Tribes of Okoto: A Comparative Analysis of the Physiological and Cultu

Tribes of Okoto

A Comparative Analysis of the Physiological and Cultural Distinctions Between Six Island Tribes

----------------------------------

An introductory Overview

The island of Okoto is host to a number of unique species, including at least one extant sophant race and possible a number of others. It is, however, this singular race that is to be the focus of this research document, as most future contact with the world is expected to happen with them. The villagers of Okoto, who call themselves Morehu, were at one point in their history part of an island-wide empire of great wealth and mystical power. However, due to the mishandling of an artifact and the resultant tragedy, most modern Morehu live in scattered tribes on the island. These tribes are affiliated with the region of the island in which they live; the Jungle Tribes live in the Jungle Region, the Stone Tribes live in the Stone Region, and so on.

Morehu are carbon-based reptomammals with metallic compounds throuough their body, most notably in their bone structure. They have an average height of 4.5 feet, exhibiting a basic bipedal dual armed body plan with a singular head and no extended spine. Their hands have five digits, one of which is opposable; while this is also true of their feet, two of their digits have fused into a large “middle toe” and the opposable digit is usually used for balance. The smaller scales on a Morehu’s hands, feet, head, and chest usually appear silver, but as they grow larger on the limbs and main body they take a more blackish hue. The musculature of their barrel forms a distinct synthetic abdomen appearance, with a circular pattern over their heart and piston-like veins running from their ribs to their pelvis; almost all Morehu wear chest armor that mimcs and exaggerates these natural qualities.

Morehu faces can best be described as a strong-jawed, hollow cheeked scowl with their eyes exhibiting refractive qualities and ranging from ice-blue to pale yellow in color. Their diet, while technically omnivorous, appears to be mostly plant based with the occasional lucky kill thrown in. This is largely out of necessity rather than preference, as the infrastructure for supporting different diets has collapsed with the empire. While they do have a noselike bone, the nostrils are rather simple; a combination of scent organs and taste buds can be found on complicated structures located on their cheeks. The hearing organs of the Morehu are drumlike enclosed ears, located just under a pair of “port” organs that allow limited telepathic contact. Most Morehu will consistently wear masks to protect these “ports” from access, and a number of masks actually incorporate a level of telepathically controlled mystical power.

While the above is true of all Morehu populations, the varied regions of Okoto have resulted in minor divergences, both culturally and physiologically. The following sections are designed to elucidate on these differences, and furthermore examine the reasons they exist.

((The above is the first part of a seven part series, based on close observation of the Protector models.))

• Upvote 5

Morehu? Why that name?

I like the scales theory, but I have to admit that the silver stuff looks more like armor to me than scales. Scales usually have a ridged texture, which the silvery stuff doesn't seem to - if these are scales, they're pretty darn big. 

The hearing organs of the Morehu are drumlike enclosed ears, located just under a pair of “port” organs that allow limited telepathic contact. Most Morehu will consistently wear masks to protect these “ports” from access, and a number of masks actually incorporate a level of telepathically controlled mystical power.

I like this theory to explain the mask-wearing, although AFAIK that this hasn't been confirmed anywhere. Cool way to incorporate the set's mask connection. 

Morehu? Why that name?

I like the scales theory, but I have to admit that the silver stuff looks more like armor to me than scales. Scales usually have a ridged texture, which the silvery stuff doesn't seem to - if these are scales, they're pretty darn big. 

The hearing organs of the Morehu are drumlike enclosed ears, located just under a pair of “port” organs that allow limited telepathic contact. Most Morehu will consistently wear masks to protect these “ports” from access, and a number of masks actually incorporate a level of telepathically controlled mystical power.

I like this theory to explain the mask-wearing, although AFAIK that this hasn't been confirmed anywhere. Cool way to incorporate the set's mask connection. 

Morehu is maori for "Survivor." At least according to google translate.

