Prototype? Or final design?

So, we all remember those prototype images of the sets on a decorative shelf that got leaked last summer, yes?

Here's the original image.

Why do I bring this up? Because, in one of the topics in BST, someone mentioned there being a "prototype Mask of Creation" in the upper-right-hand corner of the package. Intrigued, I pulled up an image of it, and took a good look. Realizing it was the same design from the other early image, I decided to check the prototype versions of the Mask of Creation that were featured on the LEGO BIONICLE Facebook page shortly after the line's resurrection was announced.

Interestingly, none of the masks...

moc.jpg

Even remotely resemble this...

maskthing.jpg

(There were others on the FB page, but they all featured overly-ornate head-adornments, whereas this one is plain)

Interesting, yes?

Now, I can understand it being used in something that was nowhere near finalized if it actually is a prototype version of the Mask of Creation. However, 2015 is already under way. Why use that same image on any package if that mask design doesn't exist?

Or, does it?

The team revealed that a Mask of Time will exist in this new wave, but it will be a whole mask this time, rather than just the bottom half of one. This could mean that the Vahi 2.0 will have the same features as the original did, or it could just mean that the new Mask of Time will cover the whole face, while bearing little to no resemblance to its predecessor.

My question is: Could this mask potentially be the Mask of Time? Or perhaps some other mask we've not yet heard of?

Thoughts? Theories? Theatrics?

• Upvote 4

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Given that it's identical to the mask in the prototype image, which was replaced by the current Mask of Creation in all other later material, I can almost guarantee it's only a prototype version of the Mask of Creation.

~B~

So, why use it on the recent Hero Pack? If they have long-since replaced the image with the current design, then why is it there? Why continue to use a prototype image of a mask that will never appear in story or plastic unless it actually has some future purpose? I see no point in that, considering that all the material inside the pack seems incredibly finalized.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Oversight? I think that is much easier to believe than the Hero Pack being the sudden reveal of a future mask. Besides, we've already seen a number of minor oversights, from Onya to the early animation releases, so someone forgetting to edit the prototype mask to the final version sounds very plausible.

~B~

• Upvote 2

Oversight? I think that is much easier to believe than the Hero Pack being the sudden reveal of a future mask. Besides, we've already seen a number of minor oversights, from Onya to the early animation releases, so someone forgetting to edit the prototype mask to the final version sounds very plausible.

~B~

True, but those mistakes happened back in December. This one's happening now. Unless, of course, this pack was designed well before it was even announced. That just makes it seem like something that should have been given out at the Big Reveal instead of the transparent Tahu mask.

• Upvote 2

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

I'm not exactly sure what mask it is, but I do think that it is either an early prototype of the Mask of Creation or Golden Mask of Skull Spiders, maybe even just a random mask that was used as a placeholder, but to me, that is a strange choice. 

I actually really like the design of this mask, but I think it would better suit a 2nd generation Mask of Life than a 2nd generation Mask of Time, if it is indeed the Mask of Time, which I highly doubt it is.

Edited by Rooster Nui
  • Upvote 3

I could see the classic Vahi fitting very well over that mask...

Hadn't thought of that. It'd actually be really cool if the new Vahi could somehow fit onto the new Mask of Time in that way.

The mask is hideous...I think Lego just made a really big mistake with the packaging design. If that's the Vahi, then I'm done with gen 2.

I'm not really a fan of it, either. The fact that they reused it on a product after the release of all the other sets implies that it has some significance, but I have no idea what it might be. :shrugs:

I'm not exactly sure what mask it is, but I do think that it is either an early prototype of the Mask of Creation or Golden Mask of Skull Spiders, maybe even just a random mask that was used as a placeholder, but to me, that is a strange choice. 

I actually really like the design of this mask, but I think it would better suit a 2nd generation Mask of Life than a 2nd generation Mask of Time, if it is indeed the Mask of Time, which I highly doubt it is.

Life does seem more fitting; I just used Time because that one has been confirmed to exist.

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

The mask is hideous...I think Lego just made a really big mistake with the packaging design. If that's the Vahi, then I'm done with gen 2.

Wait, do you by any chance think the (G1) Vahi was any good aesthetically speaking?

I thought that was hideous! & I thought this looked kinda cool & a bit menacing.

I have no great idea what that Mask could be, I can believe it's a prototype but it looks drastically different and more finished than the other prototype/versions of the MoC.

Mask of: Time? Life? Skull Spiders? Ultimate Power? something else...

I sincerely hope it isn't Time or Life, and I kinda want to see it, so I hope it isn't a prototype of the MoC or MoSS.

Hmm...

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Possibly a prototype Tahu mask, facing downwards? I've said this in another topic, but preliminary pics were using the Mask of Life or Mask of Light as a placeholder for the Mask of Creation. I feel like the design just wasn't ready yet, but for this crucial key art (which was probably pitched) they had to have a new looking mask and opted for Tahu's. Something like that. It's a weird one though, looks really humanoid.

As for it being an official mask, chances are super low. And it was just an oversight on LEGO's part that it ended up on the polybag. A lot of older book covers featured prototypes and the Rahaga instructions even had the prototype names - this is nothing new.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

Are we not oging to talk about what looks an awful lot like an actual 2015 Mask Pack?

It's just a promotional polybag recently released in LEGO Stores. It contains posters, a booklet, a Skull Spider and a trans-orange mask of Fire. I guess that it's the closest thing to a Mask Pack though...

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

*GASP* THE CRAZY VAHI THEORIES ARE TRUE!!!

Seeing as that Tahu is wearing his prototype mask on the main header art on the leaked display but not on the near-finalized box which can be seen in the same image, I'm guessing that this odd MoCr was probably replaced much earlier in development with the variations from the Facebook page. They just hadn't decided on which of those to use, and just left the older design on there.

Possibly a prototype Tahu mask, facing downwards? I've said this in another topic, but preliminary pics were using the Mask of Life or Mask of Light as a placeholder for the Mask of Creation. I feel like the design just wasn't ready yet, but for this crucial key art (which was probably pitched) they had to have a new looking mask and opted for Tahu's. Something like that. It's a weird one though, looks really humanoid.

As for it being an official mask, chances are super low. And it was just an oversight on LEGO's part that it ended up on the polybag. A lot of older book covers featured prototypes and the Rahaga instructions even had the prototype names - this is nothing new.

-NotS

Some preliminary images of the individual set boxes (which couldn't be posted here due to confidential stamps) from even earlier in the development than the colored display (the ones with the Mask of Life placeholder) included a preliminary Tahu set. The box art clearly shows that Tahu's golden mask looks nothing like this one. It looked way more like the original Hau. It wouldn't be too far-fetched to think the strange display MoCr was only used there as a placeholder because they were still unsure whether they wanted the finalized MoCr to look like a pipe organ or not. :P After all, Tahu is wearing his prototype mask in the display art but not the box art in the same image. :P

(Fun fact: The Skull Spiders already have their finalized leg parts in the color display, which the individual preliminary box pictures which were leaked later do not have. Most of the individual preliminary box pictures also lack box art. This means that the color & B&W images are from later on in development, which is funny since those were leaked first.)

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Hm... I agree with the idea that it is just the prototype for the Mask of Creation, but the Vahi fitting over it is a plausible idea. The mask is the only one with an open mouth hole, which looks like it could possibly fit the old mask connectors from 2001-03. However, that would involve bringing back the original Vahi mould, and it would only ever fit on that mask for people who are new to the series and don't have any of the pre-CCBS heads

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

While I agree This mask is not the most astatically pleasing I am not prone to rage-quit due to one small addition. yeah so I wont get the mask personally or if I do get a set with it in it, I can always hide it in some dark corner somewhere never to see the light of day again...

To me it doesn't look like a Mask of Time at all, the only thing I can say is that mouth hole would be perfect for connecting the G1 Vahi via stud connection.

Yeah after looking over this mask I could see and would have said the same thing had you not done so before me. While it would seem strange that the Lego Team would release a set with an older mask design not fitting the next gen Bionicle head sculpt. However the mouth hole could be used to attach not only the Vahi, as it is seen in every video to date but maybe every Gen 1 mask?

A side note on the Vahi, did you know that the Matoran head cannot wear the Vahi? Yeah the lower jaw points stick out too far and would need to be shaved off to allow the mask to fit...

Anyway If they wanted to release a similar or even identical looking Mask of time to the Vahi they would need to do a re-sculpt to allow it to attack to the new heads. Or they could release an adaptor mask allowing for the Gen1 Vahi to work. Much like how they may release a piece that can now connect previously unconnectable pieces... Just a thought...

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

While I agree This mask is not the most astatically pleasing I am not prone to rage-quit due to one small addition. yeah so I wont get the mask personally or if I do get a set with it in it, I can always hide it in some dark corner somewhere never to see the light of day again...

To me it doesn't look like a Mask of Time at all, the only thing I can say is that mouth hole would be perfect for connecting the G1 Vahi via stud connection.

Yeah after looking over this mask I could see and would have said the same thing had you not done so before me. While it would seem strange that the Lego Team would release a set with an older mask design not fitting the next gen Bionicle head sculpt. However the mouth hole could be used to attach not only the Vahi, as it is seen in every video to date but maybe every Gen 1 mask?

A side note on the Vahi, did you know that the Matoran head cannot wear the Vahi? Yeah the lower jaw points stick out too far and would need to be shaved off to allow the mask to fit...

Anyway If they wanted to release a similar or even identical looking Mask of time to the Vahi they would need to do a re-sculpt to allow it to attack to the new heads. Or they could release an adaptor mask allowing for the Gen1 Vahi to work. Much like how they may release a piece that can now connect previously unconnectable pieces... Just a thought...

It's not the Vahi, and the classic Vahi isn't being rereleased. There's really no point speculating otherwise.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm not sure I'd rule out a revamp of the classic Vahi being re-released in some form down the line; depending on the significance of those Vahi easter eggs, we could see a similar-looking Mask of Time make an appearance in the story, if only as a precursor to the full-face Mask of Time that I've heard some speculation about.

I mean, I'm still pretty sure this has no connection to that Vahi.  But as for down the line...

8NHf8fu.png

Everything is some kind of a plot, man.

Maybe they'll make a transparent "adapter" like the Mahri visors, that goes on the new heads and has an axle/peg acceptor for old masks. It would have the dual function of making the head look more "timey" and less naked when wearing the Vahi.

• Upvote 2

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

I have mixed feelings about this. One the one hand it seems rather unlikely this is a final design as the image on the Hero Pack is kinda fuzzy rather than clear like the mask of creation. However the fact the it's been hinted that the original vahi is only half a mask and that this mask so happens to have a lovely hole in it's mouth that looks perfect for the vahi to fit. 

If you look very closely at the base of the mask, you can kinda make out a Vahi. So maybe this is the finished mask of time?

Hmmm very interesting and nice observation.

If this is the new mask of time I can live with that ac I think it would look really good with the old one on it. 

-Onvermel- :pakari:

• Upvote 1

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

I think that this mask is probably a golden colored mold of the Mask of Ultimate Power. Or a prototype of said mask anyway. The MoUP is supposed to look menacing so I personally think that's more like what it is. I feel like the the original story would've sent the Toa to get the MoUP first since it's so dangerous, but perhaps they wanted to do the Mask of Creation first? That's my theory. Feel free to agree or disagree.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

The mouth on that mask isn't even circular, so I don't know how people can seriously think the original Vahi could attach there. :P

It may look like there are Vahi-shaped indents in the cheeks, but I think they are coincidental. There would need to be another indent where the nose is for the Vahi to actually fit on.

• Upvote 1
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o: