The Great Mask Tournament

That's sweet! It's like a type of Kohlii. I like the color choice, designs of both the villagers and the arena, and just how you used pieces so appropriately. No wonder you won. It's so nifty and innovative.

I've actually been hoping to get sets like this for next year. There might be a small amount of luck that you've influenced an official designer to make a set like this for a future wave of Bionicle. Maybe, just maybe...

• Upvote 2

and if this becomes an official set I would definitely buy it.

LEGO DO IT! DO IT NOW!!!

Edited by AidanBionicle1
  • Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

That's sweet! It's like a type of Kohlii. I like the color choice, designs of both the villagers and the arena, and just how you used pieces so appropriately. No wonder you won. It's so nifty and innovative.

Thanks! My brother Lyichir actually helped out a lot with the color choices. In fact, he was going to do a model with a couple Bionicle villagers for his own entry, but he was having a hard time coming up with a creature for them to fight or anything else to turn it into a fully developed play scenario, so he decided to work on a non-Bionicle model and told me I could use the villager idea instead (since he had basically taken a lot of inspiration for the villagers from my own LDD models anyway). He ended up building a cute LEGO System dragon and getting an honorable mention for his creation.

Kolhii was a big source of inspiration for me, as was the Mesoamerican ballgame (which I'd read about as a child in a book called Rain Player). The idea developed pretty organically, though. I had two figures, and couldn't come up with a foe for them to fight, so I asked "what if they're fighting each other?" and then "Why would they be fighting each other?" The idea of a friendly village tournament emerged from there, and so then all I had to do was come up with an objective, a prize, and a set of rules.

I've actually been hoping to get sets like this for next year. There might be a small amount of luck that you've influenced an official designer to make a set like this for a future wave of Bionicle. Maybe, just maybe...

I honestly thought this was a real set. Wow. I really love it, and if this becomes an official set I would definitely buy it.

LEGO DO IT! DO IT NOW!!!

During the competition and the awards ceremony, Andy Woodman (a LEGO Technic designer, who had briefed us on most of our activities), joked a lot about LEGO packing our designs up in boxes and selling them as sets, but I'm pretty sure he was just kidding. I'd love if LEGO took inspiration for future sets from my model, and under the terms of the NDA I signed, they could legally do so without needing to run it by me.

I could see this kind of tournament being sold as a two-character starter set and a series of single-character expansion sets sort of like Speedorz. But by the time of the tour I'm sure planning for the 2016 sets was already well underway, so I'm sure it's too late to see anything like this in the immediate future unless LEGO was already rolling that kind of idea around in their heads even before I was!

• Upvote 8

Thanks! My brother Lyichir actually helped out a lot with the color choices. In fact, he was going to do a model with a couple Bionicle villagers for his own entry, but he was having a hard time coming up with a creature for them to fight or anything else to turn it into a fully developed play scenario, so he decided to work on a non-Bionicle model and told me I could use the villager idea instead (since he had basically taken a lot of inspiration for the villagers from my own LDD models anyway). He ended up building a cute LEGO System dragon and getting an honorable mention for his creation.

Kolhii was a big source of inspiration for me, as was the Mesoamerican ballgame (which I'd read about as a child in a book called Rain Player). The idea developed pretty organically, though. I had two figures, and couldn't come up with a foe for them to fight, so I asked "what if they're fighting each other?" and then "Why would they be fighting each other?" The idea of a friendly village tournament emerged from there, and so then all I had to do was come up with an objective, a prize, and a set of rules.

I honestly thought this was a real set. Wow. I really love it, and if this becomes an official set I would definitely buy it.

LEGO DO IT! DO IT NOW!!!

During the competition and the awards ceremony, Andy Woodman (a LEGO Technic designer, who had briefed us on most of our activities), joked a lot about LEGO packing our designs up in boxes and selling them as sets, but I'm pretty sure he was just kidding. I'd love if LEGO took inspiration for future sets from my model, and under the terms of the NDA I signed, they could legally do so without needing to run it by me.

I could see this kind of tournament being sold as a two-character starter set and a series of single-character expansion sets sort of like Speedorz. But by the time of the tour I'm sure planning for the 2016 sets was already well underway, so I'm sure it's too late to see anything like this in the immediate future unless LEGO was already rolling that kind of idea around in their heads even before I was!

From my experience and knowledge when it comes to lego hinting at something a lot, it tends to mean that it may, or will most certainly happen. But, I don't know,what ever they do in the future lets hope that at least one of those thing is either this or something like this.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

LEGO DO IT! DO IT NOW!!!

From my experience and knowledge when it comes to lego hinting at something a lot, it tends to mean that it may, or will most certainly happen. But, I don't know,what ever they do in the future lets hope that at least one of those thing is either this or something like this.

No, as someone who was also there, I'm pretty sure they were definitely joking, doing things like calling the models we'd all built (which ranged from decent to clearly inexperienced with Lego building in general) "the new 2016 range". The release forms we signed are generally meant just as a way for Lego to cover their bases, so that Lego isn't liable in the event that an upcoming product happens to resemble a fan creation—similar terms and conditions apply to most official Lego contests as well as Lego Ideas.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think the third bonus pic speaks for itself. I'm really happy that you created the winning model all while representing BIONICLE!

The designers liked that it had a clear play scenario and hit the desired price point almost exactly.

That very play scenario does indeed come across quite clearly, with the score counters and launchers and all. It's not too complex a function - but I think it's all the better for it.

• Upvote 2

I would totally buy a set like that! I wouldn't be surprised if we get something similar in the future as it is very reminiscent of the kind of thing we've seen in Ninjago and Chima among others. LEGO really likes it's tournament-type sets it seems. They do offer quite a bit of playability after all. Let's cross our fingers for Kohlii 2.0!

Also, what was the price point you had do design for? My guess is $20-$30?

Edited by ToaDraco

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

While this model is very nice with a well use of parts, I actually hate the idea of Chima-style sets and think if this were to become a set, it must be standalone.

Oh yeah, and before I forget:

Nicely done! :D

Thanks! The main reason I was thinking about expansion sets was just that it would be a way to offer a wider range of villagers. Sort of like the 2003 Matoran figures with their Kolhii gear, only with two of the figures bundled as a "starter set" and the remaining figures given individual challenges so you still have a complete play scenario in each set.

Really wished that Lego actually turned this into a set, but as I've learned, Lego works on sets and play themes 3 years in advance. They might even be creating new Bionicle sets as I am typing this.

Well, these days, LEGO does keep their plans for future sets a bit more flexible than they used to, especially for constraction themes. If they didn't, they wouldn't be able to respond promptly to new insights into which sets sell well and which ones don't. To my knowledge, the typical span of time it takes to bring a set from concept to store shelves these days is around 18 months. But of course, planning an entirely new play theme takes a lot longer. LEGO Friends, for example, was in development for four years.

Nice that sounds like an awesome experience. Lucky, I'm jealous. Did you also receive the new transparent blue kaukau?

Yes, I did! It's quite a beautiful mask, and I'm glad I got to own one since the Mask of Water was my favorite of the new Toa masks to begin with!

For what it's worth, I did ask about how many were being produced. I was told that there are actually 250 of them, but only 200 are intended for fans, and the remaining 50 will be kept for internal use (perhaps gifts for the BIONICLE design team or Inside Tour staff). 

I'm pretty sure Andy was kidding, but if this did end up getting designed as a set I certainly wouldn't complain!

I think the third bonus pic speaks for itself. I'm really happy that you created the winning model all while representing BIONICLE!

The designers liked that it had a clear play scenario and hit the desired price point almost exactly.

That very play scenario does indeed come across quite clearly, with the score counters and launchers and all. It's not too complex a function - but I think it's all the better for it.

Thanks! I definitely think that the play scenario could be developed further, but the general idea seems like a good foundation.

That should totally be a set. Not only would it be a good set, it would also add something unheard of to Bionicle G2 - worldbuilding.

I don't think BIONICLE G2 is too lacking in worldbuilding. The website's already given us some ideas of what the villages of Okoto are like, and even before the start of the summer webisodes we know some of the major landmarks of the Ancient City (the Temple of Creation, the arena, and the cemetery). It's true that we haven't seen too much of the culture of the regular villagers, but on the other hand we know how the tribes select their leaders, where masks come from, and why the island is separated into six elements, things that we didn't even know about the BIONICLE universe back in 2001.

We certainly still don't have an immersive world-building experience like the Mata Nui Online Game, and to be honest I'm not sure we'll ever get one. But let's not underestimate the value of the things we DO already know about this universe.

Truly a wonderful achievement for you, you've made Hapori proud. :]

That'd definitely be a great set. Congratulations for winning!

Thank you both!

I would totally buy a set like that! I wouldn't be surprised if we get something similar in the future as it is very reminiscent of the kind of thing we've seen in Ninjago and Chima among others. LEGO really likes it's tournament-type sets it seems. They do offer quite a bit of playability after all. Let's cross our fingers for Kohlii 2.0!

Also, what was the price point you had do design for? My guess is $20-$30?

They didn't give us a specific numerical value for the price point to design for, in part because there were attendees from all over the world and the prices of sets can vary from country to country even among countries that share the same currency (like the Euro), so a numerical price might mean different things to different people.

Instead, they had a table full of sets as examples of the type of price point they wanted us to aim for. Some of the sets on the table included 75049 Snowspeeder, 60003 Fire Emergency, 70803 Cloud Cuckoo Palace, and 76030 Avengers Hydra Showdown. So I guess they probably wanted us to aim for somewhere between 20 and 40 dollars/euros. I designed this specifically for around a $25 price point.

Really, their main concern with price point was that they didn't want people to overshoot the price point and create some incredibly expensive creation. Some of the models that got honorable mention in the contest, like one builder's playground or another builder's subway and street scene, did overshoot the indicated price point by a bit, though in the case of the playground the designers pointed out that it could probably be brought down to the desired price point just by removing one section of the model.

• Upvote 2

Nice model! While I don't know what other sets you were up against, I can definitely see why you won. :)

Were you the only one who got to keep his set or did they allow everyone to take theirs home? The Inside Tour definitely sounds like an interesting event, were you planning on doing a sort of write up about the whole thing? I for one would be very interested to hear more about it!

Hail Denmark

Very good work, cool design with just a few pieces. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

It would be really cool if it was ever made into a set, I would certainly buy it without a second thought!

Also, it would be awesome if they included the transparent new Hau and Kaukau there too :3

Onua.png

This sig isn't 100% correct, because I talk way too much.

I can easily see how this won the lego tour. These models have simple elegance needed for a playset where nothing needs to be added or taken away. This set would give the buyer score counters, sphere launchers, a goal hoop and two protectors with a  simple yet effective design, while even adding more villagers and world building to the bionicle reboot brand.

• 2 weeks later...