No Matoran

Toa Jaxus

Why is there no use of the word 'matoran' to refer to the villagers in the setting? I can understand not using turaga to describe the protectors, but matoran was an original word and strongly associated with the setting. I can see no reason for it not to be included. Does anybody know why or even have an idea?

The only real "species" title that carried over was Toa. While Matoran means something to us, it's still a jargon word for people new to the story, while the other descriptors have been Master, Spider, Protector, Skull, ext. It sounds like they don't want to bog down Gen2 with lots of crazy new words like they did for Gen1. Yeah, it cuts down on the mythology a bit, but it also keeps to their simpler method for telling the story. (Not to say I'm a huge fan of the lack of new species names, but whatevs. :shrugs: )

:music:

• Upvote 4

I can think of three main reasons.

The first is that the term "Matoran" refers rather specifically to the main inhabitants of the Great Spirit Mata Nui. Because the story of the Great Spirit Robot has already been told, and the new story seeks to distinguish itself from that, most names directly derived from Mata Nui (like Matoran, Toa Mata, etc.) have been abandoned in turn.

The second is that the term Matoran had a biological component in the classic story that might not be carried over to the current story. Matoran were more than just villagers—they were a distinct species, with very specific life processes and cycles (Matoran could become Toa, who in turn could become Turaga). Just like the word Turaga was eliminated to avoid the false implication that the Protectors had once been Toa, the term Matoran may well have been eliminated to avoid implying that the villagers themselves could become Toa (at least through known means).

The third is that, given an expressed desire to cut down on unnecessary terminology, the term "Matoran" is just unnecessary. For the current setting, at least, the term "villager" conveys the same meaning and is instantly comprehensible for most English speakers. Like other redundant terms ("Kanohi" for "mask", or "Rahi" for "monster" or "beast"), the new story loses nothing by opting for simpler terms.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 7

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I do think this new story seems pretty generic, personally. So far, only 8 characters have actual given names.

Keep in mind that this is saving Lego a lot of money since they don't have to go out and get copyrights on the unique names used in the story. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock
  • Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I do think this new story seems pretty generic, personally. So far, only 8 characters have actual given names.

Keep in mind that this is saving Lego a lot of money since they don't have to go out and get copywrites on the unique names used in the story. 

But at the same time, it cheapens the story. Think of a world with no names, where you had to get someone's attention by saying "Hey, you." Nobody would know who you're referring to.

Maybe if BIONICLE gets successful enough, they'll start assigning names. They could also reuse more names from G1, but I think they're trying to distance themselves from G1, and older fans might not appreciate it.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Keep in mind that this is saving Lego a lot of money since they don't have to go out and get copywrites on the unique names used in the story. 

Besides, the fact that only eight characters have names doesn't make the story generic. Some names may be revealed in time, and we're still in the first half of the first year.

What is it that makes the skull villains' names not "actual given names", incidentally? Is it that there might be multiples of each skull villain? Because in that case, that applies just as well to the vast majority of pre-2005 BIONICLE enemies.

Or is it that they are made up of actual words? Because that seems silly to me — not only is it very common for fictional names to be made up of real words (Rainbow Dash, Buzz Lightyear, Bumblebee, Sonic, etc), but it's also very common for REAL names to be made up of real words (Hunter, Chance, Earl, Summer, Jade, Melody, etc).

Or were you just not counting the skull villains because they're not out yet?

But at the same time, it cheapens the story. Think of a world with no names, where you had to get someone's attention by saying "Hey, you." Nobody would know who you're referring to.

The BIONICLE reboot is a long way from having to address people as "hey, you." Pretty much every character who does not have a given name at least has a title that uniquely identifies them (like "Protector of Fire" or "Lord of Skull Spiders"). Random crowd-filler characters haven't been named, but that's pretty normal for most franchises, including G1 BIONICLE.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 1

I can think of three main reasons.

The first is that the term "Matoran" refers rather specifically to the main inhabitants of the Great Spirit Mata Nui. Because the story of the Great Spirit Robot has already been told, and the new story seeks to distinguish itself from that, most names directly derived from Mata Nui (like Matoran, Toa Mata, etc.) have been abandoned in turn.

Very true but I think it is a bit more than simply because that branch of the story has been told. Keeping in mind that Toa Mata is directly derived from being Toa of Mata Nui. So naturally that name would not carry over. Unless somehow they call back to the reality that these are the same individuals from Gen1. (No hate mail I'm not suggesting gen1 and 2 are connected in this way.)

The second is that the term Matoran had a biological component in the classic story that might not be carried over to the current story. Matoran were more than just villagers—they were a distinct species, with very specific life processes and cycles (Matoran could become Toa, who in turn could become Turaga). Just like the word Turaga was eliminated to avoid the false implication that the Protectors had once been Toa, the term Matoran may well have been eliminated to avoid implying that the villagers themselves could become Toa (at least through known means).

This I think is more plausible due in part to other species/villager names of Gen 1. Glatorian for example are not Matoran just because they are both villager types. Gen 2 has a different species within the Bionicle Universe. As different as the other smaller Species we have already seen from Gen1. Though this begs the question, Could we get Turaga in this Gen? Mind you Matoran may be out but we have Toa and Toa could become Turaga once their destiny has been fulfilled. Or however that works.

The third is that, given an expressed desire to cut down on unnecessary terminology, the term "Matoran" is just unnecessary. For the current setting, at least, the term "villager" conveys the same meaning and is instantly comprehensible for most English speakers. Like other redundant terms ("Kanohi" for "mask", or "Rahi" for "monster" or "beast"), the new story loses nothing by opting for simpler terms.

While I can agree to an extent the story doesn't loose anything directly by not calling the Villagers Matoran(They are not after all). Or calling the only real wildlife we've seen Rahi. After all Rahi is a Matoran term and with no Matoran there is no reason to have Matoran terms. Though not sure if Konohi is directly Matoran in dialect but that could explain the missing term as well. 

Keep in mind that this is saving Lego a lot of money since they don't have to go out and get copyrights on the unique names used in the story.

This could very well be true. I mean think about it. They are bringing Bionicle back possibly on a whim due to the outcry of the fans. Well if the fans are more bark then bite they could loose a lot of unnecessary money if they invest more than they are willing to.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png