Calling all Analytical Nerds!

SaikoRhythm

Best-selling color?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My main guess would be red, just based on how they marketed them. I always went for blue ones or green. I know brown ones didn't sell as well which prompted the change to yellow/orange in later years, although I have no idea why they wouldn't have sold as well.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

Red. It's not just BIONICLE; almost every other best-selling boy toy ever is at least 50% Red. Optimus Prime, Toa, Power Rangers.... Red has been marketed as the color of the 'leader' (or whoever gets the best powerups, which leads to the most awesome character that can beat up the most mooks.) And naturally all the kids want a toy of the character that can beat up the most mooks.

It doesn't hold for every example (like TMNT-the leader's color is blue.) But I've seen it in a lot of circumstances.

• Upvote 1

Defy Expectations

I have to agree with the majority and say red. When it comes to getting waves of sets, I usually go for the red one first if possible. And as others have said, the character whose color is red is usually the leader of said wave.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

As the red character is nearly always the main character at the forefront of any advertising, I'm gonna say red with white and maybe blue and green following close behind. 

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

As many have said, red is the most eye-catching colour (which is why signs relating to safety or danger often use it), and so sets using this colour would presumably have the highest sales.

The use of red goes further than just that Toa being the leader of his team, it's used for many important beings, both in story and visuals: the main character of the MNOLG is from and returns to Ta-Koro, nearly all Bohrok artwork uses Tahnok, one of the two Bahrag is red, two red Matoran are the main characters of the 2003 movie, the red Toa Metru is the narrator and main character of the 2004 movie, the Turaga of Metru-Nui is mostly red, the only remaining Toa Mangai is the red one...you get the idea. :P

• Upvote 1

I don't actually have a clue as to which color/element sells best, I just put my favorite, that being white/ice.  :akaku: :akakunu: :smilekopakanu:

Edited by Booky The Bookworm
  • Upvote 1

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

It should be noted that red isn't always the leader. Just in terms of Toa, really. For the Piraka, green (Zaktan) was the leader and for the Barraki, white (Pridak) was the leader. Zaktan has red eyes and Pridak has red markings, but that's beside the point. The Bohrok, Bohrok-Kal, Rahkshi, Vahki, Visorak, Phantoka/Mistika Makuta, Glatorian, Glatorian Legends, and Stars didn't really have official leaders within their own canister series, so they don't count.

However, the Toa Mata, Toa Nuva, Toa Metru, Toa Hordika, Toa Hagah, Toa Inika, Toa Mahri, and Phantoka/Mistika Toa Nuva all had red leaders.

Notice, however, there has never been a brown/yellow/orange/tan leader at all.

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

• 2 weeks later...

In order from most popular to least:

Green (apparently. Seeing as how these sets are always low in stock)

Red

White

Black

Blue

Brown

Green probably doesn't seem like a popular color, but it actually is. Green means optimism and creativity. Kids, though see red as an eye catcher, also see green as a happy color. Even stores know this! They put the green toys on lower shelves more often. I actually have a hard time finding green Lego sets because they're sold out so quickly.

In order from most popular to least:

Green (apparently. Seeing as how these sets are always low in stock)

Red

White

Black

Blue

Brown

Green probably doesn't seem like a popular color, but it actually is. Green means optimism and creativity. Kids, though see red as an eye catcher, also see green as a happy color. Even stores know this! They put the green toys on lower shelves more often. I actually have a hard time finding green Lego sets because they're sold out so quickly.

How many of each set is in stock in your area is a really unreliable indicator of overall popularity. First of all, not all areas are the same. Things that sell like hotcakes in one area might not sell as well worldwide. You won't believe how many arguments I've witnessed over how [insert theme here] is/isn't popular because it is/isn't in stock at different people's local toy stores. Sometimes things even differ based on national borders — so a set or theme that is massively popular in one country might be a shelfwarmer in another country.

But additionally, you never know how many of each set stores are getting in in the first place. Sometimes if stores have expectations of certain sets being popular, they order greater quantities of those sets from the get-go, so they have more to sell before they're out-of-stock. Also, sometimes stores choose to restock the shelves more frequently with sets that are selling well than with ones that aren't, so while it might seem like they're having a hard time clearing out a certain set, they could just be restocking so frequently that the shelf in question is never empty. Unless you actually work at a store that sells the sets and have access to the exact number of each set that's been sold, you can't just judge by how many you see on the shelves.

With the 2015 sets there's now an additional complicating factor, that being not every color of set is the same price. The Protectors are all $10, but three of the Toa are more expensive than the other three. Less expensive sets generally tend to sell faster (as is to be expected — more people can afford them, after all), so in this case how fast the sets sell has to do with a lot more than just their color. Then again, LEGO can use this to their advantage — if they know a certain color of set tends to sell like hotcakes, they can price it higher, while if they expect a certain color of set to sell more slowly, they can price it lower. That helps balance out the demand.

• Upvote 3