When the poll is actually created, someone please link to it in this topic. 

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Hahahaha... yes polls... because only short sighted fans of a story (that has already ended) would think it makes total sense that "if just enough people want it... then it must become canon" that's like trying to ask George Lucas to canonized that Han Solo shot first... a stupid gimmick that does matter but fans want it for some reason? Or have more female storm troopers in the background or getting shot at (where no one can tell or notice or care). No wait... I think all of the storm troopers should be female... yes... if we demand it hard enough and get enough people to agree with this plan... then it should be canon, nothing can beat the mob-mentality. Muhahahahaha... Only... the story isn't theirs... it's the one who wrote it or the people who officially write about it, just because you want some stupid gimmicky thing to change, doesn't mean you have a right for it to change or better yet it needed to change in the first place.

Logic now.. do you think it? lol (This has been quite the amusing discussion, despite the fruitless nature and the obvious end result in it... which spoiler alert leads one step forward and one trip back.) 

• Upvote 6

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

Hahahaha... yes polls... because only short sighted fans of a story (that has already ended) would think it makes total sense that "if just enough people want it... then it must become canon" that's like trying to ask George Lucas to canonized that Han Solo shot first... a stupid gimmick that does matter but fans want it for some reason? Or have more female storm troopers in the background or getting shot at (where no one can tell or notice or care). No wait... I think all of the storm troopers should be female... yes... if we demand it hard enough and get enough people to agree with this plan... then it should be canon, nothing can beat the mob-mentality. Muhahahahaha... Only... the story isn't theirs... it's the one who wrote it or the people who officially write about it, just because you want some stupid gimmicky thing to change, doesn't mean you have a right for it to change or better yet it needed to change in the first place.

Logic now.. do you think it? lol (This has been quite the amusing discussion, despite the fruitless nature and the obvious end result in it... which spoiler alert leads one step forward and one trip back.) 

You pretty much reiterated what I said earlier. I'm very much against this for the sole reason I don't see the need for this. Making an element female isn't going to change anything. As someone stated earlier, changing the gender of a bunch of background characters, that never were seen or will be seen in story isn't going to have any affect. This whole matter pretty much equates to a pointless, and trivial debate that appeases a small, small majority of the fanbase. Though even if they get this, they still won't be satisfied, it will lead them to just wanting more. Plus it just reinforced the incorrect concept that the story team owes us, and that we should have a say in the story they created, and that they own.

Though at least if enough people say 'no' in the polls, one would think they would respect that and not push forward with this trivial and meaningless endeavor.

Edited by Voxumo
  • Upvote 1

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

You pretty much reiterated what I said earlier. I'm very much against this for the sole reason I don't see the need for this. Making an element female isn't going to change anything. As someone stated earlier, changing the gender of a bunch of background characters, that never were seen or will be seen in story isn't going to have any affect. This whole matter pretty much equates to a pointless, and trivial debate that appeases a small, small majority of the fanbase. Though even if they get this, they still won't be satisfied, it will lead them to just wanting more. Plus it just reinforced the incorrect concept that the story team owes us, and that we should have a say in the story they created, and that they own.

Though at least if enough people say 'no' in the polls, one would think they would respect that and not push forward with this trivial and meaningless endeavor.

>Making an element female isn't going to change anything. As someone stated earlier, changing the gender of a bunch of background characters, that never were seen or will be seen in story isn't going to have any affect.

But the other option would be to genderbend existing characters, and no one really wants that do they?

It opens up more options for making characters. That was kind of the point from the beginning.

>Making an element female isn't going to change anything. As someone stated earlier, changing the gender of a bunch of background characters, that never were seen or will be seen in story isn't going to have any affect.

But the other option would be to genderbend existing characters, and no one really wants that do they?

It opens up more options for making characters. That was kind of the point from the beginning.

Making characters? Making what characters? Characters for personal stories? And you forget the one other option, just not doing anything, and allowing people to have the elements whatever genders they choose when they are writing or mocing. 

Edited by Voxumo

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

Making characters? Making what characters? Characters for personal stories? And you forget the one other option, just not doing anything, and allowing people to have the elements whatever genders they choose when they are writing or mocing. 

