Strangest Sets

Xabla

This. Literally just a 2x3 brick with some trans-clear cones on it. And it's licensed.

I wonder how many of those sold... :P

I think that may well have been a promotional freebie or gift-with-purchase (I don't know for sure, since distribution details for sets that old can be sketchy). If that was the case, "selling" wouldn't be a problem.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This. Literally just a 2x3 brick with some trans-clear cones on it. And it's licensed.

I wonder how many of those sold... :P

I think that may well have been a promotional freebie or gift-with-purchase (I don't know for sure, since distribution details for sets that old can be sketchy). If that was the case, "selling" wouldn't be a problem.

But...why is that a thing? Just sayin'...

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I would agree that a number of Lego's licensed themes over the years have been strange, but I won't dwell on them, because once they chose the theme, they had no control over the strangeness they were working with.  :P

Time Cruisers was easily one of the strangest themes from my day, although growing up I didn't mind it and thought the variety of pieces was refreshing.  I never owned any of the sets, though.  :P  I think they would have been as fun or more fun to play with as more cohesive themes of the day.  It would have helped to have some Space, Pirates, or Castle sets for the Time Cruisers to explore.  :)

My vote for strangest non-licensed Lego theme will go to the brief, short-lived, and obscure original Aquaraiders line, though.  While it gave us a cool trans-neon green Aquazone helmet, it had some strange aspects that I think I recognized even back then.

The most frustrating part about the Aquaraiders was that, while their aim was to collect crystals like every other Aquazone theme of the '90's, unlike every other Aquazone theme, they had no antagonists.  :P  I see a shark in their most expensive set, but by that time we were conditioned to think that the more nefarious of the Aquazone's inhabitants were usually in cahoots with the sea predators anyway.  :P  (See: Aquasharks, Stingrays.)  Trying to collect crystals for power definitely isn't a lacking backstory compared to many other '90's Space themes (Ice Planet, Exploriens, Spyrius, who each had at least a general purpose, with the chance to antagonize fellow Space themes as the imaginative builder saw fit), but the fact that the two other Aquazone themes of the time had enemies to compete with just leaves the Aquaraiders feeling shallow.

Another obvious thing is the small size of the theme; with only three sets, it didn't have a lot of room for fleshing out, I guess.

Also strange is the sort of shark-motif that the designers tried.  I guess they were trying to follow up the Aquashark cockpit design, but the question remains: what animal were those mean eyes trying to convey?  :P  I admit that the eyes make the sets distinctive and give them some character, but they still make the sets a little too strangely human for my tastes!  :P

The color scheme of black, green, yellow, and trans-neon green is also pretty strange.  It's not that bad, and I guess it works (so does the dark gray on those minifigs! :) ), but I think there are just too few colors.  It looks like there are some red and blue Spyrius tiles, which add detail but seem really out of place.  :P  For such a short-lived theme, we can't blame Lego for not printing unique tiles just for it.  But I wish they had toyed around with adding another color to change things up.  They couldn't have used the dark gray from the minifigs (which does a good job of making them match the shark!  :) ), but maybe another bright color would have worked.  I think green was probably a welcome color for MOCing back then, though.

The Aquaraiders always felt like a strange spinoff theme that didn't really have a place in the rest of the Aquazone, but at least the drilling and bulldozing somewhere besides Earth's surface probably led Lego to come up with (the eerily similarly-named) Rock Raiders just a few years later.  :)

(My runner-up was Robo-Force.  :P )

The most frustrating part about the Aquaraiders was that, while their aim was to collect crystals like every other Aquazone theme of the '90's, unlike every other Aquazone theme, they had no antagonists.  :P  I see a shark in their most expensive set, but by that time we were conditioned to think that the more nefarious of the Aquazone's inhabitants were usually in cahoots with the sea predators anyway.  :P  (See: Aquasharks, Stingrays.)  Trying to collect crystals for power definitely isn't a lacking backstory compared to many other '90's Space themes (Ice Planet, Exploriens, Spyrius, who each had at least a general purpose, with the chance to antagonize fellow Space themes as the imaginative builder saw fit), but the fact that the two other Aquazone themes of the time had enemies to compete with just leaves the Aquaraiders feeling shallow.

Another obvious thing is the small size of the theme; with only three sets, it didn't have a lot of room for fleshing out, I guess.

As I understand it, the Aquaraiders were meant to be antagonists to both the Aquanauts AND the Aquasharks: a band of equal-opportunity pilferers who stole crystals from both factions. The reason it was so small was because the Aquaraiders sets were exclusive to North America, kind of like some the Unitron and Roboforce themes from LEGO Space or the Dark Forest theme from LEGO Castle.

The reason it was so small was because the Aquaraiders sets were exclusive to North America, kind of like some the Unitron and Roboforce themes from LEGO Space or the Dark Forest theme from LEGO Castle.

Oh, thanks!  I never knew that; that explains things.  :)  That's interesting that LEGO did that.

The equal-opportunity interpretation makes sense.  Still, with the drilling equipment, it might have been fitting for them to have added some little rock structures (or a conspicuous BURP  :P ) to "hide" the crystals in until they were drilled/found.  Then they could steal crystals but still have a unique way of finding them.  Then again, random little structures are always a little strange themselves, so maybe Lego really just couldn't please me on this one.  :P

I wish they would've released more sets from that show; It could've been so much cooler than it actually was! They could've totally made the Fire Nation airships, attack vehicles, and an Appa and many many other things...but they didn't :(

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Already mentioned, but definitely Scala. WHY.

Update: This nightmare was brought to my attention.

Edited by Meiko
  • Upvote 2

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I don't know what to say...

Are those actually legos? or what?

yes

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

does this count?

a5VsB.jpg

PNoxC8b.gif

that-a is all from me

R.I.P.

Me

1998 - 2015

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I remember when lego made overly specialized parts. Also, I found their "fiber optic" kit weird, what's so cool about them?

Do you mind showing us (or just me) said parts?

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I remember when lego made overly specialized parts. Also, I found their "fiber optic" kit weird, what's so cool about them?

A lot of sets from the early 2000's are a good example, Galidor being one of the better ones like said above. You could also debate many BIONICLE pieces such as weapons, Piraka spines, and so on.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

A lot of sets from the early 2000's are a good example, Galidor being one of the better ones like said above. You could also debate many BIONICLE pieces such as weapons, Piraka spines, and so on.

weapons, Piraka spines, Piraka weapons...

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...