Official Ebay Auctions Topic

Watashi Wa

I was up at 3am watching that VMKK Ca last night and bumped it to $200 right at the end but it went even higher than the one that recently sold here! It seems the market is getting ever more serious for these rare collectibles...

I guess I got my two VMKK in the last moments of the grace period. That Ca went for double what I paid for mine!

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Especially since the Ca is the most common VMKK... Haha brutal. But, Munty an Bike, if you think about it objectively, all 3 of us are partially responsible for that.

Edited by takanuva1988

Looking for VMKK, GPKK, SSKK, and a gold Kanoka. PM if you have / know of any for sale!

Indeed, the more people who want them, the higher the price will be. It depends on the resources of those people too. I happen to know who bought that Ca now as it goes and fairly obviously it's another pretty big-money collector. When you get people like that going up against Takanuva, MC and myself, things are goin to get expensive! If on the other hand it was Bike and Lesovikk bidding there would be a clearly defined maximum price so it would inevitably go cheaper. Or more likely one of us would outbid them both and have it for ourselves :D

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Indeed, the more people who want them, the higher the price will be. It depends on the resources of those people too. I happen to know who bought that Ca now as it goes and fairly obviously it's another pretty big-money collector. When you get people like that going up against Takanuva, MC and myself, things are goin to get expensive! If on the other hand it was Bike and Lesovikk bidding there would be a clearly defined maximum price so it would inevitably go cheaper. Or more likely one of us would outbid them both and have it for ourselves :D

Don't you dare compare me to HIM.

hTeXGIU.png

Has someone made a list of everyone who owns one?  I really doubt that there are any differences in the quantities made by LEGO.  Back in the day we recognized pretty quickly that there were different numbers of kraata..  There are 8, not 6:  1,1,2,3,4,4,5,6  The Krana always seemed to have equal numbers.  I had a huge bag of orange masks (meant to be given away at ToysRUs) and those were all roughly equal in abundance. Why would there be any different abundances when they made them out of plastic?

The Xa is rarest in the VMKK (is this right?) because of psychological factors.  It matched the artwork and its the strategist so it's the best.  People don't want to trade it so it's rare.

Is the Ca really the most common or is it just the most commonly traded because it's the one most commonly traded?

I don't think a list of current owners would help anyway.  These effects would have had their impact back when the universe was young.  Some masks got into the trading cycle while others were lost.  Once a mask is transferred once, it is more likely to be traded (or at least locateable) later.

What do you think?

To keep this on the topic of eBay, I recently embarrassed myself by saying one thing about my VMKK Ja when the truth was another.  I'm going to post some pictures and information about what I learned about how to look for damage to the aluminum coating on VMKK.

Such is the nature of an auction, though. Prices are always inflated way past what they would be in the case of a simple sale, which is why I usually disregard auctions when I price items in the price guide.

-Letagi

That's misleading. If I auction a VMKK and the final price is $500, that should be factored into the price guide. Even though it's atypical, it still means at least 2 people were willing to drop that much. Bricklink has a system that automatically calculates the average price of every item sold. If you're taking on the task of creating a price guide, you should make an effort to be nonbiased. Disregarding outliers is disingenuous.

Has someone made a list of everyone who owns one?  I really doubt that there are any differences in the quantities made by LEGO.  Back in the day we recognized pretty quickly that there were different numbers of kraata..  There are 8, not 6:  1,1,2,3,4,4,5,6  The Krana always seemed to have equal numbers.  I had a huge bag of orange masks (meant to be given away at ToysRUs) and those were all roughly equal in abundance. Why would there be any different abundances when they made them out of plastic?

The Xa is rarest in the VMKK (is this right?) because of psychological factors.  It matched the artwork and its the strategist so it's the best.  People don't want to trade it so it's rare.

Is the Ca really the most common or is it just the most commonly traded because it's the one most commonly traded?

I don't think a list of current owners would help anyway.  These effects would have had their impact back when the universe was young.  Some masks got into the trading cycle while others were lost.  Once a mask is transferred once, it is more likely to be traded (or at least locateable) later.

What do you think?

To keep this on the topic of eBay, I recently embarrassed myself by saying one thing about my VMKK Ja when the truth was another.  I'm going to post some pictures and information about what I learned about how to look for damage to the aluminum coating on VMKK.

I trawled through every single news article, blog post, and topic on the old forums that mentioned VMKK, the Proto-Squad, etc, and created a spreadsheet of all the "discovered" rare masks in the online Bionicle community. I had maybe 60 accounted for. There were 2,000 Proto-Squad members, plus some were distributed on the van tour and sold on the old BZP store. So while one variety might crop up for sale more often, that's likely due to the limited sample we have. No reason why Lego would produce more of one variety than another... but then again, the Kraata came out funny, so who knows.

I don't ever recall hearing about 8 types of Kraata.  What are you referring to?

- :t::l::h:

I don't ever recall hearing about 8 types of Kraata.  What are you referring to?

- :t: :l: :h:

The Wild Kraata found in the Kraata cans weren't produced in equal amounts. You'd think you would have an equal chance of finding a level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6, but actually, you were twice as likely to get a level 1 or 4 than another level. Visually, instead of a 1:1:1:1:1:1 ratio, they were produced in a 2:1:1:2:1:1 ratio. Also, the metallic blue/metallic white ones were noticeably rarer than every other color combo.

Such is the nature of an auction, though. Prices are always inflated way past what they would be in the case of a simple sale, which is why I usually disregard auctions when I price items in the price guide.

-Letagi

That's misleading. If I auction a VMKK and the final price is $500, that should be factored into the price guide. Even though it's atypical, it still means at least 2 people were willing to drop that much. Bricklink has a system that automatically calculates the average price of every item sold. If you're taking on the task of creating a price guide, you should make an effort to be nonbiased. Disregarding outliers is disingenuous.

That's just the problem though - those sales are atypical. The price guide is supposed to document prices based on typical sales.

That being said, I should have been more specific. I often do make notes of sales that are above or below typical prices, and that would make sense to do for the VMKK since we've seen a few above-average sales recently. I'll make the appropriate changes shortly.

But outliers shouldn't always be take into account. For instance, I've heard of chrome Haus selling for upwards of $50, both as auctions and as simple sales. But those are so far above normal prices that it wouldn't be right to raise the value in the guide, especially for such a common piece.

Apologies if I sounded biased or nonobjective. I wasn't clear enough.

-Letagi

I don't know if making a list of current owners of the VMKK is necessarily a good idea (or bad for that matter) What I DO think would be helpful to everyone in the race for them though is a dedicated buying and selling page for them. The first post can contain details on all the members currently interested in buying them and which ones they have/need. That way, when someone has one for sale they can drop in there and list it up for instant gratification. I think it would be interesting for other members to watch the collectors duke it out over these things and see the collections grow. Perhaps it could include members who have already completed full sets and then it would act as a sort of 'hall of fame' too. It wouldn't necessarily be JUST a BST thread but a hub for all things VMKK (and WMKK/SSKK too probably, but not GPKK...) 

I might look into putting this together tomorrow, let me know if it seems like a good idea to you folks or just another waste of bandwidth! Bike, you don't need to answer that :P

The 2:1:1:2:1:1 distribution of the kraata was seen across all the wild colors.  The only reasonable explanation was that the mold they used had 8 kraata in it.  One of each plus extra level 1 and 4.  If that were indeed the case, it would support the idea that the Krana were made eight at a time and had equal abundances.  Lego, I expect, uses logic when designing their molds.  If the design for one mold has reasons for it to make 8 items (maybe the molten plastic flow path splits 3 times) the same logic would lead to similar molds for similar items.

Regardin what price to report from an eBay auction... The bid amounts are public record.  Maybe the bid from the third highest bidder would be a good number to use??

Edited by Flintsmith
  • Upvote 1

Wow, someone is actually selling their BFTGM prizes? Not cool.

-Letagi

lol i might just buy 'em

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

-Letagi

What if roamctoa(I thinki spelled it right) sold the Solid Gold Skull Spider Mask? Maybe the person needs cash more then they need Bionicle's. I think we have all been there.

MC

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

-Letagi

What if roamctoa(I thinki spelled it right) sold the Solid Gold Skull Spider Mask? Maybe the person needs cash more then they need Bionicle's. I think we have all been there.

MC

That's definitely a possibility, and if that's the case then I don't fault them at all. But most people who have the spare cash to spend on LEGO (and thus have enough LEGO to build a winning contest entry) are not in need of money.

-Letagi

-Letagi

That's just the problem though - those sales are atypical. The price guide is supposed to document prices based on typical sales.

That being said, I should have been more specific. I often do make notes of sales that are above or below typical prices, and that would make sense to do for the VMKK since we've seen a few above-average sales recently. I'll make the appropriate changes shortly.

But outliers shouldn't always be take into account. For instance, I've heard of chrome Haus selling for upwards of $50, both as auctions and as simple sales. But those are so far above normal prices that it wouldn't be right to raise the value in the guide, especially for such a common piece.

Apologies if I sounded biased or nonobjective. I wasn't clear enough.

-Letagi

Wouldn't the most "typical" sale be an average of every sale? Doesn't make sense to cherry pick certain sales. I suppose for the rarer pieces, the value is reestablished each time it's auctioned, though.

Agreed, every sale price should be taken into account because they are all representative of the community at large.

A high price for example shows that there are collectors out there who will pay up to (and possibly over) that particular amount. Maybe noone else would but maybe others would too. Regardless the fact that one person WILL suggests that the value of the piece is at least that high for some of the community. Equally when items sell low it shows that some people who possess those items see less value in them. This is harder to include than high prices as it's likely the seller simply didn't know the true value prior to sale but it's also possible they wanted a quick sale, have come across a lot of the same item (thus genuinely lowering it's actual value) or are having trouble selling it at all...

As has also been mentioned, an auction situation involves a minimum of 2 people valuing an item at the same price so the fact that 2 VMKK just sold in auctions for $200 each means that at least 2 people were willing to pay that much for them. Given that I have a little more infomration on who some of those bidders were I can vouch for it being more than 2 different people too so in this case there are at least 3 people who value VMKK at $200+ now. We just mentioned the trans clear Hau being worth about $30 right now but I sold one for £40 this week so that figure has to be taken into account too even though it's much higher than normal (check bricklink sales records and you'll see the one I sold!) I actually paid £60 for mine which is way too high as I bought at the wrong time, it was still a vaild value at the time but the nmany more became available and the price dropped. So these things can change all the time, especially new items that don't have much of a sale history yet!

I need advice guys. I'm from Mexico and I fear shipping prices and MexPost service. Last October I hired a service that would get my eBay packages from the US in Laredo TX and send them to my actual address here in Mexico, that means the shipping cost is far lower than would be from BrickLink or forum members (and is kind of safer than MexPost):

1. I kind of remember to have read Toa Norik is a semi-rare set. Should I go for this one? Total shipping is $9.75
  2. This krana set has shipping cost IS $3.50. The issue is I already own 8 of those krana and two are repeated.

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

hTeXGIU.png

Interesting that it's the same seller who is selling the GPKK I linked to earlier.  I'm really hoping that more protosquad members start coming forward with the intentions of selling their VMKK & GPKK.  I only need a GPKK Xa and Vu to show up.

- :t::l::h:

Wow, what is with all these rare Krana showing up for sale these days? There must have been at least a dozen in the last couple of months if we include all of TLH's.

-Letagi

Must be Bionicle's reboot causing interest in Bionicle stuff to increase or something. :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Blast, I had my eye on that! I guess this topic works both ways :D

hTeXGIU.png