Custom Masks

Toa Nekar

So I have been looking for inspiration for custom bionicle masks lately(I'm talking all new masks, not repaints), so feel free to post pictures and discuss custom masks below! What methods do you prefer? 3d printed, clay, or the ol' cut and superglue method(my personal favorite)?

VV PM me if you have any of these masks! VV

6lyjLOL.png

Cut'n'superglue always works well. If you need inspiration, an Akaku/Akaku Nuva eyepiece looks good on just about any mask, first pic related. You can always just combine two masks, too, like the second picture. I'll post pictures of my first custom mask attempt tomorrow. 

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/259/1/a/bionicle___customization_custom_mask_by_lauritz2001dk-d6a49te.jpg

http://images.mocpages.com/user_images/70479/1349905786m_SPLASH.jpg

Edited by Toa Vanson

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

All three methods have pros & cons, but I can't decide which method YOU want to use, only you can. 

• 3D Printing

+Doesn't require damaging precious kanohi

+Allows more freedom with creation

-Incredibly difficult to learn

-Very time consuming

• Clay

+Easy to learn

+Easy to purchase materials

+Tastes delicious (not really, but how would I know?)

-Difficult to manipulate

-Extra care must be taken to prevent the clay drying out when not in use

-To get smooth results, a lot of tools and equipment will need to be bought. 

• Cutting & Gluing

+ Plenty of tutorials

+ Tools are easy to get

- The process requires damaging of precious Kanohi that may no longer be sold on Bricklink.

- Process is irreversible, if you change your mind or mess up a kanohi, you can't fix it. 

• Upvote 2

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

All three methods have pros & cons, but I can't decide which method YOU want to use, only you can. 

• 3D Printing

+Doesn't require damaging precious kanohi

+Allows more freedom with creation

-Incredibly difficult to learn

-Very time consuming

• Clay

+Easy to learn

+Easy to purchase materials

+Tastes delicious (not really, but how would I know?)

-Difficult to manipulate

-Extra care must be taken to prevent the clay drying out when not in use

-To get smooth results, a lot of tools and equipment will need to be bought. 

• Cutting & Gluing

+ Plenty of tutorials

+ Tools are easy to get

- The process requires damaging of precious Kanohi that may no longer be sold on Bricklink.

- Process is irreversible, if you change your mind or mess up a kanohi, you can't fix it. 

Don't forget, 3D printing is HIGHLY expensive.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

You could also (in theory of course) use clay to make molds and then use those molds to make masks out of play-doh or some other substance?

Also, if you're very technically skilled, carve a mask out of wood?

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

You could also (in theory of course) use clay to make molds and then use those molds to make masks out of play-doh or some other substance?

The precision that would take is I'm pretty sure impossible by humans, in order for the mask to be compatible with actual figures that is.

Edited by Forgeta

|

The precision that would take is I'm pretty sure impossible by humans, in order for the mask to be compatible with actual figures that is.

Which is why I said "in theory" :P but in all seriousness, there's gotta be other ways to make masks besides those 3 that the OP listed...

Edited by Evergrey_Toa
  • Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Which is why I said "in theory" :P but in all seriousness, there's gotta be other ways to make masks besides those 3 that the OP listed...

True, true... though 3D printing in my opinion is the best way to go, even though it is highly expensive. 

|

If you need inspiration, google my religion. Shamanism. We where masks to conceal our faces from dark spirits as well as channel our energy. The mask I where in the afterlife is a black mask resembling a raven, with painted feathers and strings with beads. Shamans have masks mainly of their spirit animal. Bear, wolf, eagle, otter, etc; try seeing what looks best for you.

True, true... though 3D printing in my opinion is the best way to go, even though it is highly expensive. 

The printer (depending on what you need) is expensive.  However a 1 kg spool of filament for it can provide you with enough to make 392 chess pieces. (http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2012/02/24/a-matter-of-scales-how-much-can-you-print-with-a-single-1kg-spool/) Depending on the kanohi you are making you can have about 250+ masks from a 1 kg spool of filament which is usually priced at $20-$40 USD.  (The price of filament depends on the quality of it.)

Back to the topic:

For inspiration try something different; maybe scales, geodesics, or something like a small slightly organic tiki mask.  Also to help out your creativity for your designs: https://creativewhack.com/product.php?productid=10&cat=1&page=1 ←I have one myself; very helpful for my creativity.

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

Don't forget, 3D printing is HIGHLY expensive.

3D printing is getting way more common, assuming you mean plastic filament printing like makerbot style. Shapeways is extremely overpriced for their service IMO, but lots of colleges are starting to get regular 3D printers, maybe check with them and see if you could borrow it for your prints.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

I have one of those miniature 3D printers. It's about 1.5x1x1 feet, and it takes the plastic filament string stuff. Would that work for Kanohi?

I have seen people do it.

Now I'm curious as to the cost of such a device  :evil:

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Eh trial and error mostly as with any molding practice. I think once you got a handle on it the biggest problem I would think is protecting the mask from damage. I mean splinters termites, water damage, wood rot? I would love to see a mask made out of wood. Be really cool for the Jungle/Plant life Toa/Matoran. Somebody needs to do this.
  • Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Eh trial and error mostly as with any molding practice. I think once you got a handle on it the biggest problem I would think is protecting the mask from damage. I mean splinters termites, water damage, wood rot? I would love to see a mask made out of wood. Be really cool for the Jungle/Plant life Toa/Matoran. Somebody needs to do this.

The wooden mask is a really good idea, I'm going to have to try that eventually. As far as molds go, they are definitely an option for mass production, just ask flintsmith.

6lyjLOL.png

I have one of those miniature 3D printers. It's about 1.5x1x1 feet, and it takes the plastic filament string stuff. Would that work for Kanohi?

I have seen people do it.

Now I'm curious as to the cost of such a device  :evil:

It was a kit. I think it was a couple hundred dollars. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1735 They make non-kit versions, too. Just look up "printrbot".

Edited by Toa Vanson

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

• Cutting & Gluing

Good luck finding one.

Thanks to the McToran and Metrutoran, there isn't a 2001 mask you can't find on BL, and given the hardness of the 2001/2 mask plastic, those are the only ones you'll want to modify (barring damage and such)

Are 2001 masks in great condition rare?

I have several that are still in really good condition. Come to think of it I think 2001 is the only year I have masks from. Unless my few Krana are '02.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

• Cutting & Gluing

Good luck finding one.

Thanks to the McToran and Metrutoran, there isn't a 2001 mask you can't find on BL, and given the hardness of the 2001/2 mask plastic, those are the only ones you'll want to modify (barring damage and such)

Wow! I like the work you did on that rode! Have you customized any more masks since then?

• Upvote 1

6lyjLOL.png

• 4 weeks later...

• Cutting & Gluing

Good luck finding one.

Are 2001 masks in great condition rare?

Not at all! Like I said, with all the recolors from the McToran, finding a Miru, Akaku, (noble) Huna, Hau, Kakama, or Pakari is easy as can be. Just hit up Bricklink. Do an Advanced Search, and set your filters as follows:

• Item Types: parts
  • Category: Bionicle, Kanohi Mask
  • Year: 2001
  • Seller is located in/ships to: [your region & country]

And that's it. Good luck!

• Cutting & Gluing

Good luck finding one.

Wow! I like the work you did on that rode! Have you customized any more masks since then?

I wish. Financial circumstances have prevented me from procuring new masks, and I've given away or lost most of my duplicates over the years.

I sculpted, molded, and cast a custom Olisi using a Suletu as a base once. It turned out all wrong, but I do still have the cast. It's dirty, possibly from the resin not being properly mixed or set and getting dust in it, and has pieces of the latex mold embedded in it.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

You know what always works for me in color? Surprisingly? White-out. Just dunk the whole Kanohi in the stuff. Then painted after covered in white out.

I mean, a thin acrylic primer will literally do the same thing, but has less risk of chipping and won't ruin the mold definition ("round-out" the edges).

If you have a Wal Mart or any hobby store nearby, they'll have white acrylic paint in stock for far less than white-out. Just mix 2 parts paint with 1 part water (or 3:2, depending on the particular brand) for quick-and-dirty primer.