Monster Hunter Topic!

200px-Logo-MH1.png

Yeah, Monster Hunter! That video game which everyone and their mother plays in Japan but you can count the Western players on one hand! (Or you used to be able to, anyway.) Where you hunt giant fantastic creatures, defeat them, then wear them as a hat! Sooo tasty!

Or, in all, a game franchise near and dear to my heart. It would have to be, for me to have poured at least 1200 hours total on it by now. And I know at least some members here play it, so I thought opening up a discussion topic would be a good thing. There's tons to talk about, be it the latest release in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, or, that new thing Capcom's been teasing us with, the forthcoming Monster Hunter X.

~B~
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, I sure hope X/Cross gets localized in the West. But with us getting 3U and 4U, and the apparent greater success of the latter, things are looking more likely.

As for my progress in MH4U, I've currently just reached G1. I've definitely been taking my time in progressing there. And, actually, I'm currently replaying through high rank as I do quests with my brother, who's HR 5. Trying to get him some high rank Gore armor currently, as well as acquiring more Feeler+ for some of my own Gore weapons.

We should definitely do some G-rank hunts sometime Blade!

~B~

Yeah; people worry since it wasn't shown at E3, but I seem to recall 4U for showing up until like September or so. xP

Oooh, nice. =O I'm like a few quests off from Special Permit, myself.

Yeah, I'll just need to find time to play amidst all the other games I have to play. xP

I got 4 Ultimate near the time it came out, and since then, It's rarely left my 3DS. I feel like It's inching onto my absolute favorite games list!

As for progress, I've just unlocked 9-star quests, with a Hunter rank of 4. Any tips I should know to improve my skills as a hunter?

wGF2PMb.png

lof_teaser.png

(I'll do this eventually, I swear...)

My BZPRPG Characters

Corpus Rahkshi Characters: Kol Arsenal Swarm Amalgamation

Skyrise Characters: Zavon

I got 4 Ultimate near the time it came out, and since then, It's rarely left my 3DS. I feel like It's inching onto my absolute favorite games list!

As for progress, I've just unlocked 9-star quests, with a Hunter rank of 4. Any tips I should know to improve my skills as a hunter?

Tips for how to improve? Hmm, well there are a number of informational things like knowing monster hitzones to try and optimize damage, knowing numerically the highest-damaging combos for your favorite weapons, and so on. Otherwise in terms of direct gameplay, the main thing that I'd suggest is doing a lot of stuff solo, but your far progress in caravan indicates you're doing well on that front.

What weapon classes have you been using so far?

~B~

I tend to mix up my weapons for each hunt, but my main ones so far are Longsword, Insect glaive, Hammer, and Charge blade.

I used to use Dual blades a lot, then my current set (Low-rank Zinogre dual blades) got too weak to be used effectively, so I'm now working on Serigios Dual blades, alongside a full set of Seregios armour.

wGF2PMb.png

lof_teaser.png

My BZPRPG Characters

Yeah, pretty much all of Seregios's gear is the best available when you unlock him, so that's a good choice. Although Dual Swords chew through sharpness so fast that the auto-sharpening bonus on Seregios weapons is essentially wasted, I'm sure the raw is good enough for them to be worth it.

Overall, though, the Seregios hammer, gunlance, and especially greatsword seem to be the best of his melee weapons. And all three of his gunner weapons are superb too.

~B~

I've never been a big gunner person myself, probably because I couldn't be bothered to devote myself to build Gunner armour.

As for the Seregios weapons, I may consider the hammer option, as It's the three of those weapons I'm the best at.

wGF2PMb.png

lof_teaser.png

My BZPRPG Characters

You know a game series is good when your brother loves watching you play it so much it convinces him to buy his own 2ds and game so that you can play together.

I got on with 4U and I usually use dual blades.

Nice! Yeah, Monster Hunter certainly does seem to have that effect on people. That's how my brother and I got into it.

How far have you progressed in 4U?

~B~

Edited by Ballom

So, I recently decided to fight a G-rank Savage Deviljho on an Expedition while only at G2. Using my high rank Teostra sword, no less. I did finally kill him after about 18 or so minutes, but it was quite the struggle. I died five times, partly because a Garuga decided to join the party.

G-rank Savage is scary, man. That new dragonbreath move ... eep. :fear:

~B~

Once Arzaki gets over here, prepare to hear all the rants. :P

I'm kinda thinking on getting MHU4... Kinda.

Monster Hunter can definitely induce rants at times. At least post-Gen 2 it's been a lot better about averting that. Oh, the things I had to say about Plesioth back in Unite...

What is the best way to tell if someone is better at Monster Hunter skill-wise? Me and my brother had a disagreement about it a few days ago.

It really really depends. Given that certain weapons are much more effective against certain creatures, and people's choices in weapons vary considerably, it's really hard to get a direct comparison from specific quests or anything. It has to be more of a holistic thing, I'd say, such as if one person consistently carts less when solo (with other factors being even, such as solo without cats), or if one person consistently performs better in constrained circumstances like the arena.

What exactly were the arguments you and your brother were making?

~B~

I just checked and it turns out I played 300 hours in tri and 250 in 3 ultimate. No wonder why Im so burnt out lol. I wanna play 4 ultimate again but I'm kinda stuck on the dalamadur.

Dalamadur is a major pain to solo, from what I've heard, so getting at least one other team member online would help tremendously. Do you have a Wi-Fi connection that works for your 3DS?

~B~

~B~

Basically, I have been able to beat monsters on my first try that took him multiple tries BUT since I am taking my time he is farther ahead of me (although I almost caught up recently.)

I will probably try that Arena Idea though.  It sounds like it would work. Thanks!

Six Kingdoms Characters: Mazor, Jephro, The Janitor, Informant

• 3 weeks later...

~B~

Basically, I have been able to beat monsters on my first try that took him multiple tries BUT since I am taking my time he is farther ahead of me (although I almost caught up recently.)

I will probably try that Arena Idea though.  It sounds like it would work. Thanks!

Did you ever try out an arena competition? I'm curious how it would have gone.

In other news, I got a Wii U copy of 3 Ultimate a couple of weeks ago, and I've been playing that alongside 4U. It's been fun to once again hunt some old pals like Duramboros and Agnaktor, as well as taking relaxing swims once more. :P

If anyone's playing 3U still too, let me know!

~B~

I'm still in low rank in 3U. I'm not sure why, but in 3U, it would take me forever to hunt a monster, but in 4U, I've hardly had any trouble. It took me the entire 50 minutes to kill a Lagiacrus and I ran out of time on the Duramboros.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I'm still in low rank in 3U. I'm not sure why, but in 3U, it would take me forever to hunt a monster, but in 4U, I've hardly had any trouble. It took me the entire 50 minutes to kill a Lagiacrus and I ran out of time on the Duramboros.

In 3U low rank, you take very little damage but monsters have decently high health. In 4U early on you take a lot more damage, but monsters have a lot less HP to compensate. Duramboros is also a walking pile of hit points in general.

Anybody want to play 4U with me sometime? I'm currently at G2 and need some help.

I'm at G2 as well. I'd be happy to help out!

This REALLY makes me want to progress in 3U.

Cool theme, yes, but the coolness quickly wears off and leaves it just a tedious fight against a walking punching bag, sadly.

~B~

• 2 weeks later...

WOO! Just beat Duramboros with 10 minutes left. I can't believe I didn't beat him before.

I also did the quest to capture a Lagiacrus earlier. It takes me an entire 50 minutes to kill a Lagiacrus but 20 to capture it. Huh.

Edited by Arzaki

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.