What Constitutes as "Moral and Immoral" in the Toa Code

Essentially, killing a smart being unless they were going to kill you or destroy the universe will make a toa become seen as a villain. Certain kanohi are also banned because of their association with Makuta and regarding the meme, the Komau was made before the toa code, so it was exempt from being an immoral kanohi. 

• Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

A komau has a loophole; your victim could fight free of the control.

• Upvote 1

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

According to BS01:

Toa would not normally wear this mask because they feel its power is immoral, as it repels nature itself via its power.

I'm not entirely sure how it repels "nature" other than it repels everything, including natural objects.

And judging by a quote from Greg on LEGO's Chat with Greg Farshtey, the only thing in the Toa Code is "Toa do not kill." The way he worded it made it sound like that's it.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Well, there's no way to explain repulsion as immoral, but the Komau makes sense when you consider that:

(a) The Matoran universe has different values from us, and they don't necessarily consider independence and choice to be moral imperatives. This makes sense when you consider that the universe itself is a machine that requires everyone to cooperate in the way the Plan intended them to to function.

(b) The Komau can't force anyone to do anything that they would consider immoral. 

As for the other immoral masks, they all either cause physical or mental decay or destruction as their main purpose, or encourage causing it. 

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

(a) The Matoran universe has different values from us, and they don't necessarily consider independence and choice to be moral imperatives. This makes sense when you consider that the universe itself is a machine that requires everyone to cooperate in the way the Plan intended them to to function.

That actually really makes sense. I myself was wondering if Matoran moral values are either different or simply still developing, as they were originally intended to be like worker drones or cells in a body, and happened to gain sentience.

• Upvote 1

Herro there, person.

How are you?

That actually really makes sense. I myself was wondering if Matoran moral values are either different or simply still developing, as they were originally intended to be like worker drones or cells in a body, and happened to gain sentience.

This makes even more sense when you consider that before Velika tampered with the universe, the inhabitants' intelligence, emotion, and independence was somewhat limited. If the Komau was first made before Velika gave them independence, they would have very few, if any, morals (example: the untampered Kestora in the Red Star who had no qualms about dissecting revived beings alive), thus creating a loophole in the morality system.

EDIT: Velika also wears a Komau? Coincidence? Yes, because it's a powerless Matoran mask. :P

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 2

This makes even more sense when you consider that before Velika tampered with the universe, the inhabitants' intelligence, emotion, and independence was somewhat limited. If the Komau was first made before Velika gave them independence, they would have very few, if any, morals (example: the untampered Kestora in the Red Star who had no qualms about dissecting revived beings alive), thus creating a loophole in the morality system.

EDIT: Velika also wears a Komau? Coincidence? Yes, because it's a powerless Matoran mask. :P

Ohmahgudness. I totally forgot about Velika and that whole storyline XD.

A bit off topic, but I had my Velika figure standing right next to my desktop when I read that part on Bioniclestory.com and I just stared at him for a bit like "wuuuut..."

But yeah, the Kestora are a great point, too. Those people are in charge of keeping everybody alive, but they're fricking psychopaths. Kind of scary to imagine what the Matoran universe was like before Velika tampered with it. Who knows, maybe he's the good guy and we just can't see past how miffed we are that he wants to kill Helryx, Axonn, Billy Zane, etc.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

A bit off topic, but I had my Velika figure standing right next to my desktop when I read that part on Bioniclestory.com and I just stared at him for a bit like "wuuuut..."

But yeah, the Kestora are a great point, too. Those people are in charge of keeping everybody alive, but they're fricking psychopaths. Kind of scary to imagine what the Matoran universe was like before Velika tampered with it. Who knows, maybe he's the good guy and we just can't see past how miffed we are that he wants to kill Helryx, Axonn, Billy Zane, etc.

I'm probably missing something here, but...Billy Zane? Are you actually talking about Billy Zane, or is that a fan-nickname for a character?

I'm probably missing something here, but...Billy Zane? Are you actually talking about Billy Zane, or is that a fan-nickname for a character?

XD no I'm just kidding. Billy Zane's probably cool by Velika's standards.

Herro there, person.

How are you?

I'm sure De-Toa hate not being allowed to wear the Shelek...

Personally, I don't consider the Crast to be immoral, but I understand why the Toa might. It can repel anyone and anything, essentially isolating the user from the rest of the universe, in a way, which probably feels wrong to a race whose chief Virtue is Unity. (I say 'chief' only because the other two wouldn't be possible without the first, and it's really the most important one now that the GSR is kaput.)

As for the Komau (which should really be called 'the Mask of Hypnotic Suggestion'), the it-existed-before-the-Code excuse is nonsense because A) I'm sure the Crast, Shelek, etc. have been around for just as long, and B) you can't tell me the Toa can't add to the Code. Or perhaps it would offend the Ce-Toa if they did.  :notsure: 

Unless somebody wants to bug Greg, we'll never know what the rest of the Code is. On the bright side, we can add whatever we want for fan-fics.  :P

Edited by SilverCor

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I'm sure De-Toa hate not being allowed to wear the Shelek...

Personally, I don't consider the Crast to be immoral, but I understand why the Toa might. It can repel anyone and anything, essentially isolating the user from the rest of the universe, in a way, which probably feels wrong to a race who's chief Virtue is Unity. (I say 'chief' only because the other two wouldn't be possible without the first, and it's really the most important one now that the GSR is kaput.)

As for the Komau (which should really be called 'the Mask of Hypnotic Suggestion'), the it-existed-before-the-Code excuse is nonsense because A) I'm sure the Crast, Shelek, etc. have been around for just as long, and B) you can't tell me the Toa can't add to the Code. Or perhaps it would offend the Ce-Toa if they did.  :notsure: 

Unless somebody wants to bug Greg, we'll never know what the rest of the Code is. On the bright side, we can add whatever we want for fan-fics.  :P

I think they meant that the Komau existed before the Toa Code in a real-world sense. The Komau was introduced in 2001, long before fans were ever informed of a Toa code (in 2001, as far as fans knew, only 6 Toa had ever existed). The Makuta masks, other than the Kraahkan, were likely not created until around 2007, when the 2008 sets were designed. New mask powers tend not to be created until a set wears a new mask (notable exceptions include the Suletu, which was created by a fan in 2005 for the Brickmaster Toa building contest, the Volitak, which was introduced in late 2005 in Birth of a Dark Hunter as Nidhiki's Toa mask, though it was just referred to as the Mask of Stealth, the Olisi, which never used an actual mask piece anyway, and other masks that were used in story but never made as sets).

I'm pretty sure Duty and Destiny are still important. Duty in the sense that everyone will have a job to do if they want the new Spherus Magna society to function. And Destiny isn't dependent on the robot, as Greg had plans for Takanuva's destiny involving the Great Beings.

If you think about it, Mind Control brings Unity, while Repulsion can be seen as symbolizing its opposite. I take it that way -- a cultural statement more so than literal immorality.

Also, why is the Ignika in that image? At first I thought it was saying the Ignika controls minds (it might, I forget :P). And anyway, I've never heard it said to be about the shape of the mask...

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The thing with the Komau is that 1) the subject can break free of the control, 2) you can't make someone do something against their values (you couldn't make me stab someone or throw myself off a cliff, for example), and 3) it can be used for good (stopping a criminal from stealing or killing someone, for example).

Let's look at it this way: In BA#5, Onewa figured out a way to save his team from certain doom, but he needed Whenua's powers to do it. With no time to explain, he reached out with his Komau to direct his friend's actions, saving them all. Whenua disliked the intrusion of privacy, but understood Onewa's intentions. And, being a Toa, the safety of his friends was important to Whenua, making it easier for Onewa to tap into his mind and command his body.

So, the Komau is basically a way of saying "I have no time to explain, but I'm saving your life." 

At first I thought it was saying the Ignika controls minds (it might, I forget :P). 

It can do telepathy, since minds are a part of living things, and the Ignika can do just about anything with things that live. Mind control or hypnosis are technically within the realm of possibilities. Plus, it can bestow powers on other beings, so I don't see why it couldn't give itself one of those. :P

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I think they meant that the Komau existed before the Toa Code in a real-world sense. 

Indeed, but I was speaking in terms of an in-story explanation.

I'm pretty sure Duty and Destiny are still important. Duty in the sense that everyone will have a job to do if they want the new Spherus Magna society to function. And Destiny isn't dependent on the robot, as Greg had plans for Takanuva's destiny involving the Great Beings.

I didn't mean to imply that they weren't important, simply that Duty and Destiny often come about because of Unity, at least from what we've seen.

The thing with the Komau is that 1) the subject can break free of the control, 2) you can't make someone do something against their values (you couldn't make me stab someone or throw myself off a cliff, for example), and 3) it can be used for good (stopping a criminal from stealing or killing someone, for example).

Unless said criminal really, really wanted to.  :P Makes me wonder why some silver-tongued Makuta never used it to trick people into thinking that [insert evil act] was what they secretly wanted.............. *grabs a pen*

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Unless said criminal really, really wanted to.  :P Makes me wonder why some silver-tongued Makuta never used it to trick people into thinking that [insert evil act] was what they secretly wanted.............. *grabs a pen*

Not if done quickly. If they aren't expecting you to be around or use your mask on them, then the element of surprise should be enough to keep them at bay. Say they're about to ambush someone or snipe them. All you have to do is paralyze their mind long enough for the target to move out of range.

And, how would that work? See, mind control doesn't make someone think the way you want--just to control their actions. Look at my example from BA#5--Whenua was still himself and fully aware of what Onewa was doing, but Onewa's sharper mind took control of his body. I suppose if you used the mask on someone repeatedly over the course of a long time, like Takadox did with Carapar, you could alter their mind in subtle ways. But you can't just change someone with the mask. It doesn't work that way at all. 

Another example is in the Bohrok Animations, in which Pohatu used the Komau to send directions to Hewkii. When Pohatu and Hafu were surrounded by Tahnok, he sent instructions to Hewkii to kick a Kohlii ball down to them, knocking over a pile of rocks and catapulting the two of them back to safety atop the Po-Koro wall. Hewkii was still very much himself, using his own skills and thoughts, but following the physical commands sent by Pohatu.

Edited by The~1st~Shadow

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

In a meta sense I'd say the immoral masks are immoral because the concept of immoral masks was made up in like 2008 but some of the masks that seem pretty immoral on principle like the Komau came way earlier. I always assumed the storyline explanation for that was "even the less immoral ones have associations with the Makuta so a Toa wouldn't use it anyway."

Also, they are just powers after all. X-Ray Vision or Charisma or Detection can probably be used for objectives just as nefarious as making someone do your bidding. So clearly there's something that sets apart, say, Time Duplicates or Repulsion from any power that can be used for good or evil.

I'm willing to guess that what sets them apart is that Makuta use them.

• Upvote 2

Unless said criminal really, really wanted to.   :P Makes me wonder why some silver-tongued Makuta never used it to trick people into thinking that [insert evil act] was what they secretly wanted.............. *grabs a pen*

Not if done quickly. If they aren't expecting you to be around or use your mask on them, then the element of surprise should be enough to keep them at bay. Say they're about to ambush someone or snipe them. All you have to do is paralyze their mind long enough for the target to move out of range.

And, how would that work? See, mind control doesn't make someone think the way you want--just to control their actions. Look at my example from BA#5--Whenua was still himself and fully aware of what Onewa was doing, but Onewa's sharper mind took control of his body. I suppose if you used the mask on someone repeatedly over the course of a long time, like Takadox did with Carapar, you could alter their mind in subtle ways. But you can't just change someone with the mask. It doesn't work that way at all. 

Another example is in the Bohrok Animations, in which Pohatu used the Komau to send directions to Hewkii. When Pohatu and Hafu were surrounded by Tahnok, he sent instructions to Hewkii to kick a Kohlii ball down to them, knocking over a pile of rocks and catapulting the two of them back to safety atop the Po-Koro wall. Hewkii was still very much himself, using his own skills and thoughts, but following the physical commands sent by Pohatu.

It was a joke, but if we want to get technical, yes, BS01 states that the Komau is capable of emitting bursts of mental energy that could be used to distract someone on short notice. What I meant about the Makuta bit was this: say an evil Komau-user was trying to puppeteer some poor Toa into doing something bad, giving some telepathic speech as to why he should do it, and said Toa actually starts to consider complying, knowing full well that it's against his morals (like when you feel like punching someone). This mental stumble is the perfect window for the villain to swoop in, force him to finish the job, and Bob's your uncle.

This is hypothetical, of course, and is not being presented as fact.

Also, they are just powers after all. X-Ray Vision or Charisma or Detection can probably be used for objectives just as nefarious as making someone do your bidding. So clearly there's something that sets apart, say, Time Duplicates or Repulsion from any power that can be used for good or evil.

Exactly. Most of these Kanohi are taboo simply because of their association with the Makuta. The Crast I think is more of a cultural issue, the Shelek is useless to anyone who isn't a troll or an antisocial shut-in, but the Mohtrek can stay on the banned list, in my opinion, because if one of your past selves slips up, ya gone.

Edited by SilverCor

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I felt the "ban-list" was a pretty good example of a fictional group of people being realistically stupid, especially the reasoning for the relativley normal kanohi crast, the toa just hate makuta so much, they'll find any reason to not associate with them, even if it removes a potentially useful power.

(obviously some, like the felnas, jutlin, avsa, or kraahkan are on the banlist for a very very good reason.)

Edited by Rahkshi Lalonde
  • Upvote 4

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Maybe there's another Makuta besides Krika who wore a Crast, and did really horrible things with it? It would make more sense to explain why the Toa don't want to associate themselves with the mask.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Exactly. Most of these Kanohi are taboo simply because of their association with the Makuta. The Crast I think is more of a cultural issue, the Shelek is useless to anyone who isn't a troll or an antisocial shut-in, but the Mohtrek can stay on the banned list, in my opinion, because if one of your past selves slips up, ya gone.

Actually I've always assumed that the mask automatically sends back your time duplicate before he/she can be killed or mortally wounded. In fact it may not even need to be programmed into the mask to make your duplicates go back in time because physics may take over to prevent a paradox. That is, of course, depending on what you choose to believe. There are three theories on paradoxes. A) Nature prevents them by making time travel impossible. B) Nature prevents them by putting you in an alternate universe where you did die (kind of like the movie It's a Wonderful Life). C) Nature prevents paradoxes by making it so no matter what you do, events always happen just right so that the same outcome happens in a death in Tehran sort of way.

I believe C, which would suggest that either Bitil's time duplicates are invincible and always escape death through a convenient series of unpredictable events or that the mask simply isn't able to keep his duplicates in combat if they are about to die or become mortally wounded. That would also prevent them from being wounded so badly that they would die at any point in a fight between the time they were pulled from and the time they were pulled to. If take into account the Occam's Razor, then it is far more probable that the latter is true, meaning it is impossible to kill the duplicates of a Mohtrek wearer, only get them in a situation where they are prone to dying, being wounded mortally, or being wounded badly enough that they would die in a fight in between the time they were pulled from and the presence, which would explain why they're fairly easy to get rid of. Just shooting at their heads would make them disappear before the projectile even hit them. Come to think of it that's a kind of useless mask.

Edited by ToaOfAwesome

Herro there, person.

How are you?

Actually I've always assumed that the mask automatically sends back your time duplicate before he/she can be killed or mortally wounded. In fact it may not even need to be programmed into the mask to make your duplicates go back in time because physics may take over to prevent a paradox. That is, of course, depending on what you choose to believe. There are three theories on paradoxes. A) Nature prevents them by making time travel impossible. B) Nature prevents them by putting you in an alternate universe where you did die (kind of like the movie It's a Wonderful Life). C) Nature prevents paradoxes by making it so no matter what you do, events always happen just right so that the same outcome happens in a death in Tehran sort of way.

I believe C, which would suggest that either Bitil's time duplicates are invincible and always escape death through a convenient series of unpredictable events or that the mask simply isn't able to keep his duplicates in combat if they are about to die or become mortally wounded. That would also prevent them from being wounded so badly that they would die at any point in a fight between the time they were pulled from and the time they were pulled to. If take into account the Occam's Razor, then it is far more probable that the latter is true, meaning it is impossible to kill the duplicates of a Mohtrek wearer, only get them in a situation where they are prone to dying, being wounded mortally, or being wounded badly enough that they would die in a fight in between the time they were pulled from and the presence, which would explain why they're fairly easy to get rid of. Just shooting at their heads would make them disappear before the projectile even hit them. Come to think of it that's a kind of useless mask.

The doubles the Mohtrek summons can be injured and killed. Furthermore, they retain injuries when sent back to their time. Bitil occasionally found himself with injuries he didn't remember getting because a future version of himself summoned him and he got hurt in the battle.

We saw Matoro use an "immoral" mask in 2007 as a test of character. Pretty much any mask can be used for good or evil. Immoral masks simply have a long association with the Makuta.

While the immoral masks probably can be used for nefarious purposes more easily than otherwise, if the Komau was a common Makuta mask, then I'd wager that it'd be considered immoral as well.

• Upvote 1

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

The doubles the Mohtrek summons can be injured and killed. Furthermore, they retain injuries when sent back to their time. Bitil occasionally found himself with injuries he didn't remember getting because a future version of himself summoned him and he got hurt in the battle.

I know about Bitil finding himself with odd injuries. But while they can be injured it doesn't necessarily mean mortally or badly enough to cause them to die in battle any time in between the time they were summoned from and summoned to. Besides, if they died what would that mean? Nobody around him is surprised by Bitil being alive after one of his duplicates dies, so it can't comply with the theory that he's sent into a universe where he did die to prevent a paradox, and unless he can be revived somehow it doesn't comply with the the theory that the outcome is always the same, and the theory that time travel is simply impossible in that universe is already disproven by the mask's very functionality, so what is there to prevent a paradox? That's why I was saying maybe his duplicates disappear back to there time the instant before they can be killed, mortally wounded, or injured badly enough to make him die in a fight in between the summoning time and the present.

Edited by ToaOfAwesome

Herro there, person.

How are you?

Mask of Hunger? No prob.

Cooler version of the Kanohi Hau? IMMORAL

Avsa is immoral. Unless you're thinking of a different mask.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Mask of Hunger? No prob.

It would seem I made a mistake there.

Perhaps the Komau instead then.

Also, how are the Mohtrek and Kraahkan immoral? 

I've been over the Komau at length already, so I'll ignore that.  <_<

The Mohtrek tampers with time, and has the potential to cause harm to its user (bring a past self forward, gets in a fight, loses an arm, goes back, suddenly missing arm for the rest of their life).

Kraahkan is the Mask of Shadow. One, the Makuta purged themselves of their inner light, and became beings of pure darkness. Two, the mask can instill feelings of fear, doubt, and anger in a target. Does that need any further explaining?

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Mask of Hunger? No prob.

It would seem I made a mistake there.

Perhaps the Komau instead then.

Also, how are the Mohtrek and Kraahkan immoral? 

I've been over the Komau at length already, so I'll ignore that.  <_<

The Mohtrek tampers with time, and has the potential to cause harm to its user (bring a past self forward, gets in a fight, loses an arm, goes back, suddenly missing arm for the rest of their life).

Kraahkan is the Mask of Shadow. One, the Makuta purged themselves of their inner light, and became beings of pure darkness. Two, the mask can instill feelings of fear, doubt, and anger in a target. Does that need any further explaining?

Fair enough.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif