Should the elements be mono-gendered...?

I'm not sure if this is a topic that has existed or not...if it is, my apologies.

So...for the last 15 years, the debate has gone on over the male-dominated element ratio for the matoran species...the way we have tended to go about it is to canonize as many female genders as possible (which, FYI, I entirely support).

However, maybe we're going about this the wrong way...there's a potentially better solution, one which I'm supprised has barely come up despite the Av-Matoran being a convincing precident...What if the elements, or at least some of them, are not mon-gendered...?

Potential evidence:

1: If you think about it, we have no actual evidence (that I know of off of the top of my head, open to corrections) that any of the elements are mono-gendered, with the exception of Psionics.

2: If we drop the assumption of matoran being a certain gender due to their element, most of the matoran we have seen VISUALLY could easily be the opposite gender than was assumed (at no point, for example, was Pakastaa refered to as a "He").

3: Perhaps there's some matoran-society reason or bias within each element as to WHY we saw more of one gender than another, which would likely not have been explored due to Bionicle's initial intended audience. We know that there are at least a few societal biases on gender in the MU, as evidenced by Orde's being the only male Psionic toa and by the vortixx being a female-dominated species, to name a few examples.

I don't know...these are ideas. Perhaps I am wrong on this idea. Discuss.

• Upvote 1

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

IMO, genders exist because some psychologies are better at using certain elements than others, such as the case with Psionics. If that's true, then mixed-gender tribes would make no sense, since it would be less efficient. If fire works really well in the hands of males, why add females? We see in-story even that Orde was too aggressive to use sensory powers, so the element was reassigned to females.

Edited by Toa Vanson
  • Upvote 5

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

IMO, genders exist because some psychologies are better at using certain elements than others, such as the case with Psionics. If that's true, then mixed-gender tribes would make no sense, since it would be less efficient. If fire works really well in the hands of males, why add females? We see in-story even that Orde was too aggressive to use sensory powers, so the element was reassigned to females.

I still don't buy the Orde story, tbh. :t

• Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I think an explanation for that would be that, seeing as the Matoran have little to identify themselves as either gender, they themselves likely "assigned" genders to each element, like for example, there might be a female Le-Matoran, but meeting her for the first time, you might use male gender pronouns, because air had been "assigned" the blanket gender of male.

Not sure if any of that makes sense, but hey, just my two cents.

Ding ding. You win.

Too many people think of this in terms of normal people logic when tackling this storyline concept instead of thinking in Great Being logic.

Then what do you buy?

• Upvote 3

it's just the concept of "men are inherently so violent, we had to hand this whole element (psionics isn't an elemental power but whatever) to women, who, by our logic, are inherently weaker and more passive" is really, really REALLY bad. :t

Ding ding. You win.

Too many people think of this in terms of normal people logic when tackling this storyline concept instead of thinking in Great Being logic.

Then what do you buy?

I'll buy a story that doesn't use sexist tropes to establish dumb rules (and the dumber exception) I'll also buy the idea that there simply isn't enough canon evidence to suggest the tribes really are one-gender-per-tribe. :0

(also i'll be dead before i use the same level of logic as the great beings, since their logic is just whatever is convenient for the story at any given time anyway. :t)

• Upvote 5

*HEADCANON SIRENS BLARING*

Okay, in my thinking, Matoran are generally not associated with any element.  But depending on their environment (and their personality), they take on the element of their surroundings.  So if a Normal Matoran stayed near a volcano for long enough, they would take on the colors and characteristics of Fire and become a Ta-Matoran.  Matoran who spent their times at high altitudes become Le-Matoran, staying near water creates a Ga-Matoran, etc, etc.

Once a Matoran becomes a Toa, though, the element becomes permanent.  A Toa of Water cannot shift into a Toa of Stone.

Why are the Ga-Matoran all female, then?  My theory is when the Matoran woke up from the Matoran Pods, most of the female Matoran went with the only female Turaga (Nokama) to Ga-Koro, and took on water elements.

So really, there are no gender-specific elements, but equal numbers of male and female Matoran, who take on whatever element is present around them.  Dumb answer but that's my idea...

EDIT: Correcting my first misspelling on this website.  Go me =P

Edited by evil_jaga_genius

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

it's just the concept of "men are inherently so violent, we had to hand this whole element (psionics isn't an elemental power but whatever) to women, who, by our logic, are inherently weaker and more passive" is really, really REALLY bad. :t

Ding ding. You win.

Then what do you buy?

I'll buy a story that doesn't use sexist tropes to establish dumb rules (and the dumber exception) I'll also buy the idea that there simply isn't enough canon evidence to suggest the tribes really are one-gender-per-tribe. :0

(also i'll be dead before i use the same level of logic as the great beings, since their logic is just whatever is convenient for the story at any given time anyway. :t)

Dude, we have LOTS of jobs in real life that are better suited to one gender or another. It's not sexism, it's logic and psychology. How many male nurses or elementary school teachers do you know? Women are generally better at those jobs, because of their psychology. Men and women have different instincts and ways of thinking, so of course it's logical for some genders to take over certain elements. And in this case, the Great Beings apparently thought that more elements would be handled better by males.

After reading a few articles, I came up with the main psychological differences between the sexes that may help determine why elements are male or female.

In general, males have more logical reactions while women have more emotive reactions. (More on this later.)

Men have a "fight or flight" response while women have a "tend and befriend" response. (This isn't to say that women aren't strong fighters. This means that while a man's first response may be to run or start attacking, a woman might stop to asses the threat's well being.)

Women are more social than men. In general, women are better at problem solving in social groups, while men can solve problems better independently. (Krakua, Nuparu, and all Ko-Matoran fit this. Also, weren't Vo-Matoran said to be really social?)

Women are biologically wired to be diplomats or mediators, while men are wired to be fighters and defenders. (Think of how violent Tahu is, while Gali is literally described as the team peacekeeper.)

Men detach their problem solving abilities from their emotions. Think of this as empathy versus efficiency; while a woman would try to make everyone happy, a man would disregard that in favor of logical thinking. (Ko-Matoran support this.)

Men are more reckless and straightforward. As one source put it, "men invented the game 'chicken', not women". (Le-Matoran certainly support this.)

HERE IS THE BIG ONE FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DISREGARD ORDE

Women are much better at recognizing, utilizing and interpreting emotions. Women are also instinctively sharper using their senses. Assuming that men don't utilize emotions and their senses as well, it would make sense that you wouldn't want a guy to be in control of senses and emotions. That right there is the big supporter of my argument; women are literally hardwired to utilize emotions and senses in the best way possible. So are Ce-Matoran.

Call me a sexist or whatever, I'm just stating facts.

SOURCES:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hope-relationships/201402/brain-differences-between-genders

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_psychology

http://www.2knowmyself.com/psychological_differences_between_men_and_women

http://www.crisiscounseling.org/Relationships/DifferencesMenWomen.htm

http://www.shavemagazine.com/women/10-Psychological-Differences-Between-Men-and-Women

• Upvote 7

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

Ding ding. You win.

Then what do you buy?

The difference between men and women (yes, it is a scientific fact that there is a difference) is mostly hormones. Guys have tostoserone which can lead to violence and hot-headedness, but it can also promote bravery. Gals have estrogen, giving them a greater sense of empathy (which is not "weak"); a valuable trait for Psionics.

In the real world, these generalities can be altered (but never completely suppressed) by the enviroment or genetics of the individual. However, matoran do not reproduce, therefore, the only difference males and females are these generalities which were pre-built into them: a matoran is refered to as a "he" or "she" based soley on these generalities, which probably has its roots with Velika (and marketing). Remember, the matoran are workers created by the Great Beings who had specific tasks in mind for each element and so each matoran was built accordingly. If girls are better Ga-matoran (whatever they were supposed to do), why make any boys? These are task-specific machines mind you.

P.S. Sure there's enough canon evidence for mono-gendered elements: Greg said so. Greg IS the canon.

EDIT:

Whoops, looks like Toa Vanson beat me to it while I was typing; did a better job too. *LIKE*

Edited by RahiSpeak
  • Upvote 3

-snippity snip-

ouch, just, ouch.

that is (no offense) some of the most repeated blather I have heard all the time about the "difference between sexes" and tbh, it's really only prevalent because of societal norms, not the other way around. why aren't there more male nurses? because "nurse" has historically been a job assigned to women, same for any of the few "women's jobs" (if it was an actual logical decision, there would be more "women's jobs" mind. ;t )

are there psychological differences between genders? abso-lutely, (otherwise gender wouldn't even really exist. after all.)

Are these differences enough to influence the occupation of the person? no, no they aren't. there are loads of male doctors, male elementary school teachers, female soldiers, female construction workers, you name it and basically any human being could theoretically do it. regardless of gender-at-birth.

P.S. Sure there's enough canon evidence for mono-gendered elements: Greg said so. Greg IS the canon.

sometimes the canon needs to learn when it messed up, canon isn't a static thing, y'know.

• Upvote 6

How many male nurses or elementary school teachers do you know?

Numerous. The pressure for those jobs to be female-oriented is very social in nature, not hard-wired brain things. For example, male nurses are often the target of derision for taking a "woman's" job.

There might be differences between genders, but they definitely are not as pronounced and prohibitive as you think they are. You'd be surprised by the large personality overlap between the two.

• Upvote 6

Numerous. The pressure for those jobs to be female-oriented is very social in nature, not hard-wired brain things. For example, male nurses are often the target of derision for taking a "woman's" job.

There might be differences between genders, but they definitely are not as pronounced and prohibitive as you think they are. You'd be surprised by the large personality overlap between the two.

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/Img/155048/0046139.gif ratio of teacher genders

http://beckerexhibits.wustl.edu/mowihsp/images/ChartPieA.jpg ratio of RN genders

Matoran don't have a broad enough choice of professions for social things to come into play. "Oh you're a Le-Matoran in Le-Metru? What will it be, pilot or chute operator?" I realized now that I came off as more harsh than I wanted to be. I was using the job example to make a point of my main point: fight or flight versus tend and befriend. Nurses and teachers tend and befriend.

-snippity snip-

ouch, just, ouch.

that is (no offense) some of the most repeated blather I have heard all the time about the "difference between sexes" and tbh, it's really only prevalent because of societal norms, not the other way around. why aren't there more male nurses? because "nurse" has historically been a job assigned to women, same for any of the few "women's jobs" (if it was an actual logical decision, there would be more "women's jobs" mind. ;t )

are there psychological differences between genders? abso-lutely, (otherwise gender wouldn't even really exist. after all.)

Are these differences enough to influence the occupation of the person? no, no they aren't. there are loads of male doctors, male elementary school teachers, female soldiers, female construction workers, you name it and basically any human being could theoretically do it. regardless of gender-at-birth.

sometimes the canon needs to learn when it messed up, canon isn't a static thing, y'know.

So think about WHY the social things came into play in the first place; because of physical and psychological reasons. Why have women historically been nurses? Because people realized that women are better at taking care of small children and sick people. Social standards are a human invention, keep in mind, and I'm talking about the FUNDAMENTAL reasons for choosing an element's gender based on its required mindset. Again, for example, women are naturally more keen on utilizing emotions, so it would make sense for the element that literally controls senses and emotions to be the gender that deals with them better.

Again, sorry if I come off as harsh, this is just the best way I know how to explain my idea.

Edited by Toa Vanson
  • Upvote 3

When I stop hiding in my room to solve problems, and suddenly become all empathetic, then I will believe. :P

In reality, though, that's a load of krahka legs. The real difference is that girls switch between the halves of their brain faster, going from emotion to logic like snap. Boys take longer to make the switch - they can get stuck in "logic mode" for hours, then "emotion mode" for an evening, then back to "logic mode". Whereas I switch every few minutes.

That's scientific - they confirmed that. The rest is a bunch of overgeneralizing by researchers who forgot to interview the female introverts.

Also, not sure how this is relevant to this topic? I mean we're talking about whether the elements are mono-gendered, not male/female differences. 

• Upvote 3

Also, not sure how this is relevant to this topic? I mean we're talking about whether the elements are mono-gendered, not male/female differences. 

tbh, you have to cut through the latter topic before certain people will listen to the former, baby steps and all that.

So think about WHY the social things came into play in the first place; because of physical and psychological reasons. Why have women historically been nurses? Because people realized that women are better at taking care of small children and sick people.

yeah it totally wasn't because woman have historically been the ones to have children or anything like that... :t

• Upvote 2

When I stop hiding in my room to solve problems, and suddenly become all empathetic, then I will believe. :P

In reality, though, that's a load of krahka legs. The real difference is that girls switch between the halves of their brain faster, going from emotion to logic like snap. Boys take longer to make the switch - they can get stuck in "logic mode" for hours, then "emotion mode" for an evening, then back to "logic mode". Whereas I switch every few minutes.

That's scientific - they confirmed that. The rest is a bunch of overgeneralizing by researchers who forgot to interview the female introverts.

The relevance is why some elements would be more suited to certain genders. Using your example, you see why an element that requires more hard thinking and logic would be better suited to a male tribe? Not saying that girls can't use logic and think, but like you said, men remain in logical mode for a long time. Again this is IN GENERAL, since the Great Beings probably studied some Bara Magna women and generalized them to make their female AI.

• Upvote 3

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/Img/155048/0046139.gif ratio of teacher genders

http://beckerexhibits.wustl.edu/mowihsp/images/ChartPieA.jpg ratio of RN genders

Matoran don't have a broad enough choice of professions for social things to come into play. "Oh you're a Le-Matoran in Le-Metru? What will it be, pilot or chute operator?" I realized now that I came off as more harsh than I wanted to be. I was using the job example to make a point of my main point: fight or flight versus tend and befriend. Nurses and teachers tend and befriend.

Those sure are some statistics. Don't see how they disprove that the disparity is far more societal than biological, but those sure are some statistics.

• Upvote 3

Toa Vanson, you need to stop now. If you continue to post about how a certain gender is 'obviously' predisposed to do whatever, in this or any other topic, you're losing Proto.

Everybody else: stop engaging with it. This post, not any other, is the last word.

• Upvote 3
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

Toa Vanson, you need to stop now. If you continue to post about how a certain gender is 'obviously' predisposed to do whatever, in this or any other topic, you're losing Proto.

Everybody else: stop engaging with it. This post, not any other, is the last word.

Sorry about that, admin. Apologies to anyone else who was offended by what I said, as well. Do you need me to edit my posts or something like that, Tufi?

• Upvote 1

This topic seems a bit confused about what it wants to be. On one hand, the title is a question about how things should be, but the topic is in S&T and the opening post asks for evidence in the story about element genders. It seems discussion is mainly toward the latter, though?

I would expect most people would approach a story with "normal people logic." If they need to use the logic of some of said story's more badly-written characters for things to make sense then that's a sign things are going badly.

~B~

• Upvote 4

I always thought using Great Being logic was simply the most efficient way to make the best of a bad situation.

Do mono-gendered tribes makes sense? Eh, not really. It also doesn't make sense for the Great Beings to hand over control of an entire element to one gender simply because the first dude who tried Psionics wasn't a great fit. But when you think about it, the Great Beings didn't see their creations as individuals capable of thought. They intended for all the MU lifeforms to be robots, essentially. So gender -to them- was simply an alternate programming that affected how an individual piece of nanotech was likely to act.

So they divvied up elements between genders, justifying it by saying that females fit one element better than males, or vice versa. Again, their definition of gender is different than ours. To the Great Beings, gender was more or less a certain type of programming that affected how an individual piece of nanotech was likely to act, because the MU beings were not supposed to be sapient.

As we all know, however, the MU beings did achieve sapience (we have Velika to thank for that), and as a result, gender was no longer just programming. Instead, it more closely resembled our definition of gender, which is made up of societal expectations and roles. The individual MU beings were no longer forced to act according to their gender, as the Great Beings originally intended.

No, it doesn't fix BIONICLE's gender imbalance, and the whole idea of "females are better suited to psionics because they're gentle" is still distasteful. However, at least this way there's an in-universe explanation for why the universe turned out that way. The real explanation, of course, is that BIONICLE's marketing dept. figured that boys ages six and up would less interested in a toyline with more than one female.

• Upvote 2

I prefer the tribes to be gender-dominant. Yes, most Ta-matoran are male, but you will (through programming quirks or simple chance) get one that behaves and identifies more along the lines of 'MU female'. This applies in reverse for the 'female' element.

And to avoid future sexism debates, perhaps we should specify 'MU Male' and 'MU female' to mean the gender templates used by the GBs, rather than physical sexes from IRL.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I always hated mono-gender tribes and the concept of it. Honestly, let there be female Toa of fire and female Toa of air and so on and so forth. Going back to "Great Being logic" is a poor cop out for bad writing and bad story boarding by the story team, since it's real human beings who designed this world and, when realizing they messed up, decided to pin the blame on badly written gods.

I'd have hoped the new iteration of the series would stem away from this line of thinking, but I suppose not if everything I've read is to be believed.

Either way, it's a product of bad writing that led into a really terrible discrepancy of male v female characters and it tossed female characters into one, tiny, category for the majority of the series (being Toa of water, thus always the blue set). It's not really good for general world building, or creating an immersive world.

It's why when people go on about changing canon genders of Toa, I'm for it, since it'd break the mono gendered tribes through the most iconic characters in the series -- the ones anyone who even remotely looks at the line first experience.

The crux of what I want to get across is this entire idea of "oh, the GB's did this" when no, they did not. The writers did. The very human writers did.

• Upvote 5

It's topics like these that cause the most fighting in the bionicle fandom, I'm surprised Bonesiii and the other administrators still let them get created.

Anyway, if there were a poll, I would vote no, its a stupid rule created by the writers who probably weren't thinking at all when they came up with the rule and didn't fix it.

Edited by Liuth

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

It's topics like these that cause the most fighting in the bionicle fandom, I'm surprised Bonesiii and the other administrators still let them get created.

...I probably should have thought harder about the can of worms I was opening. My apologies.

>sees topic name

>sees no poll

That's some misleading name.

My mistake...Topic title was bad, meant for this to be a discussion.

I always thought using Great Being logic was simply the most efficient way to make the best of a bad situation.

Do mono-gendered tribes makes sense? Eh, not really. It also doesn't make sense for the Great Beings to hand over control of an entire element to one gender simply because the first dude who tried Psionics wasn't a great fit. But when you think about it, the Great Beings didn't see their creations as individuals capable of thought. They intended for all the MU lifeforms to be robots, essentially. So gender -to them- was simply an alternate programming that affected how an individual piece of nanotech was likely to act.

So they divvied up elements between genders, justifying it by saying that females fit one element better than males, or vice versa. Again, their definition of gender is different than ours. To the Great Beings, gender was more or less a certain type of programming that affected how an individual piece of nanotech was likely to act, because the MU beings were not supposed to be sapient.

As we all know, however, the MU beings did achieve sapience (we have Velika to thank for that), and as a result, gender was no longer just programming. Instead, it more closely resembled our definition of gender, which is made up of societal expectations and roles. The individual MU beings were no longer forced to act according to their gender, as the Great Beings originally intended.

No, it doesn't fix BIONICLE's gender imbalance, and the whole idea of "females are better suited to psionics because they're gentle" is still distasteful. However, at least this way there's an in-universe explanation for why the universe turned out that way. The real explanation, of course, is that BIONICLE's marketing dept. figured that boys ages six and up would less interested in a toyline with more than one female.

I like this potential explanation...It does still, i think, leave open the oportunity for multi-gendered elements (Perhaps there would have been benifits to having the GB's ideas of male and female Le-Matoran running the transportation of metru nui, for example).

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

Making all the elements mono-gendered would most likely end all the debates, and make me happy.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'm of the opinion that bi-gendered elements would be best- it would allow for a more diverse cast, and you wouldn't get the sense that, say, all Toa of Air were copies of Lewa. It also allows them to toggle the ratios of new teams to account for changes in the audience's preferences. Literally nothing is gained from having monogender elements, save for having a quick way to determine a new character's gender if the designers are too lazy to make that clear in other ways- it just results in an over-reliance on stereotypes and lack of diversity within elements.

I think it's worth giving Greg some credit for writing an in-universe explanation for it, but not enough was done to establish that the in-universe model was incredibly flawed. In our world, it's a thing born of laziness from a long-gone story team, and I find it kind of amazing that it persisted throughout ten years of story- even the Glatorian storyline still had the only woman being coloured blue out of force of habit. When you look at the success of things like Avatar:The Last Airbender and its derivative works, with a diverse cast and huge following of both genders, I can't help but wonder if the mismanagement of gender dynamics might have contributed to the death of Gen 1. 

• Upvote 4

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I vote "bi-gendered" purely because of my headcanoned Fem!Tahu and Fem!Pohatu.

As for why I headcanon Fem!Tahu, it's the same reason that I beg Saban to let there be a female Red Ranger throughout the whole season.

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

My own rationalization, if we must accept the element gender restrictions, is that after they made the Av-Matoran, the Great Beings streamlined the AI into two alternative structures, each with part of the Av-Matoran's, and then chose to assign one structure or the other to each element. These AI structures evolved into genders after the Matoran became sentient.

• Upvote 1

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Sort of agree with the above, though I tend to think that the GBs modelled some of the structure/programming off male and female Agori brains, so the gendered aspects were somewhat intentional, and then because they were socially regressive old fuddy-duddies, the GBs decided to distribute the programs based on what they thought would be best for the jobs that each Matoran type was designed to do. They also decided that "male" brains were generally more useful for most jobs, hence the overabundance of male Matoran. 

• Upvote 1

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

>this thread

>most gender threads

Facedesk.gif

i'm assuming you're referring to the lengths people will go to to try and claim there's nothing wrong with the ratios and that it would be somehow more wrong to provide equal representation and realistic gender proportioning in media like this, since that's the only way i can read your post that makes sense, anyway. :t

• Upvote 2