If Mistika like Canister come back

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is coming from the heart for making this topic...           the deep, dark and evil part of my heart  :devil:

So I would like to know, would all of you want to see our most "favorite and loved" canister to come back in 2016 and beyond. Because we all know that we "loved" the Mistika Canister, I have also made a poll for those who don't want to make a comment.

Hope to see your react#$%, I mean opinion :innocent:

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

BURN BURN BURN THE CANISTERS (well, not really, that wouldn't be very environmentally friendly, let's recycle them instead.)

While those particular canisters were neat with the duel-Ignika design on the lit, they were a little too bulky, didn't stack super well, and the opening was rather small, making it nearly impossible to place a built character inside, at least from my experience.  Granted, they're a step up from the Mahri or Av-Matoran canister/boxes.  If I had to pick my favorite canister, I'd probably say the Metru, because they were great for storage but also had the useful lids that could be turned into spheres.

:music:

• Upvote 2

I voted "no, never, goodbye". But honestly, the Mistika canister was not awful, as canisters go. It didn't have any special functionality like the mask storage function of the Mata/Nuva canisters, but I thought the Ignika-shaped lid was incredibly stylish, especially how one side was "pure" and the other side was "corrupted". It was also considerably more stackable than the Phantoka, Barraki, or Mahri canisters. Its biggest flaw was that if you had the hero and villain sets stacked, you'd be seeing the front of some of them and the back of others.

The reason I voted like I did is because hard plastic canisters are a thing of the past and I think LEGO has evolved beyond them. They take up a lot of space, are not collapsible, cannot be printed on all surfaces, and only remain stackable if you choose one design and stick with it, not design a new canister every wave as classic BIONICLE sets did.

Canisters were fun when they were around. Now, I've got a big box and a big plastic bag full of them beside my bed and no idea what I'm going to do with them. Sure, they manage to keep the actual sets contained, but they're hardly the most space-efficient way of doing so. If it didn't mean throwing the canisters away completely I'd gladly transfer my sets to Ziploc bags or some other type of storage that is consistent with the size of its contents.

Honestly if there were any older packaging style I'd want back, it'd be the Hero Factory foil pouches, which are every bit as sturdy and reusable as canisters, but also fully collapsible and able to be printed on all surfaces. Unfortunately, I think the LEGO Group has moved past those for environmental reasons, so I imagine BIONICLE sets will continue to use cardboard packaging. Which they've done an OK job with, all things considered — but unfortunately, it's just not as sturdy and harder to collapse and reuse than the foil pouches were.

• Upvote 3

I personally like the boxes much more now that we have them. The canisters, though at times cool, just weren't necessary. The best canisters were the mata ones because they actually had a little story relevance as the pods the toa used to get to Mata-Nui, but other than that, I'm good with using cardboard. Sure they're more durable, but I'd rather Lego not waste materials and money on canisters and rather do good for the environment and use that money for other things.

• Upvote 2

To Cwog: What no, no, I 9001% "love" the mistika canister, they are my most "favorite" out of all the canisters, I mean the Star canisters was the "worse canisters of all times". (seriously, is the last thing I said after making the topic and the last two answer was base on why I made the topic and burn the canister in the lake of fire, not noticeable)

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

Honestly if there were any older packaging style I'd want back, it'd be the Hero Factory foil pouches, which are every bit as sturdy and reusable as canisters, but also fully collapsible and able to be printed on all surfaces. Unfortunately, I think the LEGO Group has moved past those for environmental reasons, so I imagine BIONICLE sets will continue to use cardboard packaging. Which they've done an OK job with, all things considered — but unfortunately, it's just not as sturdy and harder to collapse and reuse than the foil pouches were.

Yes, I loved those pouches. I now really want them back... darn it, Aanchir.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I personally like the boxes much more now that we have them. The canisters, though at times cool, just weren't necessary. The best canisters were the mata ones because they actually had a little story relevance as the pods the toa used to get to Mata-Nui, but other than that, I'm good with using cardboard. Sure they're more durable, but I'd rather Lego not waste materials and money on canisters and rather do good for the environment and use that money for other things.

You mean Metru, not Mata. Otherwise, I totally agree with you.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I believe he meant they came from Metru-Nui in those pods, but appeared in the first wave back in 2001 otherwise known as the Mata-Nui wave.

|

Wow, you guys are really taking this topic seriously...           what happened to all the joking around and fun  :(

Anyways going back to serious mode for a moment, Aanchir have you forgotten about how much of a nightmare it is to open one of those things, I mean it really have gotten one of my friend to stop collecting because it literally ripped out his thumbnail.

Wow, you guys are really taking this topic seriously...           what happened to all the joking around and fun  :(

Anyways going back to serious mode for a moment, Aanchir have you forgotten about how much of a nightmare it is to open one of those things, I mean it really have gotten one of my friend to stop collecting because it literally ripped out his thumbnail.

...you mean he ripped out his thumbnail... on a foil bag...? HOW?! XD

|

I believe he meant they came from Metru-Nui in those pods, but appeared in the first wave back in 2001 otherwise known as the Mata-Nui wave.

No, the canisters were from the Toa Metru, not the Toa Mata.

I was talking about the mistika canister...

Would you like a cup of fail :P

No, the canisters were from the Toa Metru, not the Toa Mata.

Hm, guess my memory is fading on me again! ^_^;

I was talking about the mistika canister...

Would you like a cup of fail :P

Yes, I would, though I don't think I can afford it in this economy though. :P

|

Fishers, the topic is Mistika like canister, as in, they are like the mistika canister but have a different design and still have the nightmare to open thing (also would you like a Cup of Fail :P)

Plus if you still have a Mistika canister around, go get it, and try to open it, you wouldn't being saying neutral after it.

Mistika canister?

eh, i'm neutral on those, they're a funky shape, and did have a tighter lid due to said shape, but they did their job.

on the actual question of them returning. why? the new boxes are fine packaging, and use waaaay less expensive material, so the sets can probably stay cheaper longer. (not to mention less material in general, and a more efficiently recycled one.)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Rahkshi you taking a obviously cake topic seriously, can hardly have fun with the  seriousness around.

Also with the canister did their job, they pretty much took there job too much by making thereselfs so hard to open that there is a chance of you ripping your nail out.

Anyway going back to my joke mode.

Just jake, the mistika canister is the definition of "everything is awesome"...

Allow me to tell you a story.

Once upon a time, my father worked for a bottle sales and supply company. In 2002, one of his customers was making the canisters used for the Toa Nuva, and it was my father's job to purchase the canisters and then sell them in bulk to Lego. My father, as he explains it now, and my mother, who was also in the sales department of the same bottle sales and supply company, always told me that the canisters were some of the most expensive portions of each wave of sets. So it came as no surprise to them when Lego switched to the Teddy-Grahm bags in 2012, as they were cheaper than the comparatively expensive canisters.

This story also plays into how I got my Toa Nuva sets, but that's for another day.

• Upvote 1

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I've never had a particularly hard time opening the foil pouches. All I've ever needed is a pair of scissors, or even something less sharp like a house key. And I still need something like that to unseal the new cardboard packages anyway, since they're taped shut.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, though! That sounds extremely painful!

Personally, I just really prefer the cardboard boxes. Sure, they're easily damaged, but look at the bright side: They take up less space on the store shelves (and they have hook holes that you can pop up), they are very easily recyclable, they're more environmentally friendly, and they can have printing on all eight sides.

How about "I don't know, neutral?"

I mean, they look cool, but they don't seem to fit the 2015 vibe. Maybe with the Mask of Creation instead of the Ignika? :shrugs:

Maybe have the crown-type part of the mask as the cap, but on the bottom, like a Barraki can, and then have the cylinder come up?  I'd go for that.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I've never had a particularly hard time opening the foil pouches. All I've ever needed is a pair of scissors, or even something less sharp like a house key. And I still need something like that to unseal the new cardboard packages anyway, since they're taped shut.

Ummm...  Aanchir, I just told a guy that I was talking about the mistika canister...

Ummm...  Aanchir, I just told a guy that I was talking about the mistika canister...

Oh, sorry, I must have missed that. In that case, yeah, I can see how they were harder to open than a lot of the other canisters. I guess that's why later canisters like the Glatorian Legends canisters added little indentations under the lid.

It wasn't so hard that that's what I remember them for, though. At least now I can understand how somebody could hurt himself opening one! Yeowch.

Fishers, the topic is Mistika like canister, as in, they are like the mistika canister but have a different design and still have the nightmare to open thing (also would you like a Cup of Fail :P)

Plus if you still have a Mistika canister around, go get it, and try to open it, you wouldn't being saying neutral after it.

I have a solution for that. *pulls out pickaxe* 

How about "I don't know, neutral?"

I mean, they look cool, but they don't seem to fit the 2015 vibe. Maybe with the Mask of Creation instead of the Ignika? :shrugs:

Maybe have the crown-type part of the mask as the cap, but on the bottom, like a Barraki can, and then have the cylinder come up?  I'd go for that.

I'd be okay with that. Honestly I don't mind the boxes, as they are easier to store, but I can see the appeal of having a solid base for my Toa to stand on. 

They sure beat the cereal boxes they come in now.

FINALLY. Someone with sense comes on the scene. The Ignika mask on the top is kind of cool, and besides, the Glatorian Legends were the same style, and no one seems to hate on those.

Edited by Booky The Bookworm
  • Upvote 1

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

FINALLY. Someone with sense comes on the scene. The Ignika mask on the top is kind of cool, and besides, the Glatorian Legends were the same style, and no one seems to hate on those.

I don't necessarily HATE any canisters, and the Mistika canisters were in fact one of my favorite designs. But ultimately every single canister design has a significant flaw: they're bulky, and take up space whether or not they have a set inside them. The current boxes may not be as snazzy, but by collapsing them I can keep them all pristine without taking up any more space than a file folder, without harming the gorgeous designs covering every side of the boxes. I could collect the new Bionicle sets for years and years without having to even contemplate getting rid of the packaging, whereas when I look at the pile of canisters in my room, I'm pained by the knowledge that outside of throwing them all away there's no way for me to reclaim that space.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Many people's issue with the Mistika canisters seems to be that the lids were hard to remove. The Glatorian Legends canister lids were much easier to remove because the canisters had indentations just below the lids. It's not the shape of the canister that people are bothered by.

I Honestly don't even remember what the Mistika canisters looked like. So I voted no, essentially. 

While I like the current designs for the canisters (and their storability) If they returned to the old plastic ones, I'd like to see the Mata-Nui era style ones. You know, the ones that had a function within the story and could be used as part of the set? (I'm talking the 2001 sets here.) I liked that particular style the most. It was small, had storage space for all the masks you could collect, and even could function as part of the adventure, rather than just a storage container. (A toa canister and the thing on top which held all the masks whose name I don't remember at all.)

But the current cardboard ones are nice too. Easier to flatten/store.

• Upvote 2

Defy Expectations

I mean sure, you've got those Eco-consense people out there, but if I'm paying 20+$ for a set, i expect it to come in a container more sturdy.

You do know that the topic is talking about the canisters that is known to be a nightmare to open and have a chance that it would ripe your out your thumbnail.

Not canisters in general