BBC #69 Entry- Mata Nui

Brikkyy13

So here it is, my entry to the latest contest! I present to you, the Great Spirit himself, MATA NUI!

The gallery is linked below, but I ask that you view the pictures from the bottom up, due to the fact that I screwed up the upload :P

What are your thoughts?

http://imgur.com/a/PKGoP

• Upvote 1

Check out my BBC #69 Entry - Mata Nui!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/17313-bbc-69-entry-mata-nui/

From a technical standpoint, it's pretty good. It's a great reimagining of the gearbox system and it seems to work.

From an aesthetic standpoint... Bleh. The way you did the chest doesn't look right to me and those feet don't work at all with the set.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Well now... I am liking what I am seeing. Even though I am not sure yet how it fits into Gen2 I see plenty of CCBS parts found on Gen2 Bionicle(check), It is of a Gen1 character(check) I say go for the gold... uh.. clear!!

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I really quite like this model. Although I have to say, the face is rather...lacking. I understand what you're going for with the "Mata Nui robot" design, but I think perhaps a Pakari over his face might be a good idea. Just a thought.

From an aesthetic standpoint... Bleh. The way you did the chest doesn't look right to me and those feet don't work at all with the set.

The chest is that bulky for 2 reasons. 1, I wanted to make sure there was room for the Ignika. 2, CCBS builds in general tend to be kinda bulky (especially Onua, I took a lot of inspiration from him). As for the feet, I took a play from Rocka XL and Witch Doctor and made bulky feet. I agree they could have been better but I like them as they are :)

I really quite like this model. Although I have to say, the face is rather...lacking. I understand what you're going for with the "Mata Nui robot" design, but I think perhaps a Pakari over his face might be a good idea. Just a thought.

I want to keep it close to the original GSR design, with the head being an actual head piece without a mask, so there would be no way I would consider adding a mask. (I couldn't add a Pakari if I wanted to, from the new sets I only have the protectors, and I don't think there's a way to get old masks on new heads :P )

It's decent, but it certainly has some issues. To start with, I like the armoring on the upper torso and lower torso, and the arm designs are nice too. The feet designs aren't bad, per say, but I don't think they fit the character, and maybe should've been made smaller. The gear function is nicely integrated into the design, and I see now that you even built your own gearbox, so props there. I can see where you're going with the head, but it just doesn't seem to fit either. I'd imagine either a Metru or Mata head myself, but there's really no head piece that perfectly captures the giant robot's face, so I know that's hard to pull off.

At first I thought the mask in the chest was a function. Honestly, it looks awful, but I figured there was a way where you could launch it out, like what Makuta did with it in the animations. But, um, that does not seem to be the case. The color contrast is far too striking. Maybe the silver Ignika would've worked, but I think you would've been able to pull it off just as well without it at all. (Unless it really can be launched, in that case forget ascetics for the action feature, I say!)

One last nitpick is the abundant use of red. I can understand if you don't have enough of the ball joints or axles and such in black or gray, but still the red stands out unnecessarily here.

It's a decent model, but I think there could definitely be some improvements made to it to make it more like Mata Nui. All the same, I'm sure you did a good job with the pieces you had. Best of luck in the contest.

:music:

Edited by xccj
  • Upvote 1

It's decent, but it certainly has some issues. To start with, I like the armoring on the upper torso and lower torso, and the arm designs are nice too. The feet designs are bad, per say, but I don't think they fit the character, and maybe should've been made smaller. The gear function is nicely integrated into the design, and I see now that you even built your own gearbox, so props there. I can see where you're going with the head, but it just doesn't seem to fit either. I'd imagine either a Metru or Mata head myself, but there's really no head piece that perfectly captures the giant robot's face, so I know that's hard to pull off.At first I thought the mask in the chest was a function. Honestly, it looks awful, but I figured there was a way where you could launch it out, like what Makuta did with it in the animations. But, um, that does not seem to be the case. The color contrast is far too striking. Maybe the silver Ignika would've worked, but I think you would've been able to pull it off just as well without it at all. (Unless it really can be launched, in that case forget ascetics for the action feature, I say!)One last nitpick is the abundant use of red. I can understand if you don't have enough of the ball joints or axles and such in black or gray, but still the red stands out unnecessarily here.It's a decent model, but I think there could definitely be some improvements made to it to make it more like Mata Nui. All the same, I'm sure you did a good job with the pieces you had. Best of luck in the contest. :music:

In all honesty, I completely agree with all your nitpicking (aside from the head, I'm proud of that one). Had I given myself more time I could definitely could have made better feet and integrated a function into the chest (honestly I didn't think of a function, I just thought of putting the mask in there). I know the Ignika severely breaks up the color scheme, but it was either having a little yellow stick out or have the Great Spirit look like he was pregnant (I don't have the silver variant).

Secondly, you are right, I am lacking in black joints, I had to use the red ones because that was all I had.

Finally, remember the contest is a reimagining of G1 characters in CCBS, it's not supposed to be 100% accurate. (this one is directed at everyone, not you in particular. I think people are forgetting the main idea of the contest)

Eh, don't worry about the Ignika breaking up the color-scheme. One of the things about Gen2 is the abundance of color. If you did not have that brightly-colored mask then Mata Nui would not have enough color to be true to the Gen2 build.

I think that the sunken chest looks a little odd, but that has nothing to do with the build; just readjust it a little bit.

All in all, it looks like Mata Nui, which is good. The gear-function was definitely a good idea because that is sort of central to Gen2. Perhaps however you might try to secure the two halves of your custom gearbox together better; they look like the weight of the arms is pulling it apart and I can imagine that alters the function's effectiveness.

Love the idea! Props for trying to create a previously set-less iteration of a character. Capturing the look of the Great Spirit Robot is a huge challenge, and I think you were extremely successful in establishing the character through colour, armour design and function. Some really great, innovative ideas in both the body and feet - I do like the more technic "titan" build, but the integration with CCBS shells is creative and effective. And finally, keeping the Ignika in the chest is a cool concept, though it does make the shape of the torso strange. Cool stuff. :)

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

All in all, it looks like Mata Nui, which is good. The gear-function was definitely a good idea because that is sort of central to Gen2. Perhaps however you might try to secure the two halves of your custom gearbox together better; they look like the weight of the arms is pulling it apart and I can imagine that alters the function's effectiveness.

Oh, I hadn't noticed it looked a little lopsided in the photos. I had just swapped out the axels for ones that would bear the weight better, I didn't realise I hadn't pushed the beam all the way back in. That's gonna cost me points :P

Love the idea! Props for trying to create a previously set-less iteration of a character. Capturing the look of the Great Spirit Robot is a huge challenge, and I think you were extremely successful in establishing the character through colour, armour design and function. Some really great, innovative ideas in both the body and feet - I do like the more technic "titan" build, but the integration with CCBS shells is creative and effective. And finally, keeping the Ignika in the chest is a cool concept, though it does make the shape of the torso strange. Cool stuff. :)

-NotS

Thank you. As for the strange torso shape, I explained earlier that it was done intentionally for a more bulky look. :)