven't checked out all the videos yet, so discard this if it contradicts them.

Anyway, I'm guessing that Makuta brought the skull spiders into being out of jealousy that he could not use the Mask of Creation. His attempts at creation, probably via the Mask of Ultimate power, can only really be a mockery of life, thus the skull motif. They are basically life-forms of death as a result of his attempts. Whether he created them or simply twisted other beings into them, I'm not sure. Also, the fact that the Skull Spiders function as mask is probably not a coincidence. Makuta was a mask maker after all.

It's sort of like Morgoth trying to make his own music; Makuta wanted something of his own that was separate from the good, and the results were disastrous.

• Upvote 2

MnRA5kV.png

I like this theory a lot. It's beautiful in it's simplicity - fits well with what information we havr, but doesn't go out of the way to assume any more than what we know. Kudos!

--Ron

• Upvote 2

Skull spiders should definitely be reanimated/zombified versions of something on Okoto, that's too awesome to pass up-- besides, if they're just ordinary wildlife or a pest like, say, the Visorak, that decreases their creepiness/threat levels significantly.  Toa fighting annoying Okoto Rahi swarms <<<<< Toa fighting reanimated army of the undead.

There's also got to be a connection between the skull spiders and the summer wave's skull squad; if the skull spiders were just rahi, where do these guys come from? If they're all spooky zombies, though, we've got ancient undead Okoto-an warriors to take on the toa in the summer!

Or, if Makuta made the skull spiders, I'd imagine he's connected to the skull squad too? But our Okotoan Mask Maker Makuta seems less likely to have a Rahkshi army at his disposal as the old version; they'd have to be post-MoUP bodyguards of some kind.

8NHf8fu.png

Everything is some kind of a plot, man.

Maybe this is why the ground was shaking when Makuta wore his MoUP; he waa calling an army of undead to his side, unintentionally or not. Because most of the creatures weren't fully formed before Ekimu knocked the mask off, they remained spider-like masks, but the Basher, etc all were closest to him and took him away to where he recovered, like the Protectors did for Ekimu.

Edited by Regitnui

I like this theory a lot. It's beautiful in it's simplicity - fits well with what information we havr, but doesn't go out of the way to assume any more than what we know. Kudos!

--Ron

I also like this theory, but if the Skull Spiders were a threat before, then the Toa would have been called down much earlier. If this is indeed the second time that the islanders of Okoto have dealt with this kind of threat, then the islanders wouldn't have needed to recite the Prophecy of Heroes for help - they would know how to deal with them some other way.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

--Ron

I also like this theory, but if the Skull Spiders were a threat before, then the Toa would have been called down much earlier. If this is indeed the second time that the islanders of Okoto have dealt with this kind of threat, then the islanders wouldn't have needed to recite the Prophecy of Heroes for help - they would know how to deal with them some other way.

Well, before, the Mask Makers were around to put an end to it. This time, Ekimu and Makuta are out of the game, meaning there's nothing to stop the spiders this time.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

--Ron

They've got a master now, and none of the villagers actually know how to fight,

--Ron

Well, before, the Mask Makers were around to put an end to it. This time, Ekimu and Makuta are out of the game, meaning there's nothing to stop the spiders this time.
Expanding on The 1st Shadow's original theory, I like to think the SS were more troublesome than anything else, enough to justify making a mask that could control them and keep them at bay, but not enough to be feared like an army, as they are now. So yeah, Ekimu/Makuta make the MoSS, and take care of things, but then the Lord of the SS breaks free, gains power, and takes the mask and amasses an army. And ya know, somewhere in there Ekimu smashes Makuta in The face with a hammer and they both take much needed naps.

Now without either mask maker, or the MoSS to control them, the Skull Spiders run free and start tearing up the island.

--Ron

Edited by Toa Kohron