As for the scales... I didn't mean that they were visible on the actual models. I picture a lot of little scales on the hands, feet, head, and chest around the size of a fingernail. Larger scales, like maybe the size of a coaster, would be everywhere else. Also, I meant to say that their chest armor is modeled after their actual musculature--you know, like how the Roman Legionaries would have chestplates shaped like a human torso.

------------

Part 1: The Region Of Jungle

The southeast portion of Okoto is dominated by a vast rainforest with a variety of plants, trees, and vines that grow to create a difficult to navigate living maze. There are remnants of farming villages out on the eastern plains, but evidence suggests that some unknown enemy drove the inhabitants away from this area ages ago. This is only further supported by the Jungle tribes living in the deepest of the rainforests, hidden high above the predators that roam below.

Jungle Morehu are generally above average in height, although it is not uncommon for them to stalk in a hunched posture.. They also have a secondary notochord on their back, like most other Morehu; in fact, their notochord is among the largest and most developed, giving them increased acrobatic acuity. Most of the Jungle Tribes have very flexible joints and lanky proportions, assisting them in quickly maneuvering around their homeland’s environment.

When compared to the other tribes, the Jungle Morehu might seem at first to be among the most technologically primitive; their underarmor consists of yellowed bark, with portions of covered in shimmering leaves, and only the warriors wear the metal chestplates often seen in other tribes, alongside a single shoulderpad. However, every Jungle tribe member has specialized “sensor tails” tied to their rear toes, which allow them to detect vibrations in the vines around them so they can quickly react to potential dangers; this, in combination with the long-range Air Elemental Flame Bow their warriors carry, make them almost impossible to track in the wild homelands, and there is some evidence that they keep the best of their technology at home.

Edited by MasterweaverX

As cool as this is, I can't help but wonder if it really belongs in Storyline and Theories. Since a lot of it is made from whole cloth, I feel like it would fit better in the library or the blogs.

As for what library subforum it might best fit into, I have no idea.

I think it fits here. It's a nonfiction set of theories about the land of Okoto in a formal format. The Library is for fiction works. 

Morehu? Why that name?

As for the scales... I didn't mean that they were visible on the actual models. I picture a lot of little scales on the hands, feet, head, and chest around the size of a fingernail. Larger scales, like maybe the size of a coaster, would be everywhere else. Also, I meant to say that their chest armor is modeled after their actual musculature--you know, like how the Roman Legionaries would have chestplates shaped like a human torso.

You'd think that if they had scales, they would appear in the animations or the models, correct?

Also, the odds of Lego using Maori words for a species name is rather unlikely. However, I think it is unlikely that they will assign a name to this species, so yours might be as good as any. 

As cool as this is, I can't help but wonder if it really belongs in Storyline and Theories. Since a lot of it is made from whole cloth, I feel like it would fit better in the library or the blogs.

I think it fits here. It's a nonfiction set of theories about the land of Okoto in a formal format. The Library is for fiction works. 

Morehu? Why that name?

You'd think that if they had scales, they would appear in the animations or the models, correct?

Also, the odds of Lego using Maori words for a species name is rather unlikely. However, I think it is unlikely that they will assign a name to this species, so yours might be as good as any. 

I'm running off the assumption that both the animation and the models are hypersimplified. Compare the Tahu Nuva model to the Mask Of Light CGI model, and you'll see a number of differences.

I don't see how completely making so many details that are not even so much as hinted at in the canon really qualifies as theories. If you can make up however much "headcanon" you like and then call it a mere theory, couldn't you just post any fanfic that doesn't contradict canon here just on the pretext that this is how YOU think things happened in between the "official" stories? To the point of "And then at the end after defeating Megatron and sending him back to his world, I think Gali and Tahu kissed, because the story never said they DIDN'T"?

I don't mean any insult to this headcanon. But it reminds me less of a conventional theory and more of things like the book "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" or the website "Expedition One to Mata Nui", which although framed as reference works are clearly works of fiction designed to deepen their established fictional universes. It is too specific about its many, many physiological details to really be plausible as a mere theory about how the actual CREATORS of Bionicle intended the character designs to be interpreted — on the contrary, it feels more like the writer using his own creative thinking to craft his own hyper-detailed "hard" sci-fi version of the BIONICLE universe.

Not to mention, as thoughtful as this headcanon is, it already contradicts some minor things that are known about the actual canon. For instance, not all Jungle Tribe villagers have sensor tails, because we've seen ones that don't in "The Legend" (the sensor tails are also attached to the ankles rather than the rear toes, but that's just nitpicking).

I honestly think finding a place for this in the library forum would also allow it to get more meaningful feedback related to the writer's own creative contributions instead of just nitpicking on how plausible it is that this was the writers' intent, or where it does or doesn't fit with established canon.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 6

I think this belongs in the Library.

Even if it's in a "science document" format and what not, this is definitely it's own story full of original ideas that don't have too much backing. Reminds me of bonesiii's retelling.

Still, good read I've enjoyed it. :)

• Upvote 2

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

I don't see how completely making so many details that are not even so much as hinted at in the canon really qualifies as theories. If you can make up however much "headcanon" you like and then call it a mere theory, couldn't you just post any fanfic that doesn't contradict canon here just on the pretext that this is how YOU think things happened in between the "official" stories? To the point of "And then at the end after defeating Megatron and sending him back to his world, I think Gali and Tahu kissed, because the story never said they DIDN'T"?

I don't mean any insult to this headcanon. But it reminds me less of a conventional theory and more of things like the book "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" or the website "Expedition One to Mata Nui", which although framed as reference works are clearly works of fiction designed to deepen their established fictional universes. It is too specific about its many, many physiological details to really be plausible as a mere theory about how the actual CREATORS of Bionicle intended the character designs to be interpreted — on the contrary, it feels more like the writer using his own creative thinking to craft his own hyper-detailed "hard" sci-fi version of the BIONICLE universe.

Not to mention, as thoughtful as this headcanon is, it already contradicts some minor things that are known about the actual canon. For instance, not all Jungle Tribe villagers have sensor tails, because we've seen ones that don't in "The Legend" (the sensor tails are also attached to the ankles rather than the rear toes, but that's just nitpicking).

I honestly think finding a place for this in the library forum would also allow it to get more meaningful feedback related to the writer's own creative contributions instead of just nitpicking on how plausible it is that this was the writers' intent, or where it does or doesn't fit with established canon.

I wouldn't mind if this was moved to the library. I am incorporating a bit of world-lore into the entries, and it is meant as a theoretical outsider's perspective (as well as a way to justify all the minor differences between the Protector models).

-----

Part 2: The Region of Stone

The westerly moist winds rarely cross the great mountain range bisecting the island of Okoto, leaving the west side a mostly dry and trackless desert. Ruins of the once-great empire of Morehu are scattered everywhere, broken aqueducts slowly sinking into the sand and creating gaping canyons. On the northern tip of the coast, at the base of a massive crater sinking into the sea, lies what many believe to be the empire’s former capital. It is in this heartless, shattered corpse of a land that the Stone tribes scavange for their living.

The Stone tribes are the only Morehu to lack a secondary notochord on their back; while this does make them slightly less physically coordinated than other tribes, it also makes them much hardier, able to go longer without food and water. Their scales are usually bleached gray from the constant sunshine, and they tend to adopt a wider stance to keep their balance on the shifting sands. do share many similarities with the Jungle tribes, being taller than average and having loose joints on their lanky frames. But where the Jungle tribes use their loose and lanky frame to move quickly around the branches of their homeland, the Stone tribes use it to quickly jump out of the way of unstable dunes and collapsing structures.

Stone tribe Morehu do retain the deepest connection to the imperial culture, hoarding whatever artifacts from before the collapse they can find. In fact, the majority of the Morehu in this group are scavengers, wearing collected bits of metal plating and bone spurs over armor formed out of old pottery. However, they have also developed a process of mixing sand with a few crushed artifacts and making yellowish light-weight layered glass under-armor. This same substance can be found at the tip of their Elemental Sandstone Blaster, serving as an informal dual-tipped spearblade, and many Stone Tribe members have added launchers that can blast shards of the broken glass at the creatures roaming the wastes.

Edited by MasterweaverX

Part 3: The Region Of Water

Overflowing snow from the icy northwest of Okoto is bushed back onto the island by the currents, forming a psuedoglacier just east of the great central mountains. Constant heat melts the snow into rapid streams and rivers; half of the northeast island quarter is a treacherous mess of swamps and deltas, and a good portion of the rest has already sunken into a collection of islands surrounding a small lagoon. It is here, on old boats and patched up barges, that one might find the Water Tribes living a fairly well-off life.

Members of the Water Tribes have adapted fairly well to their surroundings, both culturally and physically. Their long legs have strong muscles and the scales on their feet are larger than average, resulting in a very flipper-like shape that gives them powerful swimming speed. This is only further supplemented by the sloped secondary notochord, which not only gives the tribe a staple curve to their look but also allows them to almost instinctively know how best to kick in the water; many Water Tribe members refer to this as “reading the tides.” While the arms of these Morehu are not as lanky as that of the Stone and Jungle tribes, they are just as flexible and help them direct themselves through the rivers and lakes of their home.

Because of their location, Water Tribe Morehu were the least affected by the collapse of the empire and retain the largest knowledge base of their secrets. Many Water Tribe members have collaborated and taught others about the technologies and mystic arts that were once theirs, and they have succeeded in replicating that power to some level. The cyan swimwear they make is crafted from fish-scales, and the flowing blue outergarments are a result of a thriving textile market. What really takes the cake, however, are the Elemental Torpedo Blasters and Turbines crafted from old boats; Water Tribe Morehu use and wear these to scour the ocean floor for sunken relics of the age long past.

• Upvote 1

Part 4: The Region Of Ice

The mountain range on the north edge of the Region of Stone shows many signs of being artificial; mystical glyphs cover every surface, ancient gates lie crumbling in deep tunnels, and the whole thing seems impossible to form naturally. Whatever the history, the mountains block the hot winds from the south from passing, leaving the region to the north to exist in sub-zero temperatures. Ghostly winds from the north wail through icy formations, and blizzards will fly throughout the land, flash-freezing anything caught on the surface. And deep within this tundra lies the Ice Tribes, a hardy and ancient splinter of the Morehu.

Ice Tribe members are a stout and sturdy sort; their compressed bodies might make them the smallest of the six Morehu breeds, but they also tend to have the most endurance. Their legs are flexible enough to leap across the snow in search of stable ground, and their hands have a grip powerful enough to climb the icy cliffs of their homeland. A secondary notochord on their back gives them improved reaction speed, which is perfect for avoiding avalanches and moving quickly off of collapsing ground.

The culture of the Ice Tribes is a strange dichotomy between philosophical pursuits and practical necessities. Their villages tend to be centered around rune-covered altars, and they are the ones most knowledgeable about the mystical side of the Empire, but their harsh environment forces them to attend to survival before magic. Every Ice Tribe Morehu wears a fluffy cyan coat made from the fur of bearded blizzard yaks, keeping only their feet uncovered to better feel the shifts in the snow they stand on. Many also carve thick armor from ice blocks, to better protect them against the creatures roaming the wastes. When Ice Tribe members go hunting, they carry an ice saw and attach a frost bayonet to their elemental blasters; the blizzards can hide terrifying monsters, so it’s always best to be prepared for a sudden melee.

Edited by MasterweaverX

I'm calling them Morehu from now on.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Part 5: The Region Of Fire

The southwest quarter of Okoto is on a tectonic plate being squeezed by two other plates from the east and north. It is therefore understandably unstable and, in fact, a volcanic mountain range runs through the center of the area. Molten slag from no less than three active volcanos pours into the eastward valley, creating a smoking and ever shifting region of lava flows, lakes of fire, and obsidian plains. Most people would never even think of stepping into the region, let alone living there. Most people aren’t Fire Tribe Morehu.

Broad-shouldered and brave of heart, the Morehu in the fire region have adapted physically and culturally to their harsh environment. Their knees are unusually high, letting them sprint quickly away from surprise lava flows, although it does force them to take a wider stance to keep a normal balance. The scales on their hands are thick and black, letting them grab objects that are hotter than what other Morehu could endure. While they do have a secondary notochord, it is heavily compressed into the space between their shoulderblades; however, it does function as a rapid-fire secondary sensory interpretation lobe, giving the fire tribe Morehu increased visual acuity in the ashy clouds of their homeland.

The ancient forge temples around which the Fire Tribes make their homes are mounted onto the sides of the volcanoes. It is here that the greatest power of the Fire Tribes is secured: mastery over the enchanted technology of the once great empire. The gauntlets they make here glow with deflected heat as a Morehu wears it; the boots do as well, but their lower portion is usually blackened by ash. However, the Fire Tribes don’t wear chest armor like other Morehu; they allow sweat to drip down their exposed chest, covering only their groin in a basic loincloth. Those Morehu that traverse the lava plains to gather precious metals for the forges have shoulder mounted elemental blasters and twirl paired flame swords to dissuade the dangerous few beasts lurking in the depths of the lava flows.

Edited by MasterweaverX

Part 6: The Region Of Earth

Lava rarely falls west of the volcanic mountains, but the tectonic forces remain exactly as potent. The pressure of the plates and the underground magma flows have caused a landscape of dramatic plateaus and deep crevices, coated in a layer of heat-formed obsidian that can stretch as far as the eye can see. Step on the wrong spot, though, and the obsidian will shatter beneath you, revealing a hidden network of tunnels packed tightly with rare metals, precious gems, and hardy predators. It is in these darkened mines that the Earth Tribe Morehu make their dwelling.

Members of the Earth Tribes are among the most muscular Morhu specimens on record, their broad chests and powerful limbs defined by muscle developed during their hours digging through the packed dirt and stone around them. The usual pattern of small silver scales on their chest and extremities is absent; thicker black scales cover the areas instead, as it makes it harder for dirt to get underneath and irritate the skin. At first glance, stone tribe Morehu seem to lack a secondary notochord, but it has in fact developed into a branched specimen, which allow them to translate the tremors they feel through their hands and feet on a far more subtle level than any other tribe; in the ever shifting darkness of the tunnels, this ability has saved many lives.

The Earth Tribes believe that Okoto is, on some level, alive. The shifting tunnels are, to them, the writing of the island’s thoughts; they will crush the glowing purple gems they find all around their underground home and paint runic patterns on themselves as an interpretation of these mysterious messages. This same purple dust is painted into enchantments on the star drills their excavators carry, making them all but unbreakable. Unfortunately, whatever shattered the empire also crushed all the old forges in this region; the Morehu have stripped their elemental blasters and refitted them as chest-mounted rapid shooters, but beyond that and their drills they have lost the most of the old world. Still, they will strap chunks of raw ore to their shoulders to carry home and remake into throwing daggers, and they are aware that other tribes are beyond the mountains... they just wish to wait for the opportune moment to seek them out.

Edited by MasterweaverX
  • Upvote 1

Three questions:

1. Should I ask the admins to move this to the story section of the forums?

2. Would you like to see similar in-universe analysis documents of the Toa and the Skull Beings?

3. If I made an animated version of these, would it be best for me to apply to the BZPower you-tube channel with the series or simply post it up on my lonesome?

2. Would you like to see similar in-universe analysis documents of the Toa and the Skull Beings?

3. If I made an animated version of these, would it be best for me to apply to the BZPower you-tube channel with the series or simply post it up on my lonesome?

2. Why not? What you got here seems pretty cool.

3. I think the BZP Youtube opportunity could be good fit for this as an animated series.