Strangest Sets

Xabla

But Time Cruisers were really cool.

Strange=/=bad.

I'd say it's a tie between Galidor (not bad for what it was, but hardly within LEGO's typical sphere) and Znaps (an attempt to rip-off K'nex?), both evolutionary cul-de-sacs (though Galidor's connection system lived on through Knight's Kingdom II.) The latter has, astoundingly for any non-juniorized theme produced within the last two decades, faded into obscurity.

Edited by Quisoves Potoo

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Definitely Time Cruisers in my eyes.  Strange in a bad way, too; they didn't seem to have any unifying design, instead just having a bunch of anachronistic details put together.

I also remember the "off-road" RC TECHNIC sets that were meant as "outdoor" toys.  Their pieces were all different and the concept of a primarily outdoor LEGO toy is unusual.

OpAXNpl.jpg

ANY Time Cruisers set. 

Ha Ha I liked Time Cruisers. Never got one. I wondered why they ended it.  :P

ANY Time Cruisers set. 

But Time Cruisers were really cool.

I vote this one: http://brickset.com/sets/6882-1/Walking-Astro-Grappler

I thought all the Spongebob sets were weird. Just saying...

Namely this one:http://brickset.com/sets/3826-1/Build-A-Bob

Lol I wanted Build a Bob because it seemed like a cool build.

cringe

It may have seemed like a cool build, but at the same time I find it creepy-lookin'

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

It may have seemed like a cool build, but at the same time I find it creepy-lookin'

I second this. That thing is the stuff of nightmares! D:

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I think it's the eyes...

• Upvote 2

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I think it's the eyes...

Definitely the eyes.

• Upvote 2

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Definitely Time Cruisers in my eyes.  Strange in a bad way, too; they didn't seem to have any unifying design, instead just having a bunch of anachronistic details put together.

Isn't that their unifying design?

Time Cruisers' design style was like The Lego Movie, except that the The Lego Movie made it work.

• Upvote 3

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Isn't that their unifying design?

Time Cruisers' design style was like The Lego Movie, except that the The Lego Movie made it work.

That's not to say Time Cruisers wasn't good in its own crazy way, though.:P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

The Tarakava are strange to me. They look nothing like lizards and they're freaking boxers, how can anyone not find them strange?

Given their upright, slightly hunched posture, aquatic origins, and punching fists, it wouldn't surprise me if they were based more on "kaiju" like Godzilla than on real lizards. Obviously, they're more spindly than Godzilla, but that could be a practical consideration so their arms have more reach and their torsos can function as a handle.

• Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...

Weirdest sets/lines:

Mixels.

The lego movie sets.

Time cruisers.

Chima.

Fabuland.

How could you forget Galidor? It's exponentially weirder than all of the themes you mentioned.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Weirdest sets/lines:

Mixels.

The lego movie sets.

Time cruisers.

Chima.

Fabuland.

How could you forget Galidor? It's exponentially weirder than all of the themes you mentioned.

I try and forget Galidor existed, sorry.

I have a few Galidor sets(Nick, The Egg, that girl, blue alien, green alien, the villain, and the robot). Nick and the villain are the only ones that are still togeter(the rest are lost in my closet somewhere).

The surprise was vampires!

The Hypno Cruiser is still my second-favorite time machine (after Doc Brown's DeLorean) in all of fiction. I didn't get it as a kid, but in college, I nabbed two MISB editions of it. I built it and can confirm that fascination and appreciation is still valid.

Back on topic, I thought the strangest sets had to come from the Galidor. Those figures of the red monster with many appendage (Ooyni?) were weird regardless of whether Lego produced it or not. Conceptually, I find the "Elves" theme rather strange as a whole. I know in mythology, elves take on different forms, but I never associated them as pastel, princess-friendly flamboyant fairies. I suppose the strong sales of the "Friends" theme ("I'll be there for youuuuuuu!!!") kind of pushed Elves into being another girl-targeted concept, but the end result was still a bit off-putting to me. Oh well.

Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

The Hypno Cruiser is still my second-favorite time machine (after Doc Brown's DeLorean) in all of fiction. I didn't get it as a kid, but in college, I nabbed two MISB editions of it. I built it and can confirm that fascination and appreciation is still valid.

Back on topic, I thought the strangest sets had to come from the Galidor. Those figures of the red monster with many appendage (Ooyni?) were weird regardless of whether Lego produced it or not. Conceptually, I find the "Elves" theme rather strange as a whole. I know in mythology, elves take on different forms, but I never associated them as pastel, princess-friendly flamboyant fairies. I suppose the strong sales of the "Friends" theme ("I'll be there for youuuuuuu!!!") kind of pushed Elves into being another girl-targeted concept, but the end result was still a bit off-putting to me. Oh well.

Elves was definitely conceptualized as a girls' theme... nothing "pushed it into" being a girl-targeted concept.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Elves was definitely conceptualized as a girls' theme... nothing "pushed it into" being a girl-targeted concept.

Well, I don't work for Lego and am not privy to their plans in the Futura division, so yeah, I made an assumption. I made that statement because I vaguely remember reading rumors (before "Friends" was announced) that a Castle-like subtheme was in the pipeline that would focus on elves (like the dwarves and orcs from the late 2000s). There was even that Lego Elf warrior from one of the collectible minifigure line-ups, so that added fuel to the Medieval Elf subtheme. Therefore, I found it strange to turn out to be a girl-targeted theme years later.

Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

Well, I don't work for Lego and am not privy to their plans in the Futura division, so yeah, I made an assumption. I made that statement because I vaguely remember reading rumors (before "Friends" was announced) that a Castle-like subtheme was in the pipeline that would focus on elves (like the dwarves and orcs from the late 2000s). There was even that Lego Elf warrior from one of the collectible minifigure line-ups, so that added fuel to the Medieval Elf subtheme. Therefore, I found it strange to turn out to be a girl-targeted theme years later.

As I understand it, the "Elflands" illustration from that Castle featurette in LEGO Club Magazine was just that — an illustration, not based on any actual product concepts at the time (I can't remember where it is that I read this, though). Even if there had been plans to develop a full elf faction, that generation of Castle has been over for years, and there's no indication that the Elves theme that exists today was developed from that concept. Rather, it was designed to follow up on the LEGO Group's newfound success with girls and correct the lack of an in-house fantasy adventure theme for girls.

When the first news of a 2015 "elves" theme leaked, there were rumors in some AFOL circles that it would be a Castle spin-off, but those turned out to be unfounded.

• Upvote 2

I'd say the Kek Powerizer if simply for the fact they took something from Galidor that essentially would have been a torso piece and said "Hey, let's make a large electronic set out of it that can talk back to the TV show"

Not to say it isn't cool, but man is it goofy looking. Not to mention the weird differences in what box it was packaged in depending on where you buy it? There was a standard version that was a larger looking box and then one with a huge side portion for holding the included poster. Still not quite sure what that's about to be honest.

The only other thing I'd find odd about the Galidor sets is all the stuff that never showed up in the show and were probably from concept art and ideas.

I'm also casting my vote for Gadunka because it's been out for around eight years now and I'm still not over how weirdly designed it is and how irrelevant Gadunka was.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I'm also casting my vote for Gadunka because it's been out for around eight years now and I'm still not over how weirdly designed it is and how irrelevant Gadunka was.

How can you say that? It had the most charm of all of the sea creatures of the deep. Plus, you know, big sea monster with teeth to add to the creepy undersea atmosphere. CHOMP. 

It's like saying the 2001 Rahi were irrelevant. G's no weirder or irrelevant than any of them.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

How can you say that? It had the most charm of all of the sea creatures of the deep. Plus, you know, big sea monster with teeth to add to the creepy undersea atmosphere. CHOMP. 

It's like saying the 2001 Rahi were irrelevant. G's no weirder or irrelevant than any of them.

I meant more in the story line aspect of Gadunka being there once, and then not really after? I enjoy the set a lot actually, since it had a fairly unique build. I just feel like Gadunka should have appeared a little more than a few scenes in one book (if I remember correctly). Neat concept for a set.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

This. Literally just a 2x3 brick with some trans-clear cones on it. And it's licensed.

I wonder how many of those sold... :P

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )