New/Rediscovered Combiner: 2003 Kabaya Matoran!

I've been working with a few other people to create a database containing information and instructions for all known combination models for Bionicle sets, and today, a user with the screen Name JBOboe720 shared some information about a model I'd never seen before: a Kabaya combiner for the 2003 Matoran sets Hewkii, Hafu, and Macku.  It's been known that Kabaya versions of these three sets existed (they're mentioned on Bricklink, for example), but unlike the Kabaya Turaga and Bohrok Va, their boxes show the standard 2003 Matoran Combiner (the four-armed figure and quadruped) that's depicted on American boxes.  However, these sets' instruction sheets include steps to build a different model that uses pieces from just Hewkii, Hafu, and Macku.  As far as I can tell, this model has been pretty much forgotten by the BZP Community, since nobody has mentioned it in previous discussions, and neither Google Image searches nor searching the news archives of BZP seemed to provide many details of this model, or even of the 2003 Matoran Kabaya sets in general.  An old Mask of Destiny page (we can talk about them now, right?) that I found after doing some more research mentions the existence of the instructions, but there's no images, just a broken link to a decade-old forum topic.  Anyway, JBOboe720 provided me with a link to a Japanese web page that includes photos of the three Kabaya Matorans' boxes and the instructions for their combiner (as well as another picture of a Lerahk wielding Surge's lightning weapons, oddly enough).  Does anybody here remember this combiner or know anything about it?  If someone actually owned one of the 2003 Kabaya Matoran and could provide a better image of the instructions, that'd be spectacular.  I don't think the model itself is all that great, but it's neat to know that there's still combiner models out there that I never knew about before.  

JBOboe720, thanks for the tip!  If you're a BZP member (which I assume you are, since you found the combiner database), and you want to share your username here, I can give credit where credit is due.

What do you guys think of this "new" model?

• Upvote 8

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

I can't find the photo anymore, but there was a korean lego club magazine and it had combinations of the toa Nuva sets. Oddly, Onua had the Great Ruru, a kanohi not released until 2004, which is a bit weird. Anyone know if they could find a picture of it?

Edited by Liuth

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

And to think I rejected the possibility of this existing because the boxes had the standard combiner... That's it, we need to scour the Japanese fan community and find more stuff.

I can't find the photo anymore, but there was a korean lego club magazine and it had combinations of the toa Nuva sets. Oddly, Onua had the Great Ruru, a kanohi not released until 2004, which is a bit weird. Anyone know if they could find a picture of it?

Must...find...

EDIT: All right, guys. "Kabaya" in Japanese is "カバヤ." "BIONICLE" in Japanese is "バイオニクル." For more Japanese BIONICLE terminology, check out this page. Get searchin'!

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I took a crack at building this model, substituting in Kopeke's parts since I don't own Macku.  Here's how it looks assembled:

rhttlt.jpg

Here's a few more photos:

Front

Side

Back

The instructions were blurry, partially obscured, and a bit unclear or inconsistent in places, but I think what I built more or less matches the official model's build.  As for the combiner itself, it's a bit floppy and front-heavy, but it's not as bad as I thought.  The head construction looked like it would be really loose, but it actually fits together pretty snugly.  It's kind of odd-looking (and the color scheme's pretty drab without the blue), but  it was an interesting combiner to assemble.

• Upvote 4

sqtd1i.png

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

Mata Nui that is horrifying 

• Upvote 5

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

• 2 weeks later...

I tried using some Japanese keywords in Google, and I was able to find a second image showing the instructions for this combiner.  I also cropped the original image.

Original:

w1zdq8.png

New:

2i6gvb4.jpg

Unfortunately, the second image has a lower resolution than the original, but at least we can see what's in the lower left corner now (although it's not much of a  surprise).  I didn't have any luck finding a nice scan, though.  Does anyone on BZP actually own a Kabaya version of Macku, Hafu, or Hewkii, and would they be able to provide a scan?  

Also, there were sealed Kabaya versions of Macku and Hafu for sale on Bricklink that I found, if anyone really wants to get ahold of these instructions, but I personally didn't think it was worth the money.

• Upvote 1

sqtd1i.png

I tried using some Japanese keywords in Google, and I was able to find a second image showing the instructions for this combiner.  I also cropped the original image.

Original:

w1zdq8.png

New:

2i6gvb4.jpg

Unfortunately, the second image has a lower resolution than the original, but at least we can see what's in the lower left corner now (although it's not much of a  surprise).  I didn't have any luck finding a nice scan, though.  Does anyone on BZP actually own a Kabaya version of Macku, Hafu, or Hewkii, and would they be able to provide a scan?  

Also, there were sealed Kabaya versions of Macku and Hafu for sale on Bricklink that I found, if anyone really wants to get ahold of these instructions, but I personally didn't think it was worth the money.

I have those on my BrickLink wanted list, but it doesn't say anything. Are they listed under the correct catalog item?

EDIT: I found them, and no, they're not. They're listed using the main set's catalog entry. Anyway, Hafu for $20.06...plus international shipping...not sure it's worth it. Maybe when I have more money, just hope it lasts that long.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

It's a Kohlii killing machine made to purposly break your legs

• Upvote 1

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

It's certainly very creative, what with using the Kolhii "pucks" as eyes. It also manages to maintain a working gear function. If they were trying to pass this off as a "Matoran Kaita", it'd be ludicrous, but as a general combination model from sets with such limited parts, it's not too bad.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I can't find the photo anymore, but there was a Korean lego club magazine and it had combinations of the toa Nuva sets.  Oddly, Onua had the Great Ruru, a kanohi not released until 2004, which is a bit weird.  Anyone know if they could find a picture of it?      

Okay, I think I know what you're talking about with the Onua wearing a Ruru.  It's from a Chinese and/or Korean line of Bionicle 'knockoffs' called Maskers.  I can't put any pictures into my post because... I dunno, BZP reasons I guess :shrugs:, but if you type into Google 'bionicle knockoffs masker', you should see an image that has Kopaka, Lewa, the Onua guy (presumably the one you were talking about), a Pohatu-ish guy, and the Kal. 

Also, in reference to those combiners you referenced, if you go to YouTube, and type in 'bionicle knockoffs judge trua', you should see a review of said set, and at about the 2:30 mark, you can see 3 combiners on the back of the box.  Admittedly though, you can't see them that well, and they're kind of blurry, but they are there.  

So yeah, just my 5 cents in this conversation...

Edited by unknown456
  • Upvote 2

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

I can't find the photo anymore, but there was a Korean lego club magazine and it had combinations of the toa Nuva sets.  Oddly, Onua had the Great Ruru, a kanohi not released until 2004, which is a bit weird.  Anyone know if they could find a picture of it?      

Okay, I think I know what you're talking about with the Onua wearing a Ruru.  It's from a Chinese and/or Korean line of Bionicle 'knockoffs' called Maskers.  I can't put any pictures into my post because... I dunno, BZP reasons I guess :shrugs:, but if you type into Google 'bionicle knockoffs masker', you should see an image that has Kopaka, Lewa, the Onua guy (presumably the one you were talking about), a Pohatu-ish guy, and the Kal. 

Also, in reference to those combiners you referenced, if you go to YouTube, and type in 'bionicle knockoffs judge trua', you should see a review of said set, and at about the 2:30 mark, you can see 3 combiners on the back of the box.  Admittedly though, you can't see them that well, and they're kind of blurry, but they are there.  

So yeah, just my 5 cents in this conversation...

I found it. Guess they're fake. That brown Kiril, though...

Makes me wonder if there are any more masks in interesting colors in bootlegs.