I agree. Nobody said the elements had to be genderbent. Lives aren't depending on this retcon. Why can't it just be up to writer and/or MOCer?

• Upvote 2

mindeth the cobwebs

Genders don't effect story... ha ha ha... So... if Edward was a girl and not a whatever he is... would that change the dynamic character development and in depth plot of Twilight? Probably not, because that was an awful story and a poor example of the importance of gender being an intrinsic part of character development. 

But if they made all of the Stormtroopers to females... that would be sexist because they can't aim and die a lot. Wait... I know I had a point here... uh I'll get back to you on that example. 

What if all the elemental characters in Bionicle were gender swapped or evened out? Would the initial story be very different? Well.. yes, that's because gender is an important part of oneself identity, and the social norms that conflict with the situation of being part of a specific gender role or gender mentality. The gender of a character can make a bad character good or visa versa. Take Tahu for instance, if he was a girl... but generally the same personality, the perception of the viewer or reader or whatever, will significantly change. Look at Adventure Time, there are a few genderbending episodes, and all of the reversed characters were interpreted vastly different compared to the original characters (at least with the main characters) So yeah gender is a very important aspect to characters archetypes. 

And this is true even with people in the real world, like with personality types, an INFP guy is going to have to act very different than an INFP girl, because of the gender difference and the social pressure for traditional gender roles etc. Even though they have similar thought patterns or temperaments. 

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

As flowers have parts from both genders, I would be alright if The Green was also a bi-gender race, like the races of Light.

I agree with this. But I have to wonder, why is gender even a thing if it doesn't really effect anything? Why can't every element be bi-gendered? Why would the great beings have a bias of gender if the matoran/toa/turaga can't reproduce?

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

As flowers have parts from both genders, I would be alright if The Green was also a bi-gender race, like the races of Light.

I agree with this. But I have to wonder, why is gender even a thing if it doesn't really effect anything? Why can't every element be bi-gendered? Why would the great beings have a bias of gender if the matoran/toa/turaga can't reproduce?

I always took the elements as "classes" and the Ga-Matorans being the breeders. Like how the Ko-Matorans were scholars and Ta-Matorans as mask makers.

I always took the elements as "classes" and the Ga-Matorans being the breeders. Like how the Ko-Matorans were scholars and Ta-Matorans as mask makers.

Makes sense. But does ones gender and element really define ones occupation or class of occupation?

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Makes sense. But does ones gender and element really define ones occupation or class of occupation?

Think of the suits in Star Trek, then just make a suit for only women.

Ok, I would agree that the personality types of the typically Plant life would be more feminine, doesn't mean they have to be female. I mean guys can have feminine personality characteristics, does mean they necessarily have to be sexually orientated towards the same sex or anything (but it would be the type of personality that would be more inclined toward that direction.) I would considered myself to have more feminine personality traits than most guys, but I have a girlfriend and I've never been attracted to guys.

Not to be sexist, but I've always seen most guys are gross hygiene wise, are often arrogant, or are always competing for who's in charge reason? Girls are more interesting to talk to, and have more different views than guys, guys tend to be very straight forward and closed minded.

I like more freedom of disagreement, it helps strengthen a better conclusion when there is a minority or opposing side. That's why I like to side with the less explored side of the argument. 

• Upvote 1

Breeders? They don't breed, no one in the MU does: in Metru-Nui they were designated as either water/liquid artificial protodermis purifiers, or teachers. Their roles may have been different outside of Metru-Nui, but not one is a breeder dude.

I think the Great Beings were just ignorantly sexist. :P  That's my best explanation on the reason for prescribed Matoran elemental genders.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

"breeders"? if you're implying what i think that's implying.... ouch. :0

I think the Great Beings were just ignorantly sexist. :P  That's my best explanation on the reason for prescribed Matoran elemental genders.

Pretty sure them being ignorant and/or sexist is about as canon as it gets, the great beings were garbage and they should feel bad. (actually, you can even tell by their title of "great beings" that they're pretty horrible people.)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

"breeders"? if you're implying what i think that's implying.... ouch. :0

Pretty sure them being ignorant and/or sexist is about as canon as it gets, the great beings were garbage and they should feel bad. (actually, you can even tell by their title of "great beings" that they're pretty horrible people.)

Y'know, the Great Beings did not make that title (the Agori did), and they did not call themselves that. Their real name as a race is unknown.

You can say the same about humanity: the scientific name we have given ourselves translates to "wise, wise man", meaning that we are not just more intelligent and better then other creatures, but twice as much (there is much truth in that, but the name is still quite posh).

• Upvote 3

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Ok, I would agree that the personality types of the typically Plant life would be more feminine, doesn't mean they have to be female. I mean guys can have feminine personality characteristics, does mean they necessarily have to be sexually orientated towards the same sex or anything (but it would be the type of personality that would be more inclined toward that direction.) I would considered myself to have more feminine personality traits than most guys, but I have a girlfriend and I've never been attracted to guys.

Not to be sexist, but I've always seen most guys are gross hygiene wise, are often arrogant, or are always competing for who's in charge reason? Girls are more interesting to talk to, and have more different views than guys, guys tend to be very straight forward and closed minded.

I like more freedom of disagreement, it helps strengthen a better conclusion when there is a minority or opposing side. That's why I like to side with the less explored side of the argument. 

You have a good point. Maybe the reason for gender is for psychological reasons? And physical characteristics are for differentiation. Wikipedia article on this subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_psychology#Psychological_traits

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

I can see you aren't making a generalization, but be careful. I'm a guy and try to listen to the arguments of others. Sometimes they sway me, sometimes we don't. Just remember, there are numerous exceptions to probably almost all gender-based rules.

Edited by The Hero Nuva Kaita Nui

To all BIONICLE fanfiction writers - send me your work, I'd genuinely love to read it - especially canon compliant pieces. I'm always looking for more such material to read and to circulate with my friends.

I can see you aren't making a generalization, but be careful. I'm a guy and try to listen to the arguments of others. Sometimes they sway me, sometimes we don't. Just remember, there are numerous exceptions to probably almost all gender-based rules.

Generally though, Matoran are similar in mannerisms, etc. in their own tribes. Of course there are exceptions (like Krakua or Tamaru) but we kind of have to generalize gender personalities to determine which genders would work better for each element. Think about canon gender/elements: water is peaceful and nurturing, but is more than willing to become powerful and destructive. On the other hand, fire is brash and violent, willing to lash out at anything. Also, many fire characters are seen as proud and/or arrogant, which is a more male trait. Plasma would make a great female element, because it's powerful (remember the Psionics thing - females are trusted with extremely powerful non-violent elements) but not violent. Plus, Lightning is a plasma, so those both being female elements would tie together well.

• Upvote 2

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

Well there we go, there's our opening. Can someone on the LMB petition Greg to make Plasma female then?

Oct 8 2006, 10:00 AM

4) Which gender do the Toa of Gravity and the Toa of Plasma have?

4) I would tend to think they are both male.

Nov 12 2007, 12:10 PM

4. What gender are Toa of Sonics?

4b. Toa of Plasma?

4) Both are male.

*pulls out sword* *growls*

*ahem*

Yeah, I guess we can...

The problem that Greg as a writer has is a "male as default" mindset. To him, a character is male until proven otherwise. And that's kinda gross because it paints females as an "offshoot" of males. Even when he was told that Psionics was going to be a female element, he still wrote a male character.

I've been told "g1 is done, wait for g2". And yeah the old story is finished. But g2 hasn't been any better.

The only confirmed female character is Gali. Even the Water Protector is referred to with male pronouns on the official Lego website, and if the "passed down from father to son" bit about the Protector's masks is literal, it could mean that Gali is the only female on the island. And that's even worse than g1. At least g1 had an all-female tribe even if the rest were males.

Lemme slide in here real quick, and agree with you on some things, but offer my own trail of thought on others.

I do agree that G1 had a little bit *too* much of a guy presence and did seem quite unbalanced, however I think that it should be taken into consideration that we got quite a few female characters who got excellent development, while many of the male ones kind of blended withthe background.

Pertaining to your statement about Greg being a "male default" writier is a problem, I'll have to stop you right there and remind yall that:

A) it's artistic license, every artist who has control over things practicesitin this era

B) Bionicle is/ has been marketed towards young boys. Since this is the target, it's very much safer for Lego to release a story that has an overwhelming amount of male characters to go with it (ex. GI Joe, Legends of Chima, Ninjago, etc).

In regards of G2 being worse at balancing their gender, I'll agree with you completely since so far we have a 1:13 (counting Makuta and Ekimu) ratio going and I doubt that will change much seeing the direction this line is headed into.

Again, this goes into marketing strategy. :)

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Well there we go, there's our opening. Can someone on the LMB petition Greg to make Plasma female then?

4b. Toa of Plasma?

4) Both are male.

*ahem*

Yeah, I guess we can...

The problem that Greg as a writer has is a "male as default" mindset. To him, a character is male until proven otherwise. And that's kinda gross because it paints females as an "offshoot" of males. Even when he was told that Psionics was going to be a female element, he still wrote a male character.

I've been told "g1 is done, wait for g2". And yeah the old story is finished. But g2 hasn't been any better.

The only confirmed female character is Gali. Even the Water Protector is referred to with male pronouns on the official Lego website, and if the "passed down from father to son" bit about the Protector's masks is literal, it could mean that Gali is the only female on the island. And that's even worse than g1. At least g1 had an all-female tribe even if the rest were males.

Lemme slide in here real quick, and agree with you on some things, but offer my own trail of thought on others.

I do agree that G1 had a little bit *too* much of a guy presence and did seem quite unbalanced, however I think that it should be taken into consideration that we got quite a few female characters who got excellent development, while many of the male ones kind of blended withthe background.

Pertaining to your statement about Greg being a "male default" writier is a problem, I'll have to stop you right there and remind yall that:

A) it's artistic license, every artist who has control over things practicesitin this era

B) Bionicle is/ has been marketed towards young boys. Since this is the target, it's very much safer for Lego to release a story that has an overwhelming amount of male characters to go with it (ex. GI Joe, Legends of Chima, Ninjago, etc).

In regards of G2 being worse at balancing their gender, I'll agree with you completely since so far we have a 1:13 (counting Makuta and Ekimu) ratio going and I doubt that will change much seeing the direction this line is headed into.

It might be 2:12. We don't know the PoW's gender yet.

4b. Toa of Plasma?

4) Both are male.

*ahem*

Yeah, I guess we can...

Or PoI, or PoJ, or PoS, or PoE. PoF is the only one to have had any vocals in the animations, and was characterized as male. The other five have been given no such distinction.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I know I had a post relevant to this recent topic... ah yes here it is

Also with the fact that the descriptions for the protector masks says 'father to son' that would imply that there is some form of reproduction, which in the typical sense also would imply there are females in the tribes. I imagine G2 will likely have something similar to the Spherus Magna tribes. Right now I think the descriptions on the bionicle site is just lego being lazy and giving the least amount of information, meaning the credibility is slim to none.

It may not mean that any of the protectors in the sets are female, but at least the story has hopes for being somewhat more equal in terms of gender. And isn't this what alot of people had issue with, not so much the gender ratio in the sets but moreso the story at large... not saying they could have done for more female characters set wise but that's beyond my point at the moment

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

4b. Toa of Plasma?

4) Both are male.

*ahem*

Yeah, I guess we can...

Or PoI, or PoJ, or PoS, or PoE. PoF is the only one to have had any vocals in the animations, and was characterized as male. The other five have been given no such distinction.
There's the father-to-sun statement, also wasn't the PoW confirmed to be make in like a rescent thing on the website? Either way, I doubt any of the Protectors will be female guys. :/

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

oman pls bose mek de planlyfe borkles grills

Please make your posts readable and make sure they actually add to the conversation. -B6

"Oh man please boys make the plantlife Bionicles girls"
I think we've prety much decided against it in favour of changing plasma to female, if the Fikou party gets its way. Edited by Regitnui

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Alright. I'll edit my post to remove that and you edit yours, and it's gone.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I created a monster that spawned 5 other threads filled with stupidity.

I never asked for this

it's called The Internet!

And if they don't like what you say, trust me, they'll let you know.

So in a way, Sailor, you did ask for this.

mindeth the cobwebs

I never asked for this

well, that's not what i meant at all, but okay. :0

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I never asked for this

Can you not say I was "asking for it"? That's kinda super gross and creepy.

I expected that this topic would be large. But I thought it would stay in here and not spread out like it did.