Humanized Takua (and other Matoran if I feel like it)

Petewa

I made this using the "Paintbrush" whatchamadilit for Mac (because the Mac was free) And I have a webcomic on another site, and humanized Matoran are about to come into it so decided to draw one or two, starting with Takua, because Pakari translate better into human form,

27507270d1427686409-another-gerthian-art

EDIT: Jalla

27507276d1427691234-another-gerthian-art

EDIT: That one part in MoL when the Avohkii is found,

27507323d1427717963-another-gerthian-art

EDIT: Hahli, with green cuz nostalgia:

27507368d1427732676-another-gerthian-art

She also has diving goggles and breath mask thingy,

EDIT: Hewkii,

27512313d1429555751-another-gerthian-art

Edited by D5 Petewa
  • Upvote 1

I don't know... They look human enough, though the markings on their face that represent their mask seem a bid odd to me. Like I know they are there as a call back to their actual forms but if that is all you are going on for their homage...

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I don't know... They look human enough, though the markings on their face that represent their mask seem a bid odd to me. Like I know they are there as a call back to their actual forms but if that is all you are going on for their homage...

The stuff around their necks also look a lot more like their masks when moved to their faces, also, red torso+yellow Hau+Yellow hands+Yellow legs=Jalla so the colour scheme is also a sucky callback...I made these at midnight in order to keep my brother awake as was his will,

EDIT: And the eyes are the same color as on BS01

Edited by D5 Petewa

yeah... the extra pictures that show legs and alike were not posted yet. Though using their bandanas to represent their masks is a nice touch. I mean as humans they would not need to wear masks to survive. So having them as an addition that can be placed is an excellent idea. Still a bit off put by the idea of the markings on their face matching their masks. Still feels forced.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

yeah... the extra pictures that show legs and alike were not posted yet. Though using their bandanas to represent their masks is a nice touch. I mean as humans they would not need to wear masks to survive. So having them as an addition that can be placed is an excellent idea. Still a bit off put by the idea of the markings on their face matching their masks. Still feels forced.

Okay, I see where you're going at and I won't argue with it,

EDIT: Face markings was just something I saw online with humanized Toa and I liked it, so I tried using that, too late to change it now,

Edited by D5 Petewa

I'm not going to critique your actual drawings, but I do think your character designs could be improved.

The outfits of these characters are very bland and generic, and they look nearly identical. Variety is essential among a large cast so that individual characters can stand out in a crowd.

I'm not sure if your human versions are meant to live in the present day, but the island of Mata Nui is tribal as well as pre-industrial. Your characters are wearing clothes that are way too modern if they're supposed to be from Mata Nui.

When designing an outfit for a Matoran it's important to keep their element in mind, as well as the character's personality and profession.

Because Ga-Matoran live near the ocean, they would probably wear something that resembles a swimsuit, and may use shells or pearls as jewelry.

Takua is the Chronicler who travels around the island, so he might wear a traveling cloak as well as a messenger bag.

Jaller is the captain of Ta-Koro's guard, so he would probably wear some kind of armor. Things like that.

Try researching what people wear in various climates if you need inspiration.

• Upvote 2

I'm not going to critique your actual drawings, but I do think your character designs could be improved.

The outfits of these characters are very bland and generic, and they look nearly identical. Variety is essential among a large cast so that individual characters can stand out in a crowd.

I'm not sure if your human versions are meant to live in the present day, but the island of Mata Nui is tribal as well as pre-industrial. Your characters are wearing clothes that are way too modern if they're supposed to be from Mata Nui.

When designing an outfit for a Matoran it's important to keep their element in mind, as well as the character's personality and profession.

Because Ga-Matoran live near the ocean, they would probably wear something that resembles a swimsuit, and may use shells or pearls as jewelry.

Takua is the Chronicler who travels around the island, so he might wear a traveling cloak as well as a messenger bag.

Jaller is the captain of Ta-Koro's guard, so he would probably wear some kind of armor. Things like that.

Try researching what people wear in various climates if you need inspiration.

Yeah, I just needed generic designs that I could quickly draw for a webcomic,

I really agree with SailorQuaoar, it is important to take the characters' personalities into account when coming up with a clothing design. A good design already tells your readers something about the character long before they say or do anything.

'though especially for webcomics, you need a recogniseable design rather than just a generic one. Using a heavily abstracted style with few details is a good thing if done right, yet IMO quite hard to master. Still, a few lines could turn a simple t-shirt into something more interesting. And since I can always explain things better with drawings than with words, have a little sketch based on your Takua:

takuaexplanationsketch.jpg

I moved the goggles up to his head, which makes them easier distinguishable from the bandana - he could also use them to keep his hair out of his face now. Since he's more of the adventurous type and a traveller, the t-shirt was exchanged for a shirt with rolled-up sleeves, implying that he could roll them down for slightly cooler temperatures. I also added a simple vest, where on the pocket one could pick up the pattern from the face to use them as design elements. And there's the arm warmer.

Additionally, I hinted at a 'T' in matoran written on his shirt. Logos can also be a help with identifying characters and tell something about them.

I admit that this is still fairly generic, but it gives some more info about the character with only a few lines more.

Practise and patience are the key. Creating visually interesting characters (that you still love to draw even after hundreds of panels) is a hard, and time-consuming process. But it is totally worth it. :)

• Upvote 2

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

I really agree with SailorQuaoar, it is important to take the characters' personalities into account when coming up with a clothing design. A good design already tells your readers something about the character long before they say or do anything.

'though especially for webcomics, you need a recogniseable design rather than just a generic one. Using a heavily abstracted style with few details is a good thing if done right, yet IMO quite hard to master. Still, a few lines could turn a simple t-shirt into something more interesting. And since I can always explain things better with drawings than with words, have a little sketch based on your Takua:

takuaexplanationsketch.jpg

I moved the goggles up to his head, which makes them easier distinguishable from the bandana - he could also use them to keep his hair out of his face now. Since he's more of the adventurous type and a traveller, the t-shirt was exchanged for a shirt with rolled-up sleeves, implying that he could roll them down for slightly cooler temperatures. I also added a simple vest, where on the pocket one could pick up the pattern from the face to use them as design elements. And there's the arm warmer.

Additionally, I hinted at a 'T' in matoran written on his shirt. Logos can also be a help with identifying characters and tell something about them.

I admit that this is still fairly generic, but it gives some more info about the character with only a few lines more.

Practise and patience are the key. Creating visually interesting characters (that you still love to draw even after hundreds of panels) is a hard, and time-consuming process. But it is totally worth it. :)

I'm just supposed to update the comic daily and I have to use the computer stuff so I've gotta go with my simplistic style over my detailed one, though I could just blame the more generic outfits on being Kohlii uniforms or something, and try to give them better designs, I'm gonna work on that,

So what do the letters stand for on that Building back there?

Onua.png

I like your designs and concepts c: I think they are cute, and you have a nice general look for Takua, Jaller and Hahli. 

I'm not going to nitpick your designs, because that isn't my place to do so, but I can give you advice from the comic front. Speaking as someone who makes a comic based on the Bionicle series, I can understand making things "simple". My comic and human designs utilize both human designs with a flare of mechanical look.

Yeah, your designs are simple. But hey, in my comic, mine are simplified versions of what they could be. There is nothing wrong with having simple designs in order to make a comic that updates weekly (for me, personally), in order to have pages pumped out as you need. When I first got started, one of the pieces of advice I got from an experienced comic artist was to pick designs that weren't too complicated to draw week by week.

But you know - what makes a character stand out is how you approach the character and their design. Many human Tahu's are typically drawn with red-spiky hair, muscular, and some sort of grumpy face. But how are you going to make that different? Different from the rest, that is.

Your OC designs are awesome - they stand out, they are each individual from one another. They have a really good idea behind them!

Take it from me, personally. Having a simple design is okay. You can still have a simple design that stands outs - simple does not mean generic. But I would rather have the designs be simple than a generic design to be drawn quickly for a comic that is posted weekly.

• Upvote 2

I am mostly a lurker, I rarely comment on things. I draw mostly human Bionicles, and my head is stuck in G1.

|| dA || tumblr  || Bionicle Manga Tumblr || Bionicle Manga Smackjeeves ||

I like your designs and concepts c: I think they are cute, and you have a nice general look for Takua, Jaller and Hahli. 

I'm not going to nitpick your designs, because that isn't my place to do so, but I can give you advice from the comic front. Speaking as someone who makes a comic based on the Bionicle series, I can understand making things "simple". My comic and human designs utilize both human designs with a flare of mechanical look.

Yeah, your designs are simple. But hey, in my comic, mine are simplified versions of what they could be. There is nothing wrong with having simple designs in order to make a comic that updates weekly (for me, personally), in order to have pages pumped out as you need. When I first got started, one of the pieces of advice I got from an experienced comic artist was to pick designs that weren't too complicated to draw week by week.

But you know - what makes a character stand out is how you approach the character and their design. Many human Tahu's are typically drawn with red-spiky hair, muscular, and some sort of grumpy face. But how are you going to make that different? Different from the rest, that is.

Your OC designs are awesome - they stand out, they are each individual from one another. They have a really good idea behind them!

Take it from me, personally. Having a simple design is okay. You can still have a simple design that stands outs - simple does not mean generic. But I would rather have the designs be simple than a generic design to be drawn quickly for a comic that is posted weekly.

Thanks, I've started working on Kopaka and Pohatu and definitely have a design for Takanuva, might as well try the other Toa while I'm at it.

EDIT: Might as well show the Takanuva update,

27508110d1428026539-not-sure-whether-qua

Edited by D5 Petewa

27510606d1428929138-another-gerthian-art

Lewa. Decided to try and give him a design fitting of both the elements of air and jungle, went with the design of an old minecraft skin I made a while ago, had laying around.

EDIT: The minecraft skin had one of the darkest skin colors of the team, whoops, my mistake.

27510843d1429011856-another-gerthian-art

Edited by D5 Petewa

Not bad for Lewa. That Takua comic was kind of funny. I see you went with his G1 self as referenced with the single axe?

Onua.png

For the Takua comic - that's a neat idea that he can switch back to his original colors. Where does his hair go, though?

Also, a bit of critiquing on just anatomy - arms don't jut that far out from the body. Its nice to see that you are giving a nod to the actual set design, but I would bring in the shoulders a little bit so that you close that gap between arms. I mean, I do that all the time in my drawings ^^U 

Oooh I really like your Lewa design! I like the accent of yellow - its not something you generally see on the humanized drawings of him :) I think you have a nice balance of all the colors, and they all compliment one another. Also digging the darker hair. (is he referencing G1 and G2? Or just one of the two generations? Just curious). Lastly... Why not expand with different skin tones as well rather than all the characters sharing the same shade of peach? They do live in a tropical area after all - but that's just my two cents.

I am mostly a lurker, I rarely comment on things. I draw mostly human Bionicles, and my head is stuck in G1.

|| dA || tumblr  || Bionicle Manga Tumblr || Bionicle Manga Smackjeeves ||

For the Takua comic - that's a neat idea that he can switch back to his original colors. Where does his hair go, though?

Also, a bit of critiquing on just anatomy - arms don't jut that far out from the body. Its nice to see that you are giving a nod to the actual set design, but I would bring in the shoulders a little bit so that you close that gap between arms. I mean, I do that all the time in my drawings ^^U 

Oooh I really like your Lewa design! I like the accent of yellow - its not something you generally see on the humanized drawings of him :) I think you have a nice balance of all the colors, and they all compliment one another. Also digging the darker hair. (is he referencing G1 and G2? Or just one of the two generations? Just curious). Lastly... Why not expand with different skin tones as well rather than all the characters sharing the same shade of peach? They do live in a tropical area after all - but that's just my two cents.

I don't know, the hair didn't look too good with the Avohkii,

The shoulder thing is accidental, it's just a habit of mine.

Yeah, I really was supposed to make Lewa with darker skin, don't know why I didn't, might edit the picture later today. And yes, he's referencing both G1 and G2,

Not bad for Lewa. That Takua comic was kind of funny. I see you went with his G1 self as referenced with the single axe?

Actually, I went with G2 as well, usin' the yellow.

I drew the Kanohi next to some redesigned human equivalents, giving each more purpose than aesthetic value, though I left the Pakari and Kaukau alone because I felt they already worked fairly well.

27512303d1429539005-another-gerthian-art

The Kakama has intakes on the side meant to take particles (e.g. ash, minerals, etcetera) and separate them from the oxygen. It also has a bandana-based pair of goggles which keeps the same pollutants out of the rest of the face.

The Akaku has a hood and a bandana, the inside of each of which is lined with fur, there is an eyescope attached to the outside of the hood to allow for long range sight within snow.

The Pakari has a simple bandana and mining goggles, meant only to assist with sight underground and to keep minerals from getting into face.

The Kaukau has a pair of diving goggles, which allegedly assist in underwater sight, and an oxygen intake, which separates the hydrogen in the water from the oxygen, and disposes of the hydrogen as waste.

The Hau has a light hood meant to minimize extra heat while still protecting the head from flame and attack, the illusion of a spoiler is created by the end of the hood being only slightly above the top of the goggles, which were made to similarly protect the eyes from the harsh, volcanic ash. As well as a mouthpiece with a similar system to those found in the Kakama.

The Miru is a one-piece design, with cheek plating attached at the back of the head, and then going up to cover the forehead, where it has attached glass, the purpose of this rudimentary plating is to protect from the force of flying at high speeds, and to keep insects from entering into the eyes.