BBC #69: Jaller Inika Rebuilt

tomdroidser

BBC #69: Jaller Inika Rebuilt

MOC Upgrade from 2006 to 2015

inika2015_000.jpg

Front|Left|Back|Right

Six cannisters floating torwards Voya Nui contain six Matoran.

Each patiently waiting for their destination.

However, from above, lightining from a mysterious Red Star strikes them.

When they emerge, the will be known as the Toa Inika.

Nine years later, at least one of them receives a makeover: Jaller Inika!

Comparison Pictures:

Tahu 2015|Matoro Inika|Axonn|Onua 2015|Axalara T9

Fun Pictures:

The Knighting of Jaller|Victory!|I'm on a Stuffed Animal|Meditation

Thoughts, comments, polite remarks, and equally polite comments are appreciated.

-Tomdroidser

• Upvote 2

Featuring: Arkham Firefly/The LEGO Movie Quiz

Now Entering: The Rise of DarkSaber
Two personal thanks to Black Six for Proto Boost.
(Expired) Topics: HF MOC BBC #69 Entry: Jaller Inika Rebuilt 

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

Nice! I love the mixture of the dark and bright red, as well as the gold. The combination makes it look like he is made of fire himself! One thing I might recommend is some of the trans-orange armour pieces, since his original counterpart had the trans-orange limbs. Other than that it looks pretty cool

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

The armor close to the hand is the trans-orange you mentioned, but it doesn't stand out for some reason I don't remember.

-Tomdroidser

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

I don't particularly like this model. The fact that all of the Dark Red parts are classic BIONICLE parts is sort of holding it back from truly looking like a modern-day character. As it is, it almost feels like everything from the neck up and the knees down belongs to an entirely different character than the torso, upper legs, and arms. The cover for the Zamor magazine feels a bit over-the-top. I do like some of the techniques here, but overall they just don't blend together into one cohesive whole.

• Upvote 1

The armor close to the hand is the trans-orange you mentioned, but it doesn't stand out for some reason I don't remember.

-Tomdroidser

Hm... Perhaps the lighting of the photo is what makes it not stand out? That or the bright red armour piece on top might make it look like it is blending in. To make it stand out more in the photos I'd recommend (if you have time) a small light box, or other contraption. Even if you just put some white paper into a cardboard box and shine a light over the top that may help, or possibly even just an artificial light source (sunlight is great for plants, but not the best for taking indoor photos :P) hope this helps!

Good luck in the competition!

BZPRPG:

Akamu, Toa of Ice :smilekohrak: :smilenuju: :smilekopakanu: :smilematoro: :akakunu: :kohrak: :matatu: :akaku: Talk to me about Destiny!

Ask me about stuttering and speech impediments!//Feel free to talk about Dungeons and Dragons with me!

So bored, so I think I'll reply to the following.

I don't particularly like this model. The fact that all of the Dark Red parts are classic BIONICLE parts is sort of holding it back from truly looking like a modern-day character. As it is, it almost feels like everything from the neck up and the knees down belongs to an entirely different character than the torso, upper legs, and arms. The cover for the Zamor magazine feels a bit over-the-top. I do like some of the techniques here, but overall they just don't blend together into one cohesive whole.

My intent was on honoring the old set while using newer parts. I find it ironic that, while you think the knees down look like a different character, they are actually almost the same lower legs as the original Jaller Inika. Same goes for the head. Can't have Inika without the wierd head and mask.

-Tomdroidser

Hm... Perhaps the lighting of the photo is what makes it not stand out? That or the bright red armour piece on top might make it look like it is blending in. To make it stand out more in the photos I'd recommend (if you have time) a small light box, or other contraption. Even if you just put some white paper into a cardboard box and shine a light over the top that may help, or possibly even just an artificial light source (sunlight is great for plants, but not the best for taking indoor photos :P) hope this helps!

Good luck in the competition!

I'll try to get a picture... maybe.

-Tomdroidser

I think the use of dark red as well as normal (?) red looks kinda bad, But I suppose dark red ccbs is in short supply (or maybe it isn't, I haven't been following Lego sets recently), and you really couldn't get a Mata red Calix.

As for the Mag top on the launcher. It think it could work if you swap the extra chamber thing to a different color. Maybe change the stuffies on it a little.

keetongorange-bionicle-logo-small.png

My intent was on honoring the old set while using newer parts. I find it ironic that, while you think the knees down look like a different character, they are actually almost the same lower legs as the original Jaller Inika. Same goes for the head. Can't have Inika without the wierd head and mask.

I do recognize that the lower legs and feet are borrowed directly from Toa Inika Jaller. But that's what bothers me. You have completely re-imagined the colors and design of the arms and torso, but left the lower legs and feet more or less unchanged. The "new section" and the "old section" do not feel like they belong together on the same figure. I think the model could have done with smoother transitions between the old and the new. Perhaps if you had designed the new sections of the figure to use more Dark Red instead of so much Bright Red, they wouldn't clash so much with the old sections. Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

Appreciate feedback. Let's look at the latest comments and critisism.

I think the use of dark red as well as normal (?) red looks kinda bad, But I suppose dark red ccbs is in short supply (or maybe it isn't, I haven't been following Lego sets recently), and you really couldn't get a Mata red Calix.

As for the Mag top on the launcher. It think it could work if you swap the extra chamber thing to a different color. Maybe change the stuffies on it a little.

The sword and Zamor launcher are accesssories. I don't expect people to judge based on the weapons they are armed with, although they probably will.

I do recognize that the lower legs and feet are borrowed directly from Toa Inika Jaller. But that's what bothers me. You have completely re-imagined the colors and design of the arms and torso, but left the lower legs and feet more or less unchanged. The "new section" and the "old section" do not feel like they belong together on the same figure. I think the model could have done with smoother transitions between the old and the new. Perhaps if you had designed the new sections of the figure to use more Dark Red instead of so much Bright Red, they wouldn't clash so much with the old sections.

It goes to show that you can't have everything you want and please everyone. I'll take your suggestions and incoperate it into a V2 model designed after the contest.

-Tomdroidser

Hmmm, interesting attempt at an Inika in CCBS. It kind of bugs me that the torso and forearms are really bright red-heavy and the usage of dark red in just the mask and legs+feet throw off the scheme immensely. Some cool stuff going on though - love the use of Iron Man Ultra-build pieces and the Zamor launcher cover is awesome.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Hmmm, interesting attempt at an Inika in CCBS. It kind of bugs me that the torso and forearms are really bright red-heavy and the usage of dark red in just the mask and legs+feet throw off the scheme immensely. Some cool stuff going on though - love the use of Iron Man Ultra-build pieces and the Zamor launcher cover is awesome.

-NotS

Did some research and, apparently, there aren't much dark red pieces for the CCBS. I added the Iron Man chest to give him a "heartlight." Nothing I could do about the mask, but in V2 I'll alter him based on comments from this topic. As a side note, the Zamor launcer cover is actually a small bird MOC that I just made for fun. I only put it there so the Zamor spheres don't escape.

-Tomdroidser