LEGO CCBS Star Wars: Obi-Wan and General Grievous

tn_15_04_15_star-wars-ccbs-grievous-obiw

Two new LEGO Star Wars CCBS figures have been announced: Obi-Wan Kenobi with 83 pieces and General Grievous with 186 pieces. LEGO has come a long way from the days of Ben 10 and Super Heroes Ultrabuilds and I must admit I'm quite impressed. CCBS with its occasionally bony look is perfect for Grievous and even Obi-Wan has been pulled off greatly, better than Luke Skywalker in my opinion. This is a bold move by LEGO and with Star Wars VII coming out later this year and with the huge popularity of LEGO Star Wars, I can definitely see these becoming a success. I look forward to seeing the last yet unannounced figures, Jango Fett and Commander Cody!

View the full article

• Upvote 5

Grievous looks really epic! Though, those shoulders look a little weird...Obi-Wan Kenobi looks better than I could've hoped! Dem new shoulder pads doe.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

General Grievous looks great--well, as great as he could be for a CCBS LEGO set. Quite a different direction from his first big iteration, and mostly for the better. I'm fairly tempted to get him, though I'd also be tempted to utilize him for pieces! All that tan, and the head especially--wow!

There are a few good pieces in Obi-Wan too, though there's less wow-factor with him.

-CF

• Upvote 1

nexo_shields_9.jpg

Copied and pasted from this topic:

I think Grievous's chest could stand to be a little bit beefier, since it's basically the most heavily armored part of his body in the films, but he's got a very creative build for sure. I'm glad his arms can join together, though I can't tell how much doing so limits his articulation. All those Brick Yellow (Tan) elements in both sets are excellent, as are many of Obi-Wan's White elements. Obi-Wan also has a great head sculpt (although I don't mind Luke's either, unlike a lot of people). Overall, this product range continues to impress!

Grievous is a mess but I really want the pieces.

Ben looks really good, though it looks like he has a white Bionicle Skeleton Warrior chest piece on his back which is unique to this set as far as I know and completely obscured by cape.

It's a good piece! Just an odd choice on Lego's part.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

Does anyone else think that Grievous looks like one of the 2015 Toa? I don't know why, but when I look at him, I can kind of see a tan Tahu or Kopaka with Grievous's head instead of a Toa head. Maybe its just me....

But that doesn't mean that I don't think that the set is cool. I really like how it looks and will probably be picking it up once it hits store shelves. 

Obi-Wan looks good too, though he doesn't impress me as much as Grievous or Vader. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

The thing that kills me the most about these sets, though, are the prices. Assuming they're all released around the same time, I'll be spending major bank on all of these.

Edited by Anonymous User
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Man, they look very EPIC! I love General Grievous' build. It looks very amazing! Plus, he has one of the Bionicle 2015's Skull Villains' rib armor piece, which is black. Man, he is made of many pieces. Plus, the CCBS works very well with his arm-dividing function.:)

I love Obi-Wan's build, too. It looks very cool.:) It reminds me of Obi-Wan's outfit in a TV show, Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Plus, I love the new tan and white colors on these sets' pieces. They look very great on them.:)

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Kinda kills me that for a constraction line that will probably last only 1-2 years at most, they made new shells specifically for it while Bionicle got kind of screwed over and only received two new shell ADD-ONS (both of these recieved new weapons and head molds, of which Bionicle's is technically universal within the line when it comes to new sets while each head mold for Star Wars is only usable by one set. In addition the Star Wars constraction sets also have new shell add ons). It would have been nice if the budget used for those gold masks had instead been used for some new Bionicle styled shells that could be used throughout the whole series in new and different ways.

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 2

There's some cool and new pieces between these two, plus all that lovely tan. Overall, Grievous looks a little scattered, but Obi-Wan is alright. In theory, I would get these for the pieces instead of the overall fig, but the prices make that unlikely.

On one hand, I'm disappointed that we're going to be seeing Jango Fett instead of Boba. (I mean, the latter would probably come with sand green CCBS pieces... how cool will that be!) The actual one will probably just have blue pieces, but maybe sand blue or dark blue will spice him up. But again, these would be way too pricey for parts pack; currently the only one I'd want for display is Vader. But hey, maybe we'll see some of these colors reappear in future Bionicle sets?[/optimism]

:music:

• Upvote 1

Is that tan on Obi-Wan, or dark tan? It's somewhat difficult to tell. Either way I've got to get my hands on both sets. Those CCBS parts...

There was also much rejoicing at Obi-Wan's cape existing. Also, isn't that the first non-black cape in years?

~B~

Edited by Ballom

Kinda kills me that for a constraction line that will probably last only 1-2 years at most, they made new shells specifically for it while Bionicle got kind of screwed over and only received two new shell ADD-ONS (both of these recieved new weapons and head molds, of which Bionicle's is technically universal within the line when it comes to new sets while each head mold for Star Wars is only usable by one set. In addition the Star Wars constraction sets also have new shell add ons). It would have been nice if the budget used for those gold masks had instead been used for some new Bionicle styled shells that could be used throughout the whole series in new and different ways.

Whaaaat? That's stupid. In fact, that's not JUST stupid—it's whiny, irritating, and entitled.

Firstly, I don't know where you're getting "will probably last only 1–2 years" from. Lego Star Wars has been one of Lego's biggest themes since its debut. Lego Star Wars sells, and given the high quality of these sets I'd be surprised if they didn't find a reliable audience.

Secondly, what makes you think the new shells this theme offers will remain exclusive to these sets? Every new shell and shell detail in these sets, with the possible exception of the new torso shell, is fairly generic in design—smooth, simple, and easily adaptable to other themes. A big reason for the new shells in this theme is to represent things that look less like robotic armor and more like human clothing, while Bionicle already had a full range of robotic-looking shells from Hero Factory that worked perfectly well for it. And the new shells and shell add ons are so generic, there's nothing stopping them from appearing in future Bionicle sets as well, alongside more traditional shells.

Thirdly, as far as weapons are concerned, Bionicle has far more unique new weapons than this theme, which uses exactly two new molds for weapons in all the sets we've seen so far (both for the lightsabers).

Fourth, as far as head molds are concerned, it's a matter of NEED. Like the Chima constraction sets before them, it'd be practically impossible to represent Star Wars characters in Constraction without specially-molded heads. Besides, Bionicle uses far more unique molds for its characters' heads—a new head, a new eyepiece, and ELEVEN new masks for this year alone!

Fifth, the budget for the gold masks most likely has NOTHING to do with the budget for the sets. That would come from marketing, not production, so if anything, it might have lessened the budget of the webisodes, not the products themselves. Besides that, the gold masks use existing molds, and the material cost only needs to provide enough for one of each, so to suggest that the gold masks cost even a fraction of the theme's budget (or the cost of expensive, precision-engineered molds intended to produce thousands upon thousands of parts) is laughable.

The worst part is your whining here isn't anything new to me—in fact, it strikes me as similar to high-and-mighty AFOLs who view themes like Bionicle itself as a waste of money that could have been better spent on "traditional" themes. Why do they need to put out these kiddy action figures? Why put all that money into masks that will be replaced within a year and are functionally identical, or weapons that don't even resemble anything real?

I'll just leave you to think about what that says about your own perspective on these sets.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 9

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I am absolutely gobsmacked!!! These have been instantly prioritized over the Bionicle summer wave!! I mean, tan HF armor plates? That's worth a lot in my book XD

I am ecstatic about these, and can't wait to lay my hands on Grevious in particular!

:tohu:

• Upvote 1

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

I think Grievous's chest could stand to be a little bit beefier, since it's basically the most heavily armored part of his body in the films, but he's got a very creative build for sure.

The live action character is armored on the chest, sure, but it's really not all that bulky. The animated version is slightly more beefed up, but even then not by that much. I think the problem is more that his secondary arms are attached out away from the body rather than at it, leaving a gappy area. That aside I think it works as a representation of his torso. I can see why others here are critical of the design- the arm connection is a little awkward and the upper legs look too bulky, but I'm loving him overall.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

That cape... It's beautiful. It's practically worth it just to buy the Obi-Wan just to get the cape, but throw in tan... And then there's all the tan on Grevious, too. Wow. It looks like he has a really complex built for his legs, as well - and his arms clip together! :ahhh:

On the one hand, I'm really glad these exist for all the wonderful parts they bring. On the other, I'm cursing Lego for making even more sets that I'm going to have to buy. Ah well...

Edited by Johnrahk

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

Grievous is pretty nice, but slightly messy in some areas (mostly not a fan of those gaps in the shoulders, but overall pretty rad)

Now OBI WAN is just a beauty. From the cape, the excellent head mold, the smooth armor and transitions, wonderful detail and new parts, this is probably my favorite so far. He may stand out a little less since he comes off as plain, but he's so solid it doesn't matter to me. I may actually want to get this one!

There's some cool and new pieces between these two, plus all that lovely tan. Overall, Grievous looks a little scattered, but Obi-Wan is alright. In theory, I would get these for the pieces instead of the overall fig, but the prices make that unlikely.

On one hand, I'm disappointed that we're going to be seeing Jango Fett instead of Boba. (I mean, the latter would probably come with sand green CCBS pieces... how cool will that be!) The actual one will probably just have blue pieces, but maybe sand blue or dark blue will spice him up. But again, these would be way too pricey for parts pack; currently the only one I'd want for display is Vader. But hey, maybe we'll see some of these colors reappear in future Bionicle sets?[/optimism]

:music:

Jango might use Gali's dark azure color so we could get more armor pieces in that color.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Grievous just looks kind of awkward. The shaping isn't that great, and he's really gappy...not really in the good robot-like kind of way? He still looks fine, and the parts are great.

Obi-Wan looks really solid. Good parts in good colors, a cape, solid build...the front of the robes is a tad odd, but overall a solid build.

Doubt I'll get either, though.

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Obi-Wan Kenobi is alright but the technic part on him just kills it and what in the world are they doing with the clone trooper chest armor.

But with General Grievous DEER GOD THAT'S BAD, lego are using a lot of technic pieces on these set like Darth Vader when this guy need a lot of it.

• Upvote 1

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube