TTV Interviews Merlin Mann - Part 1

tn_15_05_21_ttv-merlin-mann-interview-pa

You've probably heard about Merlin Mann, the writer of the BIONICLE web animations. TTV (The Three Virtues) had the privilege to interview him and while much of it isn't even about BIONICLE, it was a very interesting read. Of course, there is some BIONICLE talk in it as well and this is just the first half of the interview, so there is more to come. Merlin addresses the creative process behind the animations and even the unfortunate leaks. You can listen to it

or read the transcript here.

View the full article

• Upvote 1

TTV is lord.

Not really.

While I'm not a fan of the 2015 animations at all, it's interesting hearing more about Mann's career and development, and how that fed into the creation of the animations.

Edited by Jam Pot Studios
  • Upvote 2

Making brickfilms since 2007.

Check out my latest animations:

, and Avengers Tower!

The first episode of Nuva,

Magnetic Mania, is now live! Check it out!

burning_logo.jpg

I sure hope he's right about how this was testing the waters and the success should lead to bigger things next year. Anyhow, at least he sort of acknowledged how insanely low-budget and scant the media output this year has been. Good interview, Disney stuff was definitely interesting, too bad you didn't talk about Bionicle more but it was ok.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I read the transcript, and it was quite illuminating. It is clear from the interview that LEGO is putting a lot of effort into trying to find out what works with Bionicle. I especially appreciated that he acknowledged the continuously evolving nature of the 2015 line, it demonstrates that they're willing to continue experimenting and refining the project to see what fits.

It was a refreshingly honest and eye-opening interview. Can't wait for more from this team! 

Hahaha, I like Mesonak specifically for his humorous pessimism. XD

Oh thanks! :P

It was an absolutely wonderful interview. Merlin Mann's a great guy and the talk gave me great confidence (as if I needed more after NYCC) that despite all the flaws with BIONICLE 2015, the team has a great respect for the line and wants to see it succeed. Part 2 has a lot more interesting BIONICLE discussion and that should be releasing later today.

-Mesonak

• Upvote 4

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

Yeah, his career is interesting. I had no idea he had previously worked on some books. I guess that's why he's the writer for the animations.

Oh, poor LoSS...

Wait what about the Lord of Skull Spiders? What do you know!?
  • Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Yeah, his career is interesting. I had no idea he had previously worked on some books. I guess that's why he's the writer for the animations.

Oh, poor LoSS...

I don't know anything new. I was just stating my sympathy for what was stated about him and his "label" by Merlin at the end of the first part.

Good interview, Disney stuff was definitely interesting, too bad you didn't talk about Bionicle more but it was ok.

There's way more Bionicle stuff in Part 2! We had to split it because of length. I'm finishing up the transcript right now, and the video should be up soon, so look forward to that!

• Upvote 2

Oh, poor LoSS...

I don't know anything new. I was just stating my sympathy for what was stated about him and his "label" by Merlin at the end of the first part.

Yeah I watched the Pod Cast after seeing your post and heard that near the end. So not nice. The Lord of Skull Spiders has had it rough enough as is without people kicking it while its down. 

Good interview, Disney stuff was definitely interesting, too bad you didn't talk about Bionicle more but it was ok.

There's way more Bionicle stuff in Part 2! We had to split it because of length. I'm finishing up the transcript right now, and the video should be up soon, so look forward to that!

Watched that part too. goes into much greater detail about Bionicle and the berating of poor Lord of Skull Spiders.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png