Bionicle 2015 Set Opinions?

SaikoRhythm

Dunno if I should make a poll for this, but I'm about to go buy some Bionicle sets. Probably not too big of a budget, but I can't decide what sets to get. I'd like at least two or three to start... Any opinions? All I can think of is Gali, but that's because that was my first Bionicle set ever.

EDIT: I feel too old to be buying Bionicles. Anyone have any self-confidence advice?

Edited by SaikoRhythm
  • Upvote 2

Well I went after my first original sets as well. That being the Earth sets PoE and Onua. Followed by the Lord of Skull Spiders so I'd have a Rahi for them to fight and I have not been disappointed in the slightest. Well, save for wanting another hammer for Onua. I also have Gali and have her in her Mermaid form and Lewa in his flight mode. Covering the 3 original Toa Mata I personally owned.

So if Gali was your first back in Gen1 and enjoyed her then I say go for what ya know.

You may want to get a combo of a Toa and Protector of the same element unless you like to do the whole clash of elements deal. Then I would vote for the Lord of Skull Spiders so they have a villain to cause them bad days. Though regardless of what set you do choose to get you'll have a few baby skull spiders to agitate your Toa or Protector. Tahu Onua and Kopaka take the largest Bite out of a limited budget So if price is the object and you want to add a Okoto Toa to your collection go for one of the other 3. Gali could be looking better all the time. Though I hear some places have them on clearance already so you just may get away with an Onua for a small $10 USD.

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

EDIT: I feel too old to be buying Bionicles. Anyone have any self-confidence advice?

I wouldn't worry about being too old. It's your decision, and your decision alone to purchase LEGO. Honestly, if somebody says you're too old to be buying toys, then they're too ignorant and inmature to understand that you should be allowed to do something that makes you a happier person with a greater experience in life.

Anyway, I'd go with Gali. She's $15 USD and is the biggest of the three smaller Toa.

• Upvote 4

Addressing everyone-

Thanks for the self confidence boost, guys. To Karzahni with people who think I'm too old!

As for prices, locations, and sets, the only places around here are Target and Toys R Us, both selling them at full value. I'm looking to stay under a $50-$60 USD price range, and a maximum of 3-4 sets. I'm considering two Toa with matching Protectors, and I'm definitely getting Gali.

• Upvote 3

Just got back... These new guys have a hefty price tag.

I got Gali, Onua, and their respective Protectors. Gonna buy one more Toa and Protector, then I'll probably get the Lord of Skull Spiders. Might get the rest of the Toa/Protectors, but I might just wait for the summer line. Unsure.

I got Gali, Onua, and their respective Protectors. Gonna buy one more Toa and Protector, then I'll probably get the Lord of Skull Spiders. Might get the rest of the Toa/Protectors, but I might just wait for the summer line. Unsure.

LOSS may not look the best, but he's great for parts. I highly recommend getting the set for MOC builders like yourself.

• Upvote 1

EDIT: I feel too old to be buying Bionicles. Anyone have any self-confidence advice?

Just remember all the man-children on the Internet and think, "I'm doing something with my life" ...always works for me.

Only joking. ^_^;

Edited by Forgeta
  • Upvote 1

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

EDIT: I feel too old to be buying Bionicles. Anyone have any self-confidence advice?

Just remember all the man-children on the Internet and think, "I'm doing something with my life" ...always works for me.

I don't think adult Bionicle fans (or any Adult Fans of Lego) are in any position to be calling anyone else "manchildren".

I don't mean to say that that's an accurate or fair descriptor for us, either. But those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, you know?

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I don't think adult Bionicle fans (or any Adult Fans of Lego) are in any position to be calling anyone else "manchildren".

I don't mean to say that that's an accurate or fair descriptor for us, either. But those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, you know?

WHOOPS! Completely forgot to say I was joking! Sorry to all those who were offended. >.<

|

LOSS may not look the best, but he's great for parts. I highly recommend getting the set for MOC builders like yourself.

Says the guy who actually upgraded his Lord of Skull Spiders into an 8-legged beefed up threat to Toa and Protector alike.

Also Good choice on the Toa you selected. Not really sure how much I like the Protector of Water. Have you decided on what your 3rd Toa is going to be? Because I could recommend Lewa or Tahu for their Protector sets alone. Well Lewa because he was one of my personal Toa Mata sets but that is a different story.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I can't decide on the best Toa, but Pohatu is the worst. 

He's really short, has translucent neon green bones for some reason, and has spikes of bone sticking out from his arm. Speaking of his arms, they're totally asymmetrical. One arm is trans neon green and dark orange, and the other is black and silver. 

I'd recommend getting Tahu first. 

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

He's really short, has translucent neon green bones for some reason, and has spikes of bone sticking out from his arm. Speaking of his arms, they're totally asymmetrical. One arm is trans neon green and dark orange, and the other is black and silver. 

I notice that, in explaining why he's "the worst", you couldn't name a single objective flaw. In fact, you pretty much highlighted all the aspects of his design that have the potential to give him any distinct appeal.

Trans. Neon Green? An intentional part of his color scheme! Maybe you don't like it, but it's no more a mistake than Kopaka's Trans. Light Blue or Tahu's Trans. Neon Orange. Same goes for the bone spikes (which give him a Mad Max-esque aesthetic appropriate for a desert setting), and the assymetrical arms—which are actually done really well, with one arm clearly designed to be more heavily armored and the other designed to look like it's pulsing with energy.

And what's weird is that Pohatu DOES in fact have a fair number of actual deficiencies that set him apart from the other Toa and lessen his appeal in comparison, none of which you mentioned. He has the lowest part count of the bunch. His build is by far the most basic and least innovative. Unlike the other Toa, he lacks back armor. His weapons, while unique, tend to flop around due to the pins that connect the two halves losing friction over time. Those specific flaws are why he's my least favorite of the new Toa, as well—but the things you mentioned are actual design choices that play a big part in making up for those flaws.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

I notice that, in explaining why he's "the worst", you couldn't name a single objective flaw. In fact, you pretty much highlighted all the aspects of his design that have the potential to give him any distinct appeal.

Trans. Neon Green? An intentional part of his color scheme! Maybe you don't like it, but it's no more a mistake than Kopaka's Trans. Light Blue or Tahu's Trans. Neon Orange. Same goes for the bone spikes (which give him a Mad Max-esque aesthetic appropriate for a desert setting), and the assymetrical arms—which are actually done really well, with one arm clearly designed to be more heavily armored and the other designed to look like it's pulsing with energy.

And what's weird is that Pohatu DOES in fact have a fair number of actual deficiencies that set him apart from the other Toa and lessen his appeal in comparison, none of which you mentioned. He has the lowest part count of the bunch. His build is by far the most basic and least innovative. Unlike the other Toa, he lacks back armor. His weapons, while unique, tend to flop around due to the pins that connect the two halves losing friction over time. Those specific flaws are why he's my least favorite of the new Toa, as well—but the things you mentioned are actual design choices that play a big part in making up for those flaws.

Trans light blue = Ice

Trans neon orange = Fire.

You don't really see many translucent green stones.

Trans light blue = Ice

Pohatu? Lewa?

• Upvote 1

|

Trans light blue = Ice

You do in locations where uranium ore can be found. And that's not as rare as you'd think—uranium is 40 times more common than silver and 500 times more common than gold. Uranium ore even glows under a blacklight, like Pohatu's bones. So it wouldn't surprise me if that was a direct inspiration for the new Pohatu's color scheme.

• Upvote 2

Trans light blue = Ice

You do in locations where uranium ore can be found. And that's not as rare as you'd think—uranium is 40 times more common than silver and 500 times more common than gold. Uranium ore even glows under a blacklight, like Pohatu's bones. So it wouldn't surprise me if that was a direct inspiration for the new Pohatu's color scheme.

Makes sense, as the Stone Region was the place where the MoUP was tested and where the initial explosion from the battle between Makuta and Ekimu took place. I'd imagine that there may be some connection there, but I find it unlikely. After all, it's still a children's toy line.

Trans light blue = Ice

oh i was gonna say some green gemstone, like perodot. Peridohatu.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Trans light blue = Ice

I suppose that makes sense, but personally I think colours representing ores would be much more fitting on Onua.

Trans light blue = Ice

I suppose that makes sense, but personally I think colours representing ores would be much more fitting on Onua.

Yes, definitely. Though the purple is a lot better than forcing tons of different colors to represent ores.

|

Hold on The Pohatu set glows under blacklight? Is there by chance images of this as I don't have Pohatu or any idea where to get a blacklight to test this myself...

Onua.png

I thought he was yellow for sulfur. Though that's more of a "fire and lava(magma)" thing.

I tend to compare it to uranium ore because of the "glowiness", but you're right that it's also somewhat similar to sulfur and other yellow/green minerals.

Edited by Lyichir

Or maybe it's just that green is a well chosen contrast to the dark orange, without being directly complementary to it.

I think the color distribution on Pohatu is one of his strongest features, especially the slight asymmetry adds visual interest.

Otherwise I agree with Lyichir when it comes to Pohatu's shortcomings, but I find myself quite enarmored with the little dude nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

Pohatu is honestly my 2nd favorite Toa (after Gali). I just really like his basic, armored design. Especially his unique color-scheme. 

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Pick up all the Toa at least. I think they are the best Toa-level sets I've ever built. Though I do agree that they are a bit pricey... Maybe wait for a sale?

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg