Humanized Hahli (v2)

Petewa

I don't know, the first picture she appears young in a sense so the thinner profile is befitting as such. Also the sporting attire befits Hahli. In your newest incarnation you have a different view of her yet still keep the thin profile. Even more now and it feels out of place. Like now she is too-thin instead of an athletic-thin. Along the same lines while your first concept was well balanced across the board as far as size is concerned, the second while appearing way too thin in my taste also has larger arms while having thin legs. Not sure what is going on here but to me it almost looks like Hahli has gotten older from the chest up but has remained her younger self below that point. That or she is in mid growth spurt and it just hasn't reached the rest of her yet.

I would not worry too much on the hands. Even expert artist have issues with properly conveying hands as the value of their digits goes up. That's why many of the cartoons have but 3 fingers and a thumb. That 5th digit is just so hard to have while not making the hand overly large...

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I don't know, the first picture she appears young in a sense so the thinner profile is befitting as such. Also the sporting attire befits Hahli. In your newest incarnation you have a different view of her yet still keep the thin profile. Even more now and it feels out of place. Like now she is too-thin instead of an athletic-thin. Along the same lines while your first concept was well balanced across the board as far as size is concerned, the second while appearing way too thin in my taste also has larger arms while having thin legs. Not sure what is going on here but to me it almost looks like Hahli has gotten older from the chest up but has remained her younger self below that point. That or she is in mid growth spurt and it just hasn't reached the rest of her yet.

I would not worry too much on the hands. Even expert artist have issues with properly conveying hands as the value of their digits goes up. That's why many of the cartoons have but 3 fingers and a thumb. That 5th digit is just so hard to have while not making the hand overly large...

People on other forums have complained about me making female legs too thick, so I tried going the opposite direction. And in the old thread, people here said it would be more befitting for her to be in a swimsuit, I guess one in ten drawings I give out awkward proportions.

I guess a swimsuit could make sense seeing as she is a water element but you'd have to ask yourself if you would wear that all the time regardless. Yeah in California you got a lot of woman in swim suits or shorts or whatever, but not something I'd see as a constant. Yeah when asking for comment and critiques it is not possible to please everybody. Me personally the only thing I saw wrong with your original pic was the tattoos that symbolized the original masks. I think that was the only thing I said in the other topic. Though while they are still a bit of a turn off for me, in a tribal setting facial markings are a norm. Be them as a badge of honor or ranking within the tribe.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

okay, hopefully i can say this constructive critique in a way that doesn't sound demanding or rude,

but if i may help, the torso here is a bit too tube-like, which can be fixed somewhat by sloping the chest/waist into the shoulders a bit more, (this is hard to explain without a diagram, shoot.) adding a little depth to her side in the process, other than that this seems pretty good, the use of lime green and the kaukau-shaped swim-gear is pretty nice too, and identifies this woman as hahli pretty well.

(another suggestion, unless you've been drawing with a mouse*, i'd suggest trying to taper your lines, line thickness is another tool for depth.)

*obviously extremely time-consuming if done with a mouse.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

okay, hopefully i can say this constructive critique in a way that doesn't sound demanding or rude,

but if i may help, the torso here is a bit too tube-like, which can be fixed somewhat by sloping the chest/waist into the shoulders a bit more, (this is hard to explain without a diagram, shoot.) adding a little depth to her side in the process, other than that this seems pretty good, the use of lime green and the kaukau-shaped swim-gear is pretty nice too, and identifies this woman as hahli pretty well.

(another suggestion, unless you've been drawing with a mouse*, i'd suggest trying to taper your lines, line thickness is another tool for depth.)

*obviously extremely time-consuming if done with a mouse.

Yes, I drew this with a mouse, I figured I could draw her better by hand, but wanted to be able to colour the picture.

That reminds me, I did redraw Takua by hand, taking cues from this:

takuaexplanationsketch.jpgBecause Taka Nuvia is a fantastic artist. Might post a picture of that picture later.

Edited by D5 Petewa

I tried to fix it. Her hips were way too narrow. Also Ga-matoran wouldn't be pale.

They seem too wide to me now, and also, she was pale because I'd just wanted to keep the original colour scheme.

I'm just gonna draw her back in the Kohlii uniform so I can stop regretting this topic.

Edited by D5 Petewa

I tried to fix it. Her hips were way too narrow. Also Ga-matoran wouldn't be pale.

They seem too wide to me now, and also, she was pale because I'd just wanted to keep the original colour scheme.

I'm just gonna draw her back in the Kohlii uniform so I can stop regretting this topic.

Ok I'm sorry. I should have asked you first before I edited your pic.

But I did it so I could show you what changes would benefit the picture.

Most women have hips wider than their chests, a lot of your characters look pre-pubescent because they have boyish body types. Unless they're supposed to be that young.

And the swimsuit outfit is fine. In fact, I actually like it better that her first outfit. It makes sense considering where she lives.

Please don't take others' critique as a personal attack on you. We're all trying to help you improve as an artist.

I suspected as much, that's why I thought it was strange when you depicted her "older" in your V2 pic. I think I have to agree though Sailor's depiction while an improvement to the proportions they go a bit too far in the other direction. While increasing the hips the waist is neglected. That or she is wearing a very tight corset under her swimsuit. With the rest of her build being "fit" it wouldn't really make sense that her waist wouldn't expand as well due to muscles as well.

Onua.png

Yeah, Hahli's supposed to be pretty young, just using her as an example, I figure that when she's a Matoran, she's a child, as a Toa Inika, it's the "awkward years" and Mahri is full adulthood.

You need to put things like that in your drawing description. Her proportions don't look childish so I assumed she was an adult.

Do you sketch out your pictures first?

It's important when drawing any figure or object to construct your basic shapes first. If you go straight to the final outlines, things won't line up right.

Also a lot of your characters' faces are crooked. Sketch out everything first to make sure you have enough room for the features of the face. And don't forget eyebrows.

Basically what I'm saying is, practice drawing some more. A lot more.

I'm gonna just come right out and say it, I love this idea for a design, but only as an idea. It could use a little more polish here and there, but it has the foundations of being a great design. Like people have suggested, doing preliminary sketches is vital to making a drawing look good when it's finished. I'd suggest getting together some reference pictures and looking at the proportions of women at different ages. (OK, now I've written that it sounds creepy, but you know what I mean)

Also, I started drawing this earlier in the thread when people were talking about a slightly aged-up approach, and thought about how cool that sounded. I essentially took your design, redrew it in my own style, and made a couple of modifications. What do you think?

humahli_by_chipbiscuit-d8vftt3.jpg

• Upvote 3

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

Chip. That artwork is amazing, I want to see you do something similar with the rest of the matoran that became the toa inika. 

Thanks Liuth, I might consider that! It was weird, halfway through drawing it, I suddenly realised: 'I like drawing humanized Bionicles!'

But anyway, the focus here is D5 Petewa's art, I don't want to steal his spotlight or anything.

• Upvote 1

-L- to the -K-

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

I'm gonna just come right out and say it, I love this idea for a design, but only as an idea. It could use a little more polish here and there, but it has the foundations of being a great design. Like people have suggested, doing preliminary sketches is vital to making a drawing look good when it's finished. I'd suggest getting together some reference pictures and looking at the proportions of women at different ages. (OK, now I've written that it sounds creepy, but you know what I mean)

Also, I started drawing this earlier in the thread when people were talking about a slightly aged-up approach, and thought about how cool that sounded. I essentially took your design, redrew it in my own style, and made a couple of modifications. What do you think?

I actually really like that, and to be honest, I think I'm gonna step away from drawing female characters in general for a while. You should draw some more, you're pretty dang good at it.

And while I'm here, might as well drop this off:

27519442d1432818374-another-gerthian-art

Looks like you got some good starts here. Start small and work your way to the larger stuff. Only way to learn is to keep trying...

Onua.png

Not to sound like a condescending jerk, but: I follow this person's comics on DeviantArt, and she's done a few tutorials on drawing in general.  Hope they help.

Not exactly helpful: http://sulfurbunny.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Painting-Tutorial-529301728?q=gallery%3Asulfurbunny%2F35706383&qo=44

More helpful: http://sulfurbunny.deviantart.com/art/How-to-Draw-Absolutely-Anything-529705066?q=gallery%3Asulfurbunny%2F35706383&qo=36

Also, which mask is the one on the right?

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Not to sound like a condescending jerk, but: I follow this person's comics on DeviantArt, and she's done a few tutorials on drawing in general.  Hope they help.

Not exactly helpful: http://sulfurbunny.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Painting-Tutorial-529301728?q=gallery%3Asulfurbunny%2F35706383&qo=44

More helpful: http://sulfurbunny.deviantart.com/art/How-to-Draw-Absolutely-Anything-529705066?q=gallery%3Asulfurbunny%2F35706383&qo=36

Also, which mask is the one on the right?

What do you mean?

|||

V

27519442d1432818374-another-gerthian-art

That one.

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

[My earlier post with artwork in it]

I actually really like that, and to be honest, I think I'm gonna step away from drawing female characters in general for a while. You should draw some more, you're pretty dang good at it.

Thanks man. Remember, practice, practice, practice!

-L- to the -K-

Just because something is hard, or seems a bit challenging, doesn't mean that you should just give up entirely. I started drawing off with the male body, and found that the female body was drastically harder, and different, than male body. I went down the route of stopping all work on the female body... and it ended up being more detrimental for me later on. I'm just speaking from experience, here. Its the same thing with hands - if you don't try at drawing hands, you're never going to get better at drawing them. Draw from reference, do sketches of those references, draw from memory... etc etc. Drawing takes practice, just like anything else does.

Your Hahli is good so far. I do like the bathing suit idea, and I still really like the idea of having a breathing mask on her. That said, your hands are pretty good so far! Don't be too hard on yourself c:

Back to terms of anatomy, here, this is what I gathered from your drawing; uncolored, tho. Also definitely not my best as this was a quick sketch (excuse the rushed goggles; I totally forgot about them initially XD):

petewahahli_1.png

Your Hahli, the one you drew, appears to me as an early teen. The tattoos don't make much sense to me (except for the ones on the face and upper arms). When doing tattoos, you should keep in mind the contour of the limbs that you are drawing them on, so they should move with the body, rather than just look slapped on like a flat canvas. Same thing with the hands - her tool and her waist are curved, so it would feel a little unnatural for her hand to lay simply flat against her hip.

So what I did is tried to make some curves (in terms of lines, not actual anatomy). I also tried to make her look young (not yet a Toa), which all has to do with face roundness, placement of the eyes (and sometimes size, but that depends on the style you're going after).

• Upvote 2

I am mostly a lurker, I rarely comment on things. I draw mostly human Bionicles, and my head is stuck in G1.

|| dA || tumblr  || Bionicle Manga Tumblr || Bionicle Manga Smackjeeves ||

Well it looks like there are some nice artist here on the board as they have taken your Hahli concept and expanded on it. This last one has some nice proportions on it. Not too skinny but not overly flat boyish figure. The balance between the hips and waist couture well into each other as well as the upper calves. Remember that woman tend to have larger upper calves due to the wider hips for biological reasons.

Don't get discouraged thought Petewa. I would wager that they have been drawing for quite some time and the advise they give is sound. Though remember the artist's style has to show through. If you are going for a more realistic concept like she could step off the page and shake your hand. Being atomically correct is always a plus. However of you are going for a more cartoonish or comic feel then the 3D curve effects are not quite as important. Granted by cleaver placement of shadows to create the effect you desire. Chip's rendition is a good example of the shadow-play I refer. Without them his picture would be just a mess of paint on a flat canvas. So try different things and see what works for you.

• Upvote 4

Onua.png