Arkov: Electric Rogue

dviddy

arkov00.jpg

arkov01.jpg_thumb.jpg | arkov02.jpg_thumb.jpg

Hi guys. Long time no post, for reasons I'm not sure of? I mean, I've built a lot of MOCs the past six months!

I've really been playing with character design and the CCBS system. This MOC is a tribute to our very own Kakaru, who goes by Arkov on most other LEGO sites (specifically Flickr). That name just seems to flow better for the vaguely steampunk, swashbuckling motif going on here. Speaking of which, what I really wanted to do here was create a MOC that represented a more fantasy/swashbuckling style than the usual "character in body armour" look we all tend to gravitate towards. I think I succeeded! His weapon is an electric baton, powered by some sort of battery on his back.

Anyway, off to post another MOC topic!

• Upvote 6

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Haha, this totally works for him! :P The goggles are great, and the feather up there is a nice touch. Everything flows well, and the colors are great. I'm a little uncertain about the dark-orange shells on the upper arms, since that's the only place that color appears, far as I can tell. Besides that, I love it!

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I see your five months between MOC posts and raise you to five years.  :P

When I see those legs, "swashbuckling" is an apt term; they really make me think of the poofy pants you see on a lot of pirate costumes. I think you made a good point about the "character in body armor" route we tend to go towards; I actually initially viewed the build that way and it felt a bit off, but untying that mental link between CCBS and metal armor actually makes it work well, even down to the torso and arms. The cape suits that rather well.

That said, the cape really feels odd - probably because of how it's lit and then photoshopped onto this background; I think the fabric just doesn't carry over the way the plastic does, as some of the light still passes through it. Not much you could do about that, really, other than have it on a lighter background... but that might wash out the white pieces too much. Hm.

Seriously, though, those feet seem like they're a pair of boots. I'm not sure I quite follow what was going on with the feather/wing piece, but the goggles are hilariously awesome.

I've been out of the building world for a while, so I gotta ask - those wrists, how well do they hold position on their own? I wasn't aware those ball joints actually had a proper socket (granted 98% of everything I ever build was Technic, with a dash of CCBS now). I'm still trying to find a hand design I'm content with.

Nice work, DeeVee!

~Tesser

• Upvote 1

banner.jpg

Haha, this totally works for him! :P The goggles are great, and the feather up there is a nice touch. Everything flows well, and the colors are great. I'm a little uncertain about the dark-orange shells on the upper arms, since that's the only place that color appears, far as I can tell. Besides that, I love it!

Think of the colours more like you would see on a costume in a movie, or a video game, or something like that, versus the way the community has usually done colours (primary plus secondary plus tertiary (usually black or a "highlight" colour). It's more akin to a character study or sketch design you'd see on a storyboard for a game or a film.

I see your five months between MOC posts and raise you to five years.  :P

When I see those legs, "swashbuckling" is an apt term; they really make me think of the poofy pants you see on a lot of pirate costumes. I think you made a good point about the "character in body armor" route we tend to go towards; I actually initially viewed the build that way and it felt a bit off, but untying that mental link between CCBS and metal armor actually makes it work well, even down to the torso and arms. The cape suits that rather well.

That said, the cape really feels odd - probably because of how it's lit and then photoshopped onto this background; I think the fabric just doesn't carry over the way the plastic does, as some of the light still passes through it. Not much you could do about that, really, other than have it on a lighter background... but that might wash out the white pieces too much. Hm.

Seriously, though, those feet seem like they're a pair of boots. I'm not sure I quite follow what was going on with the feather/wing piece, but the goggles are hilariously awesome.

I've been out of the building world for a while, so I gotta ask - those wrists, how well do they hold position on their own? I wasn't aware those ball joints actually had a proper socket (granted 98% of everything I ever build was Technic, with a dash of CCBS now). I'm still trying to find a hand design I'm content with.

Nice work, DeeVee!

~Tesser

Well hey there buddy. Where you been??? Can you believe how long it's been since what felt like our heyday? Yet here we still are. Crazy, isn't it?

The cape does look weird in the photos, and it's also because the photos look weird. You saw the photo of Lily, which is more like my usual current photo editing standards. But I also usually have a professional studio and lighting setup, and right now I've just got some stuff I rigged together to make due with. We just moved to SoCal and my photo equipment stuff is still in storage. Soon! I didn't plan a cape for the MOC... ever? Then it was sitting in front of me and I put it there and I sat back and went "woah". It was exactly the thing I needed to push the MOC over the edge, you know? It just completed the entire thing.

The feather/wing piece is just a little piece of flair. Something silly and sort of iconic at the same time. It reminds me a lot of the plume on swashbuckling headwear, and while he doesn't have a hat, he does have a mask and goggles!

Honestly the MOC looks sort of empty without it. It's sort of character-defining at this point for me.

The wrists hold exceptionally well. The sockets come with several sets now, but were mostly released in the Mixels line (concurrent with their release with the Chima legend beast sets) a year or so back. They are perfect. They hold every weapon I've built for them without slipping. For 90% of my builds now this is my go-to hand. Four fingers still isn't five, but it's more realistic than three, and looks superior to the molded fist I still hate.

I love the way the armor pieces are layered. Just, like... how did you get it to look so perfect?

Humility.

• Upvote 2

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Wow, I'm sitting here looking at my updated Protector of Ice mod, and I'm honestly embarrassed to post photos of it now. This Moc has so much character to it. It isn't just pieces slapped together for the cool factor. Much thought was put into it. 

COMING SOON, UPDATED PROTECTOR OF ICE

Protectors of Generations Past!

ICE, FIRE, WATER - http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/18021-mod-protectors-of-fire-ice-and-water/

EARTH                   -  http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/18035-mod-protectors-of-generations-past-earth/

group%20circle%20protector.png

DeeVee, I still must know your secret for taking such brilliant pictures. :begging:Anyway, onto the Moc!

While I think the nixel heads seem to throw off the model a little, this is a wondrous piece of plastic. The best part was all the accents and tiny details that usually can't fit on a CCBS model. Like, the gold bucket handles on the feet, the key on the right arm, and the claws around the neck. Really brings the Moc back together.

So, wonderful job as usual!