Human Toa (sorta?)

Rahkshi Lalonde

I did mention that at least three of these were supposed to be men, right? Because Tahu, Pohatu and Onua are supposed to be men at the very least.

Seriously though, nice work. This is (almost) what I was thinking when I was talking about Zero Suit Masters.

Yes, the bolding is necessary. Live with it.

Edited by Regitnui

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I did mention that at least three of these were supposed to be men, right? Because Tahu, Pohatu and Onua are supposed to be men at the very least.

I heard yes, and i'm also unsure about such abstractly specific guidelines about that? shrug. It just happened like this, it usually does. :t

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Oh boy. I'm gonna try and be constructive without being a jerk.

You have a cute cartoony style, and I like the coloring in most of your pics. However, I have noticed that many of the characters that you draw have the same face and body type. I think you should experiment with other ways of drawing, because one style doesn't work for everything.

And as much as I advocated for some secondary elements to be changed to female, I'm against gender-bending established characters.

I wonder...do you not like drawing male characters? Because you've genderbent other Toa in the past.

But even if you're gonna keep em all as chicks, Tahu still should be a lot bulkier. The other Toa I can see the resemblance in, but Tahu's design doesn't fit with the original character's personality and body type at all.

Also, work on the construction of your faces. Your facial structures are often poorly-defined, and the features of the face are not where they should be. Several of these Toa don't have eyebrows, and Kopaka doesn't even have a nose. And give 'em some muscle structure! Ain't no Toa gonna be punching out skull spiders with those noodle-arms.

The outfits that the Toa are wearing don't seem to be connected, they don't quite feel like a unified team. I feel like they should have some design elements that make it clear to the viewer that they're a team.

Doesn't have to be the exact same uniform on all of them, but maybe like a pattern or fabric cut they all share?

Also I would put a simplified version of their chest emblems on these suits, for more connection to the original sets.

• Upvote 1

You have a cute cartoony style, and I like the coloring in most of your pics. However, I have noticed that many of the characters that you draw have the same face and body type. I think you should experiment with other ways of drawing, because one style doesn't work for everything.

Dang, i was trying to avoid too similar faces/bodies. :t (i was trying to concentrate on different body types at the same time as trying to keep their heights consistent with each other, i have trouble handling more than one thing at a time. :u)

And as much as I advocated for some secondary elements to be changed to female, I'm against gender-bending established characters.

I wonder...do you not like drawing male characters? Because you've genderbent other Toa in the past.

I was gonna just try and even the ratio of the toa team... i don't know what happened. :t (though i do have a history of not drawing male characters. oops.)

But even if you're gonna keep em all as chicks, Tahu still should be a lot bulkier. The other Toa I can see the resemblance in, but Tahu's design doesn't fit with the original character's personality and body type at all.

Yikes, you're right. Tahu is too skinny and short compared to Kopaka and Onua, (which is what i get by drawing Tahu just after Lewa and Gali and just before Pohatu, I suppose. :t)

Also, work on the construction of your faces. Your facial structures are often poorly-defined, and the features of the face are not where they should be. Several of these Toa don't have eyebrows, and Kopaka doesn't even have a nose. And give 'em some muscle structure! Ain't no Toa gonna be punching out skull spiders with those noodle-arms.

that's just my habit of ommiting unimportant facial features. (which, excluding eyebrows, is on a character-by-character basis, for whatever reason. [also no ears, what are ears? i sure don't know!])

The outfits that the Toa are wearing don't seem to be connected, they don't quite feel like a unified team. I feel like they should have some design elements that make it clear to the viewer that they're a team.

Doesn't have to be the exact same uniform on all of them, but maybe like a pattern or fabric cut they all share?

Also I would put a simplified version of their chest emblems on these suits, for more connection to the original sets.

As usual, a valid complaint, (though it is worth mentioning these are their undersuits, the armor is what i'm drawing right now as an extension.) and, i guess they are kinda dissonant in places, like, a lot. :0

Tahu's Toa armor is well-drawn, but it seems a little lazy for human versions if they're just people in armor that looks copy-pasted from the sets.

I prefer tribal-looking Toa myself. You don't HAVE to do this, per se, but Okoto doesn't seem like a technologically advanced-enough area to have full plate armors. Bionicle looks to be inspired by Mesoamerica this time around (instead of Polynesia), so you could reference clothing and weapons from the Aztec and Maya.

Think about the environment the characters live in as well as their fighting style when coming up with designs.

Since Lewa lives in the jungle where it's hot and humid, he probably wouldn't wear a lot of clothing. And since his fighting style is acrobatic, too much armor would weigh him down.

He might have feathers/flowers in his hair, adopted from the Jungle Okotans.

Since Kopaka and Onua seem to be the heavy-hitters now, they'd have a lot more protection to fit their styles. Kopaka would probably wear some sort of fur, and Onua's armor might be decorated with purple crystals from the Okotan mines.

Stuff like that.

• Upvote 1

i'll... try that? I want to keep the forms recognizable, armor-wise, and these pieces are pretty tough to stylize as-is. (not to mention mesoamericans apparently didn't wear metal armor, so getting it to look like that will be super difficult, yikes.)

still, i try to please the largest number of people with my work, so i'll see what things i can incorporate. :0

Aztec armor consists of cotton soaked in salt water, a tunic (usually reserved for noble warriors), a decorated suit that covers the entire torso and extremities on a warrior. It also identifies achievements in battle, rank, alliance and social status. War helmets carved out of wood in the shape of animals like howler monkeys, birds or coyotes are also part of Aztec armor and they decorated the same way as their suits.

You could decorate the toa's suits with the abstract art on their chests and replace the helmets with their masks as well. Their weapons would have to be made out of wood and obsidian since they didn't have iron as well.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

These are pretty nice, but their outfits are somewhat dull compared to the vibrantly contrasting colors of the Toa's set designs.

These are the suits that would be worn under the armor, they're deliberately made dull to contrast with their bright armor.

yep, i'm in the (admittedly slow) process of making versions with armor, taking feedback and altering your outcomes using it is harder than it sounds though. sorry for the delay! :0

I love that you've managed to make undersuits actually look cool, not to mention unique. I've always been a huge fan of more stylized art styles, so I love the dynamic and unique body types. The only thing I have an issue with is Pohatu's eyes. It might be how the hair swoops over an eye, IDK, but the placement seems a little off. Besides that, I love them! :3

Again, though, I really love each Toa's unique body type. It's great to see females that don't have generic busty-type bodies.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...