DOCTOR WHO

Gipsy Danger

Ok, guys, so Lego is coming out with a Dr. Who set sometime this fall.  And LEGO might buy the RIGHTS so they can make some sets from the seasons that Dr. Who had.  I brought this up because I just think it would be cool to have Doctor Who.  And its now Lego related since they are making a set and selling it this fall/autumn.

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

Lego is going to be making a set based on Doctor Who. There's no "buying the rights" necessary—if they want to make additional sets based on past seasons, it can be done through essentially the same licensing process that has to be done for even a single set.

We don't know whether there will be more sets after the initial Ideas set. That depends on how much faith Lego has in the theme, and how willing the BBC will be to continue that partnership. But the initial Lego Minecraft set was so successful that it led to a full theme—it's entirely possible that Doctor Who could follow the same trajectory.

In fact, at least some sources have claimed that Doctor Who will be featured in the new "toys-to-life" game Lego Dimensions. If that's the case, it may well be a great opportunity for additional figures (such as other versions of the Doctor, or his companions) and props (like vehicles or even non-minifig aliens like Daleks) to be released.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Wasn't Portal supposed to be in Dimensions?

I wouldn't trust the rumor mill. That's how everyone got hyped for TES6: Argonia.

Portal has been speculated to be in Lego Dimensions based on nothing but a very blurry look at a character list on the top of one of the boxes. I personally doubt its inclusion, particularly because there's been no announcement so far of a PC release—and why would Valve license one of their characters for a game that would not be available on Steam?

Doctor Who is a different case, because at least one article about the game's announcement (LINK) claimed that the publication had been "told unofficially" that it would be included. That's still not 100% reliable but it certainly sounds they have more of a credible source than just internet speculation.

Edited by Lyichir

Lego is going to be making a set based on Doctor Who. There's no "buying the rights" necessary—if they want to make additional sets based on past seasons, it can be done through essentially the same licensing process that has to be done for even a single set.

We don't know whether there will be more sets after the initial Ideas set. That depends on how much faith Lego has in the theme, and how willing the BBC will be to continue that partnership. But the initial Lego Minecraft set was so successful that it led to a full theme—it's entirely possible that Doctor Who could follow the same trajectory.

In fact, at least some sources have claimed that Doctor Who will be featured in the new "toys-to-life" game Lego Dimensions. If that's the case, it may well be a great opportunity for additional figures (such as other versions of the Doctor, or his companions) and props (like vehicles or even non-minifig aliens like Daleks) to be released.

Whoa, WHOA!!!  What's Lego Dimensions :???: ?  Also, that's how the mods explained it on the site Lego.

Edited by Gipsy Danger

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

Whoa, WHOA!!! What's Lego Dimensions :???: ? Also, that's how the mods explained it on the site Lego.

Lego Dimensions is a recently announced video game and Lego's first foray into the "toys to life" genre pioneered by Skylanders. Like similar games, the game uses an electronic "portal" to scan special figurines into the game, but unlike other games of that sort, those figurines are actual Lego minifigures and models built onto special electronic stands. Lego Dimensions will feature many Lego themes, including The Lego Movie, Lord of the Rings, Ninjago, DC Super Heroes, and The Wizard of Oz (brand new for Lego Dimensions). Other themes are sure to be announced as the game's fall release date draws closer, one of which may be Doctor Who if that article is to be believed.

Personally, I like to call "toys-to-life" games Cashgrab: The Video Game. If it's anything like those games, or anything like other LEGO games period, it'll be a cheaply made cashgrab.

Other Lego games are a cashgrab? I don't think so—the amount of work that clearly goes into most of the Lego console games is fairly staggering. Even if they're mostly based on similar gameplay, aspects like the level design still take a ton of work, particularly considering the number of brick-built objects that have to be designed for each game. And that's not even getting into voice acting, debugging, animation, sound design... if that kind of work is considered a "cashgrab", then the entire video game industry is equally guilty.

There's no doubt that the primary goal of Lego Dimensions, like that of pretty much ALL Lego products, is to make money. But it's not just about the money—like most of Lego's digital offerings, a big part of Lego Dimensions' goal is also to expand the appeal for Lego's core physical products. Lego Dimensions should probably be better for that than any previous game, considering that the game offers an integrated physical/digital play experience.

But that's all kind of off-topic, isn't it? This topic is for discussing Lego Doctor Who and what it will entail, not your personal opinion on toys-to-life games or videogames in general.

Edited by Lyichir

Personally, I like to call "toys-to-life" games Cashgrab: The Video Game. If it's anything like those games, or anything like other LEGO games period, it'll be a cheaply made cashgrab.

Other Lego games are a cashgrab? I don't think so—the amount of work that clearly goes into most of the Lego console games is fairly staggering. Even if they're mostly based on similar gameplay, aspects like the level design still take a ton of work, particularly considering the number of brick-built objects that have to be designed for each game. And that's not even getting into voice acting, debugging, animation, sound design... if that kind of work is considered a "cashgrab", then the entire video game industry is equally guilty.

There's no doubt that the primary goal of Lego Dimensions, like that of pretty much ALL Lego products, is to make money. But it's not just about the money—like most of Lego's digital offerings, a big part of Lego Dimensions' goal is also to expand the appeal for Lego's core physical products. Lego Dimensions should probably be better for that than any previous game, considering that the game offers an integrated physical/digital play experience.

But that's all kind of off-topic, isn't it? This topic is for discussing Lego Doctor Who and what it will entail, not your personal opinion on toys-to-life games or videogames in general.

1. Every time I play a LEGO game, I feel like I'm getting the same game over and over again. Why can't I have a LEGO game where I actually have to build stuff?

2. Okay, back on topic. I hope we'll get a huge recreation of the Tardis interior as a $75 set.

• Upvote 1

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

• 3 weeks later...

it's a business if they're not trying for a cash grab they're doing it wrong.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

1. Every time I play a LEGO game, I feel like I'm getting the same game over and over again. Why can't I have a LEGO game where I actually have to build stuff?

You mean like in all of them? Finding parts and building things is a part of eack levle, and I'm not talking about the minikits.

You are their rock.

You mean like in all of them? Finding parts and building things is a part of eack levle, and I'm not talking about the minikits.

No... I mean like build stuff I designed. When I play a LEGO game, I expect to get a least a little of the LEGO experience. Instead, "hold B to build stuff!"

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Have you guys seen the pics on Brickset? Doctor Who has been CONFIRMED for Dimensions! More than just the Ideas set materializing! The K-9 'minifig' that's part of the Dimensions set looks great, and the Doctor looks indescribably great!

And the doctor's sonic screwdriver isn't a gold lightsaber hilt; it is a new mold for the sonic screwdriver!

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

Have you guys seen the pics on Brickset? Doctor Who has been CONFIRMED for Dimensions! More than just the Ideas set materializing! The K-9 'minifig' that's part of the Dimensions set looks great, and the Doctor looks indescribably great!

And the doctor's sonic screwdriver isn't a gold lightsaber hilt; it is a new mold for the sonic screwdriver!

It's new mold.

cringe

No... I mean like build stuff I designed. When I play a LEGO game, I expect to get a least a little of the LEGO experience. Instead, "hold B to build stuff!"

Your asking for a lot form a game that need to sale and make enough money for LEGO TT and who ever owns Batman or Harry Potter.

You are their rock.

Your asking for a lot form a game that need to sale and make enough money for LEGO TT and who ever owns Batman or Harry Potter.

Won't a better game sell more and thus make more money? I don't see your logic, here.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Won't a better game sell more and thus make more money? I don't see your logic, here.

A game that allowed you to build whatever you want wouldn't necessarily be "better"... just "different". The current objective-oriented Lego licensed games do better with simple pre-built objects, which don't interrupt the flow of the game or allow sections of levels to be skipped by sequence-breaking. And even those are starting to push boundaries—the new Ninjago game features "scrap builds" that allow Jay to construct simple models by dragging and dropping parts into place. A more sandbox-style game would be nice as well, but I don't think think it's a situation where there's only room for one or the other.

As I said previously, though... this is all extremely off-topic. As far as we know, there isn't even going to BE a Lego Doctor Who game other than Lego Dimensions.

A game that allowed you to build whatever you want wouldn't necessarily be "better"... just "different". The current objective-oriented Lego licensed games do better with simple pre-built objects, which don't interrupt the flow of the game or allow sections of levels to be skipped by sequence-breaking. And even those are starting to push boundaries—the new Ninjago game features "scrap builds" that allow Jay to construct simple models by dragging and dropping parts into place. A more sandbox-style game would be nice as well, but I don't think think it's a situation where there's only room for one or the other.

As I said previously, though... this is all extremely off-topic. As far as we know, there isn't even going to BE a Lego Doctor Who game other than Lego Dimensions.

That's my point, sorta. Ben is asking for mind craft when as LEGO, WB, CD, Marvel, Disney, Lucasfilm, and now Universal want action games that appeal to a wider audience.

You are their rock.