BIONICLESector01 member Du7734 recently made a series of edits on BS01 stating that Spherus Magna and the Matoran Universe have 36 hours in a day. I remember when the BIONICLE Story Squad considered bringing this fan theory to Greg, but I don't remember if it was ever canonized.

If anyone (ie. fishers64) remembers when or if this idea was canonized, and can provide a source, then I'll let Du7734's edits stand. If not, they will have to be reversed.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Well a Sundial records 12 hours or half our day, right? So would that mean that maybe perhaps that the Matoran Sundial is also equal to a day? How many Hours did Greg say were on said sundial?

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Well a Sundial records 12 hours or half our day, right? So would that mean that maybe perhaps that the Matoran Sundial is also equal to a day? How many Hours did Greg say were on said sundial?

Oh, yeah. Good point. I suppose it makes sense that way. If the Sundial's got 18 hours, and that's half a day, then logically, we have to conclude that a day is 36 hours.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

If I remember right, the 36 hours-thingy was canonized via the BIONICLE Story Squad. The original announcement topic was on the old BZP forum, so I guess the original source can't be linked, but there's that bonesiii post referencing it. I guess old Squad members will remember it, too.

Edited by maxim21

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

-- Greg Farshtey

Date: Jun 30 2008, 04:14 PM

4. In this image: http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/1/13/Sundial_Markings.png The sundial has 18 markings around it, instead of 12. Does this mean that there is 18 hours or 36 hours in a Matoran day?

4) No it doesn't mean that. We have never established a distinct system of time for the Matoran

I could have sworn it was canonized, though. I thought it was a BSS canonization IIRC. 

I knew there was something off about the time in Bionicle. Does this mean that the inspiration for the time-model came from Spherus Magna?

• Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I recall it not being canonized, but I'll check the old BSS discussions... (I had assumed it was something Greg canonized just recently; lego.com is being iffy for me, so I can't check the LMB)

Edit: It's in the BSS "Approved" section, for what it's worth. Obviously the topic it links to is long dead, but it appears it passed the board, as it were.

Edited by Dorek
  • Upvote 1

I've been refraining from commenting on this when it's brought up for a while, because I remember it being suggested, but not what the outcome was. Good to see the answer.

I knew there was something off about the time in Bionicle. Does this mean that the inspiration for the time-model came from Spherus Magna?

Say what? What model are you referring to?

This proposal only talks about cultural dividing up of a day into units of time they made up. (Which are "translated" as "hours".) It said nothing else, and basically affected nothing else, which was probably why we allowed it. :) (We don't know how long the days were, or didn't at one time anyways, but the years are confirmed to be Earth years. There may be less days per year, or (IMO more likely) the days are like ours, just clocks were designed differently is all, which makes sense.)

Your last sentence might be asking if it means the GBs (and therefore the Agori probably) were the ones that used this, rather than it being an MU-only thing. I think the answer to that is yes, based on the wording of the quote in my old linked post (and that they were the ones that made the Great Sundial).

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

EDIT: I am a dummy and need to read the whole topic before I speak.

ignore this post, sorry

Edited by 2Tie

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

*jumps in with a potentially stupid answer* we can ask Greg...?

Maybe if we can find enough information from timepieces and references to time pieces in Bionicle (i'm thinking there was more than the sundial, though not sure), we can infer this one.

• Upvote 1

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

@SailorQuaoar : Basically... Me for instance = P

If we begin to act with this type of reasoning, a lot of elements on Biosector01 should be deleted.

@JMSOG : I think if we question Greg about that, we won't have more than an indistinct answer or a simple "Unknow".

But anyway, the situation seem to be clear since Dorek confirmed that it was approved.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the only reference to time in BIONICLE Universe is the Great Sundial.

• Upvote 1

Something pertaining to this question was pivotal to a project of mine, and by asking our fellow scholar fishers64, she mathematically came up with their being 244 days in a year for Spherus Magna (I rounded up). Here is an excerpt from the personal message to show her work:

If you want a SM year that is the exact same length (in time) as ours, the math is easy - 365.25 days x 24 hours = 8766 hours in a year. Divide that by 36 and you get 243.5 days in a year.

I hope that helped some folks who are interested.

Edited by Iaredios
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

When I first saw this 36 hour theory, I assumed that Spherus Magna days were the same length as Earth days but that Spherus Magna hours were shorter than Earth hours.

Something pertaining to this question was pivotal to a project of mine, and by asking our fellow scholar fishers64, she mathematically came up with their being 244 days in a year for Spherus Magna (I rounded up). Here is an excerpt from the personal message to show her work:

If you want a SM year that is the exact same length (in time) as ours, the math is easy - 365.25 days x 24 hours = 8766 hours in a year. Divide that by 36 and you get 243.5 days in a year.

Changing the length of the hour instead of the day would make this type of thing unnecessary. 

When I first saw this 36 hour theory, I assumed that Spherus Magna days were the same length as Earth days but that Spherus Magna hours were shorter than Earth hours.

Changing the length of the hour instead of the day would make this type of thing unnecessary. 

Please, don't hit the messenger! :(   I'm just sharing an answer I received from elsewhere...

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Please, don't hit the messenger! :(   I'm just sharing an answer I received from elsewhere...

I realize that; I was just using your post as an example.

I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was attacking you.

I realize that; I was just using your post as an example.

I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was attacking you.

No hit...

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

36 hours relative to human hours? This seems like an oddly specific designation to something that serves next-to-no purpose in the actual story.

-NotS

Neither would kio/bio/whatever, their weird and oddly determined metric of length, but that was still one of the very first factoids we ever got from the BIONICLE story, so this by comparison isn't terribly weird.
  • Upvote 5

True. But granted, the kio/bio measurement was included as part of a map which had features similar to other cartographic designs. From a promotional standpoint, adding Kio/Bio was a fun way of showing the Bionicle measurement system is not the same as ours.

The day thing just kind of comes out of nowhere. 

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg