Bionicle meme/injoke research

KYM Jacob

Due to the recent gain popularity of Bionicle, I was looking into doing so research for the site Know Your Meme in regards to Bionicle related memes and injokes. Unfortunately, I have not really kept up with the community much, so I have missed a few things. While I have a general idea for some of them, I am either missing some information (often about it's true origin or need help in showing spread) and was hoping that coming to a group of people dedicated to Bionicle might be able to clear up a few things, and make it more clear for anyone else curious about them.

Please note, I'm looking for Bionicle based memes/ injokes. Popular BZP fads that had nothing inherently to do with Bionicle (such as 92% of people signatures) are not really what I'm looking for.

Toa Voriki

• Origin: using google search by specific time, the oldest post I found of Toa Voriki was on a Neoseeker thread about a Bionicle add on story, posted on January 1st, 2002. I've read a post on Eurobricks that claimed the origin of Voriki to 2001 on BZCommunity. While the exact origin may be difficult to pin down, fortunately a surviving 2002 webpage on archimatrix.com still exists which provides his "backstory". More clear signs of his spread, as well as clear origin would be useful.

Tuggles

• Origin: Created by BZP user Authraw in 2005. Love them or hate them, the were very popular for a time. As Biosector01 put it: "(a) well known fad resulted in the making of literally hundreds of “cute MOCs”, which many attribute to Authraw’s Tuggles." Unfortunately, all these old threads were lost. While there are still a few files on brickshelf that have tuggles and tuggle parodies, including Authaw's original, these do a poor job of showing spread. If anyone happened to have screen caps, or know of some tangible way to show spread of this (such as if tuggles spread to other sites), please let me know. 

Bonkles

• Origin: this one I have no Idea on. when I first saw it, it was after the 2015 rumors had surfaced, so I assumed it had originated with that. However, after doing some digging, I found at least one Tumblr post from 2012 using the term. This one should be the easiest to find spread of, as it seems to be the most currently popular one, but the actual origin of the term would be nice to find out.

Good guy/ Bad Guy

• Origin: BZPower first reported the sets known as "Good Guy" and "Bad Guy" on August 10th 2006 being promotional Bionicle polybags. While they were well know to having uninspired builds, and even less inspired names, they seem to have increased in popularity recently, gaining a sort of ironic fandom. People have made surprisingly good fanart of them, as well as photoshoped images with them. If anyone knows when this kind of stuff originated, that would be useful. 

Others

• The ones listed are the biggest ones I can think of. While there are other smaller injokes that I can think of , some new and some old (I didn't slip, the plushies, Who ate all the pies?, the Piraka Rap) none of them really hit me as being particularly notable. However, if you know one I have not listed, or think that one I thought was not notable really is notable, please let me know, and try to support why you think that way. 

• Upvote 2

Does Omega Tahu count as well as Tahu's "I can feel the power!" quote?

• Upvote 2

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

Bonkles

• Origin: this one I have no Idea on. when I first saw it, it was after the 2015 rumors had surfaced, so I assumed it had originated with that. However, after doing some digging, I found at least one Tumblr post from 2012 using the term. This one should be the easiest to find spread of, as it seems to be the most currently popular one, but the actual origin of the term would be nice to find out.

I can shed at least a little light on this one; the term was coined by BZPower member Dokuma (not sure when, though) and popularized by the Tumblr blog The Lunacy of Legoman Values in early 2012.

• Upvote 3

Didn't Toa Voriki end up who a lot of people were thinking the "seventh toa" was, or was that a big joke? I remember hearing of him in my younger years

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

Didn't Toa Voriki end up who a lot of people were thinking the "seventh toa" was, or was that a big joke? I remember hearing of him in my younger years

The picture went around causing hype that a seventh toa would come in late 2002 or so.

If I remember correctly, Lego made the design of the seventh toa into a contest.

You know, so many things on TTV (especially gameplays) could be in jokes, but they never catch on. I vote "WHISPER CLUB!!!" and "The slow rolling Kolhii ball"  :P

You forgot Applego

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Also, Shredder Claws.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Nuva boobs.

Kronkiwongi.

Mantax is awesome because _____________.

Oh Yeah Mantax....Reminds me of the old-man tax.

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

The Fanbase's Excitment became a thing

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

While I'm glad a lot of people responded, I really would like some evidence of spread as well as the name. I understand that some of this is hard to come by now a days, but it often does much more than simply a name.

@Dina Saruyama that information helps quite a bit. The tumblr post I refereed to in my original post was actually from that specific blog.

@KingLatios Nuva I guess I missed Omega Tahu. Looking I'm seeing two different origins, one being from a proported "leak" that was fake, and another being from a dream from Venom from TTV's .interview with GregF. Which one is the correct one?

I forgot about Tahu's "Can feel the power" and did find a bit looking for it (things that originated from official media are much easier to find the rue origin on thankfully.)

I guess I'll address the others individually

Don the Ta-Matoran: I've never heard of this one. Being the "newest meme" it might be better to see if it develops or not

Rahkshi heads: is there anything in particular about them? is it just commonly used in M.O.C.s or is there something else?

Nuva Boobs: I did remember this M.O.C. trend awhile ago. Not really certain if these trends really count as a meme, but it was/is defiantly a "thing" Any clue as to when it started to become common? (I'm assuming it would have to be during or before 2002)

Kronkiwongi: I guess I'm not seeing the connection specifically to Bionicle and this. Unless there is something in particular I missed, it's for LEGO in general.

Mantax Facts: I remember the video that had this originally, but it's been years. While personally felt like a foced joke parody of Chuck Norris jokes,  I have no doubts that people did run with it. Is there any remaining evidence that it was a thing?

I didn't slip: Going back, I did find a bit more spread of this one. I knew that it would get some usage as soon as I saw Quest for the Golden Masks 3.

TTV stuff: I'm not familiar with this as much. If there is anything that did catch on, feel free to expand on it. Stuff that was funny but didn't really catch on really isn't a meme.

Beware My stinger tail: around 2009 I was starting to fall out of the Bionicle community, so I guess I missed this one's popularity online (thankfully, the Transformers Wiki, TV tropes and a stegosaurs image on DeviantArt all use this, so it has at least some spread out of the fandom, which is good.) Does anyone know the exact origin of this phrase. For some reason I associated it with the Glatorian Arena game, but maybe this one in the Bio for Vorox on the Bioncle website? If anyone remembers where exactly this quote came from let me know. Neither of the Bionicle wikis seem to have this quote on his page.

VahkiPower: this one seems a little too specific to BZPower. It also didn't seem to have a huge impact on anything, at least as far as I remember.

Old-Man Tax: I've never heard of this one. Is there anything to show what it was about? Googling it doesn't produce any relevant results.

The Bionic Man: While it is a funny commercial,  is there anything outside of the one video that shows spread of it?

Greg controls all: I've seen quite a bit of stuff referring to GregF in a joking manner in general. is there anything in particular about "Greg controls all" that is notably different from this?

Hype Train: this has been around long before it was used in the Bionicle fandom.

Spooky Scary Skull Villains: it's really more of a variant of the already well know "2Spooky" meme.

Shredder Claws: Like with rahkshi head, is there anything in particular about them? The debate on if they were a hand held weapon or actual fingers? The usage of them in M.O.C.s?

Plushies: While I know these were huge, is there much remaining evidence that shows how big they really were?

Edited by KYM Jacob

While I'm glad a lot of people responded, I really would like some evidence of spread as well as the name. I understand that some of this is hard to come by now a days, but it often does much more than simply a name.

@Dina Saruyama that information helps quite a bit. The tumblr post I refereed to in my original post was actually from that specific blog.

@KingLatios Nuva I guess I missed Omega Tahu. Looking I'm seeing two different origins, one being from a proported "leak" that was fake, and another being from a dream from Venom from TTV's .interview with GregF. Which one is the correct one?

I forgot about Tahu's "Can feel the power" and did find a bit looking for it (things that originated from official media are much easier to find the rue origin on thankfully.)

Don the Ta-Matoran: I've never heard of this one. Being the "newest meme" it might be better to see if it develops or not

Rahkshi heads: is there anything in particular about them? is it just commonly used in M.O.C.s or is there something else?

Nuva Boobs: I did remember this M.O.C. trend awhile ago. Not really certain if these trends really count as a meme, but it was/is defiantly a "thing" Any clue as to when it started to become common? (I'm assuming it would have to be during or before 2002)

Kronkiwongi: I guess I'm not seeing the connection specifically to Bionicle and this. Unless there is something in particular I missed, it's for LEGO in general.

Mantax Facts: I remember the video that had this originally, but it's been years. While personally felt like a foced joke parody of Chuck Norris jokes,  I have no doubts that people did run with it. Is there any remaining evidence that it was a thing?

I didn't slip: Going back, I did find a bit more spread of this one. I knew that it would get some usage as soon as I saw Quest for the Golden Masks 3.

TTV stuff: I'm not familiar with this as much. If there is anything that did catch on, feel free to expand on it. Stuff that was funny but didn't really catch on really isn't a meme.

Beware My stinger tail: around 2009 I was starting to fall out of the Bionicle community, so I guess I missed this one's popularity online (thankfully, the Transformers Wiki, TV tropes and a stegosaurs image on DeviantArt all use this, so it has at least some spread out of the fandom, which is good.) Does anyone know the exact origin of this phrase. For some reason I associated it with the Glatorian Arena game, but maybe this one in the Bio for Vorox on the Bioncle website? If anyone remembers where exactly this quote came from let me know. Neither of the Bionicle wikis seem to have this quote on his page.

VahkiPower: this one seems a little too specific to BZPower. It also didn't seem to have a huge impact on anything, at least as far as I remember.

Old-Man Tax: I've never heard of this one. Is there anything to show what it was about? Googling it doesn't produce any relevant results.

The Bionic Man: While it is a funny commercial,  is there anything outside of the one video that shows spread of it?

Greg controls all: I've seen quite a bit of stuff referring to GregF in a joking manner in general. is there anything in particular about "Greg controls all" that is notably different from this?

Hype Train: this has been around long before it was used in the Bionicle fandom.

Spooky Scary Skull Villains: it's really more of a variant of the already well know "2Spooky" meme.

Shredder Claws: Like with rahkshi head, is there anything in particular about them? The debate on if they were a hand held weapon or actual fingers? The usage of them in M.O.C.s?

Plushies: While I know these were huge, is there much remaining evidence that shows how big they really were?

I think old-man tax was an inside joke from ttv's review of Mantax. It appeared in youtube comments so figured it was a meme :/...It's basically Mantax

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

The Greg thing also has to do with the fighting w/ canon, and every one asking him for everything, sand just the fact that Gen1 gets even more confusing.

Bionic Man was on BZP and TTV for a while. 

No idea what Rakshi Heads or Vahki Power is.

cringe

The Greg thing also has to do with the fighting w/ canon, and every one asking him for everything, sand just the fact that Gen1 gets even more confusing.

Vahki Power refers to an April Fools joke back in the day, I think. BZPower became VahkiPower and Hapori Tohu's head became Dume's mask, etc. It was a hacking hoax. I'm pretty sure Rahkshi Heads is a reference to the use of Rahkshi heads on female MOCs, like Roodaka. I'm not sure how anatomical we can be on here, but they serve the same purpose as Nuva shoulder armor. Did I get it right?  :P

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Vahki Power refers to an April Fools joke back in the day, I think. BZPower became VahkiPower and Hapori Tohu's head became Dume's mask, etc. It was a hacking hoax. I'm pretty sure Rahkshi Heads is a reference to the use of Rahkshi heads on female MOCs, like Roodaka. I'm not sure how anatomical we can be on here, but they serve the same purpose as Nuva shoulder armor. Did I get it right?  :P

Think so. Roodaka make sense, and I see how some would be immature about it.

• Upvote 1

cringe