Breaking Point Discussion

Krayzikk

It's no big deal. I just wanted to make sure. 

You have your mess hall, the hangars, some sims near the hangars, probably a place to sleep, some place for people to do paperwork, et cetera.

That makes sense. Last I checked it was normal for most army bases to have some place to eat, so a mess hall isn't too much of a surprise. Hangars would of course be needed to store walkers, though I would be tempted to question how many could feasibly be constructed (you refer to it in the plural, indicating there is more than one hangar at this particular outpost). At least one office for personnel (especially the C.O.) would seem reasonable as it provides an easy spot for the C.O. to be located as well as for him/her to do paperwork. 

I get the sense that there are a lot of people working at the base, which would lead me to think it would make sense for their to be multiple barracks, probably divided by rank (officers vs. enlisted) and unit (i.e. mech operators vs. technicians).

If you don't mind me adding an additional suggestion, some kind of recreation room would probably be a good touch. It wouldn't need to be anything huge, but some place where off-duty personnel can relax. If you're feeling fancy, maybe you could throw in a bar or officer's club of some kind (perhaps we got Starbucks or Tim Hortons to open a counter for us :P ).

It's no big deal. I just wanted to make sure. 

You have your mess hall, the hangars, some sims near the hangars, probably a place to sleep, some place for people to do paperwork, et cetera.

That makes sense. Last I checked it was normal for most army bases to have some place to eat, so a mess hall isn't too much of a surprise. Hangars would of course be needed to store walkers, though I would be tempted to question how many could feasibly be constructed (you refer to it in the plural, indicating there is more than one hangar at this particular outpost). At least one office for personnel (especially the C.O.) would seem reasonable as it provides an easy spot for the C.O. to be located as well as for him/her to do paperwork. 

I get the sense that there are a lot of people working at the base, which would lead me to think it would make sense for their to be multiple barracks, probably divided by rank (officers vs. enlisted) and unit (i.e. mech operators vs. technicians).

If you don't mind me adding an additional suggestion, some kind of recreation room would probably be a good touch. It wouldn't need to be anything huge, but some place where off-duty personnel can relax. If you're feeling fancy, maybe you could throw in a bar or officer's club of some kind (perhaps we got Starbucks or Tim Hortons to open a counter for us :P ).

I'm not planning to do a map, because that's a project that requires a fair bit of work without much purpose.

I can delve into what facilities are present a little more, though. For operational purposes, the ops center is the focal command point of the base. Major McKinley, and presently Major Noah, primarily worked from there. It aggregates all the information coming in from sensors and allows officers to communicate with personnel, particularly pilots. The Colonel has an office implied to be adjacent, with a door allowing direct access. The Major, as the CO for Horizon's Walker division, has an office too but it hasn't shown up yet. McKinley wasn't much for desk work and Noah has been too busy.

There are barracks, but living on base for pilots is not strictly mandated and personnel frequently go into Horizon proper when they're not on duty. There are probably a few different barracks given the size of the base. There is of course a mess hall, as well as recreational facilities. Like I said, though, most people tend to head into town on their off hours.

Thus far there has only been one rather large hangar. R&D probably has their own, but that would exit into the live-fire simulation area rather than out of the base. It is only really for machines that are being tested, rather than actually being used. The exception is the Test Team's personal units which are presently in the main hangar, since they're actually being used.

There are also several warehouses on the grounds, the R&D facilities, and other odds and ends.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Okay then. Now I know what to expect when I'm navigating the base. For some reason I seem

To feel like it's two stories. I'm not sure if that's an accurate estimate.

The Ops Center is probably something I don't need to worry about for now, but I get the sense that it's used for a lot of strategizing and issuing orders. I almost envision something like a futuristic update on one of those old WWII map rooms.

IC: Maya looked around as she stepped into the crowded hangar. If someone had bothered to tell her there was a tournament going on, it would have saved the last few dull hours.

OOC: Maya Logan is open for interaction.

You see, this is why you should probably pay attention to reading the topic.

Because the tournament was announced via intercom like, across the entire base.

And it was on every TV. With commentary.

True, but that doesn't mean she was paying attention at the time.

Um... she was drunk when it was announced. She'd... Uh... had to much to drink and got into a gasoline-drinking contest with some of her former marine buddies... and then passed out in the barracks. Then she was too busy vomiting to pay attention the next morning and then got into a fist fight with one of the mechs and used the winnings to buy two of every animal on Earth, and then she herded them onto a boat, and beat the out of every single one. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edited by Atton Rand

Atton, my buddy, pal, friendo, acquaintance...

You're overthinking this. And then overthinking your excuses for not reading the topic.

No one cares how tall the buildings on-base are,

And a simple "oops" would have sufficed.

EDIT: Hokay, I'd just like to reiterate that smoking in an active hangar is an excellent way to get you, and everyone around you, killed.

Edited by Rache

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

• 3 months later...
Name: Kenneth "Kenny" MacDomnall
Appearance: A raven-haired young man barely out of his teens, Kenny stands at around six feet in height, and possesses the fit body one would expect of a Federation soldier. The rather lackluster regulations faced by Walker Jockeys, however, have allowed the lightly-tanned Celt to wear his hair longer than what would usually be accepted, with his messy locks barely held back from obscuring his hazel eyes by a golden headband. His pilot suit is red and silver in colour, but that colour scheme doesn't usually apply to his casual wear, which tends towards darker shades (unless it's sunny, where he totally goes for white). 

Equipment: Snack pack; booklet containing coupons and rewards programs stamp thingies; photo of his Walker; survival pack; semi-automatic standard issue pistol; phone; Walker Pilot

Skills: Kenny is intimately familiar with the workings of his own Walker, and is thus quite capable in his piloting. He's also pretty quick to pick up on things, but applying them requires a bit more practice for the guy.

Personality: An enthusiastic guy with a good heart, Kenny is certainly someone who you can easily get along with, although at times you might wonder if he's a bit too gung-ho about things. Indeed, he's always willing to lend a hand or get into new things, to the extent that some have described him as a bit of a lost puppy. Not that he isn't without his own eccentricities, of course, because very little can drag him away from his alone time with his Walker, the maintenance of which he dedicates himself to with an almost strange level of intensity. He's also a big eater, and highly loyal to the restaurants he frequents (hence the participation in rewards programs). That's not to say that he isn't super cheap whenever he gets the chance, though. If you're taking him out for food, make sure to emphasise that he has to pay too. And expect him to find a ton of coupons to maximise the amount he gets out of his cash. Big eater and money-tight might seem like oxymorons, but no matter how much he needs to spend, he'll try and spend as little as possible for the most food he can eat.

Bio: Born in Donegal to an Irish father and a Scottish mother, Kenny used to be a kid of many dreams, varying each day from "master food critic" to "movie star". None of them, despite the coolness of giant robots, ever involved joining the army, but at some point after graduation, he decided to enlist to pay for college. It wasn't something he had expected he would do, even after being given an assignment, but he rapidly grew familiar with his Walker, to the extent where he's pretty much fallen in love with it.

Weaknesses: The other pilots assigned to the base. Despite how quickly he's taken to piloting, there are holes in Kenny's unorthodox fighting style, and the guy's definitely still a rookie.

---

Base Model: FAW-014 Scout

Designation: FAW-014SPT Ghillie Dhu

Appearance: The outer plating of the Ghillie Dhu possesses a black coloration, with deep purple present on certain parts of the machine's armor. Its base frame is essentially the same as any other Scout unit, but its head is a visor-type, which has also been equipped with night and thermal vision as to work with its smoke grenades, or when deployed in darkness. A command antenna protrudes from the right side of the helm, increasing its communications range. Present on its legs are landspinners which are capable of folding up when not in use, and are deployed as to increase the speed and acceleration of the machine, particularly on flat surfaces. There are also more thrusters present on its legs, which allow for short, assisted "hops" over obstacles in its path.

Armaments:
-30mm Forearm-Integrated Machinegun x2 
-120mm Standard Smoothbore Shotgun: capable of being loaded with a number of differing round types depending on mission parameters (Canister, HEAT, Kinetic Energy Penetrator).
-Shield: carried in its left arm, and also serves as a sheathe for its vibromachete.
-Vibromachete: stored in shield, also heated.
-Vibroknives x2: two dagger-like weapons for last-ditch close combat encounters that are stored on the sides of its hips.
-Grenade Pack: up to four grenades (two fragmentation types, and two smoke types) hang on a pack across its torso.

Weaknesses: As a Scout, it lacks the durability necessary to handle the advanced technology of the Colonials. Its ranged capabilities and rate of fire are also not particularly powerful against the advanced technology of the Colonials. Its advantage in speed is not that great that it can be safe against the weapons of the advanced technology of the Colonials. It's not made from the advanced technology of the Colonials.

Pilot: Kenneth MacDomnall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxUBurXyc-Y

Edited by 25K When?

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Kristen Marie Varella

Appearance: Average height, lighter weight than average, much to her doctor's dismay. Red hair, cut short, military regulation length. Piercing green eyes. Spends most of her time in military uniform, if off-duty, will rarely bother to wear much more than tank tops and cargo pants. Has small, but numerous amount of scars on her back and shoulders.

Equipment: Raptor, 9mm handgun, survival kit, two combat knives strapped to her legs, deck of cards, music player and headphones (not actively carried with her), as well as a small jewelry box (not actively carried with her).

Skills: Expert in hand-to-hand combat, as well as having a reputation of being a ruthless pilot. Actively assists on the maintenance for her machine. Has some skill at cards, as well as rumored skill at singing and playing the drums.

Personality: Quiet and unassuming, and usually work-oriented as well. Hates being bothered, or touched. Loves to fight, to the point where she has little objections over spilling blood. Somewhat aggressive and hot-blooded while on missions, and freely lets others know her mind when on the job. Despite this, highly distastes claiming lives. Has noted anger management issues- though by this point it's not an easy trigger as when she was younger. Really loyal to the people she refers to as friends. Actually a big music buff, and enjoys playing cards- though solitaire is her favorite. At least makes an attempt to interact with her fellow squadron members, she just doesn't subscribe to small talk.

Bio: Born somewhere on the eastern coast of America, Kristen and her twin brother Christopher were adopted in late childhood by a family of ranchers- Wherein Kristen began to promptly display her tendencies for extreme violence under pressure. Following several years of therapy, and disciplined living, Kristen put the shared trauma of her and her brother's early childhood behind them, and she soon found herself graduating from high school, and soon enlisted in the Federation military. Having been in the military since the age of eighteen, Kristen was one of the first to use Assault Walkers in military practice- And easily adapted to the new technology as one of the Raptor test pilots for the Federation. After an extended medical leave, Kristen has returned to active duty, and has been assigned to the "Raptor Squadron", for one of the machines she had helped to test.

Weakness: Wrath. She relishes close combat maneuvers, and prefers to eschew ranged weaponry.

Base Model: FAW-022 Raptor

Designation: Wild Card

Appearance: Other than its red and crimson color scheme (with white trim), this particular Raptor is emblazoned with the silver emblem of the joker card, as well as the squadron symbol.

Armaments100mm rifle, head-mounted 20mm Vulcan guns, 2 leg-equipped heat knives, heat war handaxes, 4 AIM-120 AMRAAMs, 4 AIM-9 Sidewinders, and chaff launchers.

Weakness: Like all Raptors, fighting in one is exhausting- and the Wild Card is no exception, especially given Kristen's tendency for high-speed hit and runs with her close combat weaponry. Not to mention its lighter armor.

Pilot: Kristen Varella.

Edited by AuRon the champion

Kenneth approved, unless fellow staff have any objections. I'll be keeping an eye on on the landspinner use for now, though.

Kristen approved, barring the possibility Ty notes something I don't.

That said be aware that she wouldn't have been one of the original Walker test pilots; that was a pretty small group, and one that was a few years ahead of her. That said, her being a Raptor test pilot is fine. She'd have been in the prime group to be chosen for that.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, folks. Turns out adjusting to a just-under-full-time schedule takes a little work.

Short version, since I don't have a full write-up handy for the post yet, is that there's going to be a mini-mission. An away mission to retrieve some intel from a captured Federation facility, combine a little mecha action with some stuff on the ground and inside the facility. If you've got multiple characters you might just want to send one, but we can talk about that.

If those still around interested can let me know, that'd be awesome. 

Edited by Peele

fK5oqYf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Deepest apologies for my absence; work and family matters kept me pretty busy over the last month. I have a post in the works to get things going, expect it by the end of the weekend. I'm very thankful to those of you that have kept with me through my...

Admittedly pretty sporadic activity.

fK5oqYf.jpg