Gender in future Bionicle reboots

Okay, so we've had a few topics related to gender recently, spawning some lively discussion, interesting headcanons, and some creative interpretations of the gender ratios and dynamics in G1 and 2, but I'm wondering what people would choose given the opportunity to start from scratch.

So here's a scenario...

Ten years from now, a couple of years after G2 finished, you've been appointed head of the story team for the new Bionicle reboot. All you've been given is a list of character names that have been cleared by the legal team, consisting of most of the old favourites and plenty of new ones. They say you're welcome to look through any of the old story bibles, but they would like "a fresh start". Your only instruction is to make it appealing to 7-12 year old boys, though appeal for a periphery demographic is not unwelcome.

You could bring back all your favourite characters exactly as they were before- "No need to mess with perfection," and all that.

You could gender-swap characters or groups of characters to toggle the ratio.

You could start over with a new set of characters.

Or some combination thereof... or something else entirely? 

What would you do?

• Upvote 4

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I'd have an equal gender ratio between the Toa, but call back to previous gens to name them rather than use the Mata for a third time; Jaller (Fierce, firm leader. Male Toa of Fire), Hahli (Pacifying influence, Female Toa of Water), Tamaru (Jovial but cowardly Female Toa of Air), Onepu (Beastmaster Male Toa of Earth), Dekar (Elder-type character, Male Toa of Stone, Ihu (Sagely silent female Toa of Ice) and the Seventh Ranger Toa of Light (Unnamed character, the agent of 'higher powers', whether that's godlike Mata Nui or Illuminati-ish OoMN).

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I would start with the original characters again, except this time there would be hints(very subtle) to the old storyline. There would be new Turaga, in the form of the original Metru.

I would follow along with these characters, but make the storyline twist and turn in ways it never has before. Tribal-ish the first wave, then a little more robotic with the arrival of the enemies to replace the Bohrok. Then the Bohrok are mentioned slightly. Following suit, They be Nuva, followed by with the Rahkshi being much different(same powers, very new look), and a Makuta worth buying. Takanuva would be pearl gold with an epic design.

Then, when it's time for the Metru, i'll place them in an incredibly high-tech city with all-new gear and weapons made to match the high-tech theme. Then they would return to the city and life would be a combination of electronics and old-fashioned working, and balance perfectly. (Like that's gonna happen in the real world)

But after that, I'd bring up a whole new set of characters, with a more equal gender balance. They'd do their thing for a couple of waves before the next group comes. And the next. And the next.

Ringing it up so that Bionicle doesn't end for years. NOTE: I'd actually put quality in the sets instead of looks.

And in the event it had to end, which all things do, I'd pull back every single group of Toa, redo them, and set up a three-year story on how Teridax was to be attacked one last time. (Yeah terry's still bad) And after all was said and done, it would be a story so big it would rival the BZPRPG timeline.

But that's just my take. Howe would you guys do it?

• Upvote 2

I would make it so that Toa and Matoran/Protectors of any element could be either male or female. For new characters, I would make the new Toa team gender equal. (Three male and three female.) I would most likely do the same with the Matoran/Protectors.

I'm not sure if I would bring back previous characters, even if they were rebooted versions of themselves. But if I did, I wouldn't gender swap any of them.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

This is what I would do:

Not bring back original characters!  Start out fresh with new characters maybe mention a few old familiar ones in the story once in awhile. (e.g. Mata Nui and Makuta)

Gender; either have them sterile (so people aren't complaining about the gender) or if I can't do that then 4 male 2 male or 3 female 3 male.

EDIT: Changed my mind.

Edited by Mocmaker
  • Upvote 1

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

I think it's a little early to be considering ANOTHER reboot...

In any case: I would personally hope that any future reboots would avoid gender-locking the elements, just like I hope that the current story doesn't (so far, it's not entirely clear). But if a future reboot, like the current one, starts with the same Toa, I don't know if changing their gender is the best idea. A big part of maintaining classic characters, after all, is to appeal to nostalgia—regardless of the intention, I think such a dramatic change would be divisive, which would go directly against that appeal. What I DO think the story could afford to do is to use more equal gender ratios for new characters. Introducing a new set of mentor characters? There's no reason at least one of them can't be female, and you get extra props for making two or three female. Villagers? There's no reason they need to be the same gender as the Toa, and in fact they'd probably be more distinct if you made them different genders. A "seventh Toa" or other new main characters? They present the best opportunity to work on starting to even out the gender ratio of the main cast without the controversy that comes with changing up a fan-favorite character.

Of course, if a future reboot started with entirely new characters, anything goes, and to continue to maintain the wildly uneven 5-to-1 gender ratio would be a major disappointment to say the least.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Half male, half female. Add a gay couple. Probably several. Even add characters with defects to give a moral that nobody is perfect. One of the main characters being killed off. And leaving every story arc at a suspenseful cliffhanger. Like a character about to fall into lava or the destruction of a village.

• Upvote 2

Half male, half female. Add a gay couple. Probably several. Even add characters with defects to give a moral that nobody is perfect. One of the main characters being killed off. And leaving every story arc at a suspenseful cliffhanger. Like a character about to fall into lava or the destruction of a village.

I was thinking half and half too, though I'd also want a more diverse range of aesthetic styles to maximise cross-gender appeal (like, have a big, clunky, steampunky looking Toa of Iron, while the Toa of Ice looks like s/he was designed by Apple.) A gay couple would be nice, but part of me doesn't want Lego's first gay couple to be non-human characters (but hopefully that will be a moot point ten years from now, since Gandalf x Dumbledore totally needs to get canonised in the Lego movie sequels).

Slight tangent, but I'd also want a reboot to have a full animated series. When I think about the huge appeal of the Avatar: The Last Airbender franchise across age groups and genders, I can't help but think that Bionicle could have had all that if they'd just done a few things differently.

I'd unlock both genders for the elements, male and female. I would leave any characters i bring back their original gender, unless I can come up with a good reason to switch one or two. Perhaps put equal emphasis on female and male characters.

2001 Bionicle was aimed primarily at boys. 2025 bionicle is smart enough to know that many genders love it, despite me being told to aim at 7-12 year old boys XD.

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

No gender locks, male to female ratio 2:1. Bam. Done, next. :P

• Upvote 3

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Add a gay couple.

If Lego wants Bionicle banned in Russia, then this is what they ought to do. It really sucks, but that there is territory that Lego just can't really cross into yet without getting massive backlash from certain countries/states. I'd love for them to have gay characters, but it's just not really possible just yet :(

But anywho, like Lyichir says, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to be thinking about future reboots, surely? There's not likely to be another one for maybe 10 years! :P

I agree with Archon on the 2:1 idea though. That seems fair. Elemental tribes should also not be gender-locked - and anyway, part of me doubts they even are in G2, honestly. 

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 2

Add a gay couple.

If Lego wants Bionicle banned in Russia, then this is what they ought to do. It really sucks, but that there is territory that Lego just can't really cross into yet without getting massive backlash from certain countries/states. I'd love for them to have gay characters, but it's just not really possible just yet :(

But anywho, like Lyichir says, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early to be thinking about future reboots, surely? There's not likely to be another one for maybe 10 years! :P

I agree with Archon on the 2:1 idea though. That seems fair. Elemental tribes should also not be gender-locked - and anyway, part of me doubts they even are in G2, honestly.

Eh, Russia will be 'gone' by 2025. I think we'll be good.

I'd have the elements still have a main gender, but allow some opposite gender characters too. Like keep the Ga-Matorans female but have a few males too. I'd also get rid of the thing where masks change as they evolve from matoran to toa to turaga. For some reason that always irked me. :/

I'd use new characters and make it roughly equal, or better yet (to obey the realism rule of statistics) varying from team to team so the average is equal.

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...

Another way to toggle the ratios: Swap the teams around. Hero Factory had the right idea here, though poorly executed in the gender department.  Have two of the original Toa, another from a fan favourite team, couple of random renegades, etc, and a misfit bunch of Matoran, Turaga, and small cute Rahi as the six supporting characters. Would also help avoid the "sameyness" that stuff like the Inika build fell into.

• Upvote 1

Gender stereotypes have been around for too long to hope to totally purge them from society in ten years.

What should be done in this matter should be a 1:1 ratio with no gender locks on elements, but I can't seenLEGO doing this in ten years because they would see it as less profitable, regardless of whether or not that's true. I would push for 1:1, but the best one could reasonably hope for would be 2:1.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I'd be inclined to make the Toa have equal gender ratios, with female Tahu and Onua, for reasons given in that older topic about changing the genders of the Toa.

I'd use new characters and make it roughly equal, or better yet (to obey the realism rule of statistics) varying from team to team so the average is equal.

What exactly is this realism rule of statistics? I've never heard of it, and several searches online didn't turn anything up about it.

~B~

Edited by Ballom

I would Kapura a girl, just saying.

You would make Kapura a girl?

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

A farting girl is something rarely seen in fiction. I'll support that.

• Upvote 4

Just............just reboot an all-girl Bionicle. See where it goes. I'd do it. I'd watch it transpire. Best case scenario is it's accepted with open arms and messes with previous notions about demographic, worst case scenario is. Well, worst case scenario is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I dunno if that's a serious answer. I'd maybe do a 1:1 ratio without gender locks like most people here are suggesting, and bring back a girl Onua or Kopaka or something, have 2-4 female members of the team. That is, if I kept the Toa Mata. Which I wouldn't. They've had more than enough time to shine.

Anyway my original idea was good I think. Maybe I could do a fanfic.

Oh my gosh

Why do so many people want a female Onua? Onua and Gali are the wise, calm and rational members of the team in contrast to the hyperactive Lewa and headstrong Tahu and Kopaka.

If both of the "down to earth" team members are female, it might send the message that all women in this universe act in a similar way.

If any of the Toa had to be genderbent, I'd make it Lewa. Le-Matoran in general are relatively androgynous with their lanky builds, and Lewa's personality is nearly the polar opposite of Gali's.

Especially in the new story. Gali is peaceful, intelligent, and usually serious, while Lewa is flighty, impulsive, and is nearly always cracking jokes.

Having both of the team's females be complete opposites would be a way to avoid attributing certain traits to an entire gender.

• Upvote 2

Why do so many people want a female Onua? Onua and Gali are the wise, calm and rational members of the team in contrast to the hyperactive Lewa and headstrong Tahu and Kopaka.

If both of the "down to earth" team members are female, it might send the message that all women in this universe act in a similar way.

If any of the Toa had to be genderbent, I'd make it Lewa. Le-Matoran in general are relatively androgynous with their lanky builds, and Lewa's personality is nearly the polar opposite of Gali's.

Especially in the new story. Gali is peaceful, intelligent, and usually serious, while Lewa is flighty, impulsive, and is nearly always cracking jokes.

Having both of the team's females be complete opposites would be a way to avoid attributing certain traits to an entire gender.

Eh, I just suggested Kopaka/Onua because they were the first to spring to mind.

Although I'll honestly stick by Onua as a female character if that means she'd be big and bulky. There aren't enough muscular female characters in kids' stuff, IMO! Gen 2 sorta changed personalities around a bit so Onua could stay wise and strong but maybe have some other traits that set her apart from Gali/docile traits.

Oh my gosh

Well, what's the one thing Kapura is famous for in the MNOLG? Besides 'teleportation'.

As I've said, I'd flip Kopaka (Ice Queen or Tsundere>Tahu) and Lewa (Genki Girl)

Keep important characters the same, but genderbend more obscure characters. In other words, there's no way I would make Kopaka a female, but Kopeke could be. Also, do a gender dominant tribe sort of thing. That is, elements are 3:1, but three are male dominant and three are female dominant. I would make water, air, and ice the female dominant ones and fire, stone, and earth male. For some reason those archetypes work pretty well in my head. Girls as sailors, jungle dwellers, and eskimo-esque scholars, and guys as the military, the sporty ones, and miners. Then somehow explain that the uneven Toa team ratio is due to anomaly in the case of air and ice. 

A good rule for Matoran might be to genderbend the minor, but still significant characters. Tamaru, Kopeke, the Le-Matoran musicians, Taipu, Tehutti, and Orkham would all be girls. Kotu and Macku would be guys. Some characters definitely can't be changed, like the future Inika and some characters who just work better as the gender they are now. For example, Hafu, Kapura, and Ahkmou couldn't be girls to me. A fun story element might be to make Macku a guy and say he sneaks away with Hewkii to pull pranks or something. Best bromance since Kopaka and Pohatu.

• Upvote 1

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Why only two genders? Let's go full sci-fi and say every elemental tribe is its own gender identity!

Seriously, though. I would start with the "Gali as the only girl" ratio for the toa, but I might make a couple of the others deliberately androgynous--Lewa and Kopaka come to mind, due to the Toa Kiata, but I'm not sure. I'd also unlock gender restrictions series-wide--any character could be of any gender--and provide an even split on the micro-line, maybe making the firemodel female. This would let me see how the market reacted, so if the moment was right I could later reveal that, "oh yeah, Lewa was a girl that whole time, wasn't it obvious?" In general, if I pulled characters from previous generations, I'd only genderbend the ones that would make sense--usually ones without sets, but sometimes others--and I would slowly spread toa gender ratios around so by the end of my generation run the number ended up mostly even.

As I've said, I'd flip Kopaka (Ice Queen or Tsundere>Tahu)

Just read out your post to my brother, and he says your nearly right. How he would do it is having Kopaka start off as a kuudere and later become tsundere, for Pohatu. Closer to his G1 personality and not going for the obvious fire and ice couple. 

Edited by Toa Jaxus

I at least one tribe or character to identify as otherkin/androgynous.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Just............just reboot an all-girl Bionicle. See where it goes. I'd do it. I'd watch it transpire. Best case scenario is it's accepted with open arms and messes with previous notions about demographic, worst case scenario is. Well, worst case scenario is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

It... sounds to me like those best and worst case scenarios are more or less the same? I might be biased as a brony, but it's hard to picture how a merchandise-driven franchise with an all-girl main cast could mess with more previous notions about demographic or be accepted on a much more universal level than My Little Pony has.

MLP:FiM is certainly divisive for some people, but I've never known any popular franchise for any demographic that wasn't. Make any brand popular enough and it will develop both a "hate-dom" and unsavory parts of the fandom on its own (BIONICLE already has both). So whatever failings you see in MLP:FiM and its fanbase, I don't see how BIONICLE could ever avoid them no matter what changes you made to it.

• Upvote 3

What the heck are matoran going to identify as if they're 'otherkin'? Skakdi?

• Upvote 1

Well, they could be transelemental.

"I'm a Ga-Matoran"

"Your armour is bright red, your mask is yellow, and you live over a pit of lava with a pet phoenix chick"

"Yes, but I'm a Ga-Matoran."

Yeah, no. Transgender is hard enough to get people to accept in reality, let alone a fictional universe of robots where there's no physical representation of gender besides colour. What's stopping a "transgender" matoran painting their armour a different colour and moving to a more appropriate tribe? Nothing. I'm not against minority representation by any means, but you do have to learn when you're including just for inclusion's sake, or you'll end up with a Toa team of 23, just to make sure every possible gender feels represented. Unless you're actively making gender debate part of the story, or the character's gender enriched their character, there are 6 genders/orientations to use when talking about robotic/biomechanical beings:

• Heterosexual Male
  • Homosexual Male
  • Bisexual
  • Asexual
  • Homosexual Female
  • Heterosexual Female

Most of the rest are variations on those or physical/mental gender disconnects. When a character has no physical gender, or an easily changed physical gender, there's no point to being trans. The main problem for humans is that physical gender isn't easily changed, and gender-reassignment surgery is difficult and only recent. A matoran doesn't have to worry about being trans, because their armour colour could be changed very quickly by paint, and therefore their physical gender as well.

• Upvote 3

--Snip--

well, that got pretty steamed pretty fast,

tell me, what does the incessant need to argue against gender-identity-inclusive plastic robots feel like?

Most of us do it to examine sociological constructs in an environment that we feel will not react with hostility to such an examination. And also for fun.