What Characters do You want to see in The Lego Movie 2?

Banana Gunz

You is lego.

Then how did LEGO "give Bionicle the finger?" Again, LEGO did not make TLM.

Seeing bionicle as a mere cameo killed the love I hade for bionicle.

If that's seriously all it took to kill your love for Bionicle, then it's very obvious that you never loved Bionicle very much. If at all.

It did not celebrate legos best brand, bionicle.

It is your personal opinion that Bionicle is LEGO's best theme. Heck, that's my opinion too! The difference between us is that I understand that it is my opinion and as such, not everyone will agree with it, and in fact, most people probably won't. You, on the other hand, seem to believe that your point of view is the only valid one, and that is where we run into problems. You cannot claim that your personal opinions and preferences are facts and still reasonably expect anybody to take you seriously.

TLM was filled with 2d characters and stereotypes, what are you talking about?

1. Not every single character needs to be dynamic for a story to be effective. In fact, it's usually good to have some static characters as your supporting cast, so that the story can focus on the development of the primary characters. In this case, we had a handful of static characters (Batman, Benny, Unikitty, etc.) in support of a handful of dynamic characters (Emmett, Wyldstyle, Lord Business/The Man Upstairs, Bad Cop).

Basically: the presence of static/two-dimensional characters =/= bad story.

2. Archetypes are not necessarily equivalent to stereotypes. It's true that TLM relied heavily on archetypes for its characters, and that is a flaw, but not a fatal flaw. It's still a higher quality of storytelling than Bay's Transformers.

• Upvote 1

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I loved bionicle, but to see a movie ment to celebrate lego show so little love for bionicle was heart breaking.

Perhaps it is you who dosnt love bionicle.

One of my friends agrees whole heartedly with me, shall I quote him?

Edited by ToaSalvus

In this case, we had a handful of static characters (Batman, Benny, Unikitty, etc.) in support of a handful of dynamic characters (Emmett, Wyldstyle, Lord Business/The Man Upstairs, Bad Cop).

I would disagree on some notes here. In particular, Unikitty was a very dynamic character. When we first meet her, she has a habit of stifling any feelings of negativity so they don't ruin her good mood, but over the course of the movie she experiences a lot of "not-happy thoughts" and has a hard time keeping them in check. In the end, when all hope seems lost, she lets go of her happy-go-lucky facade and is finally honest about her feelings, which gives her the drive to help Emmet save the day.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps it is you who dosnt love bionicle.

Nah bruh, my love for Bionicle is powerful enough to endure the agonizing trials of Not Being Constantly Catered To ;)

ooh, noted. I haven't been following that thread myself

In this case, we had a handful of static characters (Batman, Benny, Unikitty, etc.) in support of a handful of dynamic characters (Emmett, Wyldstyle, Lord Business/The Man Upstairs, Bad Cop).

I would disagree on some notes here. In particular, Unikitty was a very dynamic character. When we first meet her, she has a habit of stifling any feelings of negativity so they don't ruin her good mood, but over the course of the movie she experiences a lot of "not-happy thoughts" and has a hard time keeping them in check. In the end, when all hope seems lost, she lets go of her happy-go-lucky facade and is finally honest about her feelings, which gives her the drive to help Emmet save the day.

Ahh, I totally forgot about that! Thanks for the correction :) I should really watch TLM again...

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

I'm simply saying that the movie creators basically gave the finger to bionicle fans.

No that would be if they said Bionicle was not "true LEGO" and that no "True Fan" would spend money on it.

He bionicle fans! Your theme isn't worth scrap! So we arnt even going to name it!

But we will name a bunch of WB properties that have nothing to add to the plot!

Seems like giving the finger to me.

They shower it and Friends on screen, that's more of a nod that a finger.

• Upvote 1

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

A little recognition goes a long way.

A mere cameo is just an insult. :(

I'm a huge Lego Space fan, but OH NO, we didn't get specific classics like Blacktron anywhere more than on a t-shirt in the film, not to mention more obscure characters like Jim Spaceborn and Keko are missing, Lego must hate me and all of the Lego Space fans for this ARGHAGHAHFAHG DOWN WITH LEGO!

Dude, Bionicle is not the sole center of Lego. As great as it was (and I mean it was really great for me), it didn't need to have an integral part in the movie. Bionicle was always somewhat separated from the rest of Lego because of its difference in building style/parts and the fact that it ran on an individual and more elaborate story. If we were to get Bionicle in film, I'd rather it have its own treatment. The Lego Movie was for everyone, and I feel that you're looking at it negatively without an open mind; you don't even seem willing to consider that your opinion is somewhat ignorant and not very thought through to us, and that's a bit upsetting.

The Lego Movie was meant to be a lot of things, but it was about more than just throwing cameos in, it was its own story about imagination and the fact that Bionicle got a cameo was beautiful to me when I saw it. Just because it wasn't in there a lot, doesn't mean Lego doesn't respect it. It seems like Lego respected it enough to bring it back.

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 5

If we really want to talk about a line that save LEGO lets go with, Star Wars. How many other lines can get away with remaking a set every few years? Add to that Harry Potter, and any other licensed theme that has a strong fan base out side of LEGO. Those lines will keep LEGO going when Bionicle, Ninjago and Friends fail. 

Now look at what TLM did with those lines in the movie, Gandalf and Dumbledoor are a joke, Superman beaten by ABC gum, Han, Chewbacca and Lando killed after one scene.

Edited by Smitty
  • Upvote 2

You are their rock.

If we really want to talk about a line that save LEGO lets go with, Star Wars. How many other lines can get away with remaking a set every few years? Add to that Harry Potter, and any other licensed theme that has a strong fan base out side of LEGO. Those lines will keep LEGO going when Bionicle, Ninjago and Friends fail. 

Now look at what TLM did with those lines in the movie, Gandalf and Dumbledoor are a joke, Superman beaten by ABC gum, Han, Chewbacca and Lando killed after one scene.

Technically speaking, Star Wars, Super Heroes (well, technically just Spider-Man), and Harry Potter were the REASON Bionicle is considered to have saved Lego. Those themes were pretty much all that were keeping Lego afloat in the early 2000s—until 2003, when all three of those licenses went without a movie to keep them relevant, and as a result, sales for those three themes plummeted. If that sharp decline hadn't coincided with Bionicle's absolute peak popularity and sales, Lego may well have had to declare bankruptcy.

Yet looking at the exact scenario above also shows how much of that accomplishment was a matter of chance. If that crisis had occurred instead in one of Bionicle's weaker, later years, Bionicle probably might not have been successful enough to offset that overall decline—but a theme like the ever-popular Lego City (which debuted in 2005) may well have been able to. Bionicle only "saved" Lego because in a year when Lego had hardly any success, Bionicle was experiencing the highest demand of its entire run. And while it kept them afloat in that difficult time, Lego's eventual turnaround had more to do with an overall restructuring of the company (including creating other non-licensed success stories) than with Bionicle's success, which experienced a gradual decline after that year.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

...Lego's eventual turnaround had more to do with an overall restructuring of the company (including creating other non-licensed success stories...

I think Ninjago could fit in that category, and TLM made a joke out of that too.

You are their rock.

I'm a huge Lego Space fan, but OH NO, we didn't get specific classics like Blacktron anywhere more than on a t-shirt in the film, not to mention more obscure characters like Jim Spaceborn and Keko are missing, Lego must hate me and all of the Lego Space fans for this ARGHAGHAHFAHG DOWN WITH LEGO!

Dude, Bionicle is not the sole center of Lego. As great as it was (and I mean it was really great for me), it didn't need to have an integral part in the movie. Bionicle was always somewhat separated from the rest of Lego because of its difference in building style/parts and the fact that it ran on an individual and more elaborate story. If we were to get Bionicle in film, I'd rather it have its own treatment. The Lego Movie was for everyone, and I feel that you're looking at it negatively without an open mind; you don't even seem willing to consider that your opinion is somewhat ignorant and not very thought through to us, and that's a bit upsetting.

The Lego Movie was meant to be a lot of things, but it was about more than just throwing cameos in, it was its own story about imagination and the fact that Bionicle got a cameo was beautiful to me when I saw it. Just because it wasn't in there a lot, doesn't mean Lego doesn't respect it. It seems like Lego respected it enough to bring it back.

Ah, but they didn't bring it back, they made hero factory and slapped the bionicle name on it.

Ah, but they didn't bring it back, they made hero factory and slapped the bionicle name on it.

Ah, but they did bring it back, with the obvious choice of the CCBS, which had been designed to improve upon and succeed the previous system. The new Bionicle has characters based on the original, a story based on the original, and even a selection of parts designed to evoke the original theme's look. To insist that Lego didn't bring back Bionicle (despite making a huge announcement that they were in fact bringing back Bionicle, and releasing a large range of brand-new Bionicle sets) requires an impressive level of willful ignorance and denial.

It's like Lego has done time and again with many of its themes. This year, for instance, they brought back the Pirates theme. But just because the new Pirates sets include parts that came didn't exist back in 1993 when the theme first originated doesn't mean that Lego made Ninjago/City/whatever the specific parts originated in and slapped the Pirates name on it. The theme obviously still features pirate characters along with pirate-related subjects like ships and buried treasure, so just because it uses newer parts that weren't available for the original theme doesn't make the two themes fundamentally different.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Bionicle didn't use skeleball, this new "bionicle" is nothing but a smudge on bionicles shining glory.

Like I said, lego hates us bionicle fans.

Nah, LEGO loves BIONICLE fans. That's why instead of giving the new BIONICLE sets a dated, obsolete building system that was retired for a good reason, they used the CCBS, a revolutionary building system that had been created by some of the most talented BIONICLE set designers in the business (like Christoffer Raundahl, the guy who designed the original Tahu and Kopaka sets).

The only reason the old BIONICLE sets didn't use CCBS is because it didn't exist back then. But BIONICLE designers have NEVER been afraid of borrowing parts from older themes when they're the best ones for the job. Look at the 2001 Rahi — each of those used barely any new parts, instead using mostly Technic parts from previous series. Even the original Toa sets were heavily based on the Slizer/Throwbots sets that came before them, up to and including the basic joint pieces they used for their hips, shoulders, and some of their arms. If a system as versatile as CCBS had existed prior to 2001, BIONICLE sets would have used it from the beginning.

As it is, the designers weren't lucky enough to get a system like that handed to them on a silver platter. It took years of evolution for constraction building to become what it is today. It would have been foolish to step backwards and undo the results of that progress.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 6

Bionicle didn't use skeleball, this new "bionicle" is nothing but a smudge on bionicles shining glory.

Ole Kirk Christiansen's painted wooden duck was not made of plastic bricks. The new "LEGO" is nothing but a smudge on real LEGO's former glory. Because it's not a painted wooden duck.

do you really not see how ridiculous you are sounding

• Upvote 6

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

Like I said, lego hates us bionicle fans.

A "true fan" at his/ her finest, I am sickened.

• Upvote 1

You are their rock.

hey-guys-whats-going-on-in-he-thumb.jpg

Really though, Salvus, you need to calm down man. I took a look at your profile, and your interests reads:

My likes:

Halo

>>>Bionicle (that's why I'm here!)

Animals

Transformers

Star Wars

If you're here for the theme, then at least show ALL of its iterations at least a little respect. I'm sure many of us here aren't particularly fond of some of the set designs or story arcs of some years. For example, I think my least favorite year was 2006, but I don't bash it because I still respect the introduction of the Inika build and fact that the Zamor launchers are wicked cool. I think you're overreacting just a little bit.

EDIT: It's obvious that G1 is your favorite of the two generations. That's fine. It's mine too. One of your reasons for disliking G2 is your disapproval of the CCBS build. I'd lust like to point out that the appearance and function of the basic CCBS body thing (what is that called anyway?) is VERY similar to the Inika build. The gear boxes are an homage to G1. So are the six Toa/Masters. What I'm getting at is G2 isn't that dissimilar from G1. You're treating G2 like it's an abomination that is in no way associated with the original line. 

Edited by Toa Vanson
  • Upvote 4

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Saying that over and over won't make it true, you know, no matter how many times you repeat yourself. Furthermore, if we take your your reasoning to its logical conclusion, g1 Bionicle isn't Bionicle -- it's Slizers with the "Bionicle" name slapped on.

Repeating your mantras to the point of dogmatism won't get you anywhere. Try actually applying some thought for a change.

• Upvote 4

bohrok_lol.jpg
Rate The Song Above You

^ g2 isn't bionicle, it's hero factory with the bionicle name slapped on.

I was just trying to be a cool guy and respect your opinion, but you're frankly being just too stubborn to reason with. If you're not gonna be reasonable, then at the very least, be respectful.

• Upvote 3

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

Saying that over and over won't make it true, you know, no matter how many times you repeat yourself. Furthermore, if we take your your reasoning to its logical conclusion, g1 Bionicle isn't Bionicle -- it's Slizers with the "Bionicle" name slapped on.

Repeating your mantras to the point of dogmatism won't get you anywhere. Try actually applying some thought for a change.

Hero Factory isn't Hero Factor it's just Bionicle with the "Hero Factory" name slapped on it.

• Upvote 1

You are their rock.

Zack would be a cool character if he was a mad scientist or something. Like if he had a giant archive with every Lego set ever.

"I'm Zack. The Lego Maniac."

Edited by Toa Vanson

Toa Salvus, you need to calm down. LEGO does not hate Bionicle fans. They are a company that needs to do what makes the most business sense, and that does not mean catering exclusively to small groups all the time.

Do not tell people they are not 'true Bionicle fans,' you have been warned in the past about your insulting behavior and if it continues further administrative action will be taken.

• Upvote 9

...How old would Zack be by now? In his 30s at least.. hmmm...

Yeah Zack and are should be about the same age. Mata-Uni I'm old.

You are their rock.

OH! I had an idea! You know who would be fun to see in the Lego Movie 2? Flappy! From the Lego Club show!

He certainly wouldn't look out of place in Cloud Cuckoo Land...

• Upvote 2

OH! I had an idea! You know who would be fun to see in the Lego Movie 2? Flappy! From the Lego Club show!

I don't think there is a Cloud Cuckoo Land any more.

You are their rock.

I don't think there is a Cloud Cuckoo Land any more.

A headcanon Lyi and I have had for a while is that now that President Business has seen the light and learned to accept other people's creations, Emmet can put his construction team to work rebuilding Cloud Cuckoo Land even wilder and wackier than before! Who knows if the writers will take things in that direction, but it would sure be a cool way to show how things have changed for the better!

• Upvote 2

Maybe instead of this "Flappy" guy they could have Max from "The Adventures of Max" that's on the Lego/Lego Club website.

Max would certainly be easier, seeing as Flappy is HUGE...

• Upvote 1

Maybe instead of this "Flappy" guy they could have Max from "The Adventures of Max" that's on the Lego/Lego Club website.

Am I missing something? Who's Flappy?

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Am I missing something? Who's Flappy?

He's a talking, brick-built mailbox who runs the "Cool Creations" segment on LEGO Club TV (

).
  • Upvote 1