Broken Mask Refurbish

A good while ago, I got a new puppy. As puppies are wont to do, he started chewing on everything in sight. Unfortunately, I had a habit of leaving the occasional Kanohi mask on the floor. If you're a smart cookie, you'll put 2 and 2 together...
EoypcoG.jpg
...and come up with this.

Now, I hate throwing out Bionicle pieces, no matter the condition, so I stashed this busted Rode in a drawer for nearly two years before I remembered it and decided to put it to good use.
I got out my trusty rotary tool and went to work. After all, it was already broken, what was I gonna do? Break it more?

The fruit of my labors.

4F0lV2R.jpg

NnWz9xv.jpg

CBMabKP.jpg

Not too horrible if i say so myself, though it could use a bit more polish here and there.
What do you think, BZP? Is this acceptable modification, or is it...

QSt2TXI.gif

ABSOLUTE HERESY?!

• Upvote 8

Oh no, you damaged a precious Kanohi! Just kidding, I hated the 2004-2008 masks designs. I like how you salvaged a butchered Kanhoi and fixed it up. You should keep refurbishing the 2004-2008 kanohi, I want to see what you can create with a rotary tool. 

• Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

The primary problem I've been having is that the '04-'10 masks use a fairly soft plastic formula that makes getting a clean edge very difficult with a rotary tool. Unless I can get directly onto my cut with a grinding bit and a buffing pad, I get a nasty "burr" around the edge (visible in the left eyesocket in pic #2 and on the cut in the final pic).
Do you think that "tempering" the plastic would help with that at all? I have a heat gun and icewater readily available.

Edited by DoktorFreizeit

The primary problem I've been having is that the '04-'10 masks use a fairly soft plastic formula that makes getting a clean edge very difficult with a rotary tool. Unless I can get directly onto my cut with a grinding bit and a buffing pad, I get a nasty "burr" around the edge (visible in the left eyesocket in pic #2 and on the cut in the final pic).

Do you think that "tempering" the plastic would help with that at all? I have a heat gun and icewater readily available.

It could. I wish you luck, and the mask looks great so far :)

I hated the 2004-2008 masks designs.

I almost want to pick up an extra Rode and do something similar now.

What's wrong with the Rode?  :crying:

Nothing's wrong with it. :) I just wanna try it out using an extra one. Maybe touch up the mouth a bit and make it into a Noble Rode. :sly:

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

So you repaired your Rode and from what I can tell from your pictures you've done a really good job. I don't see any remaining teeth marks.